Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments (Page 535)

Showing posts 10,681 - 10,700 of11,219
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

English evolves. I chose not to capitalise god. One day, that will be the norm.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Well given the fact that God was capitalized that would affirm that it was the God of the Bible he was talking about.
"Do You Capitalize the Word "God"?
One of the most common questions people ask about religious words is whether to capitalize the word god. The name of any specific deity is capitalized just like any other name, so when God is used to refer to the one God,(in other words, in any monotheistic religion) it is capitalized. "
http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/do-you-c...
"Indeed, it would be rather juvenile to misspell God simply in order to insult theists. If such an atheist had so little respect for another person, why even waste the time writing to them in the first place, much less deliberately trying to hurt them at the same time? While that may actually be the case with some atheists who write the word 'god' with a lowercase 'g,' "
http://atheism.about.com/od/doesgodexist/a/ca...
Can't even handle the atheist web page on proper grammar?
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

KJV "Indeed, it would be rather juvenile to misspell God simply in order to insult theists."

What about zeus, mithras, buddha or allