I'm an atheist but a I won't try and deconvert anyone | Andrew Brown

May 27, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Guardian

New atheism won't tolerate the freedom to believe in God. But life's far more interesting if we admit we might be wrong, right? Last week I interviewed the philosopher Daniel Dennett about new atheism, which will be up on this site soon.

Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Jun 26, 2013

“you must not give faith”

Since: Jul 12

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
May 27, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

This quote shows every thing wrong in this article.
"New atheism won't tolerate the freedom to believe in God. But life's far more interesting if we admit we might be wrong, right?"

Funny I don't see Richard Dawkins sporting a hammer and sickle burning churchs, there is not one new atheist that is trying to ban religion but yet there are theists that ban atheism. The worst of the new atheists come no were close to the worst the theists have to offer.

If there is a group of people that think they can't be wrong it's religious theists, as many of them claim that an INFALLIBlE being gave them knowage. Again the worst new atheists are not as bad as the worst theists.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
May 27, 2013
 

Judged:

3

1

I stopped reading after the first 2 sentences, since they are based on lies. What most new and old atheists won't tolerate anymore is their religion being imposed on nonbelievers and using taxpayer money to support their mythologies. And if they want to invoke Pascal's Wager, they should be tolerating their freedom to believe in the multitude of gods just to hedge their bets.

Since: Sep 10

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
May 27, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

People are not "converted" into a religion nor "deconverted" out of it.

They are programmed and deprogrammed. All religions are cults.

.

“Handsome white and black men”

Since: Jan 10

Interracial love

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
May 30, 2013
 

Judged:

3

Us atheists must be more vigilant in trying to win over others because we cannot sit back while religious bigotry does it's harm.

Since: Sep 10

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
May 30, 2013
 

Judged:

2

emperorjohn wrote:
Us atheists must be more vigilant in trying to win over others because we cannot sit back while religious bigotry does it's harm.
Atheism has one distinct advantage: education inevitably turns people into atheists. Learning HOW to think is more powerful than being told what to think.

As long as kids' curiosity can be piqued, as long as they're not completely isolated and fed dogma (re: "homeschooling" and christian madrasas), there's hope.

“Handsome white and black men”

Since: Jan 10

Interracial love

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
May 30, 2013
 

Judged:

2

P_Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism has one distinct advantage: education inevitably turns people into atheists. Learning HOW to think is more powerful than being told what to think.
As long as kids' curiosity can be piqued, as long as they're not completely isolated and fed dogma (re: "homeschooling" and christian madrasas), there's hope.
I know that education certainty lead me to atheism. The other part was finding out how ruly fked up god is.
Image

Morley, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jun 18, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

2

emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that education certainty lead me to atheism. The other part was finding out how ruly fked up god is.
Education led me to atheism, too.
That's why I became a teacher.
So many teachers are christians who try to force their beliefs onto students--I work with a science teacher who openly refuses to teach evolution or even let it be discussed among students in her class!!! AND the school board and principal support her!!! So I tell the students if they want to learn about evolution, I will teach it to them after school. I'm not *certified* to teach science, so I can't talk about it during the school day. As long as I hold my discussions after school, though, I can get away with it, and I've helped several students to de-program that way.

I don't believe that atheists should be quiet and not try to win others over to our side, as long as religious fanatics are shoving the bible down our throats. The day religion leaves education and politics alone is the day I will say,'okay fellow atheists, enough is enough, we can quiet down now.' Until then, I'll remain a militant atheist.

“Handsome white and black men”

Since: Jan 10

Interracial love

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jun 18, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

Image wrote:
<quoted text>
Education led me to atheism, too.
That's why I became a teacher.
So many teachers are christians who try to force their beliefs onto students--I work with a science teacher who openly refuses to teach evolution or even let it be discussed among students in her class!!! AND the school board and principal support her!!! So I tell the students if they want to learn about evolution, I will teach it to them after school. I'm not *certified* to teach science, so I can't talk about it during the school day. As long as I hold my discussions after school, though, I can get away with it, and I've helped several students to de-program that way.
I am going to teach as well. My opinion is that you should complain to higher authorities to get that dumb bytch fired. Usually. I would not do that, but she is a teacher who is deliberately not educating her pupils. We don't need a-wholes like her poisoning our classrooms.
Image wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe that atheists should be quiet and not try to win others over to our side, as long as religious fanatics are shoving the bible down our throats. The day religion leaves education and politics alone is the day I will say,'okay fellow atheists, enough is enough, we can quiet down now.' Until then, I'll remain a militant atheist.
I agree with you all the way. As long as these basta-r-ds try to force their views down my throat, I will respond back.
Image

Morley, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jun 24, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

2

emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text> I am going to teach as well. My opinion is that you should complain to higher authorities to get that dumb bytch fired. Usually. I would not do that, but she is a teacher who is deliberately not educating her pupils. We don't need a-wholes like her poisoning our classrooms.
<quoted text>
I agree with you all the way. As long as these basta-r-ds try to force their views down my throat, I will respond back.
Right before the students let out for the summer, a kindergarten teacher (also pastor's wife) gave one of her students a bible to read because apparently, his house didn't own one. He showed me his new book and he was very excited, and all I could think about was, CONTENT!!!

The Bible is NOT a book for children! It has stories that are so sick and twisted, it makes my skin crawl! It is sure to give little children nightmares.

But I can't say anything because I could get fired. I don't guess the parents said anything, either, because she's still teaching. This indoctrination is disgusting--if they didn't go after little kids, they wouldn't have a religion left.

*On a good note, a few weeks before that happened I had an older student verbally assault another one for being an atheist. It happened in my class so I was able to shut that kid down fast and put him in his place--he hasn't spoken a word in my class since! Apparently, he picked on this student in other classes and the teachers would either let it happen or TAKE SIDES with the abuser!

“Handsome white and black men”

Since: Jan 10

Interracial love

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jun 24, 2013
 
Image wrote:
<quoted text>
Right before the students let out for the summer, a kindergarten teacher (also pastor's wife) gave one of her students a bible to read because apparently, his house didn't own one. He showed me his new book and he was very excited, and all I could think about was, CONTENT!!!
The Bible is NOT a book for children! It has stories that are so sick and twisted, it makes my skin crawl! It is sure to give little children nightmares.
But I can't say anything because I could get fired. I don't guess the parents said anything, either, because she's still teaching. This indoctrination is disgusting--if they didn't go after little kids, they wouldn't have a religion left.
*On a good note, a few weeks before that happened I had an older student verbally assault another one for being an atheist. It happened in my class so I was able to shut that kid down fast and put him in his place--he hasn't spoken a word in my class since! Apparently, he picked on this student in other classes and the teachers would either let it happen or TAKE SIDES with the abuser!
They have hate for us because they believe that we are evil, godless people
Here is a thread where they claim that love cannot exist without God.

“Handsome white and black men”

Since: Jan 10

Interracial love

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jun 24, 2013
 
Freedom of Thought

Morley, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jun 26, 2013
 

Judged:

2

emperorjohn wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/rel igion/atheism/TNR2991UBDMUUQLG 4#lastPost
Wow, what a mess!

How do these people sleep at night??

Intellectual dishonesty must get them off or something.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 35 min Igor Trip 21,393
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Aura Mytha 224,164
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Patrick 217
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 12 hr DonPanic 1,285
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 15 hr religionisillness 271
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 15 hr religionisillness 370
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Thu religionisillness 834
•••
•••