Applebee's waitress fired for exposing Christian reality

Feb 2, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Examiner.com

Atheism news: Should Applebee's be boycotted for firing a waitress who did a public service by exposing the Christian condition? With this being a country of religious privilege it's unlikely the establishment will apologize for the jerk move, but they have certainly angered a number of people with this latest update to a story that went viral for ... (more)

Comments
1 - 20 of 44 Comments Last updated Feb 5, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“you must not give faith”

Since: Jul 12

Nottingham, UK

#1 Feb 2, 2013
Applebee's made a bad move it is never a good idea to give more attention to those who expose things like this, this is the legal equivalent of a declaration of war. The waitress is now in her right to sue.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#2 Feb 2, 2013
That is one really badly written article. Dripping with bias and supporting of delusional behavior.
True Christian witness

Tulsa, OK

#3 Feb 2, 2013
Typical conduct of a fake Christian who does not serve the true God of the Bible, Jehovah God.

Being a cheap customer in a restaurant, and then giving the excuse of tithing is the sure evidence of a false religious minister.

Would be no different than the person who gripes about tipping in hotels and other service places.

(Matthew 22:21, 22). . .They said:“Caesar’s.” Then he said to them:“Pay back, therefore, Caesar’s things to Caesar, but God’s things to God.”

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#4 Feb 2, 2013
Read the article for the full story. The pastor and her 19 guests had not intended to tip the 18% group rate, and to that end made the waitress write separate checks. But when the pastor paid the whole bill with on credit card, Applebee's software probably kicked in and added the tip automatically, and the pastor over-reacted out of surprise. When the angry waitress posted a copy of the credit card to her facebook page, all identifying information had been blacked out, but the pastor came forward to spitefully demand that the waitress be fired.

It was Applebee's error in applying the 18% that angered the pastor in the first place, so they might have warned the employee rather than firing her if the pastor had not been so insistent. And perhaps the manager who made the decision was one of her parishioners.

Bad form all around.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#5 Feb 2, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
Read the article for the full story. The pastor and her 19 guests had not intended to tip the 18% group rate, and to that end made the waitress write separate checks. But when the pastor paid the whole bill with on credit card, Applebee's software probably kicked in and added the tip automatically, and the pastor over-reacted out of surprise. When the angry waitress posted a copy of the credit card to her facebook page, all identifying information had been blacked out, but the pastor came forward to spitefully demand that the waitress be fired.
It was Applebee's error in applying the 18% that angered the pastor in the first place, so they might have warned the employee rather than firing her if the pastor had not been so insistent. And perhaps the manager who made the decision was one of her parishioners.
Bad form all around.
That was my thought on the matter as well. You are far more eloquent in expressing it.

Knoxville, TN

#6 Feb 2, 2013
Just out of curiosity, how do folks here tip? When I was a kid, I didn't know about tipping, but since then, I've always tipped unless I was dead broke. I used to tip 15%, but now that I'm more comfortable, I round my tips up to between 20% and 25% and never less than $5.00 for an evening out. Most servers work for less than minimum wage, and only tips bring that up to a living wage. Stiffing a server is only a small cruelty, but is still one nonetheless.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#7 Feb 2, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how do folks here tip? When I was a kid, I didn't know about tipping, but since then, I've always tipped unless I was dead broke. I used to tip 15%, but now that I'm more comfortable, I round my tips up to between 20% and 25% and never less than $5.00 for an evening out. Most servers work for less than minimum wage, and only tips bring that up to a living wage. Stiffing a server is only a small cruelty, but is still one nonetheless.
I tend not to eat at places where tipping is customary, but I do tip when possible, usually a buck or two, depending on how busy it is and how good the service is. Most of my total purchases in such places are never more than $10. I do say though, I must tip well since they are always glad to see me.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#8 Feb 2, 2013
I'm always uncomfortable about tipping. I think it should be a genuine extra for exceptional service or going the extra mile. Jobs like waiting and portering should be like any other in that the competent should be paid a living wage and the incompetent should be moved to more suitable work or sacked.

The convention in the UK (I think) is to tip 10%,(more for or exceptional service or circumstances). If society tips more than that, employers simply offer lower wages accordingly.

I think I understand the arguments and I have to accept the consensus and convention, but my preference would be to end the practice.

Knoxville, TN

#10 Feb 2, 2013
Perhaps it's different in the UK, but in the US, servers are not paid a living wage--not even minimum wage. I agree that it would be better if they were paid enough that tipping was an option for recognizing great service, but it's not. Without tips, they don't earn enough to survive. But since this is an international forum, I'd love to learn what waitstaff earn in different countries and how tipping customs differ.
nOgOd

Rockford, IL

#11 Feb 3, 2013
So typical of society to roll over every time a religionist's feelings are hurt. They all think that they are special so they all act special. Journalist Susan Jacoby writes on respecting one's beliefs, "People confuse the right to believe what they want with the idea that these same beliefs have merit". There is nothing in the Constitution that requires me to respect another's crazy nonsense. Nor is there any moral requirement for me to do so. If you don't want people laughing and making fun of your beliefs, you shouldn't have such nutty beliefs.
Siro

Sydney, Australia

#12 Feb 3, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I tend not to eat at places where tipping is customary, but I do tip when possible, usually a buck or two, depending on how busy it is and how good the service is. Most of my total purchases in such places are never more than $10. I do say though, I must tip well since they are always glad to see me.
So youre trawling soup kitchens to give BJs?
You cheap poof

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#13 Feb 3, 2013
When tipping, I use 15% as the guidepost and tip more for better service. I only tip less if it's really, really bad service, but I hardly ever go under 10% unless the service is truly atrocious.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#14 Feb 3, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
Perhaps it's different in the UK, but in the US, servers are not paid a living wage--not even minimum wage. I agree that it would be better if they were paid enough that tipping was an option for recognizing great service, but it's not. Without tips, they don't earn enough to survive. But since this is an international forum, I'd love to learn what waitstaff earn in different countries and how tipping customs differ.
This is very true about the wages. The "tip wages" are unfair to them, and do nothing to promote good employee performance. It's amazing that so few in the US actually know how much less they get.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#15 Feb 3, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
I give my barber a 25% tip, because I like the way she runs her fingers through her hair. Oh, and she does a great job at cutting hair too.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#16 Feb 3, 2013
MrDesoto1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I give my barber a 25% tip, because I like the way she runs her fingers through her hair. Oh, and she does a great job at cutting hair too.
That should have read:

I give my barber a 25% tip, because I like the way she runs her fingers through MY hair. Oh, and she does a great job at cutting hair too.
redneck

Cave Junction, OR

#17 Feb 3, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
So youre trawling soup kitchens to give BJs?
You cheap poof
Down under porcine strikes again.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#18 Feb 3, 2013
Leave it to a narcissistic atheist to forget they are only a lowly food service worker.

Knoxville, TN

#19 Feb 4, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
Leave it to a narcissistic atheist to forget they are only a lowly food service worker.
And just who the hell are you to look down on a server or anyone, for that matter? Talk about narcissism. What hypocrisy! You just lost what little respect I had for you.

Location hidden

#20 Feb 4, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>And just who the hell are you to look down on a server or anyone, for that matter? Talk about narcissism. What hypocrisy! You just lost what little respect I had for you.
You actually had respect for me? Darn!

Location hidden

#21 Feb 4, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>And just who the hell are you to look down on a server or anyone, for that matter? Talk about narcissism. What hypocrisy! You just lost what little respect I had for you.
All joking aside, my husband and I were just talking about this yesterday. Preacher or not. The guy was a dick. What do waitresses get paid like $2/hr or something? Give the girl a tip already.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 15 min Patrick 226,536
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr Patrick 21,519
The myth of the angry atheist 6 hr _Bad Company 3
Our world came from nothing? 10 hr Patrick 436
It seems there are more Atheists in the Christi... (Jun '13) 10 hr Patrick 13
The Ultimate Evidence of God 13 hr Thinking 67
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom Sat religionislies 58
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••