First Public Atheist Monument To Go U...

First Public Atheist Monument To Go Up In U.S.

There are 12 comments on the The Huffington Post story from May 31, 2013, titled First Public Atheist Monument To Go Up In U.S.. In it, The Huffington Post reports that:

The first atheist monument on public land will go up in Starke, Fla. in June. The monument is under construction, but Ken Loukinen, director of regional operations for American Atheists and the monument's designer, provided The Huffington Post with a rendering of the plans for the piece.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Huffington Post.

Since: Sep 10

Earth

#1 May 31, 2013
How many HOURS before some christard vandalizes it?

“you must not give faith”

Since: Jul 12

Leicester, UK

#2 Jun 1, 2013
How many hours before some christard says this shows that atheism is a religion?

I don't know it's most likly already happened, but I do know what this should say. If you do not what atheist monument the first amendment says you must stop building religious monument's with tax money.
Rich

United States

#3 Jun 1, 2013
Clearly you two cannot wait for someone to vandalize your monument so you can use the act to smear all religious people.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#4 Jun 2, 2013
I just don't get this, but meh, if it makes some of us feel better about opposing the popular opinion, I guess it doesn't hurt.

Rich, we don't need such a thing to happen, religious people smear themselves all the time, and display their idiotic notions for the world to witness.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#5 Jun 2, 2013
Our greatest monument will be when religion is no longer a force in this world.
Rich

United States

#6 Jun 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
I just don't get this, but meh, if it makes some of us feel better about opposing the popular opinion, I guess it doesn't hurt.
Rich, we don't need such a thing to happen, religious people smear themselves all the time, and display their idiotic notions for the world to witness.
I was talking about the wishes of the two previous posters but apparently you too paint all with the same brush
or heres an idea

Lumberton, NC

#7 Jun 2, 2013
how about forgetting about both statues and donate the money to charity? seems better then either side building monuments like some passive agressive show of oneupsmanship that plagues this debate.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#8 Jun 2, 2013
or heres an idea wrote:
how about forgetting about both statues and donate the money to charity? seems better then either side building monuments like some passive agressive show of oneupsmanship that plagues this debate.
I would agree but one might say that of almost anything. Whenever any money is spent it could have gone to charity instead.

I don't necessarily agree with monuments expressing disbelief, but dissent is sometimes necessary to combat prejudice or defend secular society.

http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/ghwbush.h...

Nightserf is a Topix contributor who pointed out that 'atheist' had negative connotations in dictionary definitions as recently as the 1980s. Words like 'immoral' or 'wicked' were used as part of the definitions. Today, we have moved-on...
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/atheist
I hope, yet many contributors to Topix still see non-believers unduly negatively.

Perhaps a couple of monuments stops accusations of indifference or apathy.
Amused

Pinehurst, MA

#9 Jun 5, 2013
Just curious, what does a monument to nothing look like? The only thing that unites atheists is doubt in the existence of gods. What does a monument to disbelief look like?

I can see the meetings to discuss the design. I envision Jerry Seinfeld and George Costanza pitching the idea to a room full of suits. "It's a monument about nothing. Get it?"
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#10 Jun 5, 2013
http://davlat.uz/en/press/society/12723
Atheism is a negative term. Humanism can be seen as a positive concept by non-believers. Some embrace the term atheist, seeing it best to make atheism acceptable. Other non-believers see it as better to offer a positive worldview free of religious faith and superstition. It seems to be a question of what is best: undermining negative views of atheism, or omitting religion/atheism/agnosticism and other essentially religious terms altogether. It's arguably counter-productive to indulge in theological debate of those terms when non-believers have no need for them.
Siro

Ashfield, Australia

#11 Jun 18, 2013
A monument to atheism???
Another public toilet...yeah woop-de-doo....

Jackson, MO

#12 Jun 18, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>I would agree but one might say that of almost anything. Whenever any money is spent it could have gone to charity instead.
I don't necessarily agree with monuments expressing disbelief, but dissent is sometimes necessary to combat prejudice or defend secular society.
http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/ghwbush.h...
Nightserf is a Topix contributor who pointed out that 'atheist' had negative connotations in dictionary definitions as recently as the 1980s. Words like 'immoral' or 'wicked' were used as part of the definitions. Today, we have moved-on...
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/atheist
I hope, yet many contributors to Topix still see non-believers unduly negatively.
Perhaps a couple of monuments stops accusations of indifference or apathy.
Unfortunately, we haven't moved on as much as you think :(
I clicked your dictionary link and scrolled down to read examples of sentences with atheism in them, and all but the first served to show that atheists aren't really atheists when push comes to shove. This sort of shallow, pathetic thinking really angers me!!

Bertrand Russell says it best near the end of this interview:
http://youtu.be/asvg5Kf97Hw...

As for the overall discussion about a monument to atheism, I think anything we do to raise awareness for education and rationalism is important. Religious people have forced their views on us for too long, and I support any public display that rejects their oppressive agendas.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 15 min Simon 61,309
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 1 hr Subduction Zone 2,683
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 6 hr Aura Mytha 28,316
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Fri IB DaMann 5,970
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Wed Eagle 12 452
Deconversion Mar 20 Eagle 12 138
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) Mar 18 Eagle 12 2,043
More from around the web