Atheism and homosexuality

Atheism and homosexuality

There are 3861 comments on the Conservapedia story from Dec 5, 2011, titled Atheism and homosexuality. In it, Conservapedia reports that:

Creationist scientists and creationist assert that the theory of evolution cannot account for the origin of gender and sexual reproduction.http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/136http://www.answersingenesis.org/pbs_nova/0928ep5.asp [[Creation Ministries International]] states: "Homosexual acts go against [[God]]'s original [[Intelligent design ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Conservapedia.

Since: Sep 07

Los Angeles, CA

#807 Jul 24, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, it's not that big.
Also, and I know you have reading problems (see below) and misrepresentation problems (above and below), you'll note the pillows aren't sex toys. They're just images for anime fans.
<quoted text>
I never claimed it was normal. If you need to lie about my words, you don't have an argument.
That's funny, because you've been misrepresenting my argument as well.

And, no the pillows are not just "images for anime fans". Those are called posters.

You don't see any Japanese guys doing this with posters:
http://www.the-two-malcontents.com/wp-content...

or this:
http://outsiderjapan.pbworks.com/f/dirtypillo...
Note she has breasts, not images of breasts, actual protruding lumps.

What about this:
http://www.menpillow.com/image/cache/data/pro...
What do you think is under the censor marks? Does that look like an adult woman? Is that just something for an anime fan?

Oh, and on the subject of Japanese penis obsession...
http://outsiderjapan.pbworks.com/w/page/24381...

Go ahead and explain that this is just "one guy in one store".

Los Angeles, CA

#808 Jul 24, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
He also seems to enjoy misrepresenting people's writing - in quotes - to the point of lying.
Hillarious that you would make this complaint to skippy who LITERALLY changes the words in a quote box to ACTUALLY assign a false statement so someone else.

I use "quotes" to express the sentiment of an argument and I use
to express actual quotes

Los Angeles, CA

#809 Jul 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:
How do you think 1945 Japanese people would have reacted to losing their living god? My parents were led to believe there may have been terrible unrest and suicides.
Tough titties, really.

Half the reason we had to use the bomb was because the Japanese were living in their own fantasy world.

Yes, when you tear down the walls of fantasy, it causes great disruption. Good! It's supposed to.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#810 Jul 24, 2013
Demonstrating humanity does not automatically make one weak.
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Tough titties, really.
Half the reason we had to use the bomb was because the Japanese were living in their own fantasy world.
Yes, when you tear down the walls of fantasy, it causes great disruption. Good! It's supposed to.

Los Angeles, CA

#811 Jul 24, 2013
CH2O2 wrote:
Belief without evidence is silly and irrational. Would you not agree?
You're claiming that there is a common practice of male homosexuality in college which is abandoned when returning to the real world on par with the "LUG" phenomena among girls in college?

Great. Let's see you evidence.

Or are you being silly and irrational?
I don't know what that means.
You don't know what "Lesbian Until Graduation" means? Which of these words is confusing you?
What about bisexuals?
Among which group?
How do you know? Even researchers in this field wont make this claim. Why do you? I've also asked this before but you did not answer.
Sigh. I had assumed you were familiar with genetics.

Okay, let's do this.

There are these things called "genes" which are present in both the mommy and the daddy.

When a baby is made (go ask your parents how), that baby gets either a gene from the mommy or the daddy. Sometimes they get mommy's eyes or daddy's nose.

If there is a gene controlling the mother's immuno-response to repeat male children, then that gene is present in the mother and therefore has only a 50% chance of being passed along to the child.

Therefore, only roughly half of gay males would carry this gene.

Also, half the straight children from the same mother would carry this gene.

Making this gene utterly useless for determining homosexuality in an individual and something which is being passed "down the gay line" to future generations.
Totaly false. Genetic material codes hormones. Hormones govern sexuality. Thus, genetic material governs sexuality.
Wrong. A gay man and a straight man can have the exact same level of hormones and have different attractions.

The amount of testosterone is not the determining factor in sexual preference (apart from a severe lack possibly leading to a null choice).
I agree. Just like I said, and you argued against in the beggining of our discussion, sexuality (and homosexuality) does have a genetic component which can be regulated by natural selection. Am I correct to understand you now seem to agree with me and dismiss your inicial claim?
Sigh. I'll go slow, see if you can keep up.

Humans have a host of features which are present which have been neither selected for nor against by natural selection.

These could be things which are cultural constructs. These could be things which are irrelevant one way or the other. These could be things which are side effects of other features. These could be things which have been exempted by advances.

There was a time in which how and when you wisdom teeth came in was a significant factor in survival. It's not any more.

Any genetic component to homosexuality is so blurred by the happenstance needed and by the fact that it is present in the mother, not the subject, that selection is rendered moot.
If homosexuality does have a genetic component it's expression can be artificially regulated.
But not in the homosexual individual. You can not "cure" homosexuality through genetics, prayer, psychology, homeopathy or anything else.

Los Angeles, CA

#812 Jul 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Demonstrating humanity does not automatically make one weak.
<quoted text>
There's a difference between demonstrating humanity and allowing harmful thinking to continue unchallenged.

How many thousands of people in the UK have died because they were "treated" at homeopathic hospitals instead of real facilities?
Thinking

Royston, UK

#813 Jul 24, 2013
I understand that difference. Do you?
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a difference between demonstrating humanity and allowing harmful thinking to continue unchallenged.
How many thousands of people in the UK have died because they were "treated" at homeopathic hospitals instead of real facilities?

Los Angeles, CA

#814 Jul 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I understand that difference. Do you?
<quoted text>
Do you feel it was inappropriate for the US to use the bomb to end World War II?
Thinking

Royston, UK

#815 Jul 24, 2013
No. But I don't revel in it either with terms like "tough titties".
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you feel it was inappropriate for the US to use the bomb to end World War II?

Los Angeles, CA

#816 Jul 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:
No. But I don't revel in it either with terms like "tough titties".
<quoted text>
"Tough titties" is referring to the fact that a culture doesn't get to keep it's belief system just because it wants to. If that belief system led to your country starting a war, the psychological effect of having it stripped away should not be a factor.

We don't want to preserve the Al Queda belief in virgins for martyrs just because it would be unkind of us to take that away from them.

Whether or not the Japanese would have been upset that we removed their emperor should not have been a factor in the decision making.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#817 Jul 24, 2013
I see evidence to the contrary.
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
"Tough titties" is referring to the fact that a culture doesn't get to keep it's belief system just because it wants to.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#818 Jul 24, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see a real problem with that-- McArthur was far from perfect.
I would have hated to see things going entirely his way, anyhow.
Totally - that's a good point. There's a movie about it now! I wonder how it's going to portray the situation.

Some stable somewhere

#819 Jul 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Thanks for the insight. With 20 20 hindsight, it's usually best to apologise sooner. But it rarely works out that way.
<quoted text>
And thanks for your comments and insights - I wasn't aware of how the situation was portrayed in America.

Some stable somewhere

#820 Jul 24, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
That's funny, because you've been misrepresenting my argument as well.
And, no the pillows are not just "images for anime fans". Those are called posters.
You don't see any Japanese guys doing this with posters:
http://www.the-two-malcontents.com/wp-content...
or this:
http://outsiderjapan.pbworks.com/f/dirtypillo...
Note she has breasts, not images of breasts, actual protruding lumps.
Yeah, so some otaku take it a bit far. Not unexpected. We have cosplay bars here, too, but you can't get laid going to one.
What about this:
http://www.menpillow.com/image/cache/data/pro...
What do you think is under the censor marks? Does that look like an adult woman? Is that just something for an anime fan?
Yes, that's for an anime fan. It is, you'll note, an image.
Oh, and on the subject of Japanese penis obsession...
http://outsiderjapan.pbworks.com/w/page/24381...
Go ahead and explain that this is just "one guy in one store".
That's a fertility festival - religious. Sexual imagery and celebration in religion is not uncommon outside of Christian influenced cultures. The genitalia provide pleasure so it makes sense to celebrate them.

You know we don't share your strange obsession with sin and guilt about sex. What's up with hating your bodies, being scandalized if a women bears her breasts, shocked at the sight of a penis, and being raised believing that sexual desire is wrong?

Why is Christian culture so prudish?

Some stable somewhere

#821 Jul 24, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Hillarious that you would make this complaint to skippy who LITERALLY changes the words in a quote box to ACTUALLY assign a false statement so someone else.
I use "quotes" to express the sentiment of an argument and I use
<quoted text>
Yes, you literally changed my words - that's dishonest. Since you quoted them as if they were mine, you were outright lying about what I said. At that point, since you had to rely upon dishonesty, you lost the argument.

Los Angeles, CA

#822 Jul 24, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Why is Christian culture so prudish?
In general, Christian culture is prudish because it's primarily about controlling female sexuality.

In specific, American culture is prudish because America was founded by the Puritans who took prudish to a whole new level.

Los Angeles, CA

#823 Jul 24, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you literally changed my words - that's dishonest. Since you quoted them as if they were mine, you were outright lying about what I said. At that point, since you had to rely upon dishonesty, you lost the argument.
The above is a quote from you.

"This statement is not".

The following statement is not a quote, but is a summation of your position as I see it:
"The Japanese aren't a weird as the media makes them out to be."

Did you SPECIFICALLY say that? Doubt it. If you had, it would look like this:
The Japanese aren't as weird as the media makes them out to be
Because then I would be quoting you directly.

Get it?

What Skippy did was change the words IN THE BOX so that it looked like a direct quote. THAT is dishonest.
vanessa

Philippines

#824 Jul 24, 2013
hot..pretty busty girl..show for$$ sky pe
e-vanessancexxd

Some stable somewhere

#825 Jul 24, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
In general, Christian culture is prudish because it's primarily about controlling female sexuality.
In specific, American culture is prudish because America was founded by the Puritans who took prudish to a whole new level.
Do you believe people can escape such enculturation?

Some stable somewhere

#826 Jul 24, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
The above is a quote from you.
"This statement is not".
The following statement is not a quote, but is a summation of your position as I see it:
"The Japanese aren't a weird as the media makes them out to be."
Did you SPECIFICALLY say that? Doubt it. If you had, it would look like this:
<quoted text>
Because then I would be quoting you directly.
Get it?
What Skippy did was change the words IN THE BOX so that it looked like a direct quote. THAT is dishonest.
How you and Skeptic discuss is not a my problem thing and it's not an excuse for altering my words and deliberately putting them in quotes as if I wrote them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 17 min Eagle 12 384
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 23 min Subduction Zone 30,043
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 33 min Subduction Zone 69,736
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 4 hr yehoshooah adam 3,768
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 5 hr Elerby 258,465
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 18 hr John 575
News Atheism and cowardice (Nov '11) Mon Eagle 12 12,668
More from around the web