Atheism and homosexuality

Dec 5, 2011 Full story: Conservapedia 3,862

Creationist scientists and creationist assert that the theory of evolution cannot account for the origin of gender and sexual reproduction.http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/136http://www.answersingenesis.org/pbs_nova/0928ep5.asp [[Creation Ministries International]] states: "Homosexual acts go against [[God]]'s original [[Intelligent design ... (more)

Full Story

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#1099 Jul 31, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
That's true enough.
But the bible has far more commands **to** murder a bible-law-breaker than it has against it.
I can't argue with that. It would be foolish and deceitful.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#1100 Jul 31, 2013
lides wrote:
Brian 35 states have some restriction against same sex marriage....
lides' tacitly admits his error; no state bans same sex marriage. Every state has restrictions on marriage; that's, no state bans religious same sex marriage ceremonies, travel to and from state's that license same sex marriage for your ceremony or asking your social milieu to treat you and your partner as if married. Polygamy is banned, not same sex marriage.

Same sex marriage is bad because it's built on half truth and full out lies.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#1101 Jul 31, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>lides' tacitly admits his error; no state bans same sex marriage. Every state has restrictions on marriage; that's, no state bans religious same sex marriage ceremonies, travel to and from state's that license same sex marriage for your ceremony or asking your social milieu to treat you and your partner as if married. Polygamy is banned, not same sex marriage.
Brian. Oh boy. SSM is banned because it was popular at the time.

And you keep talking about religious ceremonies and a license. Churches don't issue marriage licenses, the government does.

Yes the laws vary from State to State. You got that right for a change. First cousin marriages are banned in most States YET those marriages are legal in states that ban them if the marriage is done in a State that has them legal. Same with age of consent marriage laws. Understand now?

I'm glad you are finally giving up the polygamy bandwagon stuff you used to use as a battle cry.

And I know when I say this many will FREAK when but I think you deserve credit for that change.

BTW you're welcome for my defending you with Lides. I guess the thank you just slipped your mind.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#1102 Jul 31, 2013
sorry for the typos. Not paying enough attention.

should read: "And I know when I say this many will FREAK but I think you deserve credit for that change."
Amused

Princeton, MA

#1103 Jul 31, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
It's funny that adultery is prosecuted under military law while rape is permitted.
Even if I were to accept that a single law in Mass is somehow magically a Federal Law (not how that works by the way), then that would bring the sum total of "Christian laws" to 4 out of 10 Commandments.
If our legal system is based ENTIRELY ON CHRISTIANITY, then "Coveting" would be a crime. In fact, it would be MORE SEVERE a crime than murder, since there are TWO commandments against it.
No, our legal system was created DESPITE Christianity, not because of it.
Oh, and by the way in Mass, it's illegal for women to be on top during sex.
United States v. Windsor stands for, among other propositions, the principle that laws relating to marriage and divorce are the almost exclusive province of the states, and there is no federal domestic relations law. Actually, there is quite a long line of cases holding that to be true. So, except for military discipline, there never will be a federal law on adultery.(Although, there is a federal law that makes any act which is a crime under the law of the state where federal land is located a federal crime if the same act is committed on federal property, even if there is no federal counterpart to the state statute. So, theoretically, two federal bureaucrats married, but not to each other, could be prosecuted in federal court for a quickie in a vacant conference room at work.)

In general, adultery is rarely prosecuted partly because of the utter indifference of prosecutors, and partly because it is not an easy thing to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. Few people have sex with others watching. There's lots of situations where everyone 'knows'what happened, but there are no eyewitnesses. Both parties to the act have a Fifth Amendment privilege. An uncorroborated admission isn't sufficient evidence. What looks to a layman like a slam dunk is actually a slam dunk for the defense.

This is my favorite absurd law attempting to regulate morality. It is also in Mass. Gen. L. Ch. 272: Section 26. Whoever, for the purpose of immoral solicitation or immoral bargaining, shall resort to any café, restaurant, tavern, as defined in section one of chapter one hundred and thirty-eight, or other place where food or drink is sold or served to be consumed upon the premises, and whoever shall resort to any such place for the purpose of, in any manner, inducing another person to engage in immoral conduct, and whoever, being in or about any such place, shall engage in any such acts, and any person owning, managing or controlling such place and any employee of such person who induces or knowingly suffers any person to resort to, or be in such place for the purpose of immoral solicitation or immoral bargaining, shall be punished by a fine of not less than twenty-five nor more than five hundred dollars or by imprisonment for not more than one year, or both.

In other words, it is a crime in Massachusetts to go to a bar with the intention of picking up a woman for sex. You don't even have to actually proposition any woman. Merely entering the bar with that intent, without any overt act, is a crime. In practice, this has become a tool for harassing bar owners whose establishments are out of favor with local licensing boards.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#1104 Jul 31, 2013
DNF wrote:
sorry for the typos. Not paying enough attention.
should read: "And I know when I say this many will FREAK but I think you deserve credit for that change."
I posted on many threads KY has a civil union law. I was mistaken and regret my error.
Amused

Princeton, MA

#1105 Jul 31, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>lides' tacitly admits his error; no state bans same sex marriage. Every state has restrictions on marriage; that's, no state bans religious same sex marriage ceremonies, travel to and from state's that license same sex marriage for your ceremony or asking your social milieu to treat you and your partner as if married. Polygamy is banned, not same sex marriage.
Marriage is a legal matter, and a religious ceremony alone does not create a legally recognized marriage. You can ask people to treat you as married, you can get a clergy member to perform whatever ceremony you desire, but if you do not have the license from the state, you are not married, except in states that recognize common law marriage. There are fewer of these as the trend has been towards having a bright-line test on who is or is not married. Conversely, if you obtain the license, a lay official can perform a rudimentary ceremony, and, without any religious ceremony or observance whatsoever, you are married.

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#1106 Jul 31, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
no state bans religious same sex marriage ceremonies
Indiana

"The law also penalizes a clergyman, judge, mayor, city clerk or town clerk-treasurer who solemnizes a marriage between two people of the same gender. Those who conduct a gay marriage ceremony can be charged with a Class B misdemeanor, punishable by up to 180 days in jail and a fine of up to $1,000."

It is illegal to perform a same sex marriage.

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#1107 Jul 31, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
lides' tacitly admits his error; no state bans same sex marriage.
And, then I publicly reassert the truth that you are an ignorant imbecile. 30 states have constitutional amendments BANNING same sex marriage. Only an idiot, or a liar, would claim that they don't.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/...
Which is it, Brian, are you an idiot, or a liar?
Brian_G wrote:
Every state has restrictions on marriage; that's, no state bans religious same sex marriage ceremonies, travel to and from state's that license same sex marriage for your ceremony or asking your social milieu to treat you and your partner as if married. Polygamy is banned, not same sex marriage.
The question is whether the restrictions are constitutional. Limitations for marriage to be between a man and a woman are not. Time and time again you have been offered the opportunity to offer a compelling state interest served by such a restriction, yet you have lacked the ability to do so. Or perhaps, you merely lack the mental capacity.
Brian_G wrote:
No, Brian, that would be your arguments.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#1109 Jul 31, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
Indiana
"The law also penalizes a clergyman, judge, mayor, city clerk or town clerk-treasurer who solemnizes a marriage between two people of the same gender. Those who conduct a gay marriage ceremony can be charged with a Class B misdemeanor, punishable by up to 180 days in jail and a fine of up to $1,000."
Here's the citation:
http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/govt-and-p...

From the article:

"A 1997 state law declares it a Class D felony to submit false information on a marriage license application or lie about the physical condition, including gender, of a marriage license applicant."

Same sex marriage is like perjurious license applications.
Amused

Princeton, MA

#1110 Jul 31, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Here's the citation:
From the article:
"A 1997 state law declares it a Class D felony to submit false information on a marriage license application or lie about the physical condition, including gender, of a marriage license applicant."
They are, apparently, both against the law in Indiana. Which sort of blows a hole in your theory that gay marriage is not illegal. If you tell the truth about the gender of both parties, the celebrant of the marriage is liable to conviction of a misdemeanor for performing the marriage. If you lie about their gender, the persons applying for the license are subject to a more severe penalty.
Thinking

UK

#1111 Jul 31, 2013
Would you like to try that again using accepted English?
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
Amused

Princeton, MA

#1112 Jul 31, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not know-- tell us, do **you** work at it daily?
Judging from the amount of stupid generated, he must be the hardest working man on Topix.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#1113 Jul 31, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Marriage is a legal matter, and a religious ceremony alone does not create a legally recognized marriage. You can ask people to treat you as married, you can get a clergy member to perform whatever ceremony you desire, but if you do not have the license from the state, you are not married, except in states that recognize common law marriage. There are fewer of these as the trend has been towards having a bright-line test on who is or is not married. Conversely, if you obtain the license, a lay official can perform a rudimentary ceremony, and, without any religious ceremony or observance whatsoever, you are married.
I know of no States that now use the common law marriage gimmick.

He's grasping at straws just like always.

Keep in mind this is the same guy who said ban SSM because he doesn't want to live under Sharia Law!

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#1114 Jul 31, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Indiana
If you also can send me a link I'd like to post a story about that.

Thanks,
David F

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#1115 Jul 31, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
From the article:
Thanks. Religious discrimination is alive and well in Indiana. Not surprising considering they always had the largest number of KKK members of all the States.

I don't think you'd look good in those robes and pointy hats Brian.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#1116 Jul 31, 2013
Amused wrote:
They are, apparently, both against the law in Indiana. Which sort of blows a hole in your theory that gay marriage is not illegal.
Filing a false marriage license is illegal, same sex cohabitation, same sex religious marriage or travel to and from a state that licenses same sex marriage isn't. The people of Indiana don't want to change their marriage law to allow government a voluntary gender segregation in marriage.

Amused wrote:
If you tell the truth about the gender of both parties, the celebrant of the marriage is liable to conviction of a misdemeanor for performing the marriage. If you lie about their gender, the persons applying for the license are subject to a more severe penalty.
Lying is bad, same sex marriage is worse.

Valley Village, CA

#1117 Jul 31, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
From the article:
That is a related law, but what I'm referring to is the law against performing a ceremony

Valley Village, CA

#1118 Jul 31, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Filing a false marriage license is illegal, same sex cohabitation, same sex religious marriage or travel to and from a state that licenses same sex marriage isn't. The people of Indiana don't want to change their marriage law to allow government a voluntary gender segregation in marriage.
<quoted text>Lying is bad, same sex marriage is worse.
The people of the South didn't want to change their laws to allow a "Government based de-slavery of property"

People don't get to decide they want to be bigots forever.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#1119 Jul 31, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Filing a false marriage license is illegal, same sex cohabitation, same sex religious marriage or travel to and from a state that licenses same sex marriage isn't. The people of Indiana don't want to change their marriage law to allow government a voluntary gender segregation in marriage.
<quoted text>Lying is bad, same sex marriage is worse.
Gee Brain all this time you kept claiming that if SSM passed ministers could be jailed.

Yet here we have a State that passed the laws you want and guess what. Ministers can go to jail for exercising their religious freedom.

Isn't lying a sin?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 1 hr P_Smith 1
Why the Internet is slowly strangling religion 1 hr P_Smith 1
Siro is writing a new book 2 hr Siro 4
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr ChristineM 231,821
Reza Aslan: Sam Harris and "New Atheists" aren'... 4 hr P_Smith 1
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 5 hr thetruth 862
The Rapture of the Atheists (Nov '09) 5 hr thetruth 7,110

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE