Will atheists win the fight?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#309 May 1, 2013
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
The evidence is in the world around us and the improbability of it all being an "accident". If I find a watch on mars I would not call it an accident of nature and the same if life is found there.
WHAT ... "evidence"?

You have been asked-- and you ALWAYS RUN AWAY OR IGNORE!!!

WHAT EVIDENCE?

(prediction: he will either IGNORE THIS or RUN AWAY -- any takers?)

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#310 May 1, 2013
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and the Church must vet candidates to the priesthood and keep those with deviant sexual behavior, such as homosexuality, out.
That is a lovely pipe-dream.

Ain't it a damn SHAME that NOBODY IS FOLLOWING THIS RULE?

Yep..... it's a damn shame, that's what it is....

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#311 May 1, 2013
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
The universe cries out there is a God. The Bolzman Brain Paradox shows how improbable this world is without an almighty intelligent designer.
Evidence? No?

*sigh*
Imhotep

Gainesville, FL

#312 May 1, 2013
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoever made up the dating for Jesus' birth was pretty good cosidering the time in which he made it and the historical information available at the time.
Now that's a start right direction Paul

'Made up' Is a perfect description of the Bible
OT and NT and Quran.

"Despite the mass of contemporary records that have been unearthed in Egypt, not one historical reference to the presence of the Israelites has yet been found there. Not a single mention of Joseph, the Pharaoh's 'Grand Vizier'. Not a word about Moses, or the spectacular flight from Egypt and the destruction of the pursuing Egyptian army."
Magnus Magnusson (The Archaeology of the Bible Lands - BC, p43)


For many centuries the Egyptians were present in Palestine, controlling the trade routes and importing the timber, olive oil and minerals not found in Egypt.

Archaeology has uncovered dramatic evidence of this pervasive Egyptian presence in 'Canaan'– yet nowhere does the Bible refer to Egyptians outside of Egypt.

It would spoil the story!!

How could Hebrews escape into the promised land if the Bible admitted Egyptians were running the show there too?

'Neither Moses, nor an enslaved Israel nor the event of this Exodus are recorded in any known ancient records outside the Bible ...

Although its climate has preserved the tiniest traces of ancient bedouin encampments and the sparse 5000-year-old villages of mine workers there is not a single trace of Moses or the Israelites.'
– John Romer, Testament

In fact, the quest for Biblical accounts of ancient Egypt at least into the 19th Dynasty of Egypt's New Kingdom, take on an interesting approach by most investigators. Essentially, since there is no evidence to clearly support the existence of Joseph, or Moses, or the Israeli Exodus, most of the investigation examines what was possible, what cannot be ruled out, or what fits into and Egyptian context. In other words, is it possible that such events or people could have existed from what we know of ancient Egypt.

Some specifics are very possible, such as Joseph's rise to importance in the Egyptian court.

Other events, such as the Exodus, as specifically told in the Bible, are much more difficult.

Though the Egyptians may not have liked to record defeats, it would seem very probable that, were the disasters inflicted upon them as detailed in the Bible, there would have survived some textual evidence.

For example, the Egyptians recorded events such as eclipses of the sun and the levels of the Nile Flood. Were the Nile to have turned to blood and every firstborn child suddenly have died, not to mention all of the other plagues mentioned in Exodus, there would have doubtless been some record left, particularly during the New Kingdom. Tomb records frequently provide us with the most meager of details, and we have, from that period, many thousands of documents recording civil actions and even commercial contracts.

Look it up can find this information in most any library or on the Internet.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#313 May 1, 2013
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the color of the sky in your world?
That depends on what day it is, doesn't it?

Today? The sky is quite grey-- and pretty soon, it will begin to fade into pure black, interrupted by specks of not-black, with a particularly large not-black spot, which appears to move.

In fact, they all seem to move .... but I expect that to change, by morning, the sky will start out reddish from the East, gradually changing color again, to the expected greyish hue. That might change, though-- some fractured pieces of blue are expected later in the day, interspersed by larger pieces of white, off-white and possibly greenish or pinkish.

The sky is a pretty cool thing-- it changes color, pretty much ALL THE TIME.

I bet YOUR sky, though-- is 100% blue, all-blue, all-the-time.

Sad.

No WONDER you are a cranky-puss.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#314 May 1, 2013
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think the Holy Bible says the universe was created in six days, than you don't understand what the Holy Bible is saying.
LMAO!

Really? Did you use your Secret Genuine Bible-Meaning Decoder Ring™ as issued from the Genuine Catholic Church™ when you were confirmed?

LMAO!

Hint: if your bible has to have a DECODER RING to "understand" what it says?

IT IS NOT DIVINE, NOR IS IT FROM DIVINE ORIGINS.

A >>GOD<< would do BETTER.

Not deliberately make it... obscure....!

LMAO!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#315 May 1, 2013
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoever made up the dating for Jesus' birth was pretty good cosidering the time in which he made it and the historical information available at the time.
But?

CLEARLY DID NOT SPEAK TO, OR GET INFORMATION FROM-- A GOD.

Did he?

Nope-- a GOD would have NAILED the exact date...!

<laughing out loud here at your FAIL...>

Oh this is sooooo FUNNY!

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#316 May 1, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
Will atheists win the fight?
Atheist are fighting? Against who?
Not really. The title of the thread came from its originator, Paul WV, who began by posting a link to an article on global discrimination against nonbelievers.

http://iheu.org/story/new-global-report-discr...

Paul is one of atheism's adversaries, and as such, anything he posts her is best taken with a healthy dose of skepticism I don't think many of the regular atheist contributors think of ourselves as being in a fight--more of an ongoing disagreement that sometimes gets very personal. I don't think winning or losing enters into it very often.

