Atheism and homosexuality

Dec 5, 2011 Full story: Conservapedia 3,862

Creationist scientists and creationist assert that the theory of evolution cannot account for the origin of gender and sexual reproduction.http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/136http://www.answersingenesis.org/pbs_nova/0928ep5.asp [[Creation Ministries International]] states: "Homosexual acts go against [[God]]'s original [[Intelligent design ... (more)

Full Story

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#969 Jul 28, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>That pretty much sums up his position in my opinion. BG always lands on money and his fear that somehow he is footing the bill for the entire world. Fundamentalists have switched from the worship of God to that of the Bible and money. These issues trample all over his religious beliefs. Against a contradictory anthology of allegories and may cost him money.
Gay couples may even strengthen the institution of marriage. Look at the commitment expressed just to be allowed to exercise their own rights under fire from the opposition to do so.
Allowing gays to marry increases the economy in several ways, but I just became too lazy to list them. Here is the regular google search:

https://www.google.co.jp/search...

and google scholar:

http://scholar.google.co.jp/scholar...

BG is spouting a definition of marriage that defends heterosexual couples by defining what is and isn't 'normal' and 'moral.' B/c heterosexual couples are in the majority, they have to define themselves via some other - and that other is 'the gay couple,' a straw man, fictional, heterosexually idealized gay couple.

By restricting the rights of homosexuals, they help shape what is and is not 'normal' in society. This binary us vrs them construction gives them a "who we are" for they no longer have to look in the mirror but can say "I'm not like that!"

So they carve out their normal at the expense of the minority. And this is why they must, at all costs, defend their forced restriction of rights on other people.

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#970 Jul 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>We can discuss entitlement reform if you like, then let's compromise on civil unions; everybody's happy.
Sure. No homosexual marriage. No straight marriage. Abolish all existing marriages, and issue _EVERYONE_ a civil union.

That's a perfect compromise.
The issue isn't emotion, like and dislike; the issue is the greater good. Same sex marriage forces government to see husband and wife as if unisex, affecting all of society. Same sex marriage laws affect divorce, property and child custody laws; it's a fundamental change to the sex integration and affirmative action male/female marriage provides society.
The same can be said about interracial marriage, interfaith marriage, slavery, women being allowed to vote, desegregation, etc.

It's not a sufficient argument to say: "This will change the way things are".

You must prove that it will _in all cases_ make things _significantly worse_ for everyone. Otherwise, you don't have an argument.
Same sex marriage law affected , Barronelle Stutzman of Arlene’s Flowers, in Richland, Washington when she was sued by the State's AG. Same sex marriage supporters in the IRS leaked the National Organization for Marriage's 2008 Schedule B donors list to their political enemies, the HRC.
How does same sex marriage not affect everyone?
You've given too examples in which people who were fighting against equality were exposed.

That doesn't affect everyone. Just those who fight against equality.

Would you say that we should revoke the 2nd amendment because the NRA regularly lists those politicians which support gun control?

Would you say we should do away with equal rights because employers who refuse to hire African Americans are sued?
Changing the nomenclature doesn't create wealth. You can call something a 'marriage' but that doesn't make it so.
Of course it does.

"Marriage" is the name of a license issued by the state. If that license is issued, it's a marriage.

You might not like it, but your opinion does not matter. At all.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#971 Jul 28, 2013
Same sex marriage is taboo.

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#972 Jul 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Same sex marriage laws affect everyone, not just me. In Massachusetts, D.C. and Illinois, laws addressing the same agenda as same sex marriage have forced Catholic Charities out of the adoption service market. In Washington state and Colorado, those laws have led to suits against business people who don't want to provide services for same sex weddings. It creates wasteful government spending on a new class of same sex dependent beneficiaries, new intrusive government regulations and higher taxes for everyone.
THAT IS A LIE and you know it. The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops closed those services because if they took government money they had to follow the government rules on spending it.

Don't ever DARE get on my case again about being honest.

The suits in WA and CO didn't even happen as you want people to believe. It was their own actions not that of any gays and lesbians. The STATE charged them, yet you keep trying to insinuate they were sued. THEY WERE NOT SUED! They were charged with breaking the law just like any other criminal.

