In America, atheists are still in the...

In America, atheists are still in the closet

There are 47711 comments on the Spiked story from Apr 11, 2012, titled In America, atheists are still in the closet. In it, Spiked reports that:

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spiked.

wolverine

Greeley, CO

#36855 Aug 25, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't that what Paris Hilton said?
LOL
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#36856 Aug 25, 2012
Malakal wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm East Coast.
The Island then lejeune
Oorah!
Boot Camp And Training At Pendleton

Father And Brother Were Both Jarheads

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#36857 Aug 25, 2012
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
Boot Camp And Training At Pendleton
Hollywood Marine, eh?

SORRY!

Since: Mar 11

United States

#36858 Aug 25, 2012
A buddy of mine who is a real Marine not just a wannabe like you says. How are Marines like bananas?

They start green turn yellow and die in bunches!

Lmfao!!
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>Boot Camp And Training At Pendleton

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#36859 Aug 26, 2012
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
First...Im A 6'4 225 lbs...Ex Marine.
Second, The Speration Of Church And State Was Put Into Place To Protect Religion From Government....Nothing Else.
And, The Reason The Christian Religion Was Not Considered The National Religion, Was To Allow All Religions To Worship Freely In America...Atheism Was Not Even A Bump In The Road.
Ridiculous statement, considering that most of the Founders were students of history, and the 30 Years War was fairly recent history to them (about like the Civil War is for us...that is, we still get in arguments over it).

The 30 Years War was largely due to religious influence on government and it devastated central Europe. So, yes, the Founders were very interested in keeping religion out of government (as well as keeping government out of religion). BTW, there are some place, such as Northern Ireland, where they STILL are fighting that battle 350 years later.

Your statement is the type of ignorance that perpetuates with fundamentalists...thinking reality somehow conforms to what you wish was true.

You should be thankful that religion IS kept out of our government, because the odds of YOUR religion being the one in power is very small. Then YOU would be the heretic and the one being discriminated against.

Better for all to have it the way it is...no government in religion AND no religion in government.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#36860 Aug 26, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
A buddy of mine who is a real Marine not just a wannabe like you says. How are Marines like bananas?
They start green turn yellow and die in bunches!
Lmfao!!
<quoted text>
A friend of mine who had been in the 1st Armor Cav Div in the Army described their division badge as...

"The horses they never rode, the line they never held and the yellow for the stripe down their backs."

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#36861 Aug 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, an atheist's atheist.
actually, he was a deist.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#36862 Aug 26, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Faux news why am I not surprised?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/...

Obama up heavily on the electoral map.
It's a good thing that doesn't go by state size.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#36863 Aug 26, 2012
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
A friend of mine who had been in the 1st Armor Cav Div in the Army described their division badge as...
"The horses they never rode, the line they never held and the yellow for the stripe down their backs."
Makes me want to repeat our Naval Communicator motto ...

"We are the unwilling, led by the incompetent, to do the unnecessary, for the ungrateful".

Of course ... that was when they (we) had the Draft. The Navy was the "go to" service if you didn't relish becoming a Vietnam bound ground-pounder. Truly, history has shown that particular Patriotic Spasm, that skirmish in the Fight to Stop Communism, was a tragic act of futility. EVERYONE knows our REAL enemies are Muslims, Atheists, Gay people and the hordes of illegal immigrants. Everyone knows.

Texas, USA

#36864 Aug 26, 2012
It's an "all volunteer" military now and somehow the character of it all seems changed. The draft is "bad" and all that, but ... shouldn't you HAVE to be forced to go to war? To kill? How is the programming on our young people better or different than what goes into a good Jihadist? The end result is pretty much the same.

