Atheism and homosexuality

Atheism and homosexuality

There are 3861 comments on the Conservapedia story from Dec 5, 2011, titled Atheism and homosexuality. In it, Conservapedia reports that:

Creationist scientists and creationist assert that the theory of evolution cannot account for the origin of gender and sexual reproduction.http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/136http://www.answersingenesis.org/pbs_nova/0928ep5.asp [[Creation Ministries International]] states: "Homosexual acts go against [[God]]'s original [[Intelligent design ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Conservapedia.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#1052 Jul 30, 2013
lides wrote:
Liar. 35 states still have implemented gay marriage bans, that is not to say that those bans are constitutional.[] Why do you lie about things that can so easily be prove to be false?...
No state band gays from marrying, not a single one. No state prohibits same sex cohabitation, same sex religious marriage or social organizations where you request friends, family and acquaintances to treat you as if married.

Polygamy is banned by federal law, America has no similar criminalization of same sex marriage.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#1054 Jul 30, 2013
lides wrote:
Brian, legislators may not pass laws respecting an establishment of religion. You are, actually endorsing the same view as sharia law. If you were any smarter, you wouldn't bring it up, because when you do you look like an idiot.
All our laws were proposed because they fit someone's religion; there are laws against theft, murder and perjury just like in the Bible. Legislators may pass laws without lide's secular extremist views.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#1055 Jul 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>No state band gays from marrying, not a single one. No state prohibits same sex cohabitation, same sex religious marriage or social organizations where you request friends, family and acquaintances to treat you as if married.
Polygamy is banned by federal law, America has no similar criminalization of same sex marriage.
Fifty years ago there were laws prohibiting interracial marriage.

You would have said back then (using the same rationale) that "No state band Blacks from marrying, not a single one."

Fortunately, we have matured as a democracy.
With the inevitable passage of gay marriage in the US, we will have again matured.

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#1056 Jul 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
No state band gays from marrying, not a single one.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/ ...
Brian 35 states have some restriction against same sex marriage.

Thus far you have lacked the grey matter to offer any justification for such restrictions that would render them constitutional.
Brian_G wrote:
No state prohibits same sex cohabitation, same sex religious marriage or social organizations where you request friends, family and acquaintances to treat you as if married.
Of course, none of those secure equal protection under the law to marry. Ergo, homosexuals do not have equal protection under the law.
Brian_G wrote:
And you point is what, exactly?

Oh, and please point out the federal law in question. You so seldom provide proof of your various claims.

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#1057 Jul 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
All our laws were proposed because they fit someone's religion; there are laws against theft, murder and perjury just like in the Bible. Legislators may pass laws without lide's secular extremist views.
Brian, laws against theft, murder, and perjury are not unique to any one religion, nor do they rise to the level of respecting as establishment of religion.

Trying someone for murder, for example, is not sharia law (I know how much you like to bring up that irrelevant tidbit, even though you seem to lack the understanding that it would bring about the result you desire. It's so funny to watch you attempt to inflame debate only to throw yourself under the bus).

You have yet to come up with any legitimate reason to deny same sex individuals equal protection of the law to marry one another.

Brian, go and grow up. This is going to come to pass, and you are on the wrong side of history.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#1058 Jul 30, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm hot! So very, very hot here in Tokyo!
But I would love some beer and sciency talk :) or merlot if you can get me out of this damn place.
How're you doing?
It's been rather chilly the last few days around here. The prediction is that it will get up to 25 Celsius (converted for you) today.

I can't do the beer any longer: makes my gout act up...very bad.

Other than that, I am teaching this summer (topology) and generally hanging out.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#1059 Jul 30, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's been rather chilly the last few days around here. The prediction is that it will get up to 25 Celsius (converted for you) today.
I can't do the beer any longer: makes my gout act up...very bad.
Other than that, I am teaching this summer (topology) and generally hanging out.
Hey Poly! Glad you're back!

Could have used your expertise on some issues a while back!

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#1060 Jul 30, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Poly! Glad you're back!
Could have used your expertise on some issues a while back!
Just drop me a message when you need me!
Amused

Oxford, MA

#1061 Jul 30, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar. 35 states still have implemented gay marriage bans, that is not to say that those bans are constitutional. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/...
Why do you lie about things that can so easily be prove to be false?
Brian's point, such as it is, is that gay people are free to marry people of the opposite sex to the same extent straight people are. That is true, but irrelevant. Fish are also not prohibited from owning bicycles. They simply see no utility to doing so. This is his idea of "equality". He seems incapable of understanding that the 'right' to marry people one is not attracted to is not the same as the right straight folks have to marry people they actually love.

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#1063 Jul 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
It's not just the Christian religion that reflect marriage as male/female; every major religion does the same. Every holy text, from every one of the world's religions, describe marriage as male/female, if they mention marriage at all. I'm not advocating Sharia law; I'm advocating natural law.
First of all, there are PLENTY of examples of same sex attraction in nature.

Second, there are PLENTY of cultures who have different forms of marriage from what you and Sharia law advocate.

Third, most major religions advocated human and animal sacrifice. we've abandoned that because religions are wrong.

Fourth, even if you were 100% right that ALL religions in the world banned gay marriage, that STILL would not be a valid argument in America. We have Freedom. You are arguing for Sharia law.

Valley Village, CA

#1064 Jul 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>All our laws were proposed because they fit someone's religion; there are laws against theft, murder and perjury just like in the Bible.
10 Commandments

3 of them (Don't kill, don't steal, don't lie) are COMMON to all societies with codified laws from ancient Egypt to Hammurabi to China, to the Iriquois. That's because you can't build a society without these three laws.

Here are the other 7. Let's see if we have laws in our culture that obey these:

- Practice ONLY Judaism. Nope.
- Do exactly what your parents say. Nope.
- Don't work on Saturday. Nope.
- Don't worship at a church with a carving. Nope.
- Don't want someone's things. Nope.
- Don't want someone's wife. Nope.
- Don't have sex out of marriage. Valid reason for divorce, NOT against the law.

If our laws were based on Christianity, then you would expect at least HALF of the Commandments to be laws.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#1065 Jul 30, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, ok, calm down. backing away, backing away, backing away...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375063/...
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#1066 Jul 30, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Hiding! How you been doing? I see you are having some fun in the atheism forum.*smiles*
How about some Merlot and some Sciency talk?
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/3473574912/h7DAF...
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#1067 Jul 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I don't get to redefine marriage to suit my sexual predilections. If I could do that too, I'd be married to Taylor Swift.
Right, and we know who'd be doing the dumping in THAT situation...
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#1068 Jul 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
It's not just the Christian religion that reflect marriage as male/female; every major religion does the same. Every holy text, from every one of the world's religions, describe marriage as male/female, if they mention marriage at all. I'm not advocating Sharia law; I'm advocating natural law.
No you're not. There's no such thing as natural law, since all laws are are just invented imaginary ideals of how we think things should be. In the case of science laws are supposed to match reality. In the case of culture it's PURELY arbitrary. Therefore you are arbitrarily restricting the rights of others despite the fact that homosexuality is observed in nature.

How ironic that you are exactly like the Sharia law promoters you pretend to hate.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1069 Jul 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I don't get to redefine marriage to suit my sexual predilections. If I could do that too, I'd be married to Taylor Swift.
As if she'd even **look** at one such as you-- let alone permit herself to be in the same room...
Amused

Oxford, MA

#1070 Jul 30, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
10 Commandments
3 of them (Don't kill, don't steal, don't lie) are COMMON to all societies with codified laws from ancient Egypt to Hammurabi to China, to the Iriquois. That's because you can't build a society without these three laws.
Here are the other 7. Let's see if we have laws in our culture that obey these:
- Don't have sex out of marriage. Valid reason for divorce, NOT against the law.
If our laws were based on Christianity, then you would expect at least HALF of the Commandments to be laws.
Actually, Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 272 Section 14 provides: A married person who has sexual intercourse with a person not his spouse or an unmarried person who has sexual intercourse with a married person shall be guilty of adultery and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than three years or in jail for not more than two years or by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars.

The constitutionality of this statute was upheld in 1983 in Commonwealth v. Stowell, 389 Mass. 181. That decision, in turn, has been cited as authority in numerous subsequent appellate cases in Mass., including the Goodridge decision which legalized gay marriage.

It is also an offense under the Uniform Code of Military Justice, and apparently is prosecuted at least on occasion in courts martial, sometimes as adultery, per se, and sometimes under the section for "conduct unbecoming".

Valley Village, CA

#1071 Jul 30, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 272 Section 14 provides: A married person who has sexual intercourse with a person not his spouse or an unmarried person who has sexual intercourse with a married person shall be guilty of adultery and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than three years or in jail for not more than two years or by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars.
The constitutionality of this statute was upheld in 1983 in Commonwealth v. Stowell, 389 Mass. 181. That decision, in turn, has been cited as authority in numerous subsequent appellate cases in Mass., including the Goodridge decision which legalized gay marriage.
It is also an offense under the Uniform Code of Military Justice, and apparently is prosecuted at least on occasion in courts martial, sometimes as adultery, per se, and sometimes under the section for "conduct unbecoming".
It's funny that adultery is prosecuted under military law while rape is permitted.

Even if I were to accept that a single law in Mass is somehow magically a Federal Law (not how that works by the way), then that would bring the sum total of "Christian laws" to 4 out of 10 Commandments.

If our legal system is based ENTIRELY ON CHRISTIANITY, then "Coveting" would be a crime. In fact, it would be MORE SEVERE a crime than murder, since there are TWO commandments against it.

No, our legal system was created DESPITE Christianity, not because of it.

Oh, and by the way in Mass, it's illegal for women to be on top during sex.
Think about it

West Plains, MO

#1072 Jul 30, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
It's funny that adultery is prosecuted under military law while rape is permitted.
Even if I were to accept that a single law in Mass is somehow magically a Federal Law (not how that works by the way), then that would bring the sum total of "Christian laws" to 4 out of 10 Commandments.
If our legal system is based ENTIRELY ON CHRISTIANITY, then "Coveting" would be a crime. In fact, it would be MORE SEVERE a crime than murder, since there are TWO commandments against it.
No, our legal system was created DESPITE Christianity, not because of it.
Oh, and by the way in Mass, it's illegal for women to be on top during sex.
You are comparing God's laws to man's laws. God set his laws for us to follow for us to live without hate, jealously, murder basically to live in peace among other men. Man made up more laws not only to control man but to financially profit from them as much as anything.

“I can never convince the ”

Since: Jan 11

stupid that they are stupid.

#1073 Jul 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>No state band gays from marrying, not a single one. No state prohibits same sex cohabitation, same sex religious marriage or social organizations where you request friends, family and acquaintances to treat you as if married.
Actually, I believe it is just bigamy. Polygamy would constitute multiple charges of bygamy. Again, supported by fundamentalists that want eveyone to be heterosexual, but not too hetersexual.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 36 min Paul Porter1 20,572
Atheists and the "Moses Syndrome" 1 hr Anonymous1386 11
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr Gary Coaldigger 10,738
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Uncle Sam 244,820
Atheists should stop feeding the stereotypes 11 hr Shizle 15
Santa vs. God: logic? Wed Shizle 2
Is the Christian god good? Wed Shizle 4
More from around the web