Applebee's waitress fired for exposing Christian reality

Feb 2, 2013 Full story: Examiner.com 44

Atheism news: Should Applebee's be boycotted for firing a waitress who did a public service by exposing the Christian condition? With this being a country of religious privilege it's unlikely the establishment will apologize for the jerk move, but they have certainly angered a number of people with this latest update to a story that went viral for ... (more)

Full Story

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#22 Feb 4, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>And just who the hell are you to look down on a server or anyone, for that matter? Talk about narcissism. What hypocrisy! You just lost what little respect I had for you.
Also some of you can be pretty damn narcissistic. Back to my supposed hypocrisy!
Thinking

Saffron Walden, UK

#23 Feb 4, 2013
I tip 15% in the US, 10%-12.5% in the ROW. Would never tip below $5/5 for a meal, either.

I don't tip taxis in Scandinavia as it's frowned on.

You don't tip in UK pubs, but you can offer drinks which may be taken later by the server.
NightSerf wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how do folks here tip? When I was a kid, I didn't know about tipping, but since then, I've always tipped unless I was dead broke. I used to tip 15%, but now that I'm more comfortable, I round my tips up to between 20% and 25% and never less than $5.00 for an evening out. Most servers work for less than minimum wage, and only tips bring that up to a living wage. Stiffing a server is only a small cruelty, but is still one nonetheless.
Thinking

Saffron Walden, UK

#24 Feb 4, 2013
The employer can't pay servers less than minimum wage in the UK.
Some unscrupulous employers held onto the tips as a result.
Such practices are now illegal.
NightSerf wrote:
Perhaps it's different in the UK, but in the US, servers are not paid a living wage--not even minimum wage. I agree that it would be better if they were paid enough that tipping was an option for recognizing great service, but it's not. Without tips, they don't earn enough to survive. But since this is an international forum, I'd love to learn what waitstaff earn in different countries and how tipping customs differ.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#25 Feb 4, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
Leave it to a narcissistic atheist to forget they are only a lowly food service worker.
Doesn't Jesus say something about how you treat "the least among you" or something like that?

The way people treat those who work in the service and hospitality industries says a lot about their character.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#26 Feb 4, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Also some of you can be pretty damn narcissistic. Back to my supposed hypocrisy!
I may have misjudged you--it's hard to tell parody from genuine feelings in a written forum....
Thinking

Saffron Walden, UK

#27 Feb 4, 2013
justsayin entered this forum by calling Atheists hypocrites because they have a belief system. She did this by quote mining only a few words from the definition of "Atheist". As a result, she got the hypocrisy allegation sent right back to her doorstep.

Maybe that's what she's referring to.
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
I may have misjudged you--it's hard to tell parody from genuine feelings in a written forum....

Location hidden

#28 Feb 4, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>Doesn't Jesus say something about how you treat "the least among you" or something like that?

The way people treat those who work in the service and hospitality industries says a lot about their character.
You don't say?

Location hidden

#29 Feb 4, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>I may have misjudged you--it's hard to tell parody from genuine feelings in a written forum....
Lol IKR! It's hard for me to understand argument for argument's sake so I don't take anything on here seriously. Why should I? There's never any real point to the arguing. Meeting me in person would be a much different experience. I'm just your average sweet, simple southerner. Nothing fake or complicated about me. Of course that's a bit hard to discern when I'm too busy being a smartass. ;)

Location hidden

#30 Feb 4, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>justsayin entered this forum by calling Atheists hypocrites because they have a belief system. She did this by quote mining only a few words from the definition of "Atheist". As a result, she got the hypocrisy allegation sent right back to her doorstep.

Maybe that's what she's referring to.
Sticks and stones, doll. Sticks and stones.
Thinking

Saffron Walden, UK

#31 Feb 4, 2013
Your choices were:

1. Simple hypocrite
2. More complex Poe

You've elected to take the first- but are you being sincere?
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol IKR! It's hard for me to understand argument for argument's sake so I don't take anything on here seriously. Why should I? There's never any real point to the arguing. Meeting me in person would be a much different experience. I'm just your average sweet, simple southerner. Nothing fake or complicated about me. Of course that's a bit hard to discern when I'm too busy being a smartass. ;)

Location hidden

#32 Feb 4, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Your choices were:

1. Simple hypocrite
2. More complex Poe

You've elected to take the first- but are you being sincere?
Lol Very well played, friend. Can't help myself. Not now that I know how fun it is. Is it too late to select more complex Poe? I heart Poe.
Thinking

Saffron Walden, UK

#33 Feb 4, 2013
If you select 2, or 1 then 2, you're dishonest.

But I already knew you were a hypocrite when you opened proceedings with a quote mine.
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol Very well played, friend. Can't help myself. Not now that I know how fun it is. Is it too late to select more complex Poe? I heart Poe.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#34 Feb 4, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>You don't say?
I just did.

Location hidden

#35 Feb 4, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>If you select 2, or 1 then 2, you're dishonest.

But I already knew you were a hypocrite when you opened proceedings with a quote mine.
Whatever you say, genius!

Location hidden

#36 Feb 4, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>I just did.
You just did what?

Knoxville, TN

#37 Feb 4, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Smartassing is fun, and we all do it, but I think that most of us (atheists) are here (the atheist forum) mostly to communicate with like-minded writers. It's frustrating when, instead, we wind up fending off insults from attackers from the various other points of view, and it doesn't help that many of the topics that pique our interest are shared with forums that attract that ilk. Most of us really don't worry about what the Christian fundamentalists who post the bulk of those jibes and jabs think about us, but it's hard not to respond to the barrage of insulting posts. It's natural to be suspicious of anyone who claims to be a nonbeliever yet posts exactly the same tripe that the fundamentalists do, so yeah, most here will question your honesty. Me, too.

Knoxville, TN

#38 Feb 4, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
This doesn't refer to Edgar Allen Poe, but to 'Poe's law, named after its author Nathan Poe,''an Internet adage reflecting the idea that without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism.[1]' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe 's_law

Location hidden

#39 Feb 4, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>Smartassing is fun, and we all do it, but I think that most of us (atheists) are here (the atheist forum) mostly to communicate with like-minded writers. It's frustrating when, instead, we wind up fending off insults from attackers from the various other points of view, and it doesn't help that many of the topics that pique our interest are shared with forums that attract that ilk. Most of us really don't worry about what the Christian fundamentalists who post the bulk of those jibes and jabs think about us, but it's hard not to respond to the barrage of insulting posts. It's natural to be suspicious of anyone who claims to be a nonbeliever yet posts exactly the same tripe that the fundamentalists do, so yeah, most here will question your honesty. Me, too.
Question away. I could care less.

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#40 Feb 4, 2013
Oh well.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#41 Feb 5, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Question away. I could care less.
you're a full of sh*t.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man center of the universe. 30 min Uncle Sam 160
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr Mikko 23,046
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr _Bad Company 1,110
Heaven 9 hr Reason Personified 44
Evidence for God! 11 hr Uncle Sam 51
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 11 hr Dave Nelson 231,016
Former Atheist Academic Who Rejected God and Be... Thu Hooogle It 77

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE