Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments (Page 542)

Showing posts 10,821 - 10,840 of11,195
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Okey-Dokey --- I hope you get yourself “fixed”.
Thats a laugh. Recovering from Christianity took a long time, a full year. Free thinking. You should give it a try.
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

Evolution is Evolution and it's happening.

Your macro rubbish is just more religitard straw man BS.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Macro evolution has never happened there is zero proof that it had ever happened and it will never happen. Enjoy you fantasy but keep it to yourself.

Since: Mar 11

Dowagiac, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

If macro evolution didn't happen then why don't we find saber tooth tiger remains beside T-Rex remains beside human remains?

As we dig through the layers we only find remains of animals and plants from that time period. So did god create all these animals and then wipe them all out and replace them with new ones?

Why didn't Noah let any Neanderthals on the ark?:))
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Because Noah was too busy inventing getting pissed. There weren't two of every clean animal, he was just too drunk to make sense.
Givemeliberty wrote:
Why didn't Noah let any Neanderthals on the ark?:))

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand that a person that does not know the Christian faith and is as it's commonly put on the outside looking in would not know that many can do what your definition of a Christian is and yet they are not one. Christianity is based simply on excepting the free gift of salvation.
"Salvation"? Saved from what?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems an invalid generalization.
You can back up this with a source?
So then - which of the thousands of Christian denominations in the U.S.(or the tens of thousands of Christian faith groups worldwide) is the "true" church. Or, if none is the "true church", which is closest to Jesus' original intent?

The one with the largest membership? The one most accepting of outsiders like LGBT people? What criteria would be an appropriate measure?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
President Obama being a Christian is "not an appeal to authority" as President Obama is Not an authority on religion.
May be "fallacy of bandwagon"?
All the president have been Christian except of a unitarian or two. None have been professed atheists.
Professed atheists would never get elected in this country I'm sorry to say. How many might have been more un-believer than real believer, we'll never know.
Lincoln

Rutherfordton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
"Salvation"? Saved from what?
Life devoted to materialism, shopping, television commercials, seeking an education only to make money.

People with advantages are loath to believe that they just happen to be people with advantages.
C. Wright Mills

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Life devoted to materialism, shopping, television commercials, seeking an education only to make money.
People with advantages are loath to believe that they just happen to be people with advantages.
C. Wright Mills
That's your definition of "salvation". Fascinating.

But those things are not part of the definition of my life to begin with.
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
That's your definition of "salvation". Fascinating.
But those things are not part of the definition of my life to begin with.
Cool !
Not a definition as you would have to work that our for yourself.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool !
Not a definition as you would have to work that our for yourself.
You're not making any sense.

You said "Christianity is based simply on excepting the free gift of salvation."

Again -- salvation from what?
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>

Work it out for yourself.

Atheists have science on their side?

Don't whine?

Since: Mar 11

Dowagiac, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Oh oh oh I am going Christianity is the salvation from the Christianity created punishment!:)
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
You said "Christianity is based simply on excepting the free gift of salvation."
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

Like believing you're the son of god, do you mean?
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
C. Wright Mills
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
So then - which of the thousands of Christian denominations in the U.S.(or the tens of thousands of Christian faith groups worldwide) is the "true" church. Or, if none is the "true church", which is closest to Jesus' original intent?
The one with the largest membership? The one most accepting of outsiders like LGBT people? What criteria would be an appropriate measure?
Good point. As we know, the one with the largest worldwide membership (RCC) just happens to be the one the fundies hate the most.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for leaving your math specialty long enough to read a bit and post some unlinked material in an effort to explain away how science continues to blunder and fail to get things right.
You are welcome. But the material I pointed to shows that science tends to get things right. Your lack of understanding and lack of desire to understand is not the problem of science. It is your problem.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Where you can sit back and lie about the faith you abandoned in an effort to draw praise from the cool kids.
My participation here is not to draw praise. Its about trying to be honest and debating subjects of interest to me.

All believers should look at why they believe what they believe, and why others believe what they believe.

When it comes to the existence of the supernatural, deities, and superstitions, there are several reasons why people will believe in strange things.

Generally speaking believers will justify their beliefs because of perceived design within nature, or perhaps believing that God is somehow present in their lives. In reality the real reasons for supernatural belief, are emotional. That it provides a comfort blanket, and that people believe whatever religion they are brought up to believe. Otherwise why wouldnt we be following one of the 000s of other religions, or sects out there.

If we want to act rationally, we all have a choice whether to accept the beliefs we were raised in or whether to reject them and adopt an alternative world view. Whatever views we should hold should be based on evidence and on reality, and should not be held IMO simply because they feel good or its what the majority thinks or you were indoctrinated into.

“Are you a Problem or Solution?”

Since: Mar 09

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

derek4 wrote:
Even some atheists defend the value of religion.
The included link is a Washington Post article where an atheist tells us that humanity is so much better off with religion than without it.
If the poor thing understands that much, he should convert and come out of his godless, empty religion.
http://onfaith.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/gue...
No copyrighted material was reproduced in this post.
Did you read the link above? He said clearly that he want’s to believe. How does one simply “convert“ if they don‘t have the gift of faith? You seem to belittling a man that simply has not received Gods gift yet, shame on you.
derek4 wrote:
A 2006 University of Minnesota poll of U.S. households reveals atheists are the most distrusted of minorities.
The respondents equate atheism with negativity such as immorality, criminal behaviour, materialism, and elitism.
That's very understandable since we observe no positive values in the atheist lifestyle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_...
Also taken from your link under the Prejudice heading:

-However, the same study also reported that,“The researchers also found acceptance or rejection of atheists is related not only to personal religiosity, but also to one’s exposure to diversity, education and political orientation—with more educated, East and West Coast Americans more accepting of atheists than their Midwestern counterparts.”-

Seems like the more educated Christians don’t choose to be bigots.
derek4 wrote:
This atheist writes about the depression of atheism.
He compares the meaningless of his life to that of a bug, lol.
He sees no purpose in life.
He seems to be teling us he is simply passing time, waiting for death and decay, like many atheists.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/blogs/view/787903/
Nice, give a link to show that this person that ends his page with “Despite my logical reasoning, I wish I could believe that there was a God.” is depressed. Why would you even post this?

Did you miss this statistic in one of your links above?

A majority (53%) of Canadians believe in God. What is of particular interest is that 28% of Protestants, 33% of Catholics, and 23% of those who attend weekly religious services do not.

That is a bit jaw dropping in my opinion. 23% of folks attending weekly services not believing in God….

Seems like we should be paying more attention to what is going on inside our own Churches to me.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems like we should be paying more attention to what is going on inside our own Churches to me.
No, derek4 prefers bashing atheists, because he knows his theistic beliefs are like the house built on sand.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>Thats a laugh. Recovering from Christianity took a long time, a full year. Free thinking. You should give it a try.
He would hurt himself.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 10,821 - 10,840 of11,195
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

13 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 8 min NightSerf 54
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 49 min Patrick 223,138
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 7 hr Buck Crick 21,333
Why do i deserve no respect. 14 hr Carchar king 7
Introducing The Universal Religion Wed NightSerf 718
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Wed ChristineM 802
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) Wed Buck Crick 324
•••
•••