Atheism and homosexuality

Atheism and homosexuality

There are 3861 comments on the Conservapedia story from Dec 5, 2011, titled Atheism and homosexuality. In it, Conservapedia reports that:

Creationist scientists and creationist assert that the theory of evolution cannot account for the origin of gender and sexual reproduction.http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/136http://www.answersingenesis.org/pbs_nova/0928ep5.asp [[Creation Ministries International]] states: "Homosexual acts go against [[God]]'s original [[Intelligent design ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Conservapedia.

“I can never convince the ”

Since: Jan 11

stupid that they are stupid.

#1074 Jul 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>All our laws were proposed because they fit someone's religion; there are laws against theft, murder and perjury just like in the Bible. Legislators may pass laws without lide's secular extremist views.
Stop signs are part of what religious sect? Oh, the Bible says it is so. Is that how you know? Well, then it must be as true as a geocentric Earth.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#1075 Jul 30, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Both are probably warranted.
Just keep in mind that someone drowning will grasp at straws. When fundamentalists are drowning it is the worst. A lot of excrement starts to rise up.
I was just on another thread about atheists, religion and homosexuality. Someone pointed out the way some Bibles are written verses other translation.

I think too many today are lazy when it comes to understanding the Bible. They rely on one version and one translation.

Many don't know that when a new version is begun, one of the first things the scholars do is decide which previous versions to use as a control group.. This is important becuase if they use only certain versions, mistranslations are maintained in the newer versions.

Here is an excellent example: 1 Kings 14:24

Key words from the original greek and other ancient texts are translated very differently.

New International Version
There were even male shrine prostitutes in the land; the people engaged in all the detestable practices of the nations the LORD had driven out before the Israelites.

New Living Translation
There were even male and female shrine prostitutes throughout the land. The people imitated the detestable practices of the pagan nations the LORD had driven from the land ahead of the Israelites.

English Standard Version
and there were also male cult prostitutes in the land. They did according to all the abominations of the nations that the LORD drove out before the people of Israel.

King James Bible
And there were also sodomites in the land: and they did according to all the abominations of the nations which the LORD cast out before the children of Israel.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
there were even male cult prostitutes in the land. They imitated all the detestable practices of the nations the LORD had dispossessed before the Israelites.

Douay-Rheims Bible
There were also the effeminate in the land, and they did according to all the abominations of the people whom the Lord had destroyed before the face of the children of Israel.

Young's Literal Translation
and also a whoremonger hath been in the land; they have done according to all the abominations of the nations that Jehovah dispossessed from the presence of the sons of Israel.

Most believe the original word for sodomite meant homosexual. You can see how that word was translated to sodomite, whormonger, male temple prostitutes, male & female temple prostitutes, or whoremonger. Yet most go for the shock value of the term sodomite to mean homosexual when the phrase actually translates very differently.

Same with the term used for abominations. Some are very specific to translate it to mean pagan practices. Other simply go for the common shock value of abomination.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#1076 Jul 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I don't get to redefine marriage to suit my sexual predilections. If I could do that too, I'd be married to Taylor Swift.
Speaking of definitions and re=defining words and ideas, check this out.

I was just on another thread about atheists, religion and homosexuality. Someone pointed out the way some Bibles are written verses other translations.

I think too many today are lazy when it comes to understanding the Bible. They rely on one version and one translation.

Many don't know that when a new version is begun, one of the first things the scholars do is decide which previous versions to use as a control group... This is important because if they use only certain versions, mistranslations are maintained in the newer versions.

Key words from the original Greek and other ancient texts are translated very differently.

There were even male shrine prostitutes in the land; the people engaged in all the detestable practices of the nations the LORD had driven out before the Israelites.

New Living Translation
There were even male and female shrine prostitutes throughout the land. The people imitated the detestable practices of the pagan nations the LORD had driven from the land ahead of the Israelites.

English Standard Version
And there were also male cult prostitutes in the land. They did according to all the abominations of the nations that the LORD drove out before the people of Israel.

King James Bible
And there were also sodomites in the land: and they did according to all the abominations of the nations which the LORD cast out before the children of Israel.

There were even male cult prostitutes in the land. They imitated all the detestable practices of the nations the LORD had dispossessed before the Israelites.

Douay-Rheims Bible
There were also the effeminate in the land, and they did according to all the abominations of the people whom the Lord had destroyed before the face of the children of Israel.

And also a whoremonger hath been in the land; they have done according to all the abominations of the nations that Jehovah dispossessed from the presence of the sons of Israel.

Most believe the original word for sodomite meant homosexual. You can see how that word was translated to sodomite, wordmonger, male temple prostitutes, male & female temple prostitutes, or whoremonger. Yet most go for the shock value of the term sodomite to mean homosexual when the phrase actually translates very differently.

Same with the term used for abominations. Some are very specific to translate it to mean pagan practices. Other simply go for the common shock value of abomination.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#1077 Jul 30, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I hadn't thought of it that way. So Brian G is confessing that his own sexual preferences orbit around forced matrimony and imply rape. Yes, I would now have to agree with him that would indeed be a redefinition of marriage here, but not necessarily in the more fundamentalists authoritarian parts of the world. Which seems to be how BG wants the US.
Regarding Brian G the Pharisee:
This article is very good IMO and describes the fallacies Brian maintains in his ideas.

The Fundamentalist Agenda By Davidson Loehr
http://www.uuworld.org/2004/01/feature2.html

The Fundamentalist Agenda is absolutely natural, ancient, and powerful—but the liberal impulse makes us humane. The most famous definition of fundamentalism is H. L. Mencken's: a terrible, pervasive fear that someone, somewhere, is having fun. There's something to this. Fundamentalism is too fearful, too restrictive, too lacking in faith to provide a home for the human spirit to soar or for human societies to blossom....

From 1988 to 1993, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences sponsored an interdisciplinary study known as The Fundamentalism Project, the largest such study ever done. More than 100 scholars from all over the world took part, reporting on every imaginable kind of fundamentalism. And what they discovered was that the agenda of all fundamentalist movements in the world is virtually identical, regardless of religion or culture.

They identified five characteristics shared by virtually all fundamentalisms. The fundamentalists' agenda starts with insistence that their rules must be made to apply to all people, and to all areas of life. There can be no separation of church and state, or of public and private areas of life. The rigid rules of God—and they never doubt that they and only they have got these right—must become the law of the land...In Khomeini's Iran, and in the recent Taliban rule of Afghanistan, we saw how brutal and bloody this looks in real time.

The second agenda item is really at the top of the list, and it's vulgarly simple: Men are on top....

A third item follows from the others.(Indeed each part of the fundamentalist agenda is necessarily interlocked, and needs every other part to survive.) Since there is only one right picture of the world, one right set of beliefs, and one right set of roles for men, women, and children, it is imperative that this picture and these rules be communicated precisely to the next generation...

Fourth, fundamentalists spurn the modern, and want to return to a nostalgic vision of a golden age that never really existed. Several of the scholars observed a strong and deep resemblance between fundamentalism and fascism....

One scholar suggested that it's helpful to understand fundamentalism as religious fascism, and fascism as political fundamentalism. The phrase “overcoming the modern” is a fascist slogan dating back to at least 1941.

The fifth point is the most abstract, though it's foundational. Fundamentalists deny history in a radical and idiosyncratic way. Fundamentalists know as well or better than anybody that culture shapes everything it touches: The times we live in color how we think, what we value, and the kind of people we become. Fundamentalists agree on the perverseness of modern American society: the air of permissiveness and narcissism, individual rights unbalanced by responsibilities, sex divorced from commitment, and so on. What they don't want to see is the way culture colored the era when their scriptures were created.

Good biblical scholarship begins by studying the cultural situation when scriptures were written in search of their original intent, so that we can better discern what messages they may still have that are relevant for our lives. But if fundamentalists were to admit that their own scriptures are as culturally conditioned as everything else, they would lose the foundation of their certainties.

Since: Jul 13

Lisbon, Portugal

#1079 Jul 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
The issue is rewriting marriage law to define two men or two women as married; just as the issue would be Sharia if Muslims rewrote our marriage laws. Keep marriage as is, because NOBODY on this thread wants to practice Sharia.
Facepalm!

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#1080 Jul 30, 2013
Think about it wrote:
<quoted text>
You are comparing God's laws to man's laws. God set his laws for us to follow for us to live without hate, jealously, murder basically to live in peace among other men. Man made up more laws not only to control man but to financially profit from them as much as anything.
We live in America where no one is subject to "God's law".

Can you name a single Federal law which bans Hindu Marriage?

Certainly Hindus are a much greater offense to God than homosexuals.
Think about it

West Plains, MO

#1081 Jul 30, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
We live in America where no one is subject to "God's law".
Can you name a single Federal law which bans Hindu Marriage?
Certainly Hindus are a much greater offense to God than homosexuals.
Thou shall not kill is God's law and you and I along with everyone else is subject to it.

Valley Village, CA

#1082 Jul 30, 2013
Think about it wrote:
<quoted text>
Thou shall not kill is God's law and you and I along with everyone else is subject to it.
Thou shall not kill is Hammurabi's law and you and I along with everyone else is subject to it.

Thou shall not build a house which collapses upon its occupant is ALSO Hammurabi's law, and you and I along with everyone else is subject to it.

In fact, for ever ONE law of "God's" that you find, I'll give you TWO laws from Hammurabi.

Fair?
Think about it

West Plains, MO

#1083 Jul 30, 2013
What law of Hammurabi's is thou shall not kill?

Since: Jul 13

Lisbon, Portugal

#1084 Jul 30, 2013
Think about it wrote:
<quoted text>
Not always the case. The death penalty is an exception to that human law. The god of the bible also commanded men to kill other men. Many exceptions.
Think about it

West Plains, MO

#1085 Jul 30, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Thou shall not kill is Hammurabi's law and you and I along with everyone else is subject to it.
Thou shall not build a house which collapses upon its occupant is ALSO Hammurabi's law, and you and I along with everyone else is subject to it.
In fact, for ever ONE law of "God's" that you find, I'll give you TWO laws from Hammurabi.
Fair?
Oh and by the way, God has the 10 commandments where as Hammurabi has 282 laws.

Valley Village, CA

#1087 Jul 30, 2013
Think about it wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh and by the way, God has the 10 commandments where as Hammurabi has 282 laws.
Yes, and MOST of the 282 laws ARE laws in our society as well (though we carry different punishments)

Whereas, it is not illegal in the US to be Hindu, which violates 2 of the MOST SACRED commandments.

Only those commandments which overlap with Hammurabi are also laws in our society, meaning that "God's law" accidentally covers areas that both we and Hammurabi think are important, however everyone agrees that the other commandments are not important at all.

Even YOU.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1090 Jul 30, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
It's funny that adultery is prosecuted under military law while rape is permitted.
Even if I were to accept that a single law in Mass is somehow magically a Federal Law (not how that works by the way), then that would bring the sum total of "Christian laws" to 4 out of 10 Commandments.
If our legal system is based ENTIRELY ON CHRISTIANITY, then "Coveting" would be a crime. In fact, it would be MORE SEVERE a crime than murder, since there are TWO commandments against it.
No, our legal system was created DESPITE Christianity, not because of it.
Oh, and by the way in Mass, it's illegal for women to be on top during sex.
Yes-- the fiction that the US is "based on christian values" is so ludicrous as to be amusing.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1091 Jul 30, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I was just on another thread about atheists, religion and homosexuality. Someone pointed out the way some Bibles are written verses other translation.
Many don't know that when a new version is begun, one of the first things the scholars do is decide which previous versions to use as a control group.. This is important becuase if they use only certain versions, mistranslations are maintained in the newer versions.
Key words from the original greek and other ancient texts are translated very differently.
New Living Translation
English Standard Version
and there were also male cult prostitutes in the land. They did according to all the abominations of the nations that the LORD drove out before the people of Israel.
King James Bible
there were even male cult prostitutes in the land. They imitated all the detestable practices of the nations the LORD had dispossessed before the Israelites.
Douay-Rheims Bible
and also a whoremonger hath been in the land; they have done according to all the abominations of the nations that Jehovah dispossessed from the presence of the sons of Israel.
Most believe the original word for sodomite meant homosexual. You can see how that word was translated to sodomite, whormonger, male temple prostitutes, male & female temple prostitutes, or whoremonger. Yet most go for the shock value of the term sodomite to mean homosexual when the phrase actually translates very differently.
Their bias and bigotry is strong.

What else is new?

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#1092 Jul 30, 2013
Think about it wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice dodge. Thing is that isn't the exclusive idea of Christians. Most other major religions advocate not committing murder.

In fact the idea didn't even come from a religious idea but the code of Hammurabi and laws even earlier.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1093 Jul 30, 2013
Think about it wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet-- according to your ugly bible, you are **commanded** to murder your neighbor, if he's doing work on a Saturday (sabbath).

And you are also commanded to murder your kids, if they back-talk to you in any way.

And you are also commanded to murder anyone who is unfaithful; many of you Genuine Christians™ are-- as you represent the single largest group of divorced couples in the US.

In fact? There are **hundreds** of commands for you to **murder** in your ugly bible.

So much for "thou shalt not kill" ... that was only mentioned once-- but the command to KILL is mentioned HUNDREDS of times...!

Hmmmmm....

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#1094 Jul 30, 2013
Think about it wrote:
What law of Hammurabi's is thou shall not kill?
code of hammurabi
https://www.google.com/search...

The Code of Hammurabi
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/subject_menus/hamm...

Babylonian Law--The Code of Hammurabi. Introduction
Charles F. Horne, Ph.D. 1915
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/ancient/hammpre.as...

The Code of Hammurabi Translated by L. W. King
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/ancient/hamframe.a...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1095 Jul 30, 2013
The AssTroll Stopper wrote:
Are Queers born Stupid, or do they have to work at it daily?
I do not know-- tell us, do **you** work at it daily?

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#1096 Jul 30, 2013
CH2O2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not always the case. The death penalty is an exception to that human law. The god of the bible also commanded men to kill other men. Many exceptions.
There is a definite distinction between murder and the act of taking a life in war. I don't really agree with it but for the most part the rest of the world does and always has.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1098 Jul 30, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>There is a definite distinction between murder and the act of taking a life in war. I don't really agree with it but for the most part the rest of the world does and always has.
That's true enough.

But the bible has far more commands **to** murder a bible-law-breaker than it has against it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 6 min -Stray Dog 247,522
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 42 min Thinking 12,794
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 2 hr Thinking 47,832
Hitler was Catholic 6 hr Thinking 3
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... 6 hr serfs up 14
Proof of God for the Atheist 6 hr thetruth 129
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 8 hr Thinking 25
More from around the web