Atheist Genocides?

Atheist Genocides?

There are 917 comments on the Examiner.com story from Dec 10, 2011, titled Atheist Genocides?. In it, Examiner.com reports that:

They say it isn't really a debate until somebody mentions Hitler, and the Freethinker's recent debate on the source of morality was no exception.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner.com.

First Prev
of 46
Next Last
Mr Smartypants

United States

#2 Dec 14, 2011
If atheism turned people into murderers, then Sweden would have the highest murder rate in the world. No, it's actually Catholic countries like Guatemala and El Salvador that have the highest murder rates.

What caused the horrific genocides in the Soviet Union, China, and Cambodia was a fanatical devotion to Marxism (and not the Groucho variety). Marxism isn't just a few ideas about how government should be run; it's an entire world view that, like any religion, explains the world and man's role in it. That's why I consider Marxism, Naziism, Objectivism, and other all-encompassing political isms to be quasi-religions.

I'm just finishing up watching "The East is Red", a Chinese musical that celebrates the communist takeover of China with interpretive dance (!). It really is a world view. And there's the idea that some dictatorships are 'cults of personality' centered around a secular messiah like Kim Il-Jung or Chairman Meow. If you lived in the Soviet Union during the reign of Uncle Joe and lived in Stalingrad or Stalinabad, or along the Stalin River, or in the Stalin Mountains, or in any of a zillion villages with a statue of Stalin, you might get the idea that he's sort of an ersatz Jesus Christ for Marxists--and you'd be right.

No, what ultimately causes genocides is when zillions of people get fanatical about some political or religious ideology. Communists and religious Dominionists might think they're on opposite sides, but I think it's ultimately the same personality disorder that causes people to become fanatics.5
Christopher Hitchens

Roslyn, NY

#3 Dec 14, 2011
Atheist-Get saved and serve the living God

http://www.wayoflife.org/

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#4 Dec 14, 2011
Did you include abortions? Abortions is a form of murder you know...
Mr Smartypants

United States

#5 Dec 14, 2011
Christopher Hitchens wrote:
Atheist-Get saved and serve the living God
So, you didn't bother to actually read and respond to my post, but just posted your spam and then ran? My post was about brainless fanatics, and you inadvertently supported my argument. Good show, Einstein!
Mr Smartypants

United States

#6 Dec 14, 2011
TheJazuma wrote:
Something like 4% of Americans self-identify as atheists, and 87% of Americans call themselves Christian. Support for abortion in America has been over 50% since long before Roe vs. Wade. Therefore, a lot of people who support abortion in America are Christians. Heck, I've known a few liberal Christians in my life who reluctantly support abortions.

Besides, the lack of a belief in a god is just the lack of belief in a god. Being an atheist doesn't automatically make a person a pro-choicer--I've known one or two atheists over the years who are actually pro-life. Abortion is a political position that's just as much of an ism as communism or Objectivism. Ever watch videos of fanatical feminazis who wave coat hangers at pro-choice rallies? They're just as fanatical as any medieval Crusader or hard-core Marxist. And it's religious and political fanaticism, and not just the lack of belief in a deity, that causes all the genocides of the world...

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7 Dec 14, 2011
TheJazuma wrote:
No-- murder is defined by the Law, and the Law defines it as the involuntary ending of a human life.

A zygote is not fully human-- not yet, and not under the Law either.

If you don't like the Law of the USA?

You are free to go to Saudi Arabia, where THEIR Law will have you killed for even talking about abortions, let alone doing one.

You'd LOVE it there I suspect: women are property, belief in god is mandatory (upon pain of death) and so on.

Just your sort of country.

Location hidden

#8 Dec 14, 2011
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
No-- murder is defined by the Law, and the Law defines it as the involuntary ending of a human life.
You are free to go to Saudi Arabia, where THEIR Law will have you killed for even talking about abortions, let alone doing one.
You'd LOVE it there I suspect: women are property, belief in god is mandatory (upon pain of death) and so on.
I'm not American, I'm Australian living in the Oz.
just because a law says it is lawful does not make it morally acceptable. Morals are different to laws. Also, I think you are taking this way out of context...

The pro-choice movement is similar to the pro-foreskin movement where it wants the individual to decide for themselves, not for their parents to make life changing decisions.

When a sperm cell meets an egg and becomes fertilized. Life, has already started. An abortion is a way to end that "life", this is where there are moral issues.

Location hidden

#9 Dec 14, 2011
Mr Smartypants wrote:
<quoted text>
Something like 4% of Americans self-identify as atheists, and 87% of Americans call themselves Christian. Support for abortion in America has been over 50% since long before Roe vs. Wade. Therefore, a lot of people who support abortion in America are Christians. Heck, I've known a few liberal Christians in my life who reluctantly support abortions.
Besides, the lack of a belief in a god is just the lack of belief in a god. Being an atheist doesn't automatically make a person a pro-choicer--I've known one or two atheists over the years who are actually pro-life. Abortion is a political position that's just as much of an ism as communism or Objectivism. Ever watch videos of fanatical feminazis who wave coat hangers at pro-choice rallies? They're just as fanatical as any medieval Crusader or hard-core Marxist. And it's religious and political fanaticism, and not just the lack of belief in a deity, that causes all the genocides of the world...
I see your points.
paul shykora arts

Calgary, Canada

#10 Dec 14, 2011
..and Vhaaaat is living in the OZ,girl???...eh...
Christopher Hitchens

Roslyn, NY

#11 Dec 14, 2011
ATHEIST BIBLE PROPHECY COMES TRUE

The Bible tells of what is coming in the near future. And the news. A one world government. China is pushing for a one world currency and they are preparing for war. Check it out. It's so unreal it's like a dream...
Also, Israel and Iran are probably going to war... things are getting crazy and unstable in this world guys... the New World Order will come soon. My advice is to get saved...
Matthew 24:6-7 - You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places.
The book of revelations talks alot about this end times.
Christopher Hitchens

Roslyn, NY

#12 Dec 14, 2011
paul shykora arts

Calgary, Canada

#13 Dec 14, 2011
..YOU's ''Double-Talk'' with much---Fear and propaganda,here....!!...eh...s halom
paul shykora arts

Calgary, Canada

#14 Dec 14, 2011
...and dHere is NO ...END-TIME's,here....the WORLD-Will just go on and on....evolving...changing...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15 Dec 14, 2011
TheJazuma wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not American, I'm Australian living in the Oz.
just because a law says it is lawful does not make it morally acceptable. Morals are different to laws. Also, I think you are taking this way out of context...
The pro-choice movement is similar to the pro-foreskin movement where it wants the individual to decide for themselves, not for their parents to make life changing decisions.
When a sperm cell meets an egg and becomes fertilized. Life, has already started. An abortion is a way to end that "life", this is where there are moral issues.
There is life in carrots-- yet you eat them without a second thought.

In other words, not all life forms are the same.

By >>law<< murder is defined as the un-willful death of a human being.

And by >>law<< you're not a human being until you are born.

So saying "abortion is murder" is a flat lie, designed to create false feelings of sympathy for your lie.

Morality has nothing to do with it, here-- murder is a legal term.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#16 Dec 14, 2011
A... <SPAM deleted>
Why do you cut and paste (steal) stuff that is not yours?

Do you think it's okay to steal?

Hmmm.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17 Dec 14, 2011
Aaaah!

Another Lying For Jesus website, designed to take money from stupid people.

I see it worked on you...

Location hidden

#18 Dec 14, 2011
<quoted text>
There is life in carrots-- yet you eat them without a second thought.
In other words, not all life forms are the same.
By >>law<< murder is defined as the un-willful death of a human being.
And by >>law<< you're not a human being until you are born.
So saying "abortion is murder" is a flat lie, designed to create false feelings of sympathy for your lie.
Morality has nothing to do with it, here-- murder is a legal term.
http://www.princeton.edu/~prolife/articles/em...

you cannot be a "human" without going through the zygote process.
Amused

Worcester, MA

#19 Dec 14, 2011
ATHEIST BIBLE PROPHECY COMES TRUE
The Bible tells of what is coming in the near future. And the news. A one world government. China is pushing for a one world currency and they are preparing for war. Check it out. It's so unreal it's like a dream...
Also, Israel and Iran are probably going to war... things are getting crazy and unstable in this world guys... the New World Order will come soon. My advice is to get saved...
Matthew 24:6-7 - You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places.
The book of revelations talks alot about this end times.
You forgot to include this part: Matthew 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

As well as these bits:

Matthew 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Matthew 26:63 But Jesus held his peace, And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.
26:64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Mark 9:1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

Mark 13:30 Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.

Mark 14:61 But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?
14:62 And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Luke 21:31 So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand.
21:32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

John 21:21 Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?
21:22 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me.
21:23 Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?

Romans 13:11 And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
13:12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.

1 Corinthians 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

1 Thessalonians 2:19 For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?

Hebrews 10:37 For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.

James 5:8 Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.

John 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

All of these verses prophesy that jesus would return imminently, within the lifetime of those who had actually seen him. As we know, that was 2,000 years ago, and it is safe to say that all of the people within whose lifetimes jesus was supposed to return have been dead for quite a long time. So much for fulfilled prophesies.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#20 Dec 15, 2011
TheJazuma wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.princeton.edu/~prolife/articles/em...
you cannot be a "human" without going through the zygote process.
According to the law (which defines 'murder' as a crime)?

You must be born and breathing to qualify.

Sorry but your post ignores this point and is a non-sequitur.

“The Black Mermaid”

Location hidden

#21 Dec 15, 2011
<quoted text>
Bob, it's been a long time - how you been? Happy holidays, dear :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 46
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Subduction Zone 69,956
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr 15th Dalai Lama 30,111
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 5 hr orlando 434
News Atheism and cowardice (Nov '11) 9 hr Roy 12,673
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 10 hr yehoshooah adam 3,779
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 17 hr superwilly 579
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Tue Eagle 12 258,469
More from around the web