I've only met one young man that has gone to Iraq/Afghanistan multiple times and he kind of creeps me out. I think he likes it.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#36865 Aug 26, 2012
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Ridiculous statement, considering that most of the Founders were students of history, and the 30 Years War was fairly recent history to them (about like the Civil War is for us...that is, we still get in arguments over it).
The 30 Years War was largely due to religious influence on government and it devastated central Europe. So, yes, the Founders were very interested in keeping religion out of government (as well as keeping government out of religion). BTW, there are some place, such as Northern Ireland, where they STILL are fighting that battle 350 years later.
Your statement is the type of ignorance that perpetuates with fundamentalists...thinking reality somehow conforms to what you wish was true.
You should be thankful that religion IS kept out of our government, because the odds of YOUR religion being the one in power is very small. Then YOU would be the heretic and the one being discriminated against.
Better for all to have it the way it is...no government in religion AND no religion in government.
Absolutely a theocracy is far worse than a dictator. A dictators rule abruptly ends with his demise. A theocracy could possibly last indefinitely. The same reasons America put limitations on the years of Presidency.To stop a corrupt entity from gaining absolute hold on power.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#36866 Aug 26, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
He is on the atheist lists. As someone pointed out, he probably just pandered to the popular ideas back then, while I see no evidence either way it does make sense. Lots of atheists in the 60's and 70's would make agnostic like statements to protect themselves.
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#36867 Aug 26, 2012
Government Has Not Stayed out Of Religion. In fact, Governments Duties Are Limited, But They Do Everything But Stay With-in Those Powers.

Another Fact Is.. They Neither Protect The Constitution From All Enimies Foriegn And Domestic,
Nor Carry out Their Duties.

In Our History, This Bunch Would Be Tried For Treason.

Hell, They Dont Even Protect The Borders....But They Demand You Buy Their Health Care, Which Was Passed Without The Support OF America. And Try To Force Their Believes Upon The Religious, Against Their Will.

NO....This Country Was, Has, And Always Will Be A Majority Of Christians....Pray They Dont Get Pissed

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#36868 Aug 26, 2012
wolverine wrote:
Government Has Not Stayed out Of Religion. In fact, Governments Duties Are Limited, But They Do Everything But Stay With-in Those Powers.
Another Fact Is.. They Neither Protect The Constitution From All Enimies Foriegn And Domestic,
Hell, They Dont Even Protect The Borders....But They Demand You Buy Their Health Care, Which Was Passed Without The Support OF America. And Try To Force Their Believes Upon The Religious, Against Their Will.
NO....This Country Was, Has, And Always Will Be A Majority Of Christians....Pray They Dont Get Pissed
When religions are run like corporations, then the government should get involved.

Texas, USA

#36869 Aug 26, 2012
wolverine wrote:
Why? What they gonna do? Turn the other cheek? Ohhhhhhhh ... I'm scared!!!

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#36870 Aug 26, 2012
Lol! Awesome
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>A friend of mine who had been in the 1st Armor Cav Div in the Army described their division badge as...

Monkey's Paw

Brooklyn, NY

#36871 Aug 26, 2012
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>Boot Camp And Training At Pendleton

Keeping in the family nice.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#36872 Aug 26, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Somehow, before the day is over, some fundie will turn him into a Christian.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#36873 Aug 26, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Makes me want to repeat our Naval Communicator motto ...
"We are the unwilling, led by the incompetent, to do the unnecessary, for the ungrateful".
Of course ... that was when they (we) had the Draft. The Navy was the "go to" service if you didn't relish becoming a Vietnam bound ground-pounder. Truly, history has shown that particular Patriotic Spasm, that skirmish in the Fight to Stop Communism, was a tragic act of futility. EVERYONE knows our REAL enemies are Muslims, Atheists, Gay people and the hordes of illegal immigrants. Everyone knows.
OMG! A person from TX who isn't a fundamentalist terrorist!

Welcome aboard.
Monkey's Paw

Brooklyn, NY

#36874 Aug 26, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Hollywood Marine, eh?

SORRY!
Yes I know that saying too.
It's the Parris Island boot camp that calls the Pendleton boot campers that.
Parris Island is full of snakes and bugs but Hollywood Marines have to run and hike the hills. A real killer.
So Malakal is a Parris Island and Wolverine is Pendleton. What are you?
You sound like an East Coast.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 5 min Eagle 12 7,694
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 5 min Richardfs 240,136
Reason is the root of mental illness!!! 30 min Amused 4
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr NoahLovesU 19,153
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 1 hr The_Box 141
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 5 hr Thinking 2,248
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) Tue Reason Personified 166
More from around the web