Higher Taxes? Defending a law that has already been ruled unconstitutional will surely deplete the States revenue and then the only recourse they have is to raise taxes. It has also been PROVEN that those states that have passed marriage equity are gaining millions in tourist revenues, licensing fees etc. while the anti-gay states have top fire police because of their lousy budgeting and bigotry.

Your lies make a huge pile here boy!
Yes I admitted I was mistaken you were divorced. Yet I don't see you manning up to your own lies!

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#973 Jul 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Only to homophobes. I just caught your pack of lies from another post.

You have no honesty.

But I'll give you another chance.

Six Things Straight People Should Stop Saying about Gay People

A kind woman, who would never intentionally offend another person, writes:“I love gay people, I just cannot support their gay lifestyle.”

A pastor stands holding an electric cord as a prop and warns the congregation,“Don’t mess with God’s original design. Gay sex is not natural, the parts don’t fit.”

A man thinks he needs to “protect” his family from his Christian gay brother. He says to his brother,“Homosexuality is a perversion and, until you change, I cannot allow you in my home with my children.”

Parents send their lesbian daughter to a program that they heard about at church. The visiting speaker says he is no longer gay. The encouraged parents say,“We want what is best for our daughter and we know she can change her preferences.”

About their fellow Americans, some will say:“I don’t mind gay people having civil unions, I just do not want to redefine marriage. Marriage is not a civil right and they want special rights.”

Thinking they are pleasing and even defending God, moderate Christians assert:“I’m fine with gay people getting together, it’s God and the Bible that are clearly against homosexuality. We love gay people and need to tell them the truth.”

http://canyonwalkerconnections.com/six-things...

If you are a Bible believer and still anit-gay I suggest you start checking the Bible for a get out of Hell free card when it comes to how you live Matt.25:31-46

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#974 Jul 28, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
... marriage is defined by one or more of these six cateogries:
1. Establishes (Est.) the legal father of a woman’s children and the legal mother of a man’s...
^^^By this definition, there is no same sex marriage.

Hidingfromyou wrote:
Worldwide, cultures allow for the marriage of same sex couples in all kinds of different situations ....
There's no copy of any pre21st century same sex marriage law in any nation or state.

Valley Village, CA

#975 Jul 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
So was/is interacial marriage.
So was/is eating raw fish
So was/is "fast dancing" like Elvis did.

Something being taboo is not only not a reason to proclude it, it's actually a reason to bring it out of the shadows and dispell the taboo

Valley Village, CA

#976 Jul 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>^^^By this definition, there is no same sex marriage.
Meaningless, as there are PLENTY of women today who have children outside of marriage and/or from donors they don't even know.
<quoted text>There's no copy of any pre21st century same sex marriage law in any nation or state.
LOL!

Try again.

“River of tears flowing out of ”

Since: Jan 11

West Plains

#977 Jul 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
That's an hilarious response. So is love of money if I am not mistaken.

West Plains

#978 Jul 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>^^^By this definition, there is no same sex marriage.
<quoted text>There's no copy of any pre21st century same sex marriage law in any nation or state.
There isn't anything in the Constitution of the United States about marriage at all. Perhaps the founders figured if two people wanted to be married to each other they didn't think the government should interfere. There you go Brian. You get an answer that applies equally to all and a reduction in government all built in. Your wallet gods can rest easy and you can open up a boutique and make a killing selling same sex marriage apparel to offset that alleged economic impact you have posited.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#979 Jul 28, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Copying to Word was my backup until I switched to Google Chrome. It was shortly after switching from Explorer that I realized how unstable it is compared to Chrome. Since then I haven't seen a similar problem except once when a post I was proofing posted while I was making changes. That could have been operator error since I had entered the captcha numbers in prior to proofing.
Anyway it has been much better since switching. Plus it doesn't lock up like IE did.
I'm still stuck on Fire Fox-- after I figured out how to disable their latest "gesture-mode" and put back the classic menus I was used to.

It allows me to hit "back" if a post goes all wonky-- usually.

Now, if only Topix would give us 5 minutes to **edit** our posts, before locking them down....!

That would be the bomb!

:D

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#980 Jul 28, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
So, theoretically, you could marry all the women in the world, couldn't you?
As long as you marry them one at a time, it's legal, right?
His problem would then be, 90% of the women of the world would unlikely be willing to suffer his presence, long enough to get married...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#981 Jul 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Same sex marriage laws affect everyone, not just me.
How, exactly? This ought to be amusing for a laugh...
Brian_G wrote:
In Massachusetts, D.C. and Illinois, laws addressing the same agenda as same sex marriage have forced Catholic Charities out of the adoption service market.
This is a **good** thing-- Catholics priests have **no** business being around young children unsupervised anyhow.

But that **still** does not affect 99% of the population.

Fail.
Brian_G wrote:
In Washington state and Colorado, those laws have led to suits against business people who don't want to provide services for same sex weddings.
Again? Good. They are not allowed to **discriminate**. This is progress.

Discrimination is evil. Period.

But once again? Doesn't affect 98% of the population.
Brian_G wrote:
It creates wasteful government spending on a new class of same sex dependent beneficiaries, new intrusive government regulations and higher taxes for everyone.
Your final non-argument? Is 100% bullshit.

Seriously-- what you just said is 100% bullshit, bar-none.

Fail and fail and FAIL.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#982 Jul 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>We can discuss entitlement reform if you like, then let's compromise on civil unions; everybody's happy.
That is so not going to FLY.

Your "argument" is the EXACT ARGUMENT used to enforce Jim Crowe laws: "separate but equal".

And we all remember how well THAT worked-- or, rather how it did NOT.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#983 Jul 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
According to???

YOU?

Who died and made YOU the Supreme Decider?

West Plains

#984 Jul 28, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm still stuck on Fire Fox-- after I figured out how to disable their latest "gesture-mode" and put back the classic menus I was used to.
It allows me to hit "back" if a post goes all wonky-- usually.
Now, if only Topix would give us 5 minutes to **edit** our posts, before locking them down....!
That would be the bomb!
:D
I hear you. Especially when you are on a roll in a flurry of posting. Even with my efforts at proofreading I miss things in need of edit.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#985 Jul 28, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I hear you. Especially when you are on a roll in a flurry of posting. Even with my efforts at proofreading I miss things in need of edit.
I'm thinking of centralizing all my webstuff to Chrome, though.

I have a new Android phone (Samsung galaxy 3), and an Android tablet (Asus), both of which use Chrome.

I've had Chrome on my PC for several years, but seldom use it.

Call it tradition... I switched from IE back in 1998-ish to Netscape, and later Mozilla which spun off Firefox.

I **only** use IE for when I need/want something from Micro$oft...

... <heh>
Thinking

UK

#986 Jul 28, 2013
I keep downloading Moz just to give a non-affiliated a chance... I love my Macs but I'm not dumb enough to think that Apple are philanthropists.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm thinking of centralizing all my webstuff to Chrome, though.
I have a new Android phone (Samsung galaxy 3), and an Android tablet (Asus), both of which use Chrome.
I've had Chrome on my PC for several years, but seldom use it.
Call it tradition... I switched from IE back in 1998-ish to Netscape, and later Mozilla which spun off Firefox.
I **only** use IE for when I need/want something from Micro$oft...
... <heh>
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#987 Jul 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
How does same sex marriage not affect everyone?
How does abolition of slavery not affect everyone?

It does.

Tough.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#988 Jul 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
To you. So don't do it. Doesn't mean no-one else can.

Good to know you haven't got a rational argument though.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 9 min Dave Nelson 230,854
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr _Bad Company 1,103
Former Atheist Academic Who Rejected God and Be... 5 hr Truth 73
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 9 hr fadu singh 23,038
Evidence for God! 12 hr Uncle Sam 36
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 14 hr Dally Mama 5,583
Atheist accused of leaving insulting religious ... (Mar '10) 16 hr thetruth 37

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE