Can Atheists Have a Code of Sexual Morality?

Jul 25, 2010 | Posted by: Hedonist | Full story: www.psychologytoday.com

Grownup atheists don't need to fear some metaphysical being in order to prefer doing what's right-all clear-thinking adults prefer doing what's right. And grownup atheists don't need a one-size-fits-all menu of sexual acts. They know that doing only the sexual acts on God's Preferred List is no guarantee of moral decision-making or ethical behavior. And they have experienced the deep satisfaction of ethical decision-making while rockin' the house with taboo sexual acts that would make seraphim and cherubim blush.
Comments
1,921 - 1,939 of 1,939 Comments Last updated May 1, 2013
First Prev
of 97
Next Last

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2010

Judged:

Hello Doggy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, he's probably a buddhist priest looking for that chingaling.
Could well be, although a catholic priest frequenting Bangkok nonce bars is also likely.
Hello Doggy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2010

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text> Could well be, although a catholic priest frequenting Bangkok nonce bars is also likely.
You don't think a buddhist priest would look for chingalings?

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2010

Judged:

Hello Doggy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's not an unreasonable assumption but I'd still say that a catholic priest is the more likely of the two to be out picking up kids.
Hello Doggy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2010

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's not an unreasonable assumption but I'd still say that a catholic priest is the more likely of the two to be out picking up kids.
Projecting your catholic fantasies on a buddhist nation, aren't you?

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2010

Judged:

Hello Doggy wrote:
<quoted text>
Projecting your catholic fantasies on a buddhist nation, aren't you?
Why don't you ask your mother and see what she says or didn't those placebos work on her?
Hello Doggy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2010

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text> Why don't you ask your mother and see what she says or didn't those placebos work on her?
The Sheriff is looking for you. Something about Bangkok boys.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2010

Judged:

Hello Doggy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you bring Tony back and talk about DNA again? Here's your chance to refute those smart people who showed you up for the small-minded individual that you are.

Scared?

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2010

Hello Doggy wrote:
<quoted text>

Really?
Join Free
seymour

Christchurch, New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2010

karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
thanking their god for the beauty of creation
Touche!
jack13

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2010

Judged:

Hello Doggy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would they? they can marry and have children. Now anyone who becomes a christian preist might just do that.
Qadir Mengal

Islamabad, Pakistan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

who="DearGodThisIsAnna "]<quoted text>
Once again, you make no sense and have not clarified your point. What is evident is your hatred for Christians. There is no discussion here. It is either your way or no way.

Mengal,

=DearGodThisIsAnna"

Dear Anna, Please you do not think that christian are responsible to create a sect known Atheists and agnostics by a straying almost whole of their society,And this happened due to following reason, The whole bible is invention of paul and his colleagues just as Johan and others, I afraid to say that present bible introduce a stupid God and injustice God. while Father or Allah is most high and above to that which is present in corrupt copy of Injeal (so called Bible).,Where Gone the wisdom of Bibles God that I do commit sin and bibles God instead of me kill His innocent son. This is Justice of Bibles stupid God. I murder ,rape and instead of me Bibles God punish his own son,.Who says present Bible is from God ,Why you close your eyes, this bible was written by Paul, Johan and other so called disciples of Jesus(peace be upon him) Why you not hear their own scholars, the scholars of Christianity, where Seventy Scholars of different thought of school of Christianity unambiguously said that word Trinity is interpolation ,concoction and they all thrown out word trinity from Bibles new version that is called King version. So please look Where Injeal the real scripture gone. what were actual teachings of Jesus (peace be upon him.)

Whereas Question about the code of Morality for Atheist is concerned,please What code for Animals,Code is necessary only for humans,They avoid to do or not to do, just only presence of Fear like animals, However if you or any Atheist want to know the truth then please visit thread Qadir Mengal Miss understanding Islam you will find answer of your every question.
Amused

Amesbury, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

jack13 wrote:
<quoted text> Why would they? they can marry and have children. Now anyone who becomes a christian preist might just do that.
Actually, no. Buddhist monks take a vow of celibacy which is even stricter than that taken by catholic priests. Monks are forbidden to have any physical contact with women whatsoever, not even a handshake. In traditional Buddhist communities, if a woman wants to give something to a monk she must either hand it to a lay man to hand to the monk or place the object on a table and let the monk pick it up after she has released it. They can't hold the object simultaneously.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, no. Buddhist monks take a vow of celibacy which is even stricter than that taken by catholic priests. Monks are forbidden to have any physical contact with women whatsoever, not even a handshake. In traditional Buddhist communities, if a woman wants to give something to a monk she must either hand it to a lay man to hand to the monk or place the object on a table and let the monk pick it up after she has released it. They can't hold the object simultaneously.
I understand this is not universal, but is practiced among some versions of Buddhism, but not all.

Is that not so?
Amused

Southbridge, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand this is not universal, but is practiced among some versions of Buddhism, but not all.
Is that not so?
Not sure. My experience has been limited to Southeast Asians, and their form of Buddhism. I can say that from Myanmar to Vietnam, this is pretty uniform. In fact, over here, there is a huge uproar in the Cambodian community over a secretly filmed videotape of a monk having sex with a woman inside the temple itself. Massive community meetings demanding he be defrocked and booted from the temple, calls for an investigation, the whole 9 yards. There's more to it, of course, and it is partly just a Kabuki theater for playing out other political divides in the community, but it really hit a hot button.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure. My experience has been limited to Southeast Asians, and their form of Buddhism. I can say that from Myanmar to Vietnam, this is pretty uniform. In fact, over here, there is a huge uproar in the Cambodian community over a secretly filmed videotape of a monk having sex with a woman inside the temple itself. Massive community meetings demanding he be defrocked and booted from the temple, calls for an investigation, the whole 9 yards. There's more to it, of course, and it is partly just a Kabuki theater for playing out other political divides in the community, but it really hit a hot button.
That is both interesting, and kinda sad for me.

I had always had a bit of respect for the Buddhists that were not all fuzzy-wuzzy with spiritual woo (supernatural bs), but concentrated on trying to live >>this<< life as best as they understood it.

But to see the squabbling over what (to me) is kind of a silly point, makes be feel a bit let down.

Oh well-- just goes to show, that rationalism is still superior to everything else, and more to the point?

Rationalism allows a person to select the bits from religion that >>do<< make rational sense, and to keep those-- and to just toss out the idiotic bits that are irrational.

The best of both worlds, with logic and reason behind it too.

:D
Barry Bali

Denpasar, Indonesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Surely no one would claim that we get ethics and morality, including sexual morality, from religion ??

Only a dyed-in-the-wool godbotherer could come up with such a ridiculous proposition !

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Barry Bali wrote:
Surely no one would claim that we get ethics and morality, including sexual morality, from religion ??
Only a dyed-in-the-wool godbotherer could come up with such a ridiculous proposition !
Or someone seriously suffering from head-in-the-sand syndrome...
Amused

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
That is both interesting, and kinda sad for me.
I had always had a bit of respect for the Buddhists that were not all fuzzy-wuzzy with spiritual woo (supernatural bs), but concentrated on trying to live >>this<< life as best as they understood it.
But to see the squabbling over what (to me) is kind of a silly point, makes be feel a bit let down.
Oh well-- just goes to show, that rationalism is still superior to everything else, and more to the point?
Rationalism allows a person to select the bits from religion that >>do<< make rational sense, and to keep those-- and to just toss out the idiotic bits that are irrational.
The best of both worlds, with logic and reason behind it too.
:D
I find it really disappointing. On the one hand, I feel it's no big deal. As long as monks are drawn from the ranks of humanity, there will always be incidents like this. Let him stop being a monk and go on his way, or let him go through the required rituals for "purification" and get back to being a monk.

Unfortunately, there's a blend of home country politics, personal grudges and jockeying for status in the community that converges to make this something more than that. I've been doing my best to be neutral, because I have friends on both sides, but it is having a real negative effect on the community that's hard to see.(I've been involved with them for over 20 years and many people have told me that they consider me part of their community.)

I've never considered myself a Buddhist. I really get the part about attachments to the world being a cause of suffering, but never could accept the concept of reincarnation. Any more than I accept any other unproven or unprovable claim.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Sadly Jack13 isn't very likely to respond. It's been around two years since our friend the Texas atheist and septuagenarian, has posted here on topix? He did pose his thoughts in some interesting ways, and I do hope he is still having his say somewhere. But considering that he was battling cancer .......... Miss you Jack

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 97
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 13 min Eagle 12 225,571
Our world came from nothing? 43 min _Bad Company 355
If Christianity were true... 50 min henry 135
Hollywood Actor Reveals What He Thinks Is 'Weir... 1 hr Lawrence Wolf 101
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr ChristineM 883
One top most argument for atheism (Apr '12) 2 hr henry 3
Introducing The Universal Religion (Feb '14) 6 hr religionisillness 753
•••
•••