Can You Justify Atheism Without a Scientific Understanding of the Origin of the Universe?

Nov 1, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Daily Nexus

Topics like the formation of the universe are always contentious because there isn't a universally accepted theory, and they can't all be right.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 8 of8

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

Judged:

Easy, to the title, until there is evidence supporting any of the claims of a god that cannot be refuted or rationalized as something else, then being an atheist is the only truly honest way to be. End of story.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

Judged:

One probably needs some sort of scientific basis for anti-creationism, I suppose, but the article's question ignores an underlying one: are any of use required to justify atheism at all? For me the answer is no. It is, quite frankly, no one's business what others believe or why, and the question also carries the underlying assumption that others have to believe what their peers do unless they can explain why they believe differently. What arrogance!

It also ignores the possibility that some might not give a rat's ass how the earth or the universe of which it is a part came to be. All that really matters is that religious explanations seem too farfetched to waste time thinking about, and that only matters to the person whose time it is.

For any atheist to make extensive use of "we" and "our" carries a similar assumption, i.e. that atheists speak with one voice on whatever is under consideration. We do not. But, as the article says at the end, "Travis Vail is a fourth-year communication major." No offense, guy, but that explains a lot.

Since: Sep 10

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

Judged:

All humans are born atheists until they are molested with religion. And all humans are born inquisitive, and will learn from experience and observation.

The Pirah„ tribe in the amazon are not "scientists" as we would call one, but they do use scientific principles - they are smart and have figured out how to survive in their environment. They also don't believe in any religious bullshit whatsoever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirah „_people

The question on this topic is utterly stupid, asked from the idiotic assumption that religion has any relevance in the first place, or the bullshit claim that religion has anything to do with morality.

Once again, more "roboblogger" bullshit. It's time for me to post another two news stories in the christian forum, stories NOT posted by "roboblogger". One is Eric Bodenweiser, teabagger, child rapist republicunt and republicunt candidate for the Delaware state senate. The other is anti-gay "traditional values" republicunt Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne who committed a hit-and-run felony with his mistress in the car. He was caught because the FBI were following Horne, under investigation for campaign finance violations.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

There is no need to justify Atheism. It IS the natural state of mind.

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Of course. We see again the misunderstanding that evolution, the Big Bang, abiogenesis and atheism are all the same things or related. Sigh.

How many times does this have to be explained to people? Atheism = without theism. That's it.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Aed1oub2 wrote:
There is no need to justify Atheism. It IS the natural state of mind.
The only people that need to justify stuff are the idiots who invent and believe in bullsh*t aka religion. They're so far up their asses that they would rather lie about science and atheism, than do some f*cking hard work and prove their retarded infantile hallucinations.

I think religious people just want to feel morally superior and willfully ignorant compared with the rest of the population - it is a mental illness after all.

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Judged:

The question should be. Can you justify theism without any proof of deities?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
The question should be. Can you justify theism without any proof of deities?
I don't think your wording matches your message well, though that is just an assumption on my part because it just doesn't sound right worded like that. I would posit this:

How can you justify theism lacking any evidence to support it?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 8 of8
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••