What do Atheists say about the book of revelations?

Posted in the Atheism Forum

Comments
1 - 18 of 18 Comments Last updated Jul 12, 2009

“Mindvirus”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2009

Many sources and videos that I have examined, show the Atheist's take on genesis, and exodus (sp?). I am curious as to what you as Atheists would say to someone who brings out the Revelations, and the alleged prophecies coming true. Thanks all for educating me, and for opening my eyes to a world I never knew existed.
deanoff

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2009

Answer: Its all a load of bollocks.

“Mindvirus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

deanoff wrote:
Answer: Its all a load of bollocks.
lol

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

Judged:

kjerstie001 wrote:
Many sources and videos that I have examined, show the Atheist's take on genesis, and exodus (sp?). I am curious as to what you as Atheists would say to someone who brings out the Revelations, and the alleged prophecies coming true. Thanks all for educating me, and for opening my eyes to a world I never knew existed.
There are numerous problems with biblical prophecies.

One, there is never specificity. If a prophecy was in the bible that said "The first personal computer will be introduced by a corporation called IBM in 1981" then I would be convinced. But to the skeptic the claims are always suffer from a few problems.

The "prophecy" may have been written after the events fulfilling it have already occurred. The prophecy can be so vague that people can interpret any outcome as a fulfillment; confirmation bias for believers. The prophecy can predict something that is almost sure to happen, such as the collapse of a city. Since nothing lasts forever, the city is sure to fall someday. If it hasn't, just say that, according to prophecy, it will. One can claim that the fulfilling events occurred even if they haven't or forget that the prophecy was ever made.

Here is a common one that is laughable:

II Peter 3:3-6 not only predicts that one day men will scoff at the Bible, but it also predicts their basic reasoning.
II Peter 3. Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lust.

Let's see, suppose you were one of the bible's authors 2,000 years ago telling people some of these stories to see their reaction. Many break into gales of laughter. So, you write a "prophecy" that people will laugh at the bible. Genius. LOL
Carrot_Stick

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

The Book of Revelations? Insane rambling.
infidel

Deatsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

I say that it wasn't worth the time it took to read it.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

Judged:

Charmin is softer.
nina

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

when chapter 1 is fiction

any chapter after that is pretty much the same
formerly really

San Pedro, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

kjerstie001 wrote:
Engaging fiction but it rambles and could use a better ending.

“Mindvirus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

ScienceRules wrote:
Charmin is softer.
I have heard the pages make good rolling papers. That and the flush able wrappers from tampons.*Sigh* I wish my fiance wasn't such a stoner.

“Mindvirus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

ScienceRules wrote:
<quoted text>
There are numerous problems with biblical prophecies.
One, there is never specificity. If a prophecy was in the bible that said "The first personal computer will be introduced by a corporation called IBM in 1981" then I would be convinced. But to the skeptic the claims are always suffer from a few problems.
The "prophecy" may have been written after the events fulfilling it have already occurred. The prophecy can be so vague that people can interpret any outcome as a fulfillment; confirmation bias for believers. The prophecy can predict something that is almost sure to happen, such as the collapse of a city. Since nothing lasts forever, the city is sure to fall someday. If it hasn't, just say that, according to prophecy, it will. One can claim that the fulfilling events occurred even if they haven't or forget that the prophecy was ever made.
Here is a common one that is laughable:
II Peter 3:3-6 not only predicts that one day men will scoff at the Bible, but it also predicts their basic reasoning.
II Peter 3. Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lust.
Let's see, suppose you were one of the bible's authors 2,000 years ago telling people some of these stories to see their reaction. Many break into gales of laughter. So, you write a "prophecy" that people will laugh at the bible. Genius. LOL
LOL, I had thought about the prophecies being vague. You could put them in any situation, and repeatedly. For example....think of all the Antichrists we have had.
How about this one....the whole mark of the beast thing. This is of course vague as well, but a lot of Christians take it as meaning that there will be a UPC symbol tattooed on their bodies. I have a feeling this one came out when supermarkets started using the UPC scanners. Now it is the microchips that in the future will be implanted into people's arms. I do wonder what their example was when this part was written.
formerly really

San Pedro, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

kjerstie001 wrote:
To which alleged prophecy that was fulfilled are you referring?

“Mindvirus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

Ok here is one
this came from a website that I looked at
http://www.gotquestions.org/fulfilled-prophec...

I cant cut and paste because it is too long..sorry.

What was funny is that this person says that there is no Biblical proof that the prophecy was fulfilled lol!
I might find one with a better argument from the history channel website..I will look, however I didn't want to leave you with nothing.
nina

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

kjerstie001 wrote:
Ok here is one
http://www.gotquestions.org/fulfilled-prophec... ....
just the first stuff they deal with

war, disease, rudeness, false teachings and prophets

that's vague

they don't name years, people, places

that the American continent is never mentioned should be a big big clue for people

hey, here's a whole land mass with people on it

and wait, it's not in the bible

was god senile? blind in one eye?
formerly really

San Pedro, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

kjerstie001 wrote:
Ok here is one
http://www.gotquestions.org/fulfilled-prophec...
I cant cut and paste because it is too long..sorry.
What was funny is that this person says that there is no Biblical proof that the prophecy was fulfilled lol!
I might find one with a better argument from the history channel website..I will look, however I didn't want to leave you with nothing.
Well the first thing I call into question is that word "more." Are there really more famines and wars than at any other time in history or do we just have more sophisticated communication techniques? I'd argue the latter. For one thing, mankind has come a long way in controlling disease vectors. Just one example: In the middle ages the Black Death wiped out roughly a third of the population of Europe. There has been no pandemic like it since and the Black Death, while still around, is easily treated now.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2009

kjerstie001 wrote:
Back when I was still trying to be a good little christian, even then, I had problems with Revelations.

Historically? It barely made it into the biblical canon.

In fact? There was a conclave in Constantinople (if my memory serves) where it was decided by a group of men, exactly what was and what was not to be the "official" christian bible.

Of all the books chosen for the christian scriptures (NT) Revelations was pretty much voted out by the group-- in fact? To a man, they rejected it as unsuitable for the official canon.

The leader overrode their collective decision and forced it in anyway-- over their many objections.

The chief reason being given, is Revelations is the *only* place that claims that Jesus is the *only* path to enlightenment.

At least that is what I recall, from the last time I studied it in depth.

As for the book itself? My conclusion is that the author was high on mushrooms or some other fungus when he hallucinated the bulk of it.

And, no, modern scholars do not think the author was one of the disciples at all-- the book's language is wrong for that time, among other clues. It was likely written 90 to 100 years after the supposed time of Jesus.

Oh, here: this is a pretty good summary.

" http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/richar... ;

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2009

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Back when I was still trying to be a good little christian, even then, I had problems with Revelations.
Historically? It barely made it into the biblical canon.
In fact? There was a conclave in Constantinople (if my memory serves) where it was decided by a group of men, exactly what was and what was not to be the "official" christian bible.
Of all the books chosen for the christian scriptures (NT) Revelations was pretty much voted out by the group-- in fact? To a man, they rejected it as unsuitable for the official canon.
The leader overrode their collective decision and forced it in anyway-- over their many objections.
The chief reason being given, is Revelations is the *only* place that claims that Jesus is the *only* path to enlightenment.
At least that is what I recall, from the last time I studied it in depth.
As for the book itself? My conclusion is that the author was high on mushrooms or some other fungus when he hallucinated the bulk of it.
And, no, modern scholars do not think the author was one of the disciples at all-- the book's language is wrong for that time, among other clues. It was likely written 90 to 100 years after the supposed time of Jesus.
Oh, here: this is a pretty good summary.
" http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/richar... ;
Just a note. The group that decided what was in the Bible was the Council of Nicaea...not Constantinople.

BTW...even the divinity of Jesus was a very close vote. There were a lot of churches at the time that thought Jesus was just a man.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2009

Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Just a note. The group that decided what was in the Bible was the Council of Nicaea...not Constantinople.
BTW...even the divinity of Jesus was a very close vote. There were a lot of churches at the time that thought Jesus was just a man.
*sigh*

Me 51 year old memory ain't what it used to be....

:O

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 11 min Eagle 12 225,683
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 59 min Thinking 292
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Thinking 366
If Christianity were true... 1 hr Thinking 152
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr I can read 21,464
Hollywood Actor Reveals What He Thinks Is 'Weir... 8 hr religionisillness 104
The Ultimate Evidence of God 8 hr religionisillness 44

Search the Atheism Forum:
•••