Atheism and homosexuality

Atheism and homosexuality

There are 3861 comments on the Conservapedia story from Dec 5, 2011, titled Atheism and homosexuality. In it, Conservapedia reports that:

Creationist scientists and creationist assert that the theory of evolution cannot account for the origin of gender and sexual reproduction.http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/136http://www.answersingenesis.org/pbs_nova/0928ep5.asp [[Creation Ministries International]] states: "Homosexual acts go against [[God]]'s original [[Intelligent design ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Conservapedia.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#1120 Jul 31, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Filing a false marriage license is illegal, same sex cohabitation, same sex religious marriage or travel to and from a state that licenses same sex marriage isn't. The people of Indiana don't want to change their marriage law to allow government a voluntary gender segregation in marriage.
<quoted text>Lying is bad, same sex marriage is worse.
I posted on many threads KY has a civil union law. I was mistaken and regret my error. I spent an hour trying to find every thread to confess my sin and repent of it.

How did you start your day?

lides

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#1121 Jul 31, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Lying is bad, same sex marriage is worse.
Funny, you've certainly been doing a lot of it of late.

You claimed that non state had a gay marriage ban, when 30 of them have constitutional bans against same sex marriage, and 5 more have laws denying same sex couples the right to marry. "States that limit marriage to opposite sex couples" have same sex marriage bans.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/...

You've similarly claimed that no state has democratically passed same sex marriage.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/30/us/same-sex...

Which is it, Brian, are you a liar or a fool?
Amused

Dracut, MA

#1122 Jul 31, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I know of no States that now use the common law marriage gimmick.
He's grasping at straws just like always.
Keep in mind this is the same guy who said ban SSM because he doesn't want to live under Sharia Law!
Alabama, Colorado, Kansas, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Iowa, Montana, Utah and Texas all recognize common law marriage. It is unclear whether Iowa and Rhode Island, which both recognize de jure (with a license) gay marriages would recognize a gay marriage by operation of the common law process.
Amused

Dracut, MA

#1123 Jul 31, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
People don't get to decide they want to be bigots forever.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; ...

All religions proclaim themselves the one true religion, and their followers the possessors of unique, special knowledge, and hence, superior to their neighbors not similarly enlightened. The belief in one's own superiority and the inferiority of others is bigotry, is it not?
Amused

Dracut, MA

#1124 Jul 31, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>...
<quoted text>Lying is bad, same sex marriage is worse.
Lying causes demonstrable harm to others in enough cases to make it socially unacceptable. Please give examples of actual harm to others, or to society as a whole that would attend allowing same sex marriage, such that society has a compelling interest in keeping it illegal? You've been asked this question in one form or another repeatedly, and so far, you've come up with nothing. The absence of evidence that same sex marriage causes harm suggests an absence of such harm. If there were really a downside other than (a) "gay sex is icky to me" or (b)"there's an invisible man in the sky who will get really, really angry if we allow this", I'm sure you would have mentioned it by now.

The answers to your apparent concerns are:
(a) Don't watch
(b) Demonstrate the existence of the invisible guy.

Since: Sep 07

Los Angeles, CA

#1125 Jul 31, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; ...
All religions proclaim themselves the one true religion, and their followers the possessors of unique, special knowledge, and hence, superior to their neighbors not similarly enlightened. The belief in one's own superiority and the inferiority of others is bigotry, is it not?
Yeah, I meant don't get to act on bigotry, but there's no damn edit function on topix

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#1126 Jul 31, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Alabama, Colorado, Kansas, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Iowa, Montana, Utah and Texas all recognize common law marriage. It is unclear whether Iowa and Rhode Island, which both recognize de jure (with a license) gay marriages would recognize a gay marriage by operation of the common law process.
I stand corrected.

Thank you.

Hey did you know that back in 1997 when Indiana banned SSM they made it a crime for members of the clergy to bless same sex couples!

And the anti gays always said that when SSM is Legal ministers would be facing fines and jails.

This has been the law in Indiana for 13 years.

Talk about violating the 1st Amendment! They face $1000 fines and 180 days in jail!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#1127 Jul 31, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
"People take different roads seeking happiness and fulfillment. Just because they aren't on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost"
-The Dalai Lama

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#1128 Jul 31, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>"People take different roads seeking happiness and fulfillment. Just because they aren't on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost"
-The Dalai Lama
Absolutely agree.
Amused

Dracut, MA

#1129 Jul 31, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I stand corrected.
Thank you.
Hey did you know that back in 1997 when Indiana banned SSM they made it a crime for members of the clergy to bless same sex couples!
And the anti gays always said that when SSM is Legal ministers would be facing fines and jails.
This has been the law in Indiana for 13 years.
Talk about violating the 1st Amendment! They face $1000 fines and 180 days in jail!
The law was poorly thought out, and likely enacted more as a publicity stunt than for the purpose of preventing actual gay marriages. You can't get married without a license. Marriage licenses are issued by government officials in advance of the marriage ceremony, then signed by the person celebrating the marriage to verify that the marriage actually took place. Since the government will not issue a license to a same sex couple, there is no license for the person solemnizing the marriage to sign. Whatever ceremony the solemnizing official or clergy member may perform, and no matter what words he/she says, it cannot result in the couple being married.

In the case of a clergyperson of any religion, a statute prohibiting any form of religious ceremony, as opposed to a legal ceremony, which is what a marriage is, not involving human sacrifice or venomous snakes would be a clear First Amendment violation. No doubt that's why the only case arising under Indiana Statutes Annotated 31-11-11-1 reviewed by an appellate court was Sweigart v. State,213 Ind. 157,(1938), where a county clerk was subject to a forfeiture (which is not a criminal conviction) for issuing a license to a couple knowing that one of them was not a resident of his county.(Not a same sex couple.)

Amused

Dracut, MA

#1130 Jul 31, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>"People take different roads seeking happiness and fulfillment. Just because they aren't on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost"
-The Dalai Lama
Same sex marriage opponents are like people in line at Subway flipping out because someone ahead of them ordered a different sandwich from the one they chose.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1132 Jul 31, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Judging from the amount of stupid generated, he must be the hardest working man on Topix.
:)

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Mars

#1133 Jul 31, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>

I saw you were the last poster in this thread and I said to myself "gee, I have not gotten a chance to pay my respects to BoQF lately.

Regards my good man. Nice to run across you.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#1134 Jul 31, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
The law was poorly thought out, and likely enacted more as a publicity stunt than for the purpose of preventing actual gay marriages. You can't get married without a license. Marriage licenses are issued by government officials in advance of the marriage ceremony, then signed by the person celebrating the marriage to verify that the marriage actually took place. Since the government will not issue a license to a same sex couple, there is no license for the person solemnizing the marriage to sign. Whatever ceremony the solemnizing official or clergy member may perform, and no matter what words he/she says, it cannot result in the couple being married.
As you pointed out a blessing isn't always a marriage ceremony. Yes it was a badly thought out law. But at the time many people didn't care. They didn't care about Constitutions and laws and equal protection or religious freedom. And since it is still the law then it's obvious that they don't acre about religious freedoms and anything in the Constitution (except probably their guns). Family values? I have a hard time accepting that throwing a pastor in jail for practicing his faith is a corer American Family value. But Indiana proved me wrong.
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>In the case of a clergyperson of any religion, a statute prohibiting any form of religious ceremony, as opposed to a legal ceremony, which is what a marriage is, not involving human sacrifice or venomous snakes would be a clear First Amendment violation. No doubt that's why the only case arising under Indiana Statutes Annotated 31-11-11-1 reviewed by an appellate court was Sweigart v. State,213 Ind. 157,(1938), where a county clerk was subject to a forfeiture (which is not a criminal conviction) for issuing a license to a couple knowing that one of them was not a resident of his county.(Not a same sex couple.)
Yet the law has not been challenged as far as I know. The only conclusion one can make is that in Indiana if you don't obey certain pulpits you might end up in a very bad place. And I don't mean hell.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#1135 Jul 31, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Same sex marriage opponents are like people in line at Subway flipping out because someone ahead of them ordered a different sandwich from the one they chose.
I was about to say that makes no sense. Then I saw that it does.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#1136 Jul 31, 2013
The AssTroll Stopper wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a LIAR. The only thing you're embarrassed about is getting caught in a lie. I've caught you in several lies. You sinned alright, cause you right out lied. It's not a sin when you make an honest mistake. But we both know you don't make them kind of mistakes. That's the reason you're repenting, as you call it. You're Pathetic.
Let the people decide. Isn't that what you always said before?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1137 Jul 31, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw you were the last poster in this thread and I said to myself "gee, I have not gotten a chance to pay my respects to BoQF lately.
Regards my good man. Nice to run across you.

How's life treating you?

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#1138 Aug 1, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
That is a related law, but what I'm referring to is the law against performing a ceremony
There's no law against performing a religious same sex wedding ceremony; misrepresenting that as a state sanctioned marriage is illegal. Court officials and clergy don't have the right to rewrite marriage law for everyone or to lie on an official license.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#1139 Aug 1, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>There's no law against performing a religious same sex wedding ceremony; misrepresenting that as a state sanctioned marriage is illegal. Court officials and clergy don't have the right to rewrite marriage law for everyone or to lie on an official license.
In many states those marriages ARE legal, and the federal government recognizes all of those.

You don't believe in religious freedom?

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Mars

#1140 Aug 1, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
How's life treating you?

I can't complain.

Pretty busy. When I have time I continue to play cat to the creationist mice. For diversity I beat up on a few Jehovah Witnesses. They are a little different. Instead of throwing the same crud at me over and over they scramble around and quote-mine verses from their own travesty of a Bible "translation".

Keeps it fresh.

What is new in your life?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 2 hr Dogen 3,302
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Dogen 83,943
News BILL-BORED: Get Ready For Atheists' Annual Use ... 3 hr Cordwainer Trout 6
Where have all the Atheists gone? (Apr '17) 5 hr Bongo 135
News Scientist Richard Dawkins weighs in on Malaysia... 17 hr Eagle 12 - 6
High School Atheism Thu blacklagoon 3 41
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Wed Eagle 12 - 4,965
More from around the web