Atheism and homosexuality

Atheism and homosexuality

There are 3861 comments on the Conservapedia story from Dec 5, 2011, titled Atheism and homosexuality. In it, Conservapedia reports that:

Creationist scientists and creationist assert that the theory of evolution cannot account for the origin of gender and sexual reproduction.http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/136http://www.answersingenesis.org/pbs_nova/0928ep5.asp [[Creation Ministries International]] states: "Homosexual acts go against [[God]]'s original [[Intelligent design ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Conservapedia.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#2377 Sep 2, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes!
Dogma is the enemy
funny thing is one can say that "Dogma is the enemy" is the dogma of anarchists!
PCD

Jamaica, NY

#2378 Sep 2, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>What the heck does, "In a nutshell, do not accept non-falsifiable claims of Truth" mean?
A non-falsifiable claim can't be false.
If I may, what he means is that the best way to avoid becoming dogmatically attached to this or that belief is to simply refuse to accept anything that isn't falsifiable.

While it's true that an unfalsifiable claim can't be false, we may draw entirely falsifiable inferences and conclusions from that unfalsifiable belief.

For instance, I can assert that Zeus is the source of all lightning - if and only if I ascribe to all the available scientific information about lightning. That is not a falsifiable claim. But if I were to assert further that since we know Zeus lives atop Mount Olympus, all lightning therefore comes from Mount Olympus, I would be making an easily testable and falsifiable claim.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#2379 Sep 2, 2013
What does Atheism have to do with Homosexuality?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2380 Sep 2, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
To be fair in the case of nudity it's become a problem only because we have become such massive prudes about it. I'm not saying everyone should all get their ghoulies out all of a sudden, just saying that if we didn't shame ourselves and just be happy like all the other animals the whole problem about humanity's self-image would disappear.

If the religious nuts hadn't got all stuck up about it thousands of years ago then perhaps we wouldn't have all these taboos about nudity and the portrayal of sexuality.
Brilliant observations, here.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2381 Sep 2, 2013
DNF wrote:
I am a theosophical Christian Unitarian Universalist.
Seriously? That's totally cool!

Several members of my local atheist group are members of a local Unitarian congregation. They are openly atheist about their membership, and the congregation is accepting of them as they are.

Naturally, they are a bit less acerbic than I am-- 6 years of Topix has kind of worn all the velvet off my "gloves" here.

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2382 Sep 2, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>When the Bible, Qur'an or any religious text starts being used as a weapon, most of the good messages they contain gets lost. And in doing that the sacredness of those teachings as well as the sacredness of those texts and scriptures is destroyed.
I couldn't agree more, here.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2383 Sep 2, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
What does Atheism have to do with Homosexuality?
In the same fashion that fish are desperate to own bicycles, don'cha know.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#2384 Sep 2, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
In the same fashion that fish are desperate to own bicycles, don'cha know.
hehehe :)

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#2385 Sep 3, 2013
Same sex marriage means closed shops and unemployment:

Gresham bakery that denied same-sex wedding cake closes

GRESHAM, Ore.– A Gresham bakery that refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple, prompting a state investigation, shut its doors.
On Sunday, KGW stopped by Sweet Cakes by Melissa and found the bakery completely empty. All counter tops, display cases and decorations were gone.
Hanging in the window was a sign from the Oregon Family Council that read "Religious freedom is under attack in Gresham."

http://www.kgw.com/news/Gresham-bakery-that-d...

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#2386 Sep 3, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
GRESHAM, Ore.– A Gresham bakery that refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple, prompting a state investigation, shut its doors.
On Sunday, KGW stopped by Sweet Cakes by Melissa and found the bakery completely empty. All counter tops, display cases and decorations were gone.
Hanging in the window was a sign from the Oregon Family Council that read "Religious freedom is under attack in Gresham."
You left out these parts;

"In January, Laurel Bowman said Sweet Cakes by Melissa refused to sell her a cake after learning it would be for a same-sex wedding."

"Aaron Klein, one of the owners of the "Sweet Cakes by Melissa,” refused to sell the cake to one of the brides-to-be because he said marriage should be only between a man and a woman."

That would be no different than saying we won't sell you a cake because of your race.

It is their own fault for saying they would not do it because of their sexual orientation. They were stupid and now suffer the consequences of their stupidity.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#2387 Sep 3, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Take that irony meter out of your a$$ for the last time and address the burden of proof you dishonest troll.
That's right you have no proof that god is possible, so s*ck it.
The double irony is that you have no idea what the burden of proof applies to. And no capacity to rationally discuss it. Therefore you are no better than the worst fundy extremist.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#2388 Sep 3, 2013
replaytime wrote:
You left out these parts; "In January, Laurel Bowman said Sweet Cakes by Melissa refused to sell her a cake after learning it would be for a same-sex wedding." "Aaron Klein, one of the owners of the "Sweet Cakes by Melissa,” refused to sell the cake to one of the brides-to-be because he said marriage should be only between a man and a woman." That would be no different than saying we won't sell you a cake because of your race. It is their own fault for saying they would not do it because of their sexual orientation. They were stupid and now suffer the consequences of their stupidity.
That's not what happened, they had sold to the couple before. The issue isn't orientation, far less race; the issue is compelling Christians to support same sex weddings.

I'm against it. Same sex marriage leads to business closures and increased unemployment.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#2390 Sep 3, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
O hai Skip! I see you still haven't mustered up an argument yet. Ah well, maybe when Jesus comes back, eh?
Dishonest moron who cannot prove that god is possible even after 2 years of constant whining,

Still denies the burden of proof and remains a foolish loudmouth.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#2391 Sep 3, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>What the heck does, "In a nutshell, do not accept non-falsifiable claims of Truth" mean?
A non-falsifiable claim can't be false.
You are implying that non-falsifiable claims therefore must be true. This is incorrect.

For instance, evolution is considered a fact because it passes the scientific method. However it is a FALSIFIABLE claim, not a non-falsifiable one. In order to be scientific it must be falsifiable. That is how scientific concepts make testable predictions. We come up with a testable hypothesis that predicts certain outcomes and not others. If it goes one way we say it works and if it goes another then it doesn't.

Therefore evolution is *falsifiable* because it predicts we won't find any pre-Cambrian rabbits. If we do then evolution is potentially falsified.

Whereas NON-falsifiable claims on the other hand can't make a prediction either way. The existence of pre-Cambrian rabbits wouldn't affect the Flying Spaghetti Monster either way. Therefore the FSM is a non-falsifiable concept. It cannot be verified or make any scientific predictions.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#2392 Sep 3, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Brilliant observations, here.
Cheers!(Dude raises glass)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#2393 Sep 3, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>That's not what happened, they had sold to the couple before. The issue isn't orientation, far less race; the issue is compelling Christians to support same sex weddings.
I'm against it. Same sex marriage leads to business closures and increased unemployment.
Mixed race marriage leads to closures and increased unemployment!!!!!!!!!!

Black marriage leads to closures and increased unemployment!!!!!!!!!!

>:-(
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#2394 Sep 3, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Dishonest moron who cannot prove that god is possible even after 2 years of constant whining,
Still denies the burden of proof and remains a foolish loudmouth.
You can't help it. You're a fundie.(shrug)

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#2395 Sep 3, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Would you sue a black or Jewish photographer for refusing to support a KKK rally or a Nazi party commemoration?
How about a restaurant owner that refuses to serve customers that are black?

lides

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#2396 Sep 3, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
http://www.oregon.gov/boli/CRD/pages/c_crprot...

They broke the law.

Why do you defend criminals, Brian?

lides

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#2397 Sep 3, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
That's not what happened, they had sold to the couple before. The issue isn't orientation, far less race; the issue is compelling Christians to support same sex weddings.
You've yet to say how providing a service for a same sex wedding impacts the business owner's free exercise.

Please do so, or admit that you are an idiot without a valid argument.

Actually, in reality, every time that you post and fail to indicate the impact upon religious freedom cause by same sex marriage, you prove that you are an idiot.

Do you ever notice that you don't respond to me? Could it be that you have no valid argument to bring to the table, and that you present little more than feeble minded rhetoric?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 9 min Aura Mytha 27,270
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 24 min u196533dm 58,064
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 29 min Hedonist Heretic 1,896
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 44 min Hedonist Heretic 1,939
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) 2 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 153
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 2 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 5,961
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 2 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 4,946
More from around the web