American Atheists wage war on Christmas

American Atheists wage war on Christmas

There are 12346 comments on the Examiner.com story from Nov 26, 2010, titled American Atheists wage war on Christmas. In it, Examiner.com reports that:

Do you like this story? This Albuquerque Christian Apologetics Examiner page had just begun a series responding to the anti-Judeo-Christian, anti-Islam and pro conversion to American Humanist Association' s sect of atheism ads, when along came the anti-Christian ads by the American Atheists ' ad.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner.com.

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#5942 Feb 21, 2011
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
And you STILL cannot manage to get your myth-god to show up.
Why?
Is your god out to lunch?
Perhaps your god is out playing golf?
LOL!
Atheism stands.
Your god is still a myth.
golf is a good one. or driving a vw. why worry, you wouldn't recognize it if it hit you. and you wouldn't because you are tied to your keyboard. a monstrous number of posts for someone with a life they themselves have created. good fun that. seems that a chord has been struck.

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Location hidden

#5943 Feb 21, 2011
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not really clear on your position on proving a negative. Here's mine Tell me please if you agree or not :
How can I prove that I haven't murdered anyone? I could only prove that I did if I had. Same with the others.
Some negatives can be proven. If one is clear about the qualities of an object, and limit it to a specific and observable time and place, you can potentially prove that negative. For example, is there an elephant in my garage right now?...[looks]... no.
But violate any of those -[1] change the clear and distinct elephant to a huffalump or god - something that you can't describe - and you're sunk. Or [2] change the place from my garage to the United States - prove there is no elephant in any American garage right now - and I can't. Or [3] change now to at any time - prove there never was is not now, and will never be an elephant in my garage - again I can't.
Now, is there a god somewhere? I'm not expected to rule it out because it is impossible. You - or anyone - bring a god here, and we'll talk.
Sound reasonable?
Close but no cigar. Of course you can prove the negative. People believed the earth was flat. Took time but it is more like a billiard ball. People are in jail because they could not prove they did not commit the murder. Some did. Some didn't. Have an alibi or the wrong DNA and you could prove the negative. Just pulling those legs out their that insist that one cannot prove a negative. Even a double negative like "you cannot prove the nonexistence of...(fill in the blank)." Believing you cannot prove a negative can wind you up in a world full of hurt."

I am certainly not asking you to bring a god here or have god show or manifest its presence. Never have in any of my posts. Have not asked you to prove the nonexistence of god. Never have in any of my posts. Tongue in cheek notwithstanding. And it seems that many who believe and especially those who disbelieve are assuming that god shows itself like he/she/it did in the bible. Pretty simple. And funny. Especially as the bible is under question as well. Would guess it would not be a recognizable or understood manifestation if it did occur. Except maybe to the Department of Homeland Security or.....

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#5944 Feb 21, 2011
Really? Let's look at your own words again:
"If you were not living in a Christian country you would be hanged for blasphemy."
Nope, it just refers to countries that aren't Christian countries. No limitation there on what their beliefs are.
So I'm afraid that you still screwed up.
tooth pick wrote:
No he didn't .
Yeah, he did. He forgot all those non-Christian countries that don't have the death penalty for blasphemy.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Fennario

#5945 Feb 22, 2011
Sir Arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were not living in a Christian country you would be hanged for blasphemy.
If I were living under a Christian government, I would be burned and/or tortured as a heretic for expressing the opinions I have. I cherish my freedom and my life under secular government. And THAT'S a fact!

Fennario

#5946 Feb 22, 2011
Sir Arthur wrote:
"The (physical) law says "Thou shalt not kill".
Physical laws say such things as F = ma and E = IR. I'm pretty sure that you just made up this scripture by sticking the word physical in it. Did you think that that would not be noticed? You're less reliable than a Wiki article.

Fennario

#5947 Feb 22, 2011
Sir Arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
I was talking about those non-Christan countries which have some belief in God.
You don't get to go back and modify your comments and keep moving the goalposts. You said that if we lived in a non-Christian country, we would be charged with blasphemy, implying grave danger. The implication is that your religion would protect us from such things, as if Christian theocracy would be safe.

Now it turns out that what you meant is that if a different religion from yours were in control - no doubt Islam - that that would be the danger. That's quite a bit different, isn't it, especially since, as I have pointed out, the same is true under a Christian government as they enjoyed in colonial Salem.

The obvious conclusion is the exact opposite of what you are implying: theocracies will kill you for committing their version of impiety. Yes, we know that.

You change faster than a Wiki article.

Fennario

#5948 Feb 22, 2011
tooth pick wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to see the damage done to this country by atheists, just watch the first 25 minutes of the evening news. The weather is the only thing left to talk about in the last 5 minutes.
If you're unhappy with the degree of atheism in America now, you're going to find the future a tough pill to swallow, because atheism has a momentum that I don't think anybody can stop, not even the memory of Jesus. Don't be afraid. We won't burn you.

Fennario

#5949 Feb 22, 2011
tooth pick wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. Bob can't understand any logic other than the logic he has created within himself. To hate Christians. I've never witnessed anyone more full of hate than Bob of QF. His attitude will convert many to Christ when they see his sickening outbursts.
Although he does so in his own idiom, Bob speaks the same message that many of us do.

We don't hate Christians. We hate religion bleeding into our lives. We hate the embarrassment of reading about your superstitions on the coins. We hate that your churches don't pay the same taxes as the rest of the business on the block. We hate that you hold up stem cell research based on ancient goatherd superstition. We hate seeing our courts defaced with protohistoric homage to a primitive and cruel god.

After we remove your fairy tales form our coins, oaths, pledge, law books, text books, public buildings and monuments, I doubt most of us will ever think about you again. You don't here us commenting on the Druids, do you? When you're as invisible in our lives as they are, then we will have freedom from religion.

You don't need to understand or approve. Your consent would be appreciated, but it is neither expected nor needed.

Fennario

#5950 Feb 22, 2011
"You don't here us"

should read

"You don't HEAR us"

ugh!

Fennario

#5951 Feb 22, 2011
tooth pick wrote:
You never see hatred in a church .
I guess that you consider pedophilia love.

But you're right. I rarely see hatred in churches any more.

I was in one recently, however, for a memorial service. I saw them attempt to terrorize us outsiders, though, with threats of damnation - "Was Alan ready to die? Are you? Do you know where your soul is going?" I consider psychops like that a form of terrorism, and thus hate.

But I rarely see it first hand any more.

Fennario

#5952 Feb 22, 2011
i am they wrote:
I've never seen an atheist put the scriptures in the proper context.
Then perhaps you'd like to put some into the right context for me. How about these:

[1] "Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:19-20

[2] "His breasts are full of milk." - Job 21:24

[3] "If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity." - Deuteronomy 25:11-12

[4]“And thou shalt eat it as barley cakes, and thou shalt bake it with dung that cometh out of man, in their sight." - Ezekiel 4:12

[5]“The fathers shall eat the sons in the midst of thee, and the sons shall eat their fathers.”- Ezekiel 5:10

[6]“As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.”- Proverbs 26:11

[7]“Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces.”- Mal.2:3

[8]“But the men would not hearken to him: so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning.”- Judges 19:25

[9] "And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head. And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them." - Kings 2:23-24

[10]“But Rabshakeh said unto them, Hath my master sent me to thy master, and to thee, to speak these words? hath he not sent me to the men which sit on the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you?”- 2 Kings 18:27

[11]”Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.”– Hosea 13:15

[12]“Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father”- Genesis 19:32

[13] "And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat." -“Leviticus 26:29

Can you do that for me?

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#5953 Feb 22, 2011
<quoted text>
Then perhaps you'd like to put some into the right context for me. How about these:
[1] "Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:19-20
[2] "His breasts are full of milk." - Job 21:24
[3] "If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity." - Deuteronomy 25:11-12
[4]“And thou shalt eat it as barley cakes, and thou shalt bake it with dung that cometh out of man, in their sight." - Ezekiel 4:12
[5]“The fathers shall eat the sons in the midst of thee, and the sons shall eat their fathers.”- Ezekiel 5:10
[6]“As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.”- Proverbs 26:11
[7]“Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces.”- Mal.2:3
[8]“But the men would not hearken to him: so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning.”- Judges 19:25
[9] "And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head. And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them." - Kings 2:23-24
[10]“But Rabshakeh said unto them, Hath my master sent me to thy master, and to thee, to speak these words? hath he not sent me to the men which sit on the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you?”- 2 Kings 18:27
[11]”Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.”– Hosea 13:15
[12]“Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father”- Genesis 19:32
[13] "And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat." -“Leviticus 26:29
Can you do that for me?
I think we may have scared this little chew toy off, IANS. And I was just getting my teeth sharpened too.

Fennario

#5954 Feb 22, 2011
i am they wrote:
due to their desperation and deep down desire to hate God, they study it
First, your god is a mythological creature, like a sphinx or a cherub.

Second, I stopped studying the bible when I stopped respecting it. I happened to have learned a lot about it before that happened. It turns out that I'm pretty good with books.

The reason that so many atheists are so well versed in the bible is the same reason we became atheists. We read. We understand. We think. We analyze. Your book doesn't bear close scrutiny. Those who never do this go on wallowing in the superstition. The more analytical and scholarly Christians are very likely to break free and reject the chains of dogma. The rest are trapped.

I don't mean to be rude here, but it's not a coincidence that we atheists here are so much better read, better educated and more articulate than you believers. That was our salvation from the darkness of dogma and superstition. I was born an atheist, but was eventually anesthetized by religion. Eventually, I was born again many years later, when I cast your suffocating mythology aside.

Fennario

#5955 Feb 22, 2011
tooth pick wrote:
You would think if they had the FACTS that there is no God that they would first of all show us the proof that there is no God....but they won't do it!!!
Facts have no currency with the faithful. You have rejected reason, and I have nothing else to offer you.

Try this:

The bible cannot be the word of a perfect god. It is too flawed. It contains errors of science and history, unfulfilled prophecies, unkept promises and internal contradictions. If it isn't the word of a perfect god, then it is not what it claims to be. The only other possibility is that it's mythology. It's a pretty simple analysis. And that conclusion is supported by the fact that it resembles many other other mythologies.

That is unassailable reason. That would convince anybody amenable to reason. Did it have any effect on you? Of course, not. You reject it out of hand because it challenges your dogma.

You cannot prove to a man that which he has an immense stake in not believing.

Fennario

#5956 Feb 22, 2011
i am they wrote:
It's a shame how atheism is probably going to up our federal budget
More atheism in America would have prevented George Bush from becoming president. You can't afford his four trillion dollar (first decade) tax cuts for the wealthy, nor his three trillion dollar crusade and inquisition in Iraq, which is about half of your deficit right there:

"Tax Returns: A Comprehensive Assessment of the Bush Administration's Record on Cutting Taxes"
http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm...

The true cost of the Iraq war:$3 trillion and beyond
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/...

"America's Holy Crusade against the Muslim World."
http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php...

O holy!
atheism is dying

Miami, FL

#5957 Feb 22, 2011
<quoted text>
We don't hate Christians. We hate religion bleeding into our lives. We hate the embarrassment of reading about your superstitions on the coins. We hate that your churches don't pay the same taxes as the rest of the business on the block. We hate that you hold up stem cell research based on ancient goatherd superstition. We hate seeing our courts defaced with protohistoric homage to a primitive and cruel god.
After we remove your fairy tales form our coins, oaths, pledge, law books, text books, public buildings and monuments, I doubt most of us will ever think about you again. You don't here us commenting on the Druids, do you? When you're as invisible in our lives as they are, then we will have freedom from religion.
You don't need to understand or approve. Your consent would be appreciated, but it is neither expected nor needed.
This is funny because it's not going to happen.

Fennario

#5958 Feb 22, 2011
BTW, let me tell you what seven trillion dollars in national debt actually costs a citizen. You know that you don't get a bill for your share of the seven trillion, which is about seven trillion (7 000 000 000 000) divided by about three hundred and ten million (310 000 000)= about $22,500 per man, woman and child in America, or about $39,000 per tax payer (using a figure of 180 000 000 tax payers).

No, you don't get a bill for that. But you do pay the interest every year, which, at about 5%, is about 350 billion dollars a year (350 000 000 000), or about $1130 per American and about $1950 per tax payer. That you actually do pay.

But instead of getting roads or schools or hospitals or whatever one could buy with that money, it all goes to lenders, which include foreign governments, like China's. It can be used to build roads and schools there instead.

If you were willing to do without those amenities, you could have put those $1950 ($3900 if you have two earners and tax payers in the family) in your pocket.

That's your actual out-of-pocket loss EVERY YEAR for JUST the seven billion. Your deficit is actually closer to double that, and your share of servicing it is commensurate.

Oh - and this never stops, EVER. Your children will inherit this debt and continue servicing it as soon as they are old enough. Congratulations!

Disclaimer: the full three trillion for the Iraqi was has not been assessed yet. It's actually more like one trillion so far: http://costofwar.com/en/ , making the cost of Bush to date more like five trillion than seven. The extra two trillion will be assessed in the future, much in paying for treating damaged veterans. So, you can multiply the $1950 and $3900 figure by 5/7 to get a better picture of the price today, which comes to $1400 and $2800 for one and two income families respectively in 2011. Remember - this is not your annual waste. This is the annual wastage for just those two expenses.

Fennario

#5959 Feb 22, 2011
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
I see you cannot get your do-nothing gawd to show up.
A very shrewd move for a god that wants to be known and adored, wouldn't you agree? I should have tried that with my children : never showing up. What greater love is possible?

Fennario

#5960 Feb 22, 2011
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
At least your grandchildren will be more educated on reality. And yes, atheism is growing. From 2% in the early nieties to 16% in 2000. When I came to this forum there were maybe 4 or 5 atheists that posted here. Now look! You should be very scared. Knowledge and reason will win over your pathetic myths in the end. It's only a matter of time.
When I first started advocating atheism publicly, I was always on the defensive in any setting. The momentum has changed. These theists are on the defensive now. Now it is we calling them immoral and unfit rather than the other way around. This very conversation embodies that. Prove there is no god? WTF for? No, you (theists) prove there is one. We're unfit to be little league coaches and teachers? GFY, you pedophile apologist. Atheism is a cancer? Dogma is cancer. And on it goes.

Fennario

#5961 Feb 22, 2011
i am they wrote:
INvisible pink unicorns? Silly, those don't exist.
:)

We know.

Guess what else doesn't exist? Come on - guess!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Subduction Zone 74,878
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 1 hr Into The Night 6,087
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 6 hr Subduction Zone 130
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 7 hr Regolith Based Li... 32,065
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 7 hr John 4,952
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 10 hr Eagle 12 - 4,052
News Why do public atheists have to behave like such... Jun 21 Eagle 12 - 4
More from around the web