Posted in the Atheism Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#1 Jan 5, 2012

A member of my local atheist group posted this brilliant essay. unlike many here, I feel closer to music and poetry than I do to science. Science is all very interesting--very interesting indeed--but it doesn't hit me where I live, so to speak, so I really enjoyed this very poetic verbal essay from one of my opposite members. I hope that others do, too, and that it sparks a new discussion that has its own identity among the many here that read like clones of each other.

Enjoy.

Knoxville, TN

#2 Jan 5, 2012
More info from local atheist friends:

You can also watch the Cosmos series on Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/cosmos

-Dixie

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Larry Rhodes <[email protected]> wrote:

If you've not seen this video yet, please take 15 mins to watch it.
If you know people who think that Science is cold and sterile, send them this link!

Science Saved My Soul - video

And IF you haven't had a chance to see the Cosmos series (or just lost the link to it).. You can watch all 13 hours of it, free, on-line here:
http://www.sprword.com/videos/cosmos/

Also, if you haven't heard, "Cosmos" is getting a refresh and will air on Fox starting in 2013.

The Cosmos refresh officially titled Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey is being produced by self-professed nerd Seth MacFarlane, creator of Family Guy. And the 13-episode series will be written by Ann Druyan, Carl Sagan’s widow and a writer/producer on the original series along with astrophysicist Steven Soter.

“The King of R&R”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#3 Jan 5, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
More info from local atheist friends:
You can also watch the Cosmos series on Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/cosmos
-Dixie
On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Larry Rhodes <[email protected]> wrote:
If you've not seen this video yet, please take 15 mins to watch it.
If you know people who think that Science is cold and sterile, send them this link!
Science Saved My Soul - video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =r6w2M50_XdkXX
And IF you haven't had a chance to see the Cosmos series (or just lost the link to it).. You can watch all 13 hours of it, free, on-line here:
http://www.sprword.com/videos/cosmos/
Also, if you haven't heard, "Cosmos" is getting a refresh and will air on Fox starting in 2013.
The Cosmos refresh officially titled Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey is being produced by self-professed nerd Seth MacFarlane, creator of Family Guy. And the 13-episode series will be written by Ann Druyan, Carl Sagan’s widow and a writer/producer on the original series along with astrophysicist Steven Soter.
Hey You: Several weeks ago I happened, while surfing my TV, to see a NOVA show on evolution, on PBS. The video ran for like an hour and a half. It was mind boggling(BTW- you can watch it on the "net"). Basically,(I don't think I am telling you anything new) biologic science has proven, through DNA, that every single animal and fish on this planet are directly related to one another. I had always thought this was a fact, but to see it stated by credible scientists, just cemented it. Just amazing.

Knoxville, TN

#4 Jan 5, 2012
I'll have to check it out--most NOVA shows are available via netflix, which is a huge bargain for me at less than $10 a month. I can stream all of the original Cosmos series, for example, along with Stephen Hawking's show from the Discovery Channel and David Attenborough's nature stuff.

It turns out that Joni was right. We are stardust.

“The King of R&R”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#5 Jan 5, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
I'll have to check it out--most NOVA shows are available via netflix, which is a huge bargain for me at less than $10 a month. I can stream all of the original Cosmos series, for example, along with Stephen Hawking's show from the Discovery Channel and David Attenborough's nature stuff.
That's great. Take advantage of it!

Knoxville, TN

#6 Jan 6, 2012
I asked the founder/coordinator of the local group, who mailed me the link, "Who is the author? I feel as though I should recognize the voice, but I don't and there are no credits." Here's his answer:

That video was Uploaded by philhellenes on Nov 1, 2010 He's one of my favorite YouTube atheists, and I'll be mentioning him on the upcoming FFTV show on Atheist Resources.

Here a good quote from him that I got from that video:

"Religions tells children that they might go to Hell, and they MUST believe. Science tells children they came from the stars, and presents reasoning they CAN believe."

And this one came from the YouTube vid "To all religious teenagers:

"Religion calls what is rational, irrational.

Calls What is reasonable, stupidity.

Calls What is invisible and undetectable, absolutely obvious.

Calls What is contradictory, consistent.

Calls What is unjust, perfect Justice.

Defines "modern evidence", as "opinion".

Calls what gives people dignity, shameful.

Calls ignorance, knowledge.

Calls what is true, a lie.

The tactics are obvious, and surprisingly simple. Just turn reality on it's head. For only by doing that can organized religion seem defensible, and at all believable.

- Philhellenes

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#7 Jan 7, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =r6w2M50_XdkXX
A member of my local atheist group posted this brilliant essay. unlike many here, I feel closer to music and poetry than I do to science. Science is all very interesting--very interesting indeed--but it doesn't hit me where I live, so to speak, so I really enjoyed this very poetic verbal essay from one of my opposite members. I hope that others do, too, and that it sparks a new discussion that has its own identity among the many here that read like clones of each other.
Enjoy.
Thanks for that, Nightserf.

Your friend has put together an inspiring and almost (dare I say it) spiritual (without the religion) piece of work.

One to share on FB, methinks.

Nottingham, UK

#8 Jan 7, 2012
Nice of you to post the links to Cosmos.

Few documentary series have come near it.

Perhaps Bronowski's "The Ascent of Man"

Also used to enjoy watching James Burke - he did some good stuff.

Nottingham, UK

#9 Jan 7, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
I asked the founder/coordinator of the local group, who mailed me the link, "Who is the author? I feel as though I should recognize the voice, but I don't and there are no credits." Here's his answer:
That video was Uploaded by philhellenes on Nov 1, 2010 He's one of my favorite YouTube atheists, and I'll be mentioning him on the upcoming FFTV show on Atheist Resources.
"Religions tells children that they might go to Hell, and they MUST believe. Science tells children they came from the stars, and presents reasoning they CAN believe."
The tactics are obvious, and surprisingly simple. Just turn reality on it's head. For only by doing that can organized religion seem defensible, and at all believable.
- Philhellenes
I love these - especially the first one.

