Applebee's waitress fired for exposing Christian reality

Feb 2, 2013 Full story: Examiner.com 44

Atheism news: Should Applebee's be boycotted for firing a waitress who did a public service by exposing the Christian condition? With this being a country of religious privilege it's unlikely the establishment will apologize for the jerk move, but they have certainly angered a number of people with this latest update to a story that went viral for ... (more)

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Amused

Spencer, MA

#42 Feb 5, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
Leave it to a narcissistic atheist to forget they are only a lowly food service worker.
What a wonderful christian thing to say! I'll bet your jesus is just beaming at how well you absorbed his message about helping the poor.

In my book, people who work hard at honest work are far from "lowly". They are the backbone of our society.

You should also keep in mind that some of those "lowly" folks are on their way up. Many wait staff are students putting themselves through school. Same with many other "lowly" jobs. When I was in school, I worked as a porter at a hospital. The nurses, most of whom had associates degrees, used to talk to us like we were morons. The night crew produced two lawyers, a nuclear engineer, one fellow with two masters degrees in electrical and mechanical engineering and a computer tech.
Amused

Spencer, MA

#43 Feb 5, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how do folks here tip? When I was a kid, I didn't know about tipping, but since then, I've always tipped unless I was dead broke. I used to tip 15%, but now that I'm more comfortable, I round my tips up to between 20% and 25% and never less than $5.00 for an evening out. Most servers work for less than minimum wage, and only tips bring that up to a living wage. Stiffing a server is only a small cruelty, but is still one nonetheless.
I usually tip around 20%. If service was poor, maybe 15%. I know the servers are depending on tips to make a decent living, and I look on the tip as just part of the cost of the meal. Sure, it would be better if the restaurant paid the wait staff a decent wage and tipping were optional, but that's not how it is. If you can't afford to leave a decent tip, you can't afford to eat at that restaurant.

Just remember, if the restaurant paid servers a decent wage, they would certainly pass that additional cost on to you, and menu prices would just go up. That's kind of what Applebees was doing with the added 18%. By adding the extra charge, they make their menu prices appear lower, but really charge what the cost of the food plus the service is.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#44 Feb 5, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how do folks here tip? When I was a kid, I didn't know about tipping, but since then, I've always tipped unless I was dead broke. I used to tip 15%, but now that I'm more comfortable, I round my tips up to between 20% and 25% and never less than $5.00 for an evening out. Most servers work for less than minimum wage, and only tips bring that up to a living wage. Stiffing a server is only a small cruelty, but is still one nonetheless.
I generally tip about 20%, more for particularly good service, but I will also go lower for particularly bad service. My wife and I also bring presents in for the staff at places we frequent and get to know the people who are serving us. It's amazing what that will do to quality of service!

The point is that these are people who are working hard, often attempting to please ungrateful slobs, and they should be paid for what they do. It is a character flaw to look down on the people who are bringing you your food.
Amused

Spencer, MA

#47 Feb 5, 2013
Normal Flora wrote:
<quoted text>WHY didn't this group of godaholic cheapasses want to pay the very common and very reasonable group tax rate of 18%? The "Groups of 8 or More" policy is written on every menu in every restaurant I've ever dined in. So this turd crossed out the tip and gave this poor waitress... nothing. Then she signed her name PASTOR Aloise Bell (as if that gives her a free pass to be an asshole) and wrote some snarky comment. This bitch deserves to be humiliated!!!
Interestingly, she mentioned how much she gave, but not how much she got. I doubt she does her pastor work for free. I'd guess that in her case, the church pays out a lot more than it takes in. I also have no doubt that she put the meal for the group on her credit card so that she could deduct it as a business expense in order to render unto Caesar a bit less than that which is due to Caesar.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Aura Mytha 232,939
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 4 hr woodtick57 2,407
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr _Bad Company 23,208
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 4 hr _Bad Company 163
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 21 hr Thinking 3
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... Sun Mikko 2
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... Sun Thinking 3
More from around the web