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#317 May 1, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really. The title of the thread came from its originator, Paul WV, who began by posting a link to an article on global discrimination against nonbelievers.
http://iheu.org/story/new-global-report-discr...
Paul is one of atheism's adversaries, and as such, anything he posts her is best taken with a healthy dose of skepticism I don't think many of the regular atheist contributors think of ourselves as being in a fight--more of an ongoing disagreement that sometimes gets very personal. I don't think winning or losing enters into it very often.
Thank you for your reply ...:)
Have a nice night!!!
Thinking

Dundee, UK

#318 May 2, 2013
Maybe "shattered" is more apposite. 41k+ fragments is a lot of shards.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes-- it means something alright.
The biggest something is this: there are no gods behind any.
What god would permit such fractionating of his message like that?
(is that a word? Fractionating? Meaning to fracture into ... 41,000 pieces... LOL )
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#319 May 2, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that's a start right direction Paul
'Made up' Is a perfect description of the Bible
OT and NT and Quran.
"Despite the mass of contemporary records that have been unearthed in Egypt, not one historical reference to the presence of the Israelites has yet been found there. Not a single mention of Joseph, the Pharaoh's 'Grand Vizier'. Not a word about Moses, or the spectacular flight from Egypt and the destruction of the pursuing Egyptian army."
etc.
Informative post. Archaeology has disproved the Bible, esp. Genesis and Exodus which are completely fictitious.
Imhotep

Gainesville, FL

#320 May 2, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Informative post. Archaeology has disproved the Bible, esp. Genesis and Exodus which are completely fictitious.
Thank you ;)

The Christian view that all intercourse outside marriage is immoral was based upon the view that all sexual intercourse, even within marriage, is regrettable.

A view of this sort, which goes against biological facts, can only be regarded by some people as a morbid aberration. The fact that it is embedded in Christian ethics has made Christianity throughout its whole history a force tending towards mental disorders and unwholesome views of life.

The Church had devastating impact upon society. As the Church assumed leadership, activity in the fields of medicine, technology, science, education, history, art and commerce all but collapsed.

Technology disappeared and the Church became the most cohesive power in Western society. The extensive aqueduct and plumbing systems vanished.

Orthodox Christians taught that all aspects of the flesh should be reviled and therefore discouraged washing as much as possible.

Toilets and indoor plumbing disappeared. Disease became commonplace as sanitation and hygiene deteriorated. For hundreds of years, towns and villages were decimated by epidemics.

Europe entered the Dark Ages.:(

“Organised religion is violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism, tribalism, and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children.”
~Christopher Hitchens
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#321 May 2, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
The extensive aqueduct and plumbing systems vanished.
Orthodox Christians taught that all aspects of the flesh should be reviled and therefore discouraged washing as much as possible.
Toilets and indoor plumbing disappeared.
This reminds me of a story a colleague working in a rural area of eastern europe, and was directed to an outside toilet. It was a hut covering a hole in the ground and looked inside to see a pyramid of poo. Once it reaches the end of its life you'd fill it in, dig a new hole and move the hut :D
Imhotep

Gainesville, FL

#322 May 2, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
This reminds me of a story a colleague working in a rural area of eastern europe, and was directed to an outside toilet. It was a hut covering a hole in the ground and looked inside to see a pyramid of poo. Once it reaches the end of its life you'd fill it in, dig a new hole and move the hut :D
You are either a night owl or in Europe, correct?
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#323 May 2, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
You are either a night owl or in Europe, correct?
I am in Stoke-on-Trent, UK.
Imhotep

Gainesville, FL

#324 May 2, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
I am in Stoke-on-Trent, UK.
Spotted Dick - in USA funny, in UK desert

I travel quite a bit and strictly on iPhone So based on the time I figured there either night owls, traveling people like myself or abroad

If you use the Chunnel ?
If so what's the drive time to Paris?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#325 May 2, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really. The title of the thread came from its originator, Paul WV, who began by posting a link to an article on global discrimination against nonbelievers.
http://iheu.org/story/new-global-report-discr...
Paul is one of atheism's adversaries, and as such, anything he posts her is best taken with a healthy dose of skepticism I don't think many of the regular atheist contributors think of ourselves as being in a fight--more of an ongoing disagreement that sometimes gets very personal. I don't think winning or losing enters into it very often.
I do consider myself to be in a fight against ignorance and superstition. That's why I am a professor at a university. On the other hand, not all people who are religious are ignorant. Many are even good people. I see no reason to fight them.
Thinking

UK

#326 May 2, 2013
I've driven that a few times. Takes around 3 hours from driving off the train at Calais to reach the Périphérique. Then things get slow.

If you're not driving, the train from London to Paris is now as quick as 2 hours 16 minutes.
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Spotted Dick - in USA funny, in UK desert
I travel quite a bit and strictly on iPhone So based on the time I figured there either night owls, traveling people like myself or abroad
If you use the Chunnel ?
If so what's the drive time to Paris?
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#327 May 2, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do consider myself to be in a fight against ignorance and superstition. That's why I am a professor at a university.
Hi Poly, in which subject/s?
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#328 May 2, 2013
Seen on the other thread.. physics.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 min renee 31,317
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr ChristineM 255,314
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 3 hr ChristineM 9,738
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr ChristineM 13,306
Majority of Scots now have no religion 5 hr Eagle 12 9
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 6 hr Eagle 12 4,352
News Speaking for God 7 hr Richardfs 593
More from around the web