Thanks again!
tadpole

Tempe, AZ

#10 Jan 7, 2012
Redoran wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey You: Several weeks ago I happened, while surfing my TV, to see a NOVA show on evolution, on PBS. The video ran for like an hour and a half. It was mind boggling(BTW- you can watch it on the "net"). Basically,(I don't think I am telling you anything new) biologic science has proven, through DNA, that every single animal and fish on this planet are directly related to one another. I had always thought this was a fact, but to see it stated by credible scientists, just cemented it. Just amazing.
Thanks for lying. I've been considering atheism and this helps.
tadpole

Tempe, AZ

#11 Jan 7, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I love these - especially the first one.
Thanks again!
I bet your religion makes you recite these before you can be a full card-carrying member of your filthy deceiving organization.
tadpole

Tempe, AZ

#12 Jan 7, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for that, Nightserf.
Your friend has put together an inspiring and almost (dare I say it) spiritual (without the religion) piece of work.
One to share on FB, methinks.
Why did your soul (which you claim doesn't exist) need this? Your faith in your atheist lies not good enough from one hour to the next?

I bet within 3 hours, your fear of being wrong will demand more lies to keep you satisfied
tadpole

Tempe, AZ

#13 Jan 7, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
- Philhellenes
OK
But why does this make you , and everyone like you, mean , ugly, nasty, hateful, bigoted, zealoted, rude, mocking, scoffing, temper flaring, tantrum prone, and angry????
tadpole

Tempe, AZ

#14 Jan 7, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
P.S.: Those guys will be in Hell after they are dead. I don't think I would take them serious.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#15 Jan 7, 2012
tadpole wrote:
<quoted text>
P.S.: Those guys will be in Hell after they are dead. I don't think I would take them serious.
I'd rather hang out with them than with someone like you.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#16 Jan 7, 2012
tadpole wrote:
<quoted text>
You go out of your way to come into a new thread in the Atheism Forum and start out with 5 ad hominem posts in a row.

Thank you for so clearly announcing that you are not here for adult discussion and are only posting to show everybody how hateful a true Christian can be.

Nottingham, UK

#17 Jan 7, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
You go out of your way to come into a new thread in the Atheism Forum and start out with 5 ad hominem posts in a row.
Thank you for so clearly announcing that you are not here for adult discussion and are only posting to show everybody how hateful a true Christian can be.
That's ever the xtian way.

People defined by their never-ending hatred and obsession with blood and death.

Knoxville, TN

#18 Jan 7, 2012
Tadpole, you seem to be entering this discussion with a great deal of hostility. Like most negative emotional attitudes, hostility has a way of blinding its victims to any truth that comes from perceived enemies.

You began, for instance, by accusing Redoran of lying when he was only expressing an opinion that you don't agree with. By their very nature, opinions are neither true nor false, and expressions of opinion are almost invariably honest. They are ideas about various topics that we can't support with enough evidence to establish them as fact, and we all have at least a few of them.

Also, we all have some opinions that turn out to be wrong because we all have pockets if ignorance in our intellectual makeup. If we avoid excessive emotion attachment to our opinions, though, we can let go of them when that happens, and , in doing so, we become more knowledgeable. The key is to know the difference between fact and opinion--no easy task, but one well worth pursuing.

So when opinions clash on a forum like this, the most rational approach is to do a some thinking and research, asking, "What have I left to learn about this?" and "Is it possible to settle this definitively or will it always be subject to opinion only?" This is the path of intellectual honesty and rationality.

Remember this: only those who are wiling to reconsider even the most cherished of ideas and opinions are capable of learning end intellectual growth. Does that describe you? If not, do you want it to?

Think about it.

Nottingham, UK

#19 Jan 7, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
Tadpole, you seem to be entering this discussion with a great deal of hostility. Like most negative emotional attitudes, hostility has a way of blinding its victims to any truth that comes from perceived enemies.
You began, for instance, by accusing Redoran of lying when he was only expressing an opinion that you don't agree with. By their very nature, opinions are neither true nor false, and expressions of opinion are almost invariably honest. They are ideas about various topics that we can't support with enough evidence to establish them as fact, and we all have at least a few of them.
Also, we all have some opinions that turn out to be wrong because we all have pockets if ignorance in our intellectual makeup. If we avoid excessive emotion attachment to our opinions, though, we can let go of them when that happens, and , in doing so, we become more knowledgeable. The key is to know the difference between fact and opinion--no easy task, but one well worth pursuing.
So when opinions clash on a forum like this, the most rational approach is to do a some thinking and research, asking, "What have I left to learn about this?" and "Is it possible to settle this definitively or will it always be subject to opinion only?" This is the path of intellectual honesty and rationality.
Remember this: only those who are wiling to reconsider even the most cherished of ideas and opinions are capable of learning end intellectual growth. Does that describe you? If not, do you want it to?
Think about it.
I wish you well in your endeavours at using reason and honesty but I'm afraid these are character traits that have deserted the tadpole sock.

Knoxville, TN

#20 Jan 7, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish you well in your endeavours at using reason and honesty but I'm afraid these are character traits that have deserted the tadpole sock.
That's probably true, but my intended audience is the larger readership, including many among the regulars. Some of us are almost as rigid in our thinking as the believers are, and that saddens me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 7 min ChristineM 18,779
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Richard 27,269
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr Richard 8,074
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr Richard 3,076
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Joe Fortuna 253,321
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr Richardfs 5,971
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 5 hr ATHEOI 3,967
More from around the web