Can Atheists Have a Code of Sexual Morality?

Jul 25, 2010 Full story: www.psychologytoday.com 1,939
Grownup atheists don't need to fear some metaphysical being in order to prefer doing what's right-all clear-thinking adults prefer doing what's right. And grownup atheists don't need a one-size-fits-all menu of sexual acts. They know that doing only the sexual acts on God's Preferred List is no guarantee of moral decision-making or ethical behavior. And they have experienced the deep satisfaction of ethical decision-making while rockin' the house with taboo sexual acts that would make seraphim and cherubim blush. Full Story
First Prev
of 97
Next Last

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#2 Jul 26, 2010
Atheism is simply the rejection of the positive claim made by theists that there is a god, as unsupported by evidence. Atheism makes no positive claims to knowledge, and is not a belief system unto itself. Consequently, the question "can atheists have a code of sexual morality" is moot, and shows the person asking the question doesn't even understand what atheism is.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#3 Jul 26, 2010
To quote from the related article:

This question is at once hilarious, insulting, pathetic, and revealing. It only makes sense if you believe in two things:

1. Moral thought and behavior are essentially determined by the fear of punishment;

2. The definition of "morality" regarding sex is different than it is for other human endeavors.

Exactly.

“Rudeness is the weak man's”

Since: Nov 08

imitation of strength.

#4 Jul 26, 2010
Just because a person doesn't believe in a higher being that created us and will doom us to hell if we don't behave doesn't mean they don't have morals.

There are consequences to behavior here on earth that warrants having sexual boundaries.
scc

United States

#5 Jul 26, 2010
the DEAD SEA SCROOLS prove heven and hell is all bunk. The church is afreid to release the documents.
Super

United States

#6 Jul 26, 2010
Pamela in red wrote:
Just because a person doesn't believe in a higher being that created us and will doom us to hell if we don't behave doesn't mean they don't have morals.
There are consequences to behavior here on earth that warrants having sexual boundaries.
You're right, Pamela. Maybe you read about the gay men who were videotaping each other having sex with barnyard animals.

One of the gay men ended up in the emergency room after letting a horse penetrate his rectum. He was bleeding internally and he later died. The cops raided the gay man's farm, seized the videotapes of animal abuse, and arrested the gay men who had participated in the disgusting sex acts.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localne...

I would guess those gays were atheists who had no morals. Anyone want to take the other side of this bet?
nina

Ottawa, Canada

#7 Jul 26, 2010
morals are not determined by punishment possibilities

taking a action you know to be wrong may be done on a risk assessment basis

but people still know that the action is immoral

and immoral is different than criminal or not
Anonymous

Amsterdam, Netherlands

#8 Jul 26, 2010
All of the worlds troubles are caused by relious divide more than anything else imo.
Anonymous

Amsterdam, Netherlands

#9 Jul 26, 2010
That should have read "religious"
Join Free

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#10 Jul 26, 2010
Super wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right, Pamela. Maybe you read about the gay men who were videotaping each other having sex with barnyard animals.
One of the gay men ended up in the emergency room after letting a horse penetrate his rectum. He was bleeding internally and he later died. The cops raided the gay man's farm, seized the videotapes of animal abuse, and arrested the gay men who had participated in the disgusting sex acts.
I would guess those gays were atheists who had no morals. Anyone want to take the other side of this bet?
Stupid knows no boundaries.

However, unless you have some kind of evidence, you are simply displaying your bigotry.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#11 Jul 26, 2010
nina wrote:
morals are not determined by punishment possibilities
taking a action you know to be wrong may be done on a risk assessment basis
but people still know that the action is immoral
and immoral is different than criminal or not
Actually there is the possibility that they are, but in a negative way.

If you look at the data for religosity vs. crime rate for the various industrialized nations throughout the world, there is an apparent coorelation.

Could it be possible that christianity actually gives people a pass to Repent on Sunday for what they did on Saturday and will do again on Monday.

imitation of strength.

#12 Jul 26, 2010
Super wrote:
<quoted text>
Those people were neither gay nor atheist, just people who participated in bestial behavior.

Homosexuals have sex with same sex humans. Atheists do not believe in God.

imitation of strength.

#13 Jul 26, 2010
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually there is the possibility that they are, but in a negative way.
If you look at the data for religosity vs. crime rate for the various industrialized nations throughout the world, there is an apparent coorelation.
Could it be possible that christianity actually gives people a pass to Repent on Sunday for what they did on Saturday and will do again on Monday.
Some of the worst people I've known were Christians and some of the nicest people I've known were Atheists or Agnostics.

Being a Christian doesn't guarantee a person will be a good citizen or do no wrong.

“Surfer Dog”

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#14 Jul 26, 2010
wilderide wrote:
Atheism is simply the rejection of the positive claim made by theists that there is a god, as unsupported by evidence. Atheism makes no positive claims to knowledge, and is not a belief system unto itself. Consequently, the question "can atheists have a code of sexual morality" is moot, and shows the person asking the question doesn't even understand what atheism is.
Atheist can have greater ethics and morals than many Christians in regards to sex or anything. Many Christians or even God fearing people are hypocrites that don't practice what they preach.
realist

Waconia, MN

#15 Jul 26, 2010
being an atheist does not mean that one lacks morals. the fact of the matter is that some of the most religious, pious, holier than thou people in the world are seriously lacking in the ethics department. not believing in a supreme being doesn't mean that someone is automatically going to go out and have wild sex all the time. just because you may know of a few atheists that do, you can't stereotype us all like that. that's like saying that every gay man likes glitter and cher. it's just not true. religious beliefs do not make or break a persons character.
a man called horse

AOL

#16 Jul 26, 2010
even tribes that lived thousands of years ago before the bible existed had thier moral code of conduct

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17 Jul 27, 2010
Pamela in red wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of the worst people I've known were Christians and some of the nicest people I've known were Atheists or Agnostics.
Being a Christian doesn't guarantee a person will be a good citizen or do no wrong.
On the other hand, in spite of being christian, there are a number of very nice people on that side of the fence, too...

;)

Unfortunately, a person who is strictly going by faith, is far more apt to be bamboozled by a con artist, than a person who insists on logic, reason and fact-checking of sources.

Anyone want some KoolAid? Made it fresh this morning... anyone? No?

Probably just as well... I used corn fructose... ;p

“Liberal and proud of it.”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#18 Jul 27, 2010
wilderide wrote:
I agree with you that the premise of the question is wrong. Anyone can have ethics and a code of moral conduct -- sexual or otherwise -- regardless of religious faith or lack thereof.

The problem for most theists is that they cannot conceive of how a moral code is fashioned without the religious forms most of us learned as children. Atheists learn to find the morals and ethics in society without the capricious and arbitrary laws of the bible.

“Bring Back the Bush!”

Since: Jul 10

Ventura

#19 Jul 27, 2010
Kickbacks wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheist can have greater ethics and morals than many Christians in regards to sex or anything. Many Christians or even God fearing people are hypocrites that don't practice what they preach.
Agreed and well said.
I would actually be more inclined to respect an Atheist for his/her moral code than I would someone of a religious faith, based on the serious prospect of where that person's sense of morality is stemming from: a sense of genuine desire to do right vs. a fear of spiritual consequences.
For the record, I'm not stating that the moral code of all religious peoples applies here; merely making a general observation. I have known more hypocrites among self-proclaimed "Christians" than any other group, however.

“Bring Back the Bush!”

Since: Jul 10

Ventura

#20 Jul 27, 2010
wilderide wrote:
I DO have to question your own understanding of what Atheism is. From my perspective and understanding, Atheists actually do make positive claim to their belief that there is no supreme higher being.
Agnostics, however, do not. Agnosticism stems from the Greek meaning "ignorant." An agnostic proclaims that man is ignorant and unknowing of the actual existence of a higher being, and incapable of knowing for certain. Essentially, an Agnostics creed could be simply: "Maybe. Its possible. I don't know."
An Atheist would simply tell you "There is no God."
flyboy

Richmond, VA

#21 Jul 27, 2010
Super wrote:
<quoted text>
Pathetic much?

Bestiality doesn't=gay. They are men into bestiality. That has nothing to do with religion or homosexuality. Trying to connect these things is just your ignorance and bigotry being highlighted.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 97
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 50 min Richardfs 691
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 1 hr Jaimie 151
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr superwilly 228,546
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 2 hr Igor Trip 6
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) 6 hr Patrick 140
Is Religion Childish? 10 hr Patrick 3
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 11 hr _Bad Company 22,919

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE