Atheism and homosexuality

Dec 5, 2011 Full story: Conservapedia 3,862

Creationist scientists and creationist assert that the theory of evolution cannot account for the origin of gender and sexual reproduction.http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/136http://www.answersingenesis.org/pbs_nova/0928ep5.asp [[Creation Ministries International]] states: "Homosexual acts go against [[God]]'s original [[Intelligent design ... (more)

Full Story

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#1882 Aug 22, 2013
_Susan_ wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a strange rule and should be rescinded. It only came about because the Catholic church wanted more money.
It's a bit more complicated than that, but I basically agree with you.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#1883 Aug 22, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't.
Most of my immediate family is religious to a greater or lessor degree.
I get along with them quite nicely-- I even have discussions with my brother about atheism and religion.(after his kids are in bed-- I am not a monster-- they are **his** kids, not mine, so it would be unethical for me to go against what he's taught them).
Of course, when they are older? If they ask? Well... that's a horse of another color-- I'll be honest, I'll not lie to them to spare feelings.
In fact? I seldom go out of my way to promote atheism--
-- with two notable exceptions: Topix and Facebook.
And, naturally, how I **vote**...
... but who doesn't vote as they see fit?
:)
good post. My thanks.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#1884 Aug 22, 2013
Of course the main reason the religious right opposes equality for gays and lesbians under civil laws is much like why they oppose atheism.

Both take power away from them and their fascist mindset.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1885 Aug 22, 2013
DNF wrote:
Of course the main reason the religious right opposes equality for gays and lesbians under civil laws is much like why they oppose atheism.
Both take power away from them and their fascist mindset.
Unfortunately, there is a great deal of truth in what you just stated.

We truly have the best government money can buy.

It's a shame, that the system is rigged to the highest bidder, instead of some more egalitarian system ...

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#1886 Aug 23, 2013
The left holds the minority opinion on same sex marriage, amnesty for illegals, Obamacare and big government spending. The left is good at dominating the media and defaming their political opponents; I give them that.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#1887 Aug 23, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
The left holds the minority opinion on same sex marriage, amnesty for illegals, Obamacare and big government spending. The left is good at dominating the media and defaming their political opponents; I give them that.
LOL

“RAINBOW POWER!”

Since: Oct 08

I Am What I Am.

#1888 Aug 23, 2013
Then along comes a pope who hates the idea of marriage (and likely hates women too-but that's something else).
He declares unilaterally that all priests are now officially **not** married-- and that their kids are now b*astards, and their wives, harlots or worse.
This was a move to grab all the property owned by all those village priests all over Europe.
Just curious -- Where did you get this info. and do you know the name of that pope? I'd like to get more details on this.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#1889 Aug 23, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
For religious people to claim god is real, is an attempt to be scientific. And on this note they are wrong
Depends on how far they take the assertion. Non-fundie religious people have no problem with the fact that the 'God concept' is not scientific and unprovable. We can say that based on the evidence that any literalistic interpretations of creationism are certainly false.
-Skeptic- wrote:
and god isn't real.
Actually the concept is not well defined enough to make a definitive assertion on its existence either way. Since the concept is non-scientific because of it being non-falsifiable you are unable to assert that it is falsified unless you have finally found a way to make it scientific and use the scientific method to falsify said concept. Since you claim to have performed those scientific tests I'd like to know what they are and how exactly they determined the non-existence of an entity which allegedly exists beyond the current boundaries of our spacetime continuum.
-Skeptic- wrote:
Really not sure why anyone hasn't realised this in thousands of years...are most humans that stupid?
Which includes you, since you are an atheist of the fundamentalist variety. The very thing which technically should not exist if atheism is supposed to be based on rational empiricism. But in your case it isn't because you've never been able to address a single point in two years.

Since this is usually when you froth at the mouth, would you like a handkerchief, Skip?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#1890 Aug 23, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
The left holds the minority opinion on same sex marriage, amnesty for illegals, Obamacare and big government spending.
Doesn't matter if blacks are in the minority, they are still allowed equal rights.
Brian_G wrote:
The left is good at dominating the media and defaming their political opponents; I give them that.
Projection. One thing the American right wing do have down as an art is PR and propaganda.

Not that Brian's quite got the hang of it yet.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1891 Aug 23, 2013
Wolfgang E B wrote:
<quoted text>
Just curious -- Where did you get this info. and do you know the name of that pope? I'd like to get more details on this.
I got the details out of several books (dead tree variety) back in the '90's when I was studying church history.

Let me see if I can dredge up some links.

Okay, that was quick-- a short bit from a rather biased article mentions a time-frame, and two names:

" http://hnn.us/articles/696.html" ;
The practice of priestly celibacy began to spread in the Western Church in the early Middle Ages. In the early 11th century Pope Benedict VIII responded to the decline in priestly morality by issuing a rule prohibiting the children of priests from inheriting property. A few decades later Pope Gregory VII issued a decree against clerical marriages.
This rather dry entry has some additional details, but is notibly missing in the motives or the writ of the papal decree. But that's to be expected from Wiki, where the Genuine Catholics™ can edit out any criticism of their ugly religion.
" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerical_celibac... (Catholic_Church)#Historical_o rigins"

Here is an interesting editorial/opinion piece, which gives some historical references: " http://atheism.about.com/od/romancatholicism/... ;

Alas, I cannot locate any scholarly histories on the subject.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#1892 Aug 23, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
If your cause is just there would be no reason for you to continue to be deceptive.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#1893 Aug 24, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't matter if blacks are in the minority, they are still allowed equal rights.
<quoted text>
Projection. One thing the American right wing do have down as an art is PR and propaganda.
Not that Brian's quite got the hang of it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1894 Aug 24, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =oCpOagMBD08XX
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Interesting vids.

Alas, the second one was of horrid bigots arguing how their bigotry should be made into law, and I couldn't listen to all of it.

But the first one? Beautifully done.

:)

“RAINBOW POWER!”

Since: Oct 08

I Am What I Am.

#1895 Aug 24, 2013
Alas, I cannot locate any scholarly histories on the subject.
Thanks. It's a good starting point anyway.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#1896 Aug 25, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Why do you volunteer your worthless creationist opinions unprompted?

Location hidden

#1897 Aug 25, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends on how far they take the assertion. Non-fundie religious people have no problem with the fact that the 'God concept' is not scientific and unprovable. We can say that based on the evidence that any literalistic interpretations of creationism are certainly false.
<quoted text>
Actually the concept is not well defined enough to make a definitive assertion on its existence either way. Since the concept is non-scientific because of it being non-falsifiable you are unable to assert that it is falsified unless you have finally found a way to make it scientific and use the scientific method to falsify said concept. Since you claim to have performed those scientific tests I'd like to know what they are and how exactly they determined the non-existence of an entity which allegedly exists beyond the current boundaries of our spacetime continuum.
<quoted text>
Which includes you, since you are an atheist of the fundamentalist variety. The very thing which technically should not exist if atheism is supposed to be based on rational empiricism. But in your case it isn't because you've never been able to address a single point in two years.
Since this is usually when you froth at the mouth, would you like a handkerchief, Skip?
The burden of proof lies upon the idiot who decides to invent and lie about god.

There is no such thing as god.

That is where the conversation is supposed to end.

But you're ignorant of the burden of proof, and decide to continue to type utter nonsense.

When you're able to prove that "god is possible" you will then have to graduate to "god may or may not be real"

And not before.

Its been explained to you in great detail over the last two years but you keep embarassing yourself over and over again by bringing it up.

Location hidden

#1898 Aug 25, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you claim to have performed those scientific tests I'd like to know what they are and how exactl...blah blah blah fake intellectual bullsh*t
The science doesn't start until the idiot who claims god is real, proves it.

Its that simple.

I never said I'd conducted any tests. That's the whole point of the burden of proof.

Its the idiots like creationist / agnostics like yourself that have a mental illness that prevents you from understanding basic procedural logic.

Procedural logic happens in this order:

1. idiot dreams up god.
2. idiot proves god is possible
3. evidence for god presented
4. god becomes real
5. idiot stops being idiot.

Its that f*cking simple you idiot!!!

Here's how it looks like for atheists:

1. Atheist waits for idiot to dream up god.
2. Atheist waits for idiot to prove god is possible
3. Atheist gets on with life.

As you can see, the atheist does not need to do any science UNTIL the idiot has proven his god.

This cannot be spelled out to you any clearer dude.

I await your ignorant pseudo-intellectual accusatory reply, signalling you've understood none of the above...again.

*sigh dumb agnostics*

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#1899 Aug 25, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
The science doesn't start until the idiot who claims god is real, proves it.
Its that simple.
I never said I'd conducted any tests. That's the whole point of the burden of proof.
Its the idiots like creationist / agnostics like yourself that have a mental illness that prevents you from understanding basic procedural logic.
1. idiot dreams up god.
4. god becomes real
As you can see, the atheist does not need to do any science UNTIL the idiot has proven his god.
This cannot be spelled out to you any clearer dude.
I await your ignorant pseudo-intellectual accusatory reply, signalling you've understood none of the above...again.
*sigh dumb agnostics*
And still you ignore the logical possibility that something can exist without you being able to prove that it exists.

I don't believe in God, but as The Dude (and Kong, and Mike, and many others) said, the concept of God is possible and there is nothing a dogmatic fundamentalist like you can do about it.

Tell me Skeptic, in your two years of singular focus on this subject, how many in the atheist/agnostic camp have you managed to persuade as to the validity of your "logic", wherein you seem to think that you are the first person in history who has definitively proven that God cannot possibly exist?

mmmm? How many have you convinced?

Location hidden

#1900 Aug 25, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And still you ignore the logical possibility that something can exist without you being able to prove that it exists.
I don't believe in God, but as The Dude (and Kong, and Mike, and many others) said, the concept of God is possible and there is nothing a dogmatic fundamentalist like you can do about it.
Tell me Skeptic, in your two years of singular focus on this subject, how many in the atheist/agnostic camp have you managed to persuade as to the validity of your "logic", wherein you seem to think that you are the first person in history who has definitively proven that God cannot possibly exist?
mmmm? How many have you convinced?
I'll repeat this for the idiot that decided to answer back:

1. idiot dreams up god.
4. god becomes real

Why people have a mental illness when it comes to understanding so f*cking simple is beyond us all.

This is the part where you're supposed to go: "Oh yeah, god isn't real until the idiot that came up with it proves it. Now I will go back to my normal life."

But you choose to exercise your stupidity again and again and again.

I ask you again, what is wrong with you people?

Location hidden

#1901 Aug 25, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And still you ignore the logical possibility blah blah blah, I'm an idiot who can't real properly, but think I'm smart...
Read point 2. carefully. God simply isn't a logical possibility until it is proven so.

Its amazing how far you will misread and lie in order to repeat your mental illness's opinions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 25 min Insults Are Easier 231,779
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' (May '14) 1 hr Morse 99
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr woodtick57 819
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 2 hr thetruth 14,433
Siro is writing a new book 2 hr thetruth 3
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr thetruth 1,419
Evidence for God! 2 hr thetruth 182

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE