Can Atheists Have a Code of Sexual Mo...

Can Atheists Have a Code of Sexual Morality?

There are 1938 comments on the www.psychologytoday.com story from Jul 25, 2010, titled Can Atheists Have a Code of Sexual Morality?. In it, www.psychologytoday.com reports that:

Grownup atheists don't need to fear some metaphysical being in order to prefer doing what's right-all clear-thinking adults prefer doing what's right. And grownup atheists don't need a one-size-fits-all menu of sexual acts. They know that doing only the sexual acts on God's Preferred List is no guarantee of moral decision-making or ethical behavior. And they have experienced the deep satisfaction of ethical decision-making while rockin' the house with taboo sexual acts that would make seraphim and cherubim blush.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.psychologytoday.com.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#2148 Sep 5, 2010
nina wrote:
it's a dumb thread anyway
people often can't understand that there are any number of moral codes and no such thing as an objective or absolute morality by which to assess the codes
so everyone's behaviour falls within the particular code that they adhere to
whether the moral code and resulting behaviors are moral by other standards has no bearing on the morality of the behaviors within the code employed
you think that no one "breaks" their internal moral code?

you need spend some more time with christians

Location hidden

#2149 Sep 5, 2010
Tony wrote:
The atheist is the biggest moron in the universe. Why? Because he makes the dogmatic claim that he knows for an absolute, 100 percent fact, that there is no God or gods anywhere in this universe. As if the atheist has traveled across the universe.
The atheist is like the tiny ant that stands on top of the anthill in the Brazilian jungle and declares that there are no such things as humans, because he's never seen one since he was born a few days ago.
did someone take your god away

poor poooor sock puppet

“Hello homo sapiens sapiens.”

Since: Mar 07

A galaxy near you.

#2150 Sep 5, 2010
TISFUS wrote:
Looks like the road crew from "Deliverance."

Location hidden

#2151 Sep 5, 2010
TISFUS wrote:
<quoted text>
I was really just kidding Andie.
What I mean is, their pretend friend in the sky is so vicious and psychotic that I want to be anti-whatever-they-claim-him-t o-be, if only virtually.
;)
But the humans who conjure such a monstrosity are eminently hate-worthy, if one wished to expend the energy on such an emotion.
and now that is the point. Accommodation is not an appropriate response to a egotistical and hate filled philosophy

Location hidden

#2154 Sep 5, 2010
nothingUnreal wrote:
<quoted text>
I have NEVER had any problem with theists -- Christian or otherwise. If it works for you, good for you, and I have always been amazed at the ability of theists to be rational in everyday life and then toss their rationality out the door when it comes to religion.(I can't do that, I live and think in the same universe).
BUT..then people started blowing u doctors and office buildings and navel ships; they started conspiring to force text book manufacturers to include baldfaced lies and treat religious propaganda as if it were actual science and history, and they started listening in droves to Limbaugh and Hanity and voting for economic policy with that same ignorance and arrogance with which they form their quaint personal beliefs---and a few of them bragged to me how they see the middle east tensions playing out in Armageddon on CNN.
And suddenly it's not quaint any more. It's not cute anymore. It's a threat to us all.
it always has been

they (define and) burn the heretics

Location hidden

#2155 Sep 5, 2010
Big_Tex wrote:
what's religion got to do with morality? Go into the local titty bar and I suppose you will be find married, Christian men.
thanking their god for the beauty of creation

A galaxy near you.

#2156 Sep 5, 2010
TISFUS wrote:
<quoted text>
Ain't they precious?
But god loves 'em! ;-D
I hope their mothers do! Somebody needs too. Somebody needs to pony up the dough for dental work too;0)
seymour

Christchurch, New Zealand

#2157 Sep 6, 2010
TISFUS, my family, my house, and my neighbourhood all very nicely survived the recent earthquake. This had nothing to do with God and everything to do with the fact that, unlike much of this city, my house is sited on firm dry ground instead of on filled wetland. Nobody died, mainly because the earthquake occurred when the old masonry buildings most at risk were empty. Almost everybody in this town lives in wooden frame houses, and wood frame buildings don't collapse in earthquakes. When it hit, we were all in our beds, cocooned by our wooden houses.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#2158 Sep 6, 2010
Big_Tex wrote: what's religion got to do with morality? Go into the local titty bar and I suppose you will be find married, Christian men.
karl44 wrote:
thanking their god for the beauty of creation
"I have seen the face of God. And he looks like Willie Nelson"

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#2159 Sep 6, 2010
seymour wrote:
TISFUS, my family, my house, and my neighbourhood all very nicely survived the recent earthquake. This had nothing to do with God and everything to do with the fact that, unlike much of this city, my house is sited on firm dry ground instead of on filled wetland. Nobody died, mainly because the earthquake occurred when the old masonry buildings most at risk were empty. Almost everybody in this town lives in wooden frame houses, and wood frame buildings don't collapse in earthquakes. When it hit, we were all in our beds, cocooned by our wooden houses.
Good to hear. And interesting, too.
jack13

United States

#2160 Sep 6, 2010
nothingUnreal wrote:
<quoted text>
An anti-theist is an activist against theism in all its forms. Look up angietheantitheist on Youtube and you will understand.
For the record, I am not anti-anyone, but I am against certain behaviors---especially self delusion and the avoidance of reality. Reality is where we live and die. Reason is what we have to understand it with. Understanding, and therefore managing it is the only thing that separates us from the animals. If you are going to cling to ancient myths when reason and evidence contradict them, then you are living like an animal, wasting a huge amount of energy and resources simulating instinct.
Well, my friend, I've never met an atheist who was active against theists. I've always been an atheist, as my mother and father were also, but I, like you, spent a great deal of my life in the service (23 years), where I did run into a lot of anti-atheists, but as we are sworn in to uphold the Constitution of the United States, I felt honor bound to protect the rights of people to worship what ever they wished. It is, in my mind, a great waste of time and effort worshipping some god invented 6,000 years ago to explain lightening and thunder, but that is their right. I do find it odd that theists demand their right to worship mythical beings, trees, cows, etc., but try to get me to waste my time also. I guess misery loves company?

“Science is the waytof truth”

Since: Aug 10

Earth

#2164 Sep 6, 2010
jack13 wrote:
<quoted text> Well, my friend, I've never met an atheist who was active against theists....
I've only met a couple, and even then only online. And although they describe themselves as "anti-theists" they ACT like "Anti-theismists". It isn't like they are hunting theists down. What they ARE doing, is ridiculing theists at every turn. I understand that thinking. Tolerance of magical thinking is allowing our nation and our world to be poisoned by its fruits, and these ideas do deserve ridicule. But, for the most part, I find it more productive to treat people with respect, and even if their beliefs don't deserve it, to remember that they really do believe and often are deceiving themselves first and foremost (Read "Why Smart People Believe Weird Things").

From the studies I have read, agnostics (both atheist AND theist) may now be the dominant demographic, and these people COULD be helping to shift society to a more effective, reason based morality. But out of fear and avoidance, they contribute to propagating the faith and fear based approach that is clearly bankrupt -- and they do this for two reasons. They have been brainwashed into believing there is no other basis for morality, and that religion is necessary to prevent Chaos. And they don't want to face the uncomfortable reality that their faith is unconvincing even to them and cannot stand up to scrutiny, so they send their kids to Sunday school instead of teaching them WHY they should be moral. This is the group we need to reach, not the gnostic fanatics.
Bert

New Port Richey, FL

#2165 Sep 6, 2010
I know several Atheists. Almost all of them have strong moral values. More than many people who claim to be "Christians" or Muslims.
True Magnetic North

Bangkok, Thailand

#2166 Sep 6, 2010
Who gives a stuff for morality? As long as some ladyboy slams my rear alley I am happy.
Hello Doggy

United States

#2167 Sep 6, 2010
Bert wrote:
I know several Atheists. Almost all of them have strong moral values. More than many people who claim to be "Christians" or Muslims.
Does the prison warden know you're posting on Topix without permission?

A galaxy near you.

#2168 Sep 6, 2010
TISFUS wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the teeth is the least of their problems. But I agree, it does add a certain je ne sais quoi to their overall charm.
;-D
(There's whole photo galleries dedicated to this -- just type in "ugly inbred people" or something like that. It's funny that you can find anything on the internet these days. Also, check out "walmart people." I almost laughed myself sick one day.)
I've seen the 'walmart people' site, it is hilarious! Especially when a pic is from my home state.

As far as ugly inbred people, we had a set of brothers in my home town. One looked a lot like that banjo playing kid in Deliverance, the other brother was quite handsome except that his arms were about half their normal length. Dad and Grandad were one and the same *gag*.

They were born in the 40's when people didn't mess with how a man ran his own home.*gags again*
Hello Doggy

United States

#2169 Sep 6, 2010
DebJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I've seen the 'walmart people' site, it is hilarious! Especially when a pic is from my home state.
As far as ugly inbred people, we had a set of brothers in my home town. One looked a lot like that banjo playing kid in Deliverance, the other brother was quite handsome except that his arms were about half their normal length. Dad and Grandad were one and the same *gag*.
They were born in the 40's when people didn't mess with how a man ran his own home.*gags again*
Did you ever wonder if maybe the weird man in your home town was fooling around with yo mama?

That could explain some of the weird events in your life.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#2170 Sep 6, 2010
True Magnetic North wrote:
Who gives a stuff for morality? As long as some ladyboy slams my rear alley I am happy.
Are you a catholic priest?
Hello Doggy

United States

#2171 Sep 6, 2010
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text> Are you a catholic priest?
No, he's probably a buddhist priest looking for that chingaling.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#2172 Sep 6, 2010
Hello Doggy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, he's probably a buddhist priest looking for that chingaling.
Could well be, although a catholic priest frequenting Bangkok nonce bars is also likely.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Regolith Based Li... 80,087
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) 2 hr Eagle 12 - 173
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 14 hr Eagle 12 - 32,607
what science will NEVER be able to prove 21 hr Eagle 12 - 10
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) 21 hr Eagle 12 - 106
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 21 hr Eagle 12 - 69
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Sep 20 The pope 258,485
More from around the web