Atheism and homosexuality

Atheism and homosexuality

There are 3861 comments on the Conservapedia story from Dec 5, 2011, titled Atheism and homosexuality. In it, Conservapedia reports that:

Creationist scientists and creationist assert that the theory of evolution cannot account for the origin of gender and sexual reproduction.http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/136http://www.answersingenesis.org/pbs_nova/0928ep5.asp [[Creation Ministries International]] states: "Homosexual acts go against [[God]]'s original [[Intelligent design ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Conservapedia.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#1348 Aug 5, 2013
Even lides understands Pennsylvania doesn't license same sex marriage:

Corbett, Kane Lock Horns Over Gay Marriage in Pennsylvania
Challenges to State's Law Pit Governor Against Attorney General, County Official

By KRIS MAHER CONNECT
Challenges to a Pennsylvania law banning same-sex marriages are pitting the state's governor against its attorney general and a county official who has chosen to defy the law.

Kathleen Kane, the state's Democratic attorney general, has said she won't defend a state law defining marriage as between "one man and one woman." That law has been challenged in a lawsuit brought by the American Civil Liberties Union last month in federal district court in Harrisburg.

Ms. Kane, who was elected to her post last year, argues the state law is unconstitutional in light of the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling in U.S. v. Windsor. She has delegated the task of defending it to the governor's legal staff, which has filed a preliminary response to the ACLU suit.

Gov. Tom Corbett, a Republican, maintains that Ms. Kane should enforce the law. "Individual elected officials cannot pick and choose which laws to enforce," a spokeswoman for the governor said. A spokesman for Ms. Kane responded that she made a "legal decision" consistent with her oath to defend the U.S. and state constitutions....
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142412788...

Since: Sep 07

Los Angeles, CA

#1349 Aug 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Same sex marriage is bad because it fosters corrupt public employees:
LOL! This ought to be hillarious.
Montgomery County Register of Wills sued over gay marriage licenses
By JENNY DeHUFF
NORRISTOWN — The Pennsylvania Department of Health is suing Montgomery County Register of Wills D. Bruce Hanes for issuing same-sex marriage licenses.
The health department issued a Writ of Mandamus Tuesday afternoon, directing Hanes and the orphan’s court to “cease and desist” the issuance of the licenses, calling it,“indicating falsely that marriages between individuals of the same gender have been lawfully performed by a person authorized under the law to perform marriages. The clerk’s actions are in direct defiance of the express policy of the commonwealth that ‘marriage shall be between one man and one woman.’”
So, let's boil this down.

Same sex unions are bad because if we had them then the above situation would not have happened because the paperwork would not need to be altered to fit the situation.

Yeah, THAT makes sense.

Sort of like how ending slavery was bad because it anti-slavery people were helping escaped slaves get to Canada.
“Elected officials do not have the ability to choose which laws they are going to enforce and which laws they aren’t going to enforce,” said Gov. Tom Corbett, during a press conference Tuesday
OF COURSE THEY DO.

Every state in this country has a host of laws which go unenforced on a DAILY basis. Ditto, the federal government.

It is, for your information, a federal felony to own any plant or animal, or product there of, which is illegal to possess in _ANY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD_.

So, FOR EXAMPLE, if you have a bottle of wine (which is ILLEGAL in Saudi Arabia) it's a federal felony.

Or, if you own a pet ferret (which is illegal in several countries) it is a federal felony.

Yet, we choose to NOT enforce this law all the time.

Laws represent the will of the people, it is well within the right of employees of the state to ignore laws which are ill conceived.

Los Angeles, CA

#1350 Aug 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
They will by 2015.

By 2020 there won't be a single state in the US that outlaws same sex marriage.

By 2025, none of the current opponents to same sex marriage will admit that they once held the opinions they hold today.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#1351 Aug 5, 2013
Not if we can stop the bullies:

The tangled web of conflicting rights

By George Will

Elaine Huguenin, who with her husband operates Elane Photography in New Mexico, asks only to be let alone.

But instead of being allowed a reasonable zone of sovereignty in which to live her life in accordance with her beliefs, she is being bullied by people wielding government power.

In 2006, Vanessa Willock e-mailed Elane Photography about photographing a “commitment ceremony” that she and her partner were planning. Willock said that this would be a “same-gender ceremony.” Elane Photography responded that it photographed “traditional weddings.” The Huguenins are Christians who, for religious reasons, disapprove of same-sex unions. Willock sent a second e-mail asking whether this meant that the company “does not offer photography services to same-sex couples.” Elane Photography responded that “you are correct.”

Willock could then have said regarding Elane Photography what many same-sex couples have long hoped a tolerant society would say regarding them —“live and let live.” Willock could have hired a photographer with no objections to such events. Instead, Willock and her partner set out to break the Huguenins to the state’s saddle...

So, in the name of tolerance, government declares intolerable individuals such as the Huguenins, who disapprove of a certain behavior but ask only to be let alone in their quiet disapproval. Perhaps advocates of gay rights should begin to restrain the bullies in their ranks.

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/will091...

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1352 Aug 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Same sex marriage is bad because it fosters corrupt public employees:
So what?

Public employees are ALREADY corrupt.

What else is new, bigot?

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#1353 Aug 5, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
So what? Public employees are ALREADY corrupt.
^^^Proves my point.

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
What else is new, bigot?
They call us names because unthinking, emotional arguments impress with low information voters. If you promote something like same sex marriage; you don't want people to think about the issues.

lides

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#1354 Aug 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
^^^Proves my point.
It proves that you are a lunatic with poor reading comprehension and logic skills.

lides

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

#1355 Aug 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Corbett, Kane Lock Horns Over Gay Marriage in Pennsylvania
No. I understand that you are a clueless twit troll, with little capacity for logical thinking.

Tell me Brian, how did gay marriage, which is not legal in Pennsylvania cause this. Could it be that your assertion is simply more of your bigoted crap.

What will you do with your time when gay marriage is legal I'm all states?

Los Angeles, CA

#1356 Aug 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Not if we can stop the bullies:
The tangled web of conflicting rights
By George Will
Elaine Huguenin, who with her husband operates Elane Photography in New Mexico, asks only to be let alone.
But instead of being allowed a reasonable zone of sovereignty in which to live her life in accordance with her beliefs, she is being bullied by people wielding government power.
In 2006, Vanessa Willock e-mailed Elane Photography about photographing a “commitment ceremony” that she and her partner were planning. Willock said that this would be a “same-gender ceremony.” Elane Photography responded that it photographed “traditional weddings.” The Huguenins are Christians who, for religious reasons, disapprove of same-sex unions. Willock sent a second e-mail asking whether this meant that the company “does not offer photography services to same-sex couples.” Elane Photography responded that “you are correct.”
Willock could then have said regarding Elane Photography what many same-sex couples have long hoped a tolerant society would say regarding them —“live and let live.” Willock could have hired a photographer with no objections to such events. Instead, Willock and her partner set out to break the Huguenins to the state’s saddle...
So, in the name of tolerance, government declares intolerable individuals such as the Huguenins, who disapprove of a certain behavior but ask only to be let alone in their quiet disapproval. Perhaps advocates of gay rights should begin to restrain the bullies in their ranks.
http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/will091...
Replace "same sex" with "inter-racial" and re-read. Tell me if you have the same opinion.

Los Angeles, CA

#1357 Aug 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>^^^Proves my point.
<quoted text>They call us names because unthinking, emotional arguments impress with low information voters. If you promote something like same sex marriage; you don't want people to think about the issues.
Holy Crap! You have committed kitten genocide!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1358 Aug 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
That you are a closet-homosexual afraid of his own sexuality?

Sure... that was pretty clear from some of your first posts.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#1359 Aug 5, 2013
CH2O2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you please explain how Japonese culture views homosexuality and same sex behaviour? Is there a difference to them?
This is the go-to guy for homosexuality in Japan:

http://intersections.anu.edu.au/issue3/mclell...

He's done research on it for over a decade and knows what he's talking about.

I separate same sex sexual behavior and homosexuality to be as specific as possible, so that I can discuss cultural differences (and species differences, at the evolutionary level), since sexuality is not done the same cross culturally.

You get the same problems when discussing gender across cultures - the category "man" in non-Western cultures entails different meaning and qualities than it does in the West. American men, for ex. can cook and do housework, but Japanese men are thought more or less incapable of doing such things. So you have to describe gender in cultural context.

And that's what I'm trying to do when I separate sexual behavior from sexual identity. Does this make sense to you?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#1360 Aug 5, 2013
To add to Hiding's post above, also consider many same-sex acts in prison are engaged in by non-homosexuals who are 'lifers' that would otherwise not consider this activity.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#1361 Aug 5, 2013
Hello you, how many Japanese female sushi chefs are there?

The reason I ask is that I'm a British guy that adores cooking for others... I put a lot of work in but I don't think I'd ever be accurate enough to be be any form of sushi chef. I'm very sure my French wife could do it though, given time and tuition.

I want to ship my Se7en over to travese beautiful Japan but I'm intimidated by your language.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the go-to guy for homosexuality in Japan:
http://intersections.anu.edu.au/issue3/mclell...
He's done research on it for over a decade and knows what he's talking about.
I separate same sex sexual behavior and homosexuality to be as specific as possible, so that I can discuss cultural differences (and species differences, at the evolutionary level), since sexuality is not done the same cross culturally.
You get the same problems when discussing gender across cultures - the category "man" in non-Western cultures entails different meaning and qualities than it does in the West. American men, for ex. can cook and do housework, but Japanese men are thought more or less incapable of doing such things. So you have to describe gender in cultural context.
And that's what I'm trying to do when I separate sexual behavior from sexual identity. Does this make sense to you?
Thinking

Royston, UK

#1362 Aug 5, 2013
Let us hope so... earlier please.

US christians gave lots of reasons why women and black people shouldn't get the vote but they've forgotten they did that now.
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
They will by 2015.
By 2020 there won't be a single state in the US that outlaws same sex marriage.
By 2025, none of the current opponents to same sex marriage will admit that they once held the opinions they hold today.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#1363 Aug 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>They call us names because unthinking, emotional arguments impress with low information voters. If you promote something like same sex marriage; you don't want people to think about the issues.
You get called names because you are offensive and post statements bordering on the obscene. You don't seem to have the ability to think...about the issues or anything else.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#1364 Aug 5, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Hello you, how many Japanese female sushi chefs are there?
The reason I ask is that I'm a British guy that adores cooking for others... I put a lot of work in but I don't think I'd ever be accurate enough to be be any form of sushi chef. I'm very sure my French wife could do it though, given time and tuition.
I want to ship my Se7en over to travese beautiful Japan but I'm intimidated by your language.
<quoted text>
Very few women sushi chefs - that high level of precision in cooking is thought (more or less) only attainable by men. Women are thought cooks, except at the chef level, then it's men. I imagine these gender disparities will lessen over time.

I'm sure your wife could do it, too :)

Tokyo is pretty easy to navigate - most of the signs are in English, the trains make announcements in English, and a lot of people speak English - more of the populace every year.

However, in the countryside, you'd be screwed :) so bring a map with both English and Japanese and learn to point a lot.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#1365 Aug 5, 2013
Thank you, I hope sat nav will be my saviour...

In the UK, not so many top chefs are women but I don't see any prejudice against them, so this must change within a generation.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Very few women sushi chefs - that high level of precision in cooking is thought (more or less) only attainable by men. Women are thought cooks, except at the chef level, then it's men. I imagine these gender disparities will lessen over time.
I'm sure your wife could do it, too :)
Tokyo is pretty easy to navigate - most of the signs are in English, the trains make announcements in English, and a lot of people speak English - more of the populace every year.
However, in the countryside, you'd be screwed :) so bring a map with both English and Japanese and learn to point a lot.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#1366 Aug 6, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
You get called names because you are offensive and post statements bordering on the obscene. You don't seem to have the ability to think...about the issues or anything else.
Danny's offended by opposing political views: that's why he insults political opponents instead of engaging the argument.

Same sex marriage is bad because it increases government corruption. See the actions of renegade justices of the peace in California and Pennsylvanian who illegally issued same sex marriage licenses for examples.

lides

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

#1367 Aug 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Same sex marriage is bad because it increases government corruption. See the actions of renegade justices of the peace in California and Pennsylvanian who illegally issued same sex marriage licenses for examples.
Brian, you are making a fool of yourself. In neither jurisdiction was gay marriage legal at the time, so how could gay marriage be the source of their actions.

Feel free to provide some proof of your assertions. Currently the only thing you have proven is that you are not smarter than a fifth grader.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 min IB DaMann 74,842
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 4 min IB DaMann 6,085
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 15 min Subduction Zone 126
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 1 hr Eagle 12 - 4,052
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 10 hr John 32,063
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Wed John 4,951
News Why do public atheists have to behave like such... Jun 21 Eagle 12 - 4
More from around the web