Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11177 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

KJV

United States

#11444 Jan 16, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>Not true at all. Have you ever seen a color wheel? At what point exactly, does green become blue?
http://www.webdesign.org/img_articles/15053/C...

That's how evolution works. The difference between each element and its predecessor is minute. But over many generations, blue could become red.
There is a point where the shade of blue stops and the shade of green starts.

Say you are ten feet from a brick wall and every second to move half way to the wall. When do to touch the wall?
KJV

United States

#11445 Jan 16, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>You know less about evolution than even I gave you credit for.
Tell it to Berkeley's evolution team.

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/arti...

Or the Russians working on the silver fox experiment longer then you've been alive.
KJV

United States

#11446 Jan 16, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>And this is where your reasoning goes wrong. Look at my penny analogy. What is the 'line in the sand' where the amount of money in the pile goes from 'not a lot' to 'a lot'? The point is that there *isn't* such a line. The transition is gradual. In exactly the same way, each generation to the next would be 'micro-evolution'. There is no 'Big Jump' between any two generations. Where we draw the line is *our* choice for ease of language and not a part of the actual process.

[QUOTE]Again the only data on evolution that's been documented that I have seen has been the simple turning on or off genes. In lab creation of new genes ( not in nature ) and a test tube new DNA (again not in nature).
"

Gene duplication is quite common. We have seen it in action in plants and seen the effects in animals (the globin family of proteins, for example).
Yes but show me and the world the new DNA created in nature.( there is none documented to date )
KJV

United States

#11447 Jan 16, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>read and learn:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar...
I've read that, now where is the new DNA created in nature? Still none.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#11448 Jan 16, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes turning on and off genes that are all ready there is micro evolution and yes that does take place. No new DNA created. No changing from one kind of animal to another.
Here is some fun stuff for ya.
http://cleverbot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/playlist...
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#11449 Jan 17, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Basically if you grovel before their deity enough then he won't punish you with eternal torment, and they call this "salvation."
It's a psychotic mythology.
Nicely put. Its an amoral. No one with any principles who has thought it through, could accept such an absurd propisition as heaven and hell.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#11450 Jan 17, 2013
That's because bollocks exist whilst your god does not.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
One has nothing to do with the other.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#11451 Jan 17, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Nicely put. Its an amoral. No one with any principles who has thought it through, could accept such an absurd propisition as heaven and hell.
No, it's immoral. Science is amoral.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#11452 Jan 17, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
I've read that, now where is the new DNA created in nature? Still none.
Several of those papers showed exactly that. It is common in plants and less common in animals.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#11453 Jan 17, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell it to Berkeley's evolution team.
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/arti...
Or the Russians working on the silver fox experiment longer then you've been alive.
It's called an arbitrary label, since very few people can ever determine any real defining line between species, when a species becomes a completely different one is often just considered when they can no longer breed with the one referenced. The more we fill in the taxonomic tree, using the fossil record and genetics, the blurrier the lines between species get. The human line is so difficult to tell where one species ends and the next begins that they are having a hard time figuring out the specific order without utilizing genetics.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#11454 Jan 17, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes but show me and the world the new DNA created in nature.( there is none documented to date )
Are you really that stupid. "New World" DNA cannot occur naturally, it comes from evolved DNA, primitive or "Old World" DNA, and is the result of natural selection.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#11455 Jan 17, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a point where the shade of blue stops and the shade of green starts.
Wrong. Blue and green are rather vague concepts, so there is certainly NOT a single point where things are blue on one side and green on the other.
Say you are ten feet from a brick wall and every second to move half way to the wall. When do to touch the wall?
We aren't talking about walls or Zeno's paradoxes. We are talking about things like species and colors which have fuzzy boundaries.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#11456 Jan 17, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong. Blue and green are rather vague concepts, so there is certainly NOT a single point where things are blue on one side and green on the other.

[QUOTE]Say you are ten feet from a brick wall and every second to move half way to the wall. When do to touch the wall?
"

We aren't talking about walls or Zeno's paradoxes. We are talking about things like species and colors which have fuzzy boundaries.
See:

http://i.imgur.com/xWpvw.jpg

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#11457 Jan 17, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
See:
The last letter is red, where's the blue in there?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#11458 Jan 17, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
See:
A very nice link.

OK, KJV....where *exactly* did the letters in that link stop being red? What *exact* letter was the first blue one?
KJV

United States

#11461 Jan 17, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong. Blue and green are rather vague concepts, so there is certainly NOT a single point where things are blue on one side and green on the other.

[QUOTE]Say you are ten feet from a brick wall and every second to move half way to the wall. When do to touch the wall?
"

That's not to say an actual line is not there. It just that no one is willing to draw it. There is a point where one kind is not the same as its parents on a evolution time line to say.
KJV

United States

#11462 Jan 17, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>A very nice link.

OK, KJV....where *exactly* did the letters in that link stop being red? What *exact* letter was the first blue one?
The word "Post"

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#11463 Jan 17, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"New World" DNA cannot occur naturally"
But it must have, for us to be here right?
Some where in nature new DNA was getting created all over the place for all those different life forms that once lived and live today both plant and animal to have evolved from one life source.
Gah, you really are stupid. Did you only read part of what I posted and ran with it? Finish reading it, it was one of my shorter posts too. Lazy bum.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#11464 Jan 17, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
The word "Post"
Nope, that's 7d1c51, or in other words, 125 red, 28 green, and 81 blue. Each number is out of 255.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#11465 Jan 17, 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 2 min Eagle 12 10,355
News A Strong Muslim Identity Is the Best Defense Ag... 20 min Elisabetta C 14
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 2 hr Amused 349
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 3 hr ChristineM 552
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr Brian_G 20,302
What is of greater value for humanity: Chrisita... 6 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 445
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 14 hr ChristineM 21,405
More from around the web