Arkansas Society of Freethinkers Denies "War on Christmas" Charge

There are 20 comments on the Dec 5, 2012, arkansasmatters.com story titled Arkansas Society of Freethinkers Denies "War on Christmas" Charge. In it, arkansasmatters.com reports that:

The Arkansas Society of Freethinkers today rejected the claim that it is making war on Christmas.

"Those who stand up for the rights of children to be free from coercion aren't making war either on religion or Christmas," said ASF spokesperson LeeWood Thomas. "Rather, this is a case of a church forming an alliance with local government to violate religious freedom. So we in the Arkansas Society of Freethinkers feel compelled to take a stand on behalf of the parents under the U.S. Constitution."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at arkansasmatters.com.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#122 Dec 7, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, but the poster to whom I was responding resides in
Atlanta, GA. That means the he is in no way affected by a school in Little Rock, AR deciding to offer a field trip for students to attend a local church and watch a Charlie Brown play about Christmas.
The long and the short of it is that it's none of his damn business. And none of yours either unless you live in Arkansas.
....
Unless Arkansas has recently ceded from the U.S. then it is my concern. Try reading the 14th Amendment section on equal protections.
Canon

Texarkana, TX

#123 Dec 7, 2012
MrDesoto1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hint: Calling it honestly and accurately would aid your credibility and support your position. Being deceitful does the opposite. Furthermore, doesn't deliberately lying constitute a violation of one of your Ten (out of the 600 plus) favorite Commandments?
"deliberately lying"...really? Lying about what? I guess I missed that one! Unless you are calling a different view as "deliberately lying"...which is way off base.
Canon

Texarkana, TX

#124 Dec 7, 2012
MrDesoto1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me guess - Hom Skooled are ya?
Nope, bonafied Arkansas educated! Thank ya very much!

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#125 Dec 7, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Residency is a key issue. As I've previously stated, we are a union of free and independent states. Laws vary from state to state. If you want to have voice about what occurs in Arkansas, then you must be a resident.
If you don't live here, then this issue is none of your damn business and you're just being a troll looking for something to whine about.
Quite the contrary! Arkansas is still part of these United States, and receives quite a lot of Federal funding. And where does this money come from. Answer: Taxpayers from other States.

So, as long as AR continues to receive and spend United States taxpayers' tax dollars, then, the citizens of the United State of Arkansas can expect some scrutiny from any or all of the citizens of all of the United States of America.

http://stonesoup.wordpress.com/2011/06/07/fed...
Canon

Texarkana, TX

#126 Dec 7, 2012
MrDesoto1 wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I have made no assertions of any "world created by GOD". You have made that positive assertion. Now it's incumbent on You, not Me, to offer the proof. And this time try not to be so silly as to ask me or anyone to prove a negative.
However, you've made it clear you believe no such God exists, I simply asked the same question to you. Same thing. Regardless I am sure you've heard enough to know Christianity involves faith....some reject it. It's an indivudual choice. It is thru faith that you can have an intimate/personal relationship with God thru his son Jesus Christ. And no, I do not mean that as evidence as you would call it...that's why it is faith.
Canon

Texarkana, TX

#127 Dec 7, 2012
...also this soltice stuff seems very much like worshiping the elements.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#128 Dec 7, 2012
Canon wrote:
<quoted text>
However, you've made it clear you believe no such God exists, I simply asked the same question to you. Same thing. Regardless I am sure you've heard enough to know Christianity involves faith....some reject it. It's an indivudual choice. It is thru faith that you can have an intimate/personal relationship with God thru his son Jesus Christ. And no, I do not mean that as evidence as you would call it...that's why it is faith.
No, it's not exactly the same thing, but I can understand why it's hard for you to see the difference.

If I say "Vishnu created the world" what is your initial gut reaction? I'm guessing it would be something like "yeah, right, prove it". And it wouldn't be that you actively maintain a belief that Vishnu doesn't exist. It's more that you simply brush the statement aside like you brush aside the idea that garden gnomes and fire-breathing dragons are real.

I feel exactly the same when someone says Vishnu is real as I do when someone says Jehovah is real ... or Thor ... or garden faeries ... or ???. Provide real, independently verifiable evidence and I'll consider it.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#129 Dec 7, 2012
Canon wrote:
<quoted text>
Lying about what? I guess I missed that one!
Canon wrote:
<quoted text>
There cannot be freedom from religion for even atheisism is a religion.... interesting huh?
There's the answer to your question in the first quote. You have two lies in one sentence in the second quote.

"interesting huh?" Did you really miss those?

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#130 Dec 7, 2012
Canon wrote:
<quoted text>
Lying about what? I guess I missed that one!
Canon wrote:
...also this soltice stuff seems very much like worshiping the elements.
And there is your Third Lie itmemized for you. Atheists don't worship.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#131 Dec 7, 2012
Canon wrote:
...also this soltice stuff seems very much like worshiping the elements.
It used to be. Winter Solstice celebrations have been around for thousands of years. People generally don't need too much of a reason to want to party.

But I'm more concerned that your education didn't include understanding of basic celestial mechanics like what the equinoxes and solstices are. Arkansas school system you say?

Maybe you should spend less time worrying about what plays you children get to go see and more time worrying about the quality of you sciences education. America is slowly loosing our edge on technology and science innovation to Asian countries.

That should concern you a whole lot more than Charlie Brown.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#132 Dec 7, 2012
Canon wrote:
<quoted text>
However, you've made it clear you believe no such God exists, I simply asked the same question to you. Same thing. Regardless I am sure you've heard enough to know Christianity involves faith....some reject it. It's an indivudual choice. It is thru faith that you can have an intimate/personal relationship with God thru his son Jesus Christ. And no, I do not mean that as evidence as you would call it...that's why it is faith.
And there is your Fouth Lie: I have never stated, nor "made it clear" that "no such God exists".
guest

United States

#133 Dec 7, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
Unless Arkansas has recently ceded from the U.S. then it is my concern. Try reading the 14th Amendment section on equal protections.
What occurs in Arkansas is no more your business than what occurs in Georgia is mine. Again, our nation is a union of free and independent states. Look it up and then let that sink in for awhile.

If you want to have a say in what goes on in Arkansas, then move here. Otherwise you're poking your nose in where it doesn't belong.

As far as the 14th Amendment goes, there was no violation here as students could opt out if they didn't want to attend.

And not only that, no one appointed you to enforce the provisions of the 14th Amendment. You're just being an arrogant prick.
guest

United States

#134 Dec 7, 2012
MrDesoto1 wrote:
Quite the contrary! Arkansas is still part of these United States, and receives quite a lot of Federal funding. And where does this money come from. Answer: Taxpayers from other States.
BFD. Arkansas is a free and independent state. People from one state have no jurisdiction over the people of another. Again, we are not one monolith controlled by a handful of people in DC. Maybe you should take a close look at the 10th Amendment.

If you don't like the fact that the federal government sends your tax dollars to other states, then stop giving them your money. But that in now way entitles you to make decisions regarding how Arkansas operates it schools, or what field trips a local school decides are appropriate for its students.

And yet again, this is nothing more than a tempest in a teapot. There was no violation of law, constitutional or otherwise. And even if there were, you are not charged with enforcing the law. You're nothing but an internet troll who found something to whine and bitch about because you don't think there should be any public dispaly of religion.

Like I told you before, too f*cking bad. That's the way it is.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#135 Dec 7, 2012
Canon wrote:
<quoted text>
.....isn't the internet great?
Yes, Speaking of the internet.....Enjoy all 4 parts!

The Onion's Extremely Accurate History of the Internet, Part 1:—Humanity’s Terrible Past: 50,000 Years Without WiFi

http://screen.yahoo.com/onions-extremely-accu...

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#136 Dec 7, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
What occurs in Arkansas is no more your business than what occurs in Georgia is mine. Again, our nation is a union of free and independent states. Look it up and then let that sink in for awhile.
If you want to have a say in what goes on in Arkansas, then move here. Otherwise you're poking your nose in where it doesn't belong.
As far as the 14th Amendment goes, there was no violation here as students could opt out if they didn't want to attend.
And not only that, no one appointed you to enforce the provisions of the 14th Amendment. You're just being an arrogant prick.
You're not making any sense. Why don't you go read the 14th BEFORE you comment.

Don't tell me, let me guess -- Arkansas education system for you too.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#137 Dec 7, 2012
Canon wrote:
...also this soltice stuff seems very much like worshiping the elements.
Why worship at all?
Canon

Texarkana, TX

#138 Dec 7, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's not exactly the same thing, but I can understand why it's hard for you to see the difference.
If I say "Vishnu created the world" what is your initial gut reaction? I'm guessing it would be something like "yeah, right, prove it". And it wouldn't be that you actively maintain a belief that Vishnu doesn't exist. It's more that you simply brush the statement aside like you brush aside the idea that garden gnomes and fire-breathing dragons are real.
I feel exactly the same when someone says Vishnu is real as I do when someone says Jehovah is real ... or Thor ... or garden faeries ... or ???. Provide real, independently verifiable evidence and I'll consider it.
Hence the reason it's called "faith".
Canon

Texarkana, TX

#139 Dec 7, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
It used to be. Winter Solstice celebrations have been around for thousands of years. People generally don't need too much of a reason to want to party.
But I'm more concerned that your education didn't include understanding of basic celestial mechanics like what the equinoxes and solstices are. Arkansas school system you say?
Maybe you should spend less time worrying about what plays you children get to go see and more time worrying about the quality of you sciences education. America is slowly loosing our edge on technology and science innovation to Asian countries.
That should concern you a whole lot more than Charlie Brown.
You're a hoot! Giggles!:)
Canon

Texarkana, TX

#140 Dec 7, 2012
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Why worship at all?
Worship is meaningless unless you worship the one true living God.
Canon

Texarkana, TX

#141 Dec 7, 2012
MrDesoto1 wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
There's the answer to your question in the first quote. You have two lies in one sentence in the second quote.
"interesting huh?" Did you really miss those?
You speak in riddles....this is fun!

To disagree with you is not lying, good try tho! Didn't mean to ruffles your feathers...that much!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 34 min Uncle Sam 238,217
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 3 hr Freebird USA 9,341
News Confessions of a black atheist 4 hr audy17 417
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 4 hr Thinking 6,108
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr Thinking 2,064
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 hr Denisova 18,697
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 12 hr prophecydotorg 7,408
More from around the web