Carl Sagan's ancient aliens

Oct 17, 2013 Full story: Examiner.com 14

Carl Sagan was dichotomous and enigmatic or perhaps qualified to perform his duties as a scientist but unqualified when he stepped away from that in which he was trained.

Full Story

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#1 Oct 17, 2013
OK, I need a little help here. This character is apparently trying to make a point. Anyone have any idea of what it is? Atheists shouldn't consider the possibility of extraterrestrials? Anyone?
Thinking

UK

#2 Oct 17, 2013
Sagan wrote Contact as fiction, not scripture.

The intelligent design liars will try anything.

The Engineers in Prometheus or the aliens in Contact or 2001 are still not gods - they are just very technically advanced fictional aliens.
MikeF wrote:
OK, I need a little help here. This character is apparently trying to make a point. Anyone have any idea of what it is? Atheists shouldn't consider the possibility of extraterrestrials? Anyone?

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#3 Oct 17, 2013
MikeF wrote:
Extraterrrestrials makes perfect sense. But there is no reason to believe that ET's visited the Earth without evidence.

Much like the need for theists to show evidence for their god if they want others to share their beliefs. ET nuts must show evidence that aliens have visited the Earth if they want others to believe.

As our understanding of physics stands today the concept of interstellar travel looks extremely difficult, if not impossible for living creatures. We can't even "freeze" people since radioactive processes would still go on and the natural radioactivity in our bodies would kill us if frozen for any appreciable length of time.

Second even if it is possible it seems totally impossible to get to a cheap level meaning that aliens would not be picking up rubes and performing probes of certain bodily orifices.

“what we think we become”

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#4 Oct 17, 2013
His Arecibo message is perfect for babies. It should be branded on baby toys.:-)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#5 Oct 17, 2013
MikeF wrote:
OK, I need a little help here. This character is apparently trying to make a point. Anyone have any idea of what it is?
They're stupid?

“what we think we become”

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#6 Oct 17, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>They're stupid?
Are you having a seizure?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#7 Oct 17, 2013
Nay, the Dude is doing well, thanks for asking.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#8 Oct 18, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Extraterrrestrials makes perfect sense. But there is no reason to believe that ET's visited the Earth without evidence.
Much like the need for theists to show evidence for their god if they want others to share their beliefs. ET nuts must show evidence that aliens have visited the Earth if they want others to believe.
As our understanding of physics stands today the concept of interstellar travel looks extremely difficult, if not impossible for living creatures. We can't even "freeze" people since radioactive processes would still go on and the natural radioactivity in our bodies would kill us if frozen for any appreciable length of time.
Second even if it is possible it seems totally impossible to get to a cheap level meaning that aliens would not be picking up rubes and performing probes of certain bodily orifices.
The problem with Extraterrestrials is that they are scientifically possible and bacteria has been found on other planets.

UFOs visiting earth however - its another evidenceless "delusion of reference" exactly like the religious mental illness.
Thinking

UK

#9 Oct 18, 2013
Perhaps we will fire off nano replicators at near light speed, wait decades or centuries for them to get anywhere meaningful and begin their work. We could then email them with updated designs for new people and other forms - but only at light speed.

All very time consuming.
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#10 Oct 18, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem with Extraterrestrials is that they are scientifically possible
No they aren't! There's no evidence therefore they are impossible! You said so!
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#11 Oct 18, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you having a seizure?
Now Skippy on the other hand...

(Dude waits patiently for fireworks)

:-)

Location hidden

#12 Oct 18, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
No they aren't! There's no evidence therefore they are impossible! You said so!
Please allow me to smack you the f*ck down with some facts:

http://news.discovery.com/space/alien-life-ex...

http://news.discovery.com/space/history-of-sp...

I await your gutless bullsh*t response dude.

Location hidden

#13 Oct 18, 2013
Now watch the dude squirm and accuse me of some more ridiculous bullsh*t in an effort to hide the fact that his left cheek is all red from the above educational slap.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#14 Oct 18, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Please allow me to smack you the f*ck down with some facts:
http://news.discovery.com/space/history-of-sp...
I await your gutless bullsh*t response dude.
Now watch the dude squirm and accuse me of some more ridiculous bullsh*t in an effort to hide the fact that his left cheek is all red from the above educational slap.
Are you kidding? What am I talking, of course you are:
-Discovery- wrote:
Critics counter that the method has not yet been proven effective for differentiating between biological and non-biological processes on Earth so it's premature to draw any conclusions.
And then don't forget that even scientists debate that whether bacteria SHOULD be considered a true lifeform, as it only hits about 5 of the 7 postulated requirements. And THEN there's the fact that the definition of life is arbitrary anyway...

Ah, ya get the gist. Point is it ain't that simple. But let's say they 100% found bacteria. Full-on aliens (like Rodians or Klingons or Gorns or whatever) are impossible because you said so.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 14 min Aura Mytha 233,209
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 19 min Morse 178
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 21 min Morse 2,625
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 22 min Morse 23,279
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 29 min Morse 5,960
faith & pride 1 hr geezerjock 1
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 3 hr _Bad Company 214
More from around the web