Carolyn Hax: Teen's newfound atheism worries devout mom

Sep 9, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Daily News Journal

Therefore I was shocked when my oldest daughter, "Emily," suddenly announced she had "given up believing in God" and decided to "come out" as an atheist.

Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Sep 14, 2012

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

Judged:

"How can I help my daughter see that she is making a serious mistake with her life if she chooses to reject her God and her faith? Can I just chalk this up to teenage rebellion, something she’s bound to outgrow, or do you suppose this is a precursor to some deeper psychological problem?— God-Fearing Mom"

So, the teen gives up the imaginary friend, and the Mom thinks the daughter is heading toward "some deeper psychological problem."

As Bill Maher would say to the believer,"You have a neurological disorder".
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

It is not the child's religion, though religious beliefs are often inculcated in the child by the parent(s).

I think religious parents have two concerns when their children are atheist or choose another religion.

1. Their 'immortal soul'. Will they get to heaven? So that concern is entirely driven by superstition.

2. Morality. Religionists tend to (and are often taught to) equate religious faith with morality. They tend to assume that a lack of religion is indicative of,(or might lead to), a lack of morality. This isn't true. I have seen evidence that religious people are more moral than atheists and vice versa, but none that I feel I haven't debunked. Our morality and behaviour is determined by nature and nurture - religion has nothing to do with it.

Of course there is no psychologicl problem. There's only another problem caused by religion.

Relgion = superstition

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

Judged:

There should be a group for atheist teens who want to help their mentally ill and abusive parents out of their cults.

It'll happen one day, just watch.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

Diane Benscoter on how cults rewire the brain

At 17, Diane Benscoter joined The Unification Church -- the religious cult whose members are commonly known as “Moonies.” After five long years, her distressed family arranged to have her deprogrammed. Benscoter then left The Unification Church, and was so affected by her experience that she became a deprogrammer herself. She devoted her time to extracting others from cults, until she was arrested for kidnapping. The shock of her arrest caused her to abandon her efforts for almost 20 years.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/ex_moonie_di...

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

Judged:

Good for Emily! Even at her young age she has progressed beyond the theist dullards around her.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2012

Judged:

MrDesoto1 wrote:
"How can I help my daughter see that she is making a serious mistake with her life if she chooses to reject her God and her faith? Can I just chalk this up to teenage rebellion, something she’s bound to outgrow, or do you suppose this is a precursor to some deeper psychological problem?— God-Fearing Mom"
So, the teen gives up the imaginary friend, and the Mom thinks the daughter is heading toward "some deeper psychological problem."
This story hits me close to home. I didn't call my imaginary friend god and my mother had me diagnosed schizophrenic because of it. If you don't buy into their delusions, they'll make sure you get labeled as insane. It wasn't until I was an adult that the diagnosis was overturned.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2012

Judged:

Look at what they have done to people throughout history who didn't conform to the ridged church structure?

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
This story hits me close to home. I didn't call my imaginary friend god and my mother had me diagnosed schizophrenic because of it. If you don't buy into their delusions, they'll make sure you get labeled as insane. It wasn't until I was an adult that the diagnosis was overturned.

“talk to the kitteh”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2012

Judged:

That's "rigid".

XD

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, that's rough, and the worst is that it had to follow you into adulthood.

I was exorcised at 13, and they never chose to overturn their decision, that I was demon possessed, and yet they could never answer the question, as to why my particular demons chose to act out by making me quiet, respectful, studious, responsible and rather content with my life. Rather a come down for any self respecting denizen of hell, I would think. Maybe the demons were being punished.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2012

Judged:

Alas voice to text on the iPhone is a cruel mistress. Shall we start pointing out your ilk's minor spelling and other grammatical errors troll?

Trollus Stupidus when unable to refute arguments or points looks for irrelevant common errors as if posts on a message board are college essays.

By the way I think you meant to say something along the lines of...

The actual spelling of the word is "rigid".
nanoanomaly wrote:
That's "rigid".
XD

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2012

Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Wow, that's rough, and the worst is that it had to follow you into adulthood.
I was exorcised at 13, and they never chose to overturn their decision, that I was demon possessed, and yet they could never answer the question, as to why my particular demons chose to act out by making me quiet, respectful, studious, responsible and rather content with my life. Rather a come down for any self respecting denizen of hell, I would think. Maybe the demons were being punished.
It's one of the reasons I constantly remind the theists of how delusional they are. Maybe one day they will get the help they need and stop harming innocent children in ways like this.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2012

Judged:

I am so sorry for what you two had I endure. My whole church experience was more of an annoyance but nothing like what you two went through.
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Wow, that's rough, and the worst is that it had to follow you into adulthood.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2012

Judged:

MrDesoto1 wrote:
I loved Carolyn's answer.

I'm betting the mom didn't.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

11 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 6 min waaasssuuup 224,553
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 16 min fadu singh 21,406
Introducing The Universal Religion 19 min Thinking 736
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr Electrical Engineer 842
Our world came from nothing? 2 hr Thinking 252
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 2 hr Carchar king 23
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 2 hr Thinking 396
•••
•••