Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11178 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#11366 Jan 15, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
President Obama being a Christian is "not an appeal to authority" as President Obama is Not an authority on religion.
May be "fallacy of bandwagon"?
All the president have been Christian except of a unitarian or two. None have been professed atheists.
You are pretty stupid if you don't recognize this argument as "appeal to authority". All of the popes have been catholic, so I guess that means you should be as well, right?
Lincoln

United States

#11367 Jan 15, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
You are pretty if you don't recognize this argument as "appeal to authority". All of the Popes have been Catholic, so I guess that means you should be as well, right?
Not at all...bandwagon.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#11368 Jan 15, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
President Obama being a Christian is "not an appeal to authority" as President Obama is Not an authority on religion.
May be "fallacy of bandwagon"?
All the president have been Christian except of a unitarian or two. None have been professed atheists.
I stand correct, the bandwagon is correct.
Lincoln

United States

#11369 Jan 15, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I stand correct, the bandwagon is correct.
Not a big deal.
What do we do with our lives today?
How can we make the world a better place?
Peace

#11371 Jan 15, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all...bandwagon.
bandwagon is more of an "appeal to numbers". For example, "trillions of flies eat cr@p, so we should too.".

Whereas the "presidents" argument is more of an "important people say so .." which is more of an "appeal to authority". You lose!!

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#11370 Jan 15, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you look, the date of that lecture is 1996, which was before the detailed information from COBE and WMAP. Hawking's estimate of 15 billion years was the best estimate at the time. Before the data on the background radiation, the estimates of the age of the universe ran from about 11 billion years to almost 20 billion years. That range was narrowing by about 1996, but getting more accuracy from the data than 'about 15 billion years' was impossible at that point. Now, we have much better data and more decimal places of accuracy.
The best estimate for the age of the universe at this point is 13.772+-.059 billion years. Expect narrower error bars when more data comes in.
Thanks for leaving your math specialty long enough to read a bit and post some unlinked material in an effort to explain away how science continues to blunder and fail to get things right.

Location hidden

#11372 Jan 15, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Not judge, just a healthy degree of skepticism.
We are not responsible for the programming we received as children. But as an adult are responsible for fixing it.
Okey-Dokey --- I hope you get yourself “fixed”.

Location hidden

#11373 Jan 15, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text> do we really want to believe in a load of tosh just cause we cant cope with reality???
WE?
I don't. That's why I reject the theory of evolution as a “load of tosh”, since you put it that way for us. Thank you.

Location hidden

#11374 Jan 15, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
A very reliable poster tells us that you think your god is a moron.
Is this true?
Come on, Dim. I'll be a friend, you can lean on my shoulder, let it all out.
Have a cry if you want.
Would you like a hug?
I appreciate your friendship, and surely you know how much it means to me, lol.

But watch out for those "very reliable" moron posters you trust. "your god"????--- nope - that doesn't describe the God I believe in.

You must be thinking of your science god.

Location hidden

#11375 Jan 15, 2013
Even some atheists defend the value of religion.

The included link is a Washington Post article where an atheist tells us that humanity is so much better off with religion than without it.

If the poor thing understands that much, he should convert and come out of his godless, empty religion.

http://onfaith.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/gue...

No copyrighted material was reproduced in this post.

Location hidden

#11376 Jan 15, 2013
A 2006 University of Minnesota poll of U.S. households reveals atheists are the most distrusted of minorities.

The respondents equate atheism with negativity such as immorality, criminal behaviour, materialism, and elitism.

That's very understandable since we observe no positive values in the atheist lifestyle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_...

Location hidden

#11378 Jan 15, 2013
This atheist writes about the depression of atheism.

He compares the meaningless of his life to that of a bug, lol.

He sees no purpose in life.

He seems to be teling us he is simply passing time, waiting for death and decay, like many atheists.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/blogs/view/787903/

Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#11379 Jan 15, 2013
It doesn't matter what you think.

Evolution is happening all around us without your say so.
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
WE?
I don't. That's why I reject the theory of evolution as a “load of tosh”, since you put it that way for us. Thank you.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#11380 Jan 15, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a big deal.
What do we do with our lives today?
How can we make the world a better place?
Peace
To make the world a better place, we must get rid of the bandwagons.

#11381 Jan 15, 2013
derek4 wrote:
This atheist writes about the depression of atheism.
He compares the meaningless of his life to that of a bug, lol.
He sees no purpose in life.
He seems to be teling us he is simply passing time, waiting for death and decay, like many atheists.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/blogs/view/787903/
Meh!! I was dead for billions of years before I was born. I don't recall being inconvenienced in the least!
KJV

United States

#11382 Jan 15, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>No, it won't go that high. The error bars are much, much less than they were even fairly recently.

[QUOTE] The only reason I bring this up or seem concerned about it is in my life time the earth and universe has aged billions of years. And as you know the more time science puts on the books the odds of spontaneous life or the the mystery of the Big Bang seem to be come less concerning to the masses because the billions and billions of years is simple pretty hard to conceive."

[QUOTE]Science for a few years have give the age of the universe at 13.7 billion years then one of if not the top dog in science starts throwing around 15 billions years and no one blinks an eye at the addition of 1.3 billion years. That's a very long time. "

It's a factor of 10%. Our estimates are much better now than they were even a few years ago. We have the age down to within less than a percent. The figure of 15 billion years is a fair approximation.

I really think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. If I met someone who was 27-8 years old and I said they were close to 30, you wouldn't blink an eye. Hawking's estimate is off by the same factor.

You are beginning to sound like the man in the joke. He went to a geology lecture and the speaker asked if anyone knew how old the earth is. The man replied that it is 4,600,000,003 years old. The speaker asked how he got that figure, to which he replied that he had heard the same lecture 3 years ago and it was 4,600,000,000 years old then.

The point is that the amounts we are off tend to be in *percentages* of the true amount rather than actual number of years off. So we had an estimate of 15 billion years with a possible error of 10%. Now we have a figure of 13.772 billion years with a possible error of .4%.
The man at the lecture sounds pretty interesting I would like to meet him. LOL

I liked that thank you.
Lincoln

United States

#11383 Jan 15, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
To make the world a better place, we must get rid of the bandwagons.
WEB duBoise in "Soul of Black Folk" read about the death of his son.
The World is better today
KJV

United States

#11384 Jan 15, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>It doesn't matter what you think.

Evolution is happening all around us without your say so.
Macro evolution has never happened there is zero proof that it had ever happened and it will never happen. Enjoy you fantasy but keep it to yourself.
Lincoln

United States

#11385 Jan 15, 2013
Big Bang 13.75 billion years ago.
Film at 11 PM
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#11386 Jan 16, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Macro evolution has never happened there is zero proof that it had ever happened
What an insanely stupid thing to say. The fossil record proves macro evolution. Try visiting your nearest museum of natural history, and learn something important, instead of ancient Jewish creation myths.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 7 min Knowledge- 12,534
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 13 min thetruth 247,283
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 24 min thetruth 47,774
News Si Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty' Star, Says Atheist... 4 hr Shizle 53
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 4 hr thetruth 4
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 12 hr thetruth 19
Proof of God for the Atheist 12 hr thetruth 100
More from around the web