In America, atheists are still in the closet

Apr 11, 2012 Full story: Spiked 47,724

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Full Story

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#39647 Oct 4, 2012
Are NOT Enough

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#39648 Oct 4, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>There just are enough John W. Boothes anymore.
Lol.

Methinks that most statesmen must have a high BS percentage.

However, I believe in two components in a democracy:

1) The ruling party must not be too strong. If the Dems stuff up, the Republicans take over. And vice versa. Hold the ruling party to a high degree of service!

2) Never vote for a party with whose morals you do not align. If the party promotes values that does not sit well with you, well, don't vote for them.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#39649 Oct 4, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol.
Methinks that most statesmen must have a high BS percentage.
However, I believe in two components in a democracy:
1) The ruling party must not be too strong. If the Dems stuff up, the Republicans take over. And vice versa. Hold the ruling party to a high degree of service!
2) Never vote for a party with whose morals you do not align. If the party promotes values that does not sit well with you, well, don't vote for them.
This works too.
"An ideal form of government is democracy tempered with assassination. "
Voltaire

#39650 Oct 4, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>
This works too.
"An ideal form of government is democracy tempered with assassination. "
Voltaire
:)

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#39651 Oct 4, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Please.
We *live* across the pond. We *live* in the world outside America. Seeing a stable Dollar by which we run our business is not propaganda.
<quoted text>
That's a stupid argument.
<quoted text>
Like the elderly, children and your troops?
Oh, okay.
Rational, responsible adults would take care of their own elderly and children. Those same rational adults know we have an obligation to care for those who defend us in battle. The system is breaking down because rational, responsible adults are not well represented in Washington.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#39652 Oct 4, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Violence is created by those who want violence , no filmmaker creates violence, they create films .
The film does not make people mad, people make themselves mad.
Some do not need a reason to be mad, the truth is if you are not in control of your actions then wth is?
People can say you made me mad, but the truth is.
We make ourselves mad no one else can control you like that, unless you have a very weak mind that is.
In the UK (and much of Europe) and most Muslim countries have laws of incitement.

People are responsible for their own actions. The filmmaker is responsible for making the film, he cannot just shrug his shoulders and say “so what, I was just exercising my right of free speech”. His film was made for one reason and one reason only, to incite hatred and violence. He has the duty to consider the effect his actions have on others that is what makes us human.

The people it offended and consequently went off and killed people are responsible for their actions, that is not to say that they were not provoked by that film.

You appear to be ignoring the cultural, religious and legal beliefs of more or less everywhere else in the world except America. I really thought that sort of thing was below you.

http://dawn.com/2012/09/30/defamation-of-reli...

#39653 Oct 4, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Rational, responsible adults would take care of their own elderly and children. Those same rational adults know we have an obligation to care for those who defend us in battle. The system is breaking down because rational, responsible adults are not well represented in Washington.
Yo mate!

I trust you are well.

Yes, rational, responsible adults who are able to.

What about those who has fallen on hard times, amigo?

Society must have a safety net. Hell, I am young. I am willing to bet that a risky investment may be my undoing. Is it fair to then be on the streets because of a stroke of misfortune?

#39654 Oct 4, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither the film maker or the film had anything to do with the violence.
Sorry you are against the First Amendment.
Any other parts of the Bill of Rights you want to do away with?
Or just when free speech doesn't suit you?
You are an idiot, and an apologist for muslim terrorists.
Congratulations.
There you go again butt (oops buck) making assumptions

Wrong, everyone is responsible for their actions, his action was making a film to incite hatred and violence, as I said to Aura he cannot just shrug his shoulders and say “so what”. I realise that you are of that opinion that he can, convicts usually are but that is not typical of human society. However I can completely understand why an ex con like you gets confused between bloody minded idiocy and responsibility.

Where did I say I was against the first amendment? All I have said about any amendment is that they are amendments to the “unalienable rights” offered in the constitution, which I find rather amusing.

I thought you had learned you lesson but no, you go round and round in circles just as the good butt crack should- So do you want to go into the name calling again you ignorant pratt of an apologist for paedophiles?

Nice one and best wishes

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#39655 Oct 4, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
In the UK (and much of Europe) and most Muslim countries have laws of incitement.
People are responsible for their own actions. The filmmaker is responsible for making the film, he cannot just shrug his shoulders and say “so what, I was just exercising my right of free speech”. His film was made for one reason and one reason only, to incite hatred and violence. He has the duty to consider the effect his actions have on others that is what makes us human.
The people it offended and consequently went off and killed people are responsible for their actions, that is not to say that they were not provoked by that film.
You appear to be ignoring the cultural, religious and legal beliefs of more or less everywhere else in the world except America. I really thought that sort of thing was below you.

Have you seen the film? It is a stupid satire.
What is beneath me is the proposed censorship of the freedom of expression. As with your link here , I have to totally agree with Obama here.

"President Obama argued for absolute freedom of expression, asserting that he defended this right even for those who criticised him. He described the video as “disgusting” but condemned the violent reactions to it in the Muslim world especially the murder of the US ambassador in Libya. Obama opined that restraints on freedom of expression result in repression, particularly against minorities."

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#39656 Oct 4, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Democracy: You get to choose the turd representing you
I just want it to be over.

It's cloggin' up my Interwebs and my TV.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#39657 Oct 4, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>There just are enough John W. Boothes anymore.
No, the current crop of actors is just awful.

#39658 Oct 4, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
What is beneath me is the proposed censorship of the freedom of expression. As with your link here , I have to totally agree with Obama here.
"President Obama argued for absolute freedom of expression, asserting that he defended this right even for those who criticised him. He described the video as “disgusting” but condemned the violent reactions to it in the Muslim world especially the murder of the US ambassador in Libya. Obama opined that restraints on freedom of expression result in repression, particularly against minorities."
I’m not bothered what it is, it is deeply offensive to over 1/3 of the worlds population and simply objectionable to most other people. It breaks laws in the majority of countries in the world. It was made fraudulently with dubbed vocals with the sole intention of inciting hatred. And for this you do not think the filmmaker was responsible for making his film?

Tell me if your next door neighbour walked up to your house and crapped on the doorstep would you consider joe bloggs in the next town responsible or the neighbour who befouled your step responsible?

I was hoping you would read that link as a whole and consider the whole document, not just a selective part of a paragraph. It goes a long way do explaining and understanding the divide between the west and the Muslim world.

#39659 Oct 4, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I’m not bothered what it is, it is deeply offensive to over 1/3 of the worlds population and simply objectionable to most other people. It breaks laws in the majority of countries in the world. It was made fraudulently with dubbed vocals with the sole intention of inciting hatred. And for this you do not think the filmmaker was responsible for making his film?
Tell me if your next door neighbour walked up to your house and crapped on the doorstep would you consider joe bloggs in the next town responsible or the neighbour who befouled your step responsible?
I was hoping you would read that link as a whole and consider the whole document, not just a selective part of a paragraph. It goes a long way do explaining and understanding the divide between the west and the Muslim world.
Double Fine no savvy

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#39660 Oct 4, 2012
SupaAFC wrote:
<quoted text>
Nor should the twelth amendment that clearly states that the Electoral College, and only the Electoral College, votes for the president of the United States.
Yet, Barefoot claims that the people do.
Funny how you have to paraphrase every thing I say.

Funny what you claim I say never fits what I actually say.

I have NEVER said CITIZENS of the US vote directly for the president of the USA.

I know you are confused as you do not get any kind of vote for the head of sate in the UK. Not a direct vote, not an indirect vote, you get no vote whatsoever.

NONE.

As you get no vote for the larger half of the Parliament: none. ZERO.

And as you get no vote- NONE- for the Prime minister.

You get to vote for a MP in the lower house.

BTW: STILL WAITING FOR YOU TO BACK THAT CLAIM THAT YOU GET NO VOTE FOR MPS, sUPERfAG.

fUNNY HOW YOU KEEP SKIPPING OVER THAT.

Location hidden

#39661 Oct 4, 2012
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
Polls Show a Strong Debate for Romney
If only draft dodger Romney got extra points for TV ratings.

Location hidden

#39662 Oct 4, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Democracy: You get to choose the turd representing you
Maybe you want to go back to the a turd that represents a tiny minority of white people?

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#39663 Oct 4, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>

nobady died. i wonder why..

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#39664 Oct 4, 2012

Location hidden

#39665 Oct 4, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Rational, responsible adults would take care of their own elderly and children.
What planet are you on?

"Rational" responsible adults take care of themselves. SSI is something rational responsible adults have paid into for their working lives and 401Ks and IRAs pay for the the nicer things that SSI doesn't cover.

Children grow up and pay their own way.

There are occasions in many "rational" responsible adults lives where temporary circumstances they have no control over make it impossible to cover needs and that is what government is for.

Location hidden

#39666 Oct 4, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
It isn't.

It was created for the specific intent to inflame discord among Muslims.

I don't count NAZI propaganda films "satire" either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 4 min serfs up 2,328
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 29 min ChristineM 232,922
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 1 hr _Bad Company 147
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 4 hr Thinking 3
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 13 hr Mikko 2
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 15 hr Thinking 3
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) Sat polymath257 23,199
More from around the web