Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#11283 Jan 14, 2013
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Please let me know which newspaper published your proof of evolution so I can look it up. I haven't seen any creditable proof of evolution.
You're really living up to your name today, Dim.

The Theory of Evolution is not proven. However it's about as close to a fact as we can get; it represents our best explanation based on the evidence we have. Of course, there is so much evidence available now, more so than Darwin could ever have dreamed of. This absolute mountain of evidence leaves not one single scientific alternative to explaining why life evolves.

It leaves you and your ilk floundering so much that the best explanation you have for the way life on earth has developed is one that relies on the use of magic.

Magic

That's the abracadbra method of life development.

LOL
Lincoln

United States

#11284 Jan 14, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
You're really living up to your name today, Dim.
The Theory of Evolution is not proven. However it's about as close to a fact as we can get; it represents our best explanation based on the evidence we have. Of course, there is so much evidence available now, more so than Darwin could ever have dreamed of. This absolute mountain of evidence leaves not one single scientific alternative to explaining why life evolves.
It leaves you and your ilk floundering so much that the best explanation you have for the way life on earth has developed is one that relies on the use of magic.
Magic
That's the abracadbra method of life development.
LOL
Roman Catholics embrace Intelligent Design
Lincoln

United States

#11285 Jan 14, 2013
Roman Catholics Don't embrace Intelligent Design!- Correction.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#11286 Jan 14, 2013
catholics accept Evolution.
Lincoln wrote:
Roman Catholics Don't embrace Intelligent Design!- Correction.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#11287 Jan 14, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>Roman Catholics embrace Intelligent Design
Pope John Paul Paul II told the Pontifical Academy of Sciences in 1996 that new scientific knowledge has led us to the conclusion that the theory of evolution is no longer a mere hypothesis.

In the main atrium in Notre Dames new Jordan Hall of Science, there is a plaque that reads: "Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."

In fact --

The Church of England, 2009:Charles Darwin: 200 years from your birth, the Church of England owes you an apology for misunderstanding you and, by getting our first reaction wrong, encouraging others to misunderstand you still."

Baylor University, the largest Baptist University in the world and arguably one of the finest Christian Schools in America has stated: "Evolution, a foundational principle of modern biology, is supported by overwhelming scientific evidence and is accepted by the vast majority of scientists. Because it is fundamental to the understanding of modern biology, the faculty in the Biology Department at Baylor University, Waco, TX, teach evolution throughout the biology curriculum. We are in accordance with the American Association for Advancement of Science's statement on evolution. We are a science department, so we do not teach alternative hypotheses or philosophically deduced theories that cannot be tested rigorously."

Nottingham, UK

#11288 Jan 14, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Dim and his masters accept magic.

Of course, there are many thousands of mysteries that science has now explained, and you know what?

Not one single explanation has relied on magic.

No wonder Dim hates science so much!

Scientist: "At constant pressure, the volume of a given mass of an ideal gas increases or decreases by the same factor as its temperature on the absolute temperature scale."

Dim: "WTF do you know? You're just a scientist. Let's see what the Bible says."

Nottingham, UK

#11289 Jan 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Pope John Paul Paul II told the Pontifical Academy of Sciences in 1996 that new scientific knowledge has led us to the conclusion that the theory of evolution is no longer a mere hypothesis.
In the main atrium in Notre Dames new Jordan Hall of Science, there is a plaque that reads: "Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
In fact --
The Church of England, 2009:Charles Darwin: 200 years from your birth, the Church of England owes you an apology for misunderstanding you and, by getting our first reaction wrong, encouraging others to misunderstand you still."
Baylor University, the largest Baptist University in the world and arguably one of the finest Christian Schools in America has stated: "Evolution, a foundational principle of modern biology, is supported by overwhelming scientific evidence and is accepted by the vast majority of scientists. Because it is fundamental to the understanding of modern biology, the faculty in the Biology Department at Baylor University, Waco, TX, teach evolution throughout the biology curriculum. We are in accordance with the American Association for Advancement of Science's statement on evolution. We are a science department, so we do not teach alternative hypotheses or philosophically deduced theories that cannot be tested rigorously."
Great post and one that shows how the vast majority of the world's Christians have seen the real light.

Perhaps Dim needs a candle.
KJV

United States

#11290 Jan 14, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Another great site would be for Chris Langan to retake his IQ test this time under a controlled accurately observed setting. His self proclaimed score is questionable at best especially when you see how he floundered on 1 vs 100 :))

Regardless even if and that is a HUGE IF his score is accurate all that argument is doing is appeal to authority logical fallacy, nothing more. Langan is a DI licking reject.
"Christopher Michael Langan (born c. 1952) is an American autodidact whose IQ was reported by 20/20 and other media sources to have been measured at between 195 and 210"

Believes in God.
KJV

United States

#11291 Jan 14, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Let's look at that again.

We've found small campfires from Homo Erectus dating back thousands of years.

Yet we can't find a single site around a specific area (Mount Sinai) where 3 million Jews, 600,000 goats and sheep, 300,000 cattle and about 10,000 wagons were camped?
"We've found small campfires from Homo Erectus"

Oh so now you're one of the camp fire hunters? LOL

Was there little brass plaque saying Homo Erectus built this camp fire?
KJV

United States

#11292 Jan 14, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Yes I do, it's whatever translation of the Bible you can select that's most suitable for you.
Does your believe of what I believe bother you?
KJV

United States

#11293 Jan 14, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text> I certainly do!
"So you will now accept anything with the science stamp on it.
Rather pitiful!"

"I certainly do!"

LOL

What a Dolt!
KJV

United States

#11294 Jan 14, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>English evolves. I chose not to capitalise god. One day, that will be the norm.
"Indeed, it would be rather juvenile to misspell God simply in order to insult theists. If such an atheist had so little respect for another person, why even waste the time writing to them in the first place, much less deliberately trying to hurt them at the same time? While that may actually be the case with some atheists who write the word 'god' with a lowercase 'g,' "

http://atheism.about.com/od/doesgodexist/a/ca...
KJV

United States

#11295 Jan 14, 2013
Adam wrote:
KJV "Indeed, it would be rather juvenile to misspell God simply in order to insult theists."

What about zeus, mithras, buddha or allah. Is this a grevious offense :) maybe I should say Zeus, Mithras, Buddha or Allah, so not to hurt anyone's feelings. I think as long as we are consistent in the way we talk about all imaginary beings, religions, superstitions, then no one should be offended.
"Do You Capitalize the Word "God"?

"One of the most common questions people ask about religious words is whether to capitalize the word “god.” The name of any specific deity is capitalized just like any other name, so when “God” is used to refer to “the one God,”(in other words, in any monotheistic religion) it is capitalized.

For example, you’d capitalize “God” in this sentence:
Some Christians give thanks to God before every meal.

When referring to gods in general, however, or using the word "god" descriptively, keep it lowercase:

The Romans believed a god named Jupiter ruled the heavens.
The Greek gods were always causing trouble for humans.
The same rule holds true for Yahweh, Allah, Zeus, and the names of gods in other religions. They are capitalized."
KJV

United States

#11296 Jan 14, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Dick4cm leaves nothing but religitard pigeon sh!t on our chess sets.
Such a show of intelligence.

Nottingham, UK

#11297 Jan 14, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Does your believe of what I believe bother you?
Not at all.

For all I care, you can skin a rabbit, dip it in pig's blood, nail it to your dining table and dance round it naked if you like. I'm really not bothered.

Nottingham, UK

#11298 Jan 14, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"So you will now accept anything with the science stamp on it.
Rather pitiful!"
"I certainly do!"
LOL
What a Dolt!
Looks like I got to you with that response, I'll be sure to save it for future use.
KJV

United States

#11299 Jan 14, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>I guess so. That doesnt make him a Christian though according to fundies.
This coming from the Christian expert!

LOL
KJV

United States

#11300 Jan 14, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>What an evil system. For simple lack of belief because of lack of evidence, a person gets tortured forever. The designer of such a system must be condemned as truly evil.
It's not a "Simple lack of belief"
God claims each will hear the word and know it to be true but some will still reject it.

God knows you inside and out. You cannot hide from him.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#11301 Jan 14, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not a "Simple lack of belief"
God claims each will hear the word and know it to be true but some will still reject it.
God knows you inside and out. You cannot hide from him.
So then Ra is the one true god.
Lincoln

United States

#11302 Jan 14, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man center of the universe. 30 min Uncle Sam 160
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr Mikko 23,046
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr _Bad Company 1,110
Heaven 9 hr Reason Personified 44
Evidence for God! 11 hr Uncle Sam 51
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 11 hr Dave Nelson 231,016
Former Atheist Academic Who Rejected God and Be... Thu Hooogle It 77

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE