Atheists celebrate marriage without religion

Jul 5, 2013 Full story: The Columbus Dispatch 22

During their college years, Alisha Hunt and Jake Winslow both turned away from the religious beliefs they held while growing up.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“My hand is over my crotch.”

Since: Jan 10

It's time to put it to use

#1 Jul 5, 2013
Marriage without religion is a good thing. Atheist women don't have to worry about being sinful because some God told them to slave themselves to their husbands.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#2 Jul 5, 2013
http://www.humanism-scotland.org.uk/content/w...

http://hfofs.co.uk/

In the USA, it goes a bit peculiar...
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/201...
with humanist celebrants being perceived as 'ordained'.

This seems to be a misunderstanding by the article writer, quote, "Because the Humanist Society is a religious organization associated with the American Humanist Association, they are considered a valid marrying entity in the state."

It is important to realise that humanists (in my experience anyway) don't see themselves as religious, much less 'ordained'. Legal recognition as a 'religious organisation' is necessary due to the antiquated and superstitious language in which laws have been traditionally framed. There is a similar problem in the EU and even in Scotland regarding some legislation.

Calling a humanist religious or a celebrant 'ordained' usually indicates a degree of ignorance about what humanism is...
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/humanism
I think "A system of thought that rejects religious beliefs and centers on humans and their values, capacities, and worth" is a good description that almost all humanists would recognise and accept.

Atheism, secularism and agnosticism are essentially religious terms in that they refer to a person in relation to religion or god(s).
Image

Springfield, MO

#3 Jul 5, 2013
Did you see the comment below the article that said that atheists are intellectually bankrupt?

Lol!

I've heard a lot of silly things, but "intellectually" bankrupt? ALL WE DO IS PROMOTE INTELLIGENCE AND EDUCATION!!

I am SO SICK of being misunderstood and misinterpreted. If religious people hate me because I'm an atheist, that's FINE, but get the facts first and hate me for what I REALLY stand for, not for blatant lies which are polar opposite of what I am.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#4 Jul 5, 2013
Image wrote:
Did you see the comment below the article that said that atheists are intellectually bankrupt?
Lol!
I've heard a lot of silly things, but "intellectually" bankrupt? ALL WE DO IS PROMOTE INTELLIGENCE AND EDUCATION!!
I am SO SICK of being misunderstood and misinterpreted. If religious people hate me because I'm an atheist, that's FINE, but get the facts first and hate me for what I REALLY stand for, not for blatant lies which are polar opposite of what I am.
Of course we're intellectually bankrupt in the eyes of the overly religious. We're intellectually bankrupt simply because we can't accept willful ignorance, and the philosophical musings that promote it, as anything remotely resembling an intellectual pursuit.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#5 Jul 6, 2013
We have had religion free marriage for years in Sweden
WSG

Pickerington, OH

#6 Jul 6, 2013
AS to all the comments -
"Religion" is a set of beliefs. Humanists, secularists, atheists, Progressives and Radicals of every stripe all have beliefs - codes written or not that we live by so please get a grip.
Disagreeing with any of the above groups or individuals is NOT hate. But of course if you can not defend your belief system with anything other than name calling and pejoratives then it is time to examine the image in your mirror.
IF you understand any of modern physics - of the Earth or Universe, if you have even the slightest grasp of modern biology - DNA, etc., if you have studied history in any detail then to assert, with a straight face, that what we see before us every morning when the sun rises is some result of a long string of accidents ? THat requires a level of arrogance and willful blindness of which I can not grasp.
Much of what passes for modern "education"is not intelligent nor wise.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#7 Jul 6, 2013
WSG wrote:
AS to all the comments -
"Religion" is a set of beliefs. Humanists, secularists, atheists, Progressives and Radicals of every stripe all have beliefs - codes written or not that we live by so please get a grip.
Religious beliefs have no proof. To be an atheists is simply to reject that which is without proof.
So you are wrong to equate the two.

But what can we expect from silly agnostics, who are too lazy to study the subject with any depth and wish to pass judgment on all with their paintbrush of ignorance.
WSG

Pickerington, OH

#8 Jul 6, 2013
"Religious beliefs have no proof. To be an atheists is simply to reject that which is without proof.
So you are wrong to equate the two."
CAN YOU prove that there is no God ? So you BELIEVE there is NO GOD.
UNcaused first cause - ring a bell?
Do not make assumptions, please, about what I believe or not.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#9 Jul 6, 2013
WSG wrote:
"Religious beliefs have no proof. To be an atheists is simply to reject that which is without proof.
So you are wrong to equate the two."
CAN YOU prove that there is no God ? So you BELIEVE there is NO GOD.
UNcaused first cause - ring a bell?
Do not make assumptions, please, about what I believe or not.
It is your claim that god is real, you must take the responsibility to prove it, not the other way around.

If I accuse you of murder, I must prove it, you aren't guilty until proven innocent, does this make sense to you?

Please study the "burden of proof"
WSG

Pickerington, OH

#10 Jul 6, 2013
To be an atheists is simply to reject that which is without proof.
Enough with the straw man arguments. Can you prove that God does NOT exist ?
I am NOT the one taking the attheist position and by my first post I conclude after MUCH scientific observation that the Universe, Earth, and Mankind are not here by accident.
Please calculate the odds of human DNA evolving to our current state in as short a period as 6 billion years. The number is fantastically small as to be absolute zero.
FYI 6 billion years is a VERY LONG time in human perspective. But by God's clock 6 Billion years maybe the turning of a season......
WSG

Pickerington, OH

#12 Jul 6, 2013
"We are the INEVITABLE result of chemistry and time. Your unfortunate belief system is the result of having enough science education to make you gasp at the wonder of it all, but nowhere near enough education to understand why it is what it is. I suggest that until you DO, if ever, obtain that missing education that you show some respect to those WITH the requisite education and intellect to understand the cosmos. "
WOW ! What arrogance !! INevitable ? REALLY ?? I'm am in my sixth decade and besides a university degree and 3 plus decades of applied science work I have read about an hour a day for decades - so please take your assumptions and well - I'll be polite.
So you "understand the cosmos?" Such an assertion is so willfully ignorant of the sheer vastness of said cosmos - so you "understand" what you have not seen and never will see ? You understand what was here BEFORE the "Big Bang" - why that event happened and all that has transpired since ? I'd say you are a best a fool. But I will tip my hat to your obviously superior intellect...... and disturb your echo chamber no longer.
Reasoning with "true believers" is waste of oxygen. Good evening.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#13 Jul 7, 2013
WSG wrote:
To be an atheists is simply to reject that which is without proof.
Enough with the straw man arguments. Can you prove that God does NOT exist ?
I am NOT the one taking the attheist position and by my first post I conclude after MUCH scientific observation that the Universe, Earth, and Mankind are not here by accident.
Please calculate the odds of human DNA evolving to our current state in as short a period as 6 billion years. The number is fantastically small as to be absolute zero.
FYI 6 billion years is a VERY LONG time in human perspective. But by God's clock 6 Billion years maybe the turning of a season......
This is not a strawman argument, this is logical argument:

It is your claim that god is real, you must take the responsibility to prove it, not the other way around.

If I accuse you of murder, I must prove it, you aren't guilty until proven innocent, does this make sense to you?

Please study the "burden of proof"

If you cannot understand this second time around, you are either very ignorant or mentally ill.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#14 Jul 7, 2013
WSG wrote:
"We are the INEVITABLE result of chemistry and time. Your unfortunate belief system is the result of having enough science education to make you gasp at the wonder of it all, but nowhere near enough education to understand why it is what it is. I suggest that until you DO, if ever, obtain that missing education that you show some respect to those WITH the requisite education and intellect to understand the cosmos. "
WOW ! What arrogance !! INevitable ? REALLY ?? I'm am in my sixth decade and besides a university degree and 3 plus decades of applied science work I have read about an hour a day for decades - so please take your assumptions and well - I'll be polite.
So you "understand the cosmos?" Such an assertion is so willfully ignorant of the sheer vastness of said cosmos - so you "understand" what you have not seen and never will see ? You understand what was here BEFORE the "Big Bang" - why that event happened and all that has transpired since ? I'd say you are a best a fool. But I will tip my hat to your obviously superior intellect...... and disturb your echo chamber no longer.
Reasoning with "true believers" is waste of oxygen. Good evening.
You are rambling. Instead of being a coward, just be honest and provide evidence that god is real.

Do this and you won't have to lie to us about god anymore...

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#15 Jul 7, 2013
WSG wrote:
You understand what was here BEFORE the "Big Bang" - why that event happened and all that has transpired since ? I'd say you are a best a fool.
There is no such thing as "before the big bang" because the big bang contains the dimensions of space and time.

This is what happens when scientifically ignorant people who are religious try and defend their stupid beliefs without understanding what they are arguing against...

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#16 Jul 8, 2013
WSG wrote:
AS to all the comments -
"Religion" is a set of beliefs. Humanists, secularists, atheists, Progressives and Radicals of every stripe all have beliefs - codes written or not that we live by so please get a grip.
Disagreeing with any of the above groups or individuals is NOT hate. But of course if you can not defend your belief system with anything other than name calling and pejoratives then it is time to examine the image in your mirror.
IF you understand any of modern physics - of the Earth or Universe, if you have even the slightest grasp of modern biology - DNA, etc., if you have studied history in any detail then to assert, with a straight face, that what we see before us every morning when the sun rises is some result of a long string of accidents ? THat requires a level of arrogance and willful blindness of which I can not grasp.
Much of what passes for modern "education"is not intelligent nor wise.
Actually what we see every morning when the sun rises is a result of a long string of amazing events, and awesome survival instincts.
Amused

Clinton, MA

#17 Jul 16, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
This is not a strawman argument, this is logical argument:
...
You are arguing logic with someone who believes the world is the way it is because a talking snake talked a woman made from a male rib into eating a piece of magical fruit. And who further believes that the eating of the fruit so enraged an invisible man in the sky that he cursed all mankind, then decided to give humanity a break by fathering himself as his own child in order to kill himself as a sacrifice to himself to appease his anger. And that everyone who doesn't believe this story will be tortured forever by order of the invisible man who loves them.

The phrase "Exercise in futility" comes to mind.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#18 Jul 16, 2013
WSG wrote:
AS to all the comments -
"Religion" is a set of beliefs. Humanists, secularists, atheists, Progressives and Radicals of every stripe all have beliefs - codes written or not that we live by so please get a grip.
No, religion is a set of beliefs about the supernatural. For example, mathematics is a set of beliefs, but is not a religion because it is not a set of beliefs about the supernatural. Christianity *is* a set of beliefs about the supernatural, so it *is* a religion.\
Disagreeing with any of the above groups or individuals is NOT hate. But of course if you can not defend your belief system with anything other than name calling and pejoratives then it is time to examine the image in your mirror.
Correct. Simply disagreeing is not hatred. What *is* hatred is the belief that any who disagree are condemned to eternal torture.
IF you understand any of modern physics - of the Earth or Universe, if you have even the slightest grasp of modern biology - DNA, etc., if you have studied history in any detail then to assert, with a straight face, that what we see before us every morning when the sun rises is some result of a long string of accidents ? THat requires a level of arrogance and willful blindness of which I can not grasp.
No, it is a long series of objects following the non-random laws of physics. No deity is required, but it is NOT an accident (accidents require a mentality of purpose).
Much of what passes for modern "education"is not intelligent nor wise.
Which has always been the case throughout history. At least the superstitious component has decreased some for some people.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#19 Jul 16, 2013
WSG wrote:
To be an atheists is simply to reject that which is without proof.
Enough with the straw man arguments. Can you prove that God does NOT exist ?
The burden of proof here, as always, is on the one making the positive existence statement. Without evidence of existence, the default position is non-existence.
I am NOT the one taking the attheist position and by my first post I conclude after MUCH scientific observation that the Universe, Earth, and Mankind are not here by accident.
The opposite of planned is not accidental.
Please calculate the odds of human DNA evolving to our current state in as short a period as 6 billion years. The number is fantastically small as to be absolute zero.
Because of the interconnectedness of the various chemicals involved, this is a calculation that cannot be done with any accuracy at all. All attempts I have seen make the (false) assumption that various pieces are probabilistically independent. We *know* that isn't the case and that this gives an estimate of the probability that is *way* too small.
FYI 6 billion years is a VERY LONG time in human perspective. But by God's clock 6 Billion years maybe the turning of a season......
You have yet to prove there is a God.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#20 Jul 16, 2013
WSG wrote:
WOW ! What arrogance !! INevitable ? REALLY ?? I'm am in my sixth decade and besides a university degree and 3 plus decades of applied science work I have read about an hour a day for decades - so please take your assumptions and well - I'll be polite.
So you have a BS and some on-the-job training. Not particularly impressive.
So you "understand the cosmos?" Such an assertion is so willfully ignorant of the sheer vastness of said cosmos - so you "understand" what you have not seen and never will see ? You understand what was here BEFORE the "Big Bang" - why that event happened and all that has transpired since ? I'd say you are a best a fool. But I will tip my hat to your obviously superior intellect...... and disturb your echo chamber no longer.
Reasoning with "true believers" is waste of oxygen. Good evening.
We do not have to understand *everything* in order to understand *something*. What we *do* understand is that phrases like 'before the Big Bang' are, at best, problematical. In classical general relativity there *is* no 'before the Big bang': time cannot be extended any further back than the Big Bang. If you include quantum effects, it is possible to have time before the BB, but even then it is not required.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#21 Jul 16, 2013
Lord Stannis wrote:
<quoted text>We are the INEVITABLE result of chemistry and time. Your unfortunate belief system is the result of having enough science education to make you gasp at the wonder of it all, but nowhere near enough education to understand why it is what it is. I suggest that until you DO, if ever, obtain that missing education that you show some respect to those WITH the requisite education and intellect to understand the cosmos.
it is certainly not established that we are an inevitable result of chemistry and time. That said, the speed at which life arose on Earth after it had cooled enough is evidence that life is fairly easy under the correct circumstances (right chemistry, heating, etc). Once life starts, and as long as the atmosphere holds and the heat source is stable (relatively), it seems the increasing complexity of organisms is standard (modeling we have done). So the development of intelligence is also likely, although the procaryotic/eucaryotic boundary does seem difficult to cross. One question we have not answered is how long intelligent life *lasts*.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Patrick 703
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Rosa_Winkel 228,566
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 6 hr Dally Mama 5,587
Heaven 8 hr susanblange 2
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 10 hr Patrick 7
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 10 hr Patrick 152
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) 18 hr Patrick 140

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE