Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11177 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

KJV

United States

#11293 Jan 14, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text> I certainly do!
"So you will now accept anything with the science stamp on it.
Rather pitiful!"

"I certainly do!"

LOL

What a Dolt!
KJV

United States

#11294 Jan 14, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>English evolves. I chose not to capitalise god. One day, that will be the norm.
"Indeed, it would be rather juvenile to misspell God simply in order to insult theists. If such an atheist had so little respect for another person, why even waste the time writing to them in the first place, much less deliberately trying to hurt them at the same time? While that may actually be the case with some atheists who write the word 'god' with a lowercase 'g,' "

http://atheism.about.com/od/doesgodexist/a/ca...
KJV

United States

#11295 Jan 14, 2013
Adam wrote:
KJV "Indeed, it would be rather juvenile to misspell God simply in order to insult theists."

What about zeus, mithras, buddha or allah. Is this a grevious offense :) maybe I should say Zeus, Mithras, Buddha or Allah, so not to hurt anyone's feelings. I think as long as we are consistent in the way we talk about all imaginary beings, religions, superstitions, then no one should be offended.
"Do You Capitalize the Word "God"?

"One of the most common questions people ask about religious words is whether to capitalize the word “god.” The name of any specific deity is capitalized just like any other name, so when “God” is used to refer to “the one God,”(in other words, in any monotheistic religion) it is capitalized.

For example, you’d capitalize “God” in this sentence:
Some Christians give thanks to God before every meal.

When referring to gods in general, however, or using the word "god" descriptively, keep it lowercase:

The Romans believed a god named Jupiter ruled the heavens.
The Greek gods were always causing trouble for humans.
The same rule holds true for Yahweh, Allah, Zeus, and the names of gods in other religions. They are capitalized."
KJV

United States

#11296 Jan 14, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Dick4cm leaves nothing but religitard pigeon sh!t on our chess sets.
Such a show of intelligence.

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#11297 Jan 14, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Does your believe of what I believe bother you?
Not at all.

For all I care, you can skin a rabbit, dip it in pig's blood, nail it to your dining table and dance round it naked if you like. I'm really not bothered.

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#11298 Jan 14, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Rather pitiful!"
"I certainly do!"
LOL
What a Dolt!
Looks like I got to you with that response, I'll be sure to save it for future use.
KJV

United States

#11299 Jan 14, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>I guess so. That doesnt make him a Christian though according to fundies.
This coming from the Christian expert!

LOL
KJV

United States

#11300 Jan 14, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>What an evil system. For simple lack of belief because of lack of evidence, a person gets tortured forever. The designer of such a system must be condemned as truly evil.
It's not a "Simple lack of belief"
God claims each will hear the word and know it to be true but some will still reject it.

God knows you inside and out. You cannot hide from him.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#11301 Jan 14, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
God claims each will hear the word and know it to be true but some will still reject it.
So then Ra is the one true god.
Lincoln

United States

#11302 Jan 14, 2013
Thinking wrote:
catholics accept Evolution.
<quoted text>
Yes !

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#11303 Jan 14, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you miss the rest of his post, or was it just too hard for you to comprehend?

He said - "...because of lack of evidence, a person gets tortured forever. The designer of such a system must be condemned as truly evil."
Lincoln

United States

#11304 Jan 14, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all.
For all I care, you can skin a rabbit, dip it in pig's blood, nail it to your dining table and dance round it naked if you like. I'm really not bothered.
They do that in England?:-)

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#11305 Jan 14, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
So if I am honestly not convinced by the evidence, is that considered a 'rejection'? If so, that is an immoral system.
KJV

United States

#11306 Jan 14, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>This all depends on how your define Christian.

To me a Christian has to believe the tenants of the religion, such as believing the trinity and jesus being God. Does Obama believe a man walked on water, rose from the dead and ascend to heaven on a cloud. Believers will sing eternal praises to yahweh and disbelievers burn in hell. I seriously doubt it.
No one cares about your definition of anything. If you're interested in what constitutes a Christian look it up.
KJV

United States

#11307 Jan 14, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
Roman Catholics Don't embrace Intelligent Design!- Correction.
Here's Is an update on this

"Philosophers, scientists and other intellectuals close to Pope Benedict will gather at his summer palace outside Rome this week for intensive discussions that could herald a fundamental shift in the Vatican's view of evolution.

There have been growing signs the Pope is considering aligning his church more closely with the theory of "intelligent design" taught in some US states. Advocates of the theory argue that some features of the universe and nature are so complex that they must have been designed by a higher intelligence. Critics say it is a disguise for creationism.

A prominent anti-evolutionist and Roman Catholic scientist, Dominique Tassot, told the US National Catholic Reporter that this week's meeting was "to give a broader extension to the debate. Even if knows where he wants to go, and I believe he does, it will take time. Most Catholic intellectuals today are convinced that evolution is obviously true because most scientists say so." In 1996, in what was seen as a capitulation to scientific orthodoxy, John Paul II said Darwin's theories were "more than a hypothesis".
KJV

United States

#11308 Jan 14, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Not at all.

skin a rabbit, dip it in pig's blood, nail it to your dining table and dance round it naked.
So you reveal your sacred dinner dance.
KJV

United States

#11309 Jan 14, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Looks like I got to you with that response, I'll be sure to save it for future use.
Rather pitiful!"
KJV

United States

#11310 Jan 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>So then Ra is the one true god.
For you it matters not.
KJV

United States

#11311 Jan 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>Did you miss the rest of his post, or was it just too hard for you to comprehend?

He said - "...because of lack of evidence, a person gets tortured forever. The designer of such a system must be condemned as truly evil."
You must not have read this or is it that you do not understand the term "know it to be true"

"God claims each will hear the word and know it to be true but some will still reject it."
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#11312 Jan 14, 2013
He'd only stick it up his Gary.
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps Dim needs a candle.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 12 min ChristineM 21,874
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 24 min ChristineM 258,041
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 26 min Cujo 36
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 54 min One way or another 48,588
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Aura Mytha 23,506
News Louisiana Christians reclaim safe space by runn... 2 hr Mikko 1
What are the best arguments against religion? 2 hr bluehill 1
More from around the web