Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11178 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#11333 Jan 15, 2013
Adam wrote:
You see Linc, most people who call themselves Christians today are not Christians. They are cultural christians, or christians in name only. They dont understand or take seriously basic church teachings.
So God appointed you judge of the Christians?

Location hidden

#11334 Jan 15, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
The Theory of Evolution is not proven. However it's about as close to a fact as we can get; it represents our best explanation based on the evidence we have.
Kat, I'd like to commend you on the way you worded that, but I don't want to be “close to a fact” and miss the fact.

That's why I accept that God as Creator.

You take your “best explanation” with all it's fraud and keep it, lol.

Location hidden

#11335 Jan 15, 2013
This should be re-posted:

Atheists say Christians are wasting their time in church, but WebMD tells us that spirituality may bring about a longer life.

Science can't tell us why, but God knows.

In fact, it doesn't matter to me WHY, but I believe it, and studies back it up.

http://www.webmd.com/balance/features/spiritu...

Location hidden

#11336 Jan 15, 2013
In a study funded by grants from the National Institute of Aging, the California Department of Health Services, and other such reputable organizations, researchers at The University of California tell us church attendance is tied to a long, healthy life.

The study was published in the International Journal of Psychiatry in Medicine.

Church attendees have an inner peace and stress coping ability that atheists do not have.

http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/ar...

Location hidden

#11337 Jan 15, 2013
A group of doctors reported that being a practicing Christian is good for your health.

In fact, over 1200 scientific studies confirm their findings.

Among the many health benefits that come from being a Christian, there is a better sense of well-being, hope, optimism, less depression, less loneliness, and the exclusion of alcohol and drugs.

So, get involved in church, live longer, and enjoy your life more.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/...

Location hidden

#11338 Jan 15, 2013
A study by Rush University Medical Center shows that depressed people who believe in a loving, caring God respond better to treatments for various illnesses.

Their faith obviously has a big part in their recovery - medications can only do so much.

http://www.scienceandreligiontoday.com/2010/0...

Location hidden

#11339 Jan 15, 2013
I'm glad to see Lincoln has joined our forum. Keep up the good work!

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#11340 Jan 15, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
For years and years science claimed the age of the universe as 13.7 billion years old.
Stephen Harking just published a speech of his that claims the universe is 15 billion years old.
http://www.hawking.org.uk/the-beginning-of-ti...
Wikipedia:
"the Big Bang occurred approximately 13.75 billion years ago, which is thus considered the age of the Universe"
If you look, the date of that lecture is 1996, which was before the detailed information from COBE and WMAP. Hawking's estimate of 15 billion years was the best estimate at the time. Before the data on the background radiation, the estimates of the age of the universe ran from about 11 billion years to almost 20 billion years. That range was narrowing by about 1996, but getting more accuracy from the data than 'about 15 billion years' was impossible at that point. Now, we have much better data and more decimal places of accuracy.

The best estimate for the age of the universe at this point is 13.772+-.059 billion years. Expect narrower error bars when more data comes in.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#11341 Jan 15, 2013
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not judge, just a healthy degree of skepticism.

We are not responsible for the programming we received as children. But as an adult are responsible for fixing it.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#11342 Jan 15, 2013
derek4 wrote:
A group of doctors reported that being a practicing Christian is good for your health.
My health and lifestyle is just the same as when I was a Christian.

If someone choses to drink less and adopt a healthier lifestyle, they can do this with or without belief in God.

Religion may be a comfort blanket, if I was unkind I'd say a comfort blanket for retards ;), but do we really want to believe in a load of tosh just cause we cant cope with reality???
Lincoln

United States

#11343 Jan 15, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point. The standard practice amongst Christians is to say your denomination is the only correct one, worshipping the one, true God, and the other 33,999 sects are false, the other 999 gods false, and the other 9,999 religions also false. What amazing luck to be born into the right one!!!
Seems an invalid generalization.
You can back up this with a source?

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#11344 Jan 15, 2013
How could your imaginary god appoint anyone to do anything? He is hanging out with Harvey the rabbit.
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#11345 Jan 15, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
I fully understand
I fully understand
I fully understand
You seem to like yourself?
Your are God's greatest creation
on the thread?
No he's not.

I am.
Lincoln

United States

#11346 Jan 15, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
How could your imaginary God appoint anyone to do anything? He is hanging out with Harvey the rabbit.
<quoted text>
That is the Best you can do to
defend unpopular atheism?

United States recently reelected a Christian President and VP.

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#11347 Jan 15, 2013
EmpAtheist wrote:
<quoted text>
What point are you trying to make?
I doubt whether he knows what point he's trying to make.

Watford, UK

#11348 Jan 15, 2013
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad to know you're reading the Bible, even if you don't have a grasp on it yet.
The beauty of the Bible is that all the gospels, like all the rest of the Bible, can and have been reconciled.
Keep studying your Bible instead of having so many “lie ins”(and “lies out”) lol.
Don't accept the “close to fact”(Khatru's words) mistake of evolution.
Close isn't good enough.
Reconciled?

Reconciled by whom and with what?

Watford, UK

#11350 Jan 15, 2013
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
A very reliable poster tells us that you think your god is a moron.

Is this true?

Come on, Dim. I'll be a friend, you can lean on my shoulder, let it all out.

Have a cry if you want.

Would you like a hug?

Watford, UK

#11351 Jan 15, 2013
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Kat, I'd like to commend you on the way you worded that, but I don't want to be “close to a fact” and miss the fact.
That's why I accept that God as Creator.
You take your “best explanation” with all it's fraud and keep it, lol.
Ah, the abracadbra method

LOL

So sad when your only answer for how something was done is "magic".

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#11352 Jan 15, 2013
Besides Lincoln argument to popularity is a logical fallacy.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#11353 Jan 15, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems an invalid generalization.
You can back up this with a source?
I got the figures from a book I'm reading, "Why people believe weird things" Michael Shermer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min Chimney1 35,347
News Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 10 min thetruth 23,871
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 14 min thetruth 140
Reasoning with Insanity 17 min thetruth 66
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 23 min thetruth 37
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 30 min thetruth 20,128
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 32 min thetruth 159
More from around the web