Atheism and homosexuality

Atheism and homosexuality

There are 3861 comments on the Conservapedia story from Dec 5, 2011, titled Atheism and homosexuality. In it, Conservapedia reports that:

Creationist scientists and creationist assert that the theory of evolution cannot account for the origin of gender and sexual reproduction.http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/136http://www.answersingenesis.org/pbs_nova/0928ep5.asp [[Creation Ministries International]] states: "Homosexual acts go against [[God]]'s original [[Intelligent design ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Conservapedia.

Since: Apr 11

Panorama City, CA

#2215 Aug 29, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Religious and moral reasons not to want to participate in a same sex marriage. Nobody can force you to attend an opposite sex marriage; why should these three victims of Political Correctness be persecuted for their religion?
Not wanting to participate, and denying people equal protection are two different things.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>These hate laws harm free expression and speech,
No, stupid, they do not.
The 1st Amendment protects free speech.(At least in the US)
Brian_G wrote:
a photographer's art has been corrupted by court action. A baker is forced to support a service he finds immoral; where's the tolerance in charging a florist with violating state codes when all she's done is turned down an invitation to photograph a same sex wedding?
<quoted text>I've never been divorced; I don't make false and derogatory claims about my political opponents; this is where we differ. There are good and bad people on both sides of this issue. Many homosexuals support one man and one woman marriage.
The only people against one man and one woman marriage are people who have been divorced. Like you.
Brian_G wrote:
I believe their dishonest because truth and reason aren't on their side.
<quoted text>Thanks for trying.
People have said you are divorced. I believe them over you.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#2216 Aug 29, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
DNF as I said. We only have one life. Live it to be happy by what is best for you. What other think is irrelevant being it is your life to live. I would rather live my life happy by want makes me happy then live it unhappy living it for what makes others happy.
agreed

Namaste

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#2217 Aug 29, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
The left sues Christians for living by their faith. Down with same sex marriage; it leads to fascism.
And people like you want to jail ministers who practice their faith.

Under the SSM law passed in Indiana a minister faces a $1000.00 fine and 180 days in jail for blessing a same sex union.

Truth hurts sometimes. Especially when it shows YOUR hypocrisy and deceptive nature.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#2218 Aug 29, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Those businesses the left likes to sue, are owned by christian citizens. You said same sex marriage won't affect anyone but the small minority of gays who elect to marry then you try to use force from courts to compel participation.
Same sex marriage is government enforcing laws against nature.
I can give you nearly 100 verses from scripture that instruct true followers to obey civil laws.

Using God as a defense for religious discrimination is so sick it's not even funny.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#2219 Aug 29, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Americans sue some Christians when they try to unconstitutionally impose their religious beliefs on others who do not share them.
That's the opposite of fascism, my dear.
"....fundamentalists spurn the modern, and want to return to a nostalgic vision of a golden age that never really existed. Several of the scholars observed a strong and deep resemblance between fundamentalism and fascism. Both have almost identical agendas. Men are on top, women are subservient, there is one rigid set of rules, with police and military might to enforce them, and education is tightly controlled by the state. One scholar suggested that it's helpful to understand fundamentalism as religious fascism, and fascism as political fundamentalism. The phrase “overcoming the modern” is a fascist slogan dating back to at least 1941.

The fifth point is the most abstract, though it's foundational. Fundamentalists deny history in a radical and idiosyncratic way. Fundamentalists know as well or better than anybody that culture shapes everything it touches: The times we live in color how we think, what we value, and the kind of people we become. Fundamentalists agree on the perverseness of modern American society: the air of permissiveness and narcissism, individual rights unbalanced by responsibilities, sex divorced from commitment, and so on. What they don't want to see is the way culture colored the era when their scriptures were created.

Good biblical scholarship begins by studying the cultural situation when scriptures were written in search of their original intent, so that we can better discern what messages they may still have that are relevant for our lives. But if fundamentalists were to admit that their own scriptures are as culturally conditioned as everything else, they would lose the foundation of their certainties...."

The Fundamentalist Agenda
http://www.uuworld.org/2004/01/feature2.html

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#2220 Aug 29, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You were born gay-- that was not a choice you got to make.
You did choose to be a person of faith-- that **is** a choice.
So I respect your being gay, and I respect you being human.
But I do not respect religion, sorry. I acknowledge that you are religious, and I would fight to protect your **right** to remain so.
However, if you step over the line and attempt to force your religious ideas onto the public, just **because** it's a religious idea (and not because there is valid **non-religious** reasons for said idea)? Then I will try to stop you.
An idea **can** come from religion-- but unless it is also a valid **non** religious idea?(do not kill is one example) Then said idea has no place in the public sphere as a **compulsory** idea.
Do you get it, yet?
Yes I do get it. And I have always agreed with these points you made.

My thanks.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#2221 Aug 29, 2013
<quoted text>
:)
(congratulations on being married, by the way-- good for you and him!)
My first partner and I were husbands to each other. We exchanged vows privately before God.

Unfortunately we lived in MD and at that time SSM was illegal.

Plus being catholic he was hesitant to marry because of his family's religious views. I was hurt but also gained great respect for him because he put the needs of both our families above our own in this case.

Thankfully today, I believe that even his family would be delighted to see us married if he were still alive.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#2222 Aug 29, 2013
<quoted text>
He is.... I agree.
But I suspect he is also a latent homosexual himself, and until he deals with **that**, he won't be able to get over it.
... or himself, for that matter...
DNF pryas, "DEAR GOD! Don't let Brian G be gay. He's just too embarrassing to the rest of us. Thanks"

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#2223 Aug 29, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I think it should be a person's right not to be forced to do something that they find offensive. There are nurses that are pro-life that find elective abortion offensive; I suppose you believe they should be forced to participate in that procedure just because they are health care workers and you like to inflict your will over theirs?
How hard is it for someone to call one more number to find a photographer that has no problem watching same sex couples kiss at a social function?
Nurses who oppose abortion probably won't work in a place that performs them.

D'OH!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#2224 Aug 29, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I think it should be a person's right not to be forced to do something that they find offensive. There are nurses that are pro-life that find elective abortion offensive; I suppose you believe they should be forced to participate in that procedure just because they are health care workers and you like to inflict your will over theirs?
How hard is it for someone to call one more number to find a photographer that has no problem watching same sex couples kiss at a social function?
So basically you are saying that as long as they say they are christians they are innocent of any crime.

NOPE

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#2225 Aug 29, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
The Bible contains over 100 verses that instruct true Christians to obey civil laws.
Spin again. Maybe you'll win that get out of hell free card you're going to need (IMHO)

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#2226 Aug 29, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>People who participate in same-sex sex do pass their genes in to the future; they're just not passing on a "gay" gene because there isn't one.
I don't know of very many people who've done same-sex sex that haven't had any kids.
Prove there is no gay gene. Then prove there is no heterosexual one. Then prove that a left handed gene doesn't exist.

It's a shame I don't own a farm otherwise I could offer you more straw for your theories.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#2227 Aug 29, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Prove there's a gay gene AND that it would take more than one.
And, NO, I won't hold my breath waiting for it.
Show me where in the U.S. Constitution it says that a certain gene is required for someone to have the benefits of the Bill of Rights and the 14th Amendment.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#2228 Aug 29, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
True, but they tend to come out at a younger age when they have 2 gay parents.
links please

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2229 Aug 29, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You are an idiot. You can't keep me from visiting a thread by shouting "Stalker" at me, loser.
BTW, my comments were NOT removed you idiot, but then again, reality never was your strong suit. The mods know you're crazy, hysterical blindness...and all THAT entails. You should see a doctor about that.
Your threats and infantile machinations may work on the faint of heart but wimps like you don't scare me.
Yet... every time you show your bigoted and ugly face here? I get lots and lots of lovely negative jugicons-- even on the most innocuous of my posts.

That's stalking-- but it's worse.

You always say the most hateful shyt-- as in the above.

Proving again you are just a sad little nobody.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2230 Aug 29, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
I don't know of very many people who've done same-sex sex that haven't had any kids.
You could have stopped with "I don't know of very many people" ... period.

Clearly, you know very few people--- and considering how horrid your personality disorders are?

Is no surprise to anyone here.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2231 Aug 29, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Prove there's a gay gene AND that it would take more than one.
And, NO, I won't hold my breath waiting for it.
I never claimed there was-- in fact, I've been writing pretty much just the opposite.

But you don't actually ...**read** do you?

And yes, people **are** born gay-- they do not suddenly "choose" to be gay at some point.

But I wonder-- WHEN DID YOU CHOOSE TO BECOME A BIGOT?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2232 Aug 29, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I get that you are gay. I am just going to say if you are the one that leads hen dancing your bitch won't want to hear that jive. Honesty it makes me think you are rally in the closet.
Nope. Not gay.

But that's okay--it doesn't bother me that you think I am.

An added benefit, though? Is perhaps it will make you **stop** stalking me, now...

... not that you'd be a choice even if you were the only remaining female on the planet.

There are no drugs in existence strong enough to make **you** attractive in **any** way ...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2233 Aug 29, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
True, but they tend to come out at a younger age when they have 2 gay parents.
Naturally!

They do not suffer the social stigma under Genuine Christian™ bigotry.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2234 Aug 29, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>My first partner and I were husbands to each other. We exchanged vows privately before God.

Unfortunately we lived in MD and at that time SSM was illegal.
Plus being catholic he was hesitant to marry because of his family's religious views. I was hurt but also gained great respect for him because he put the needs of both our families above our own in this case.

Thankfully today, I believe that even his family would be delighted to see us married if he were still alive.
I applaud you in your good fortune and choice of significant others.

:)

Life is too short to deny people happiness; kudos to you that you found yours.

And, sadly, you are likely correct in that the catholic church is still firmly in the Bronze Age with regards to people's happiness.

That church seems to think suffering is ...

.... some kind of virtue....

.... <gag>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 min Subduction Zone 67,232
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Science 28,657
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 4 hr Regolith Based Li... 3,531
is it ever right to hate Christians as a group? Tue superwilly 21
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Tue superwilly 462
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Apr 22 IB DaMann 5,975
News Unholy? Atheists should embrace the science of ... Apr 20 Eagle 12 9
More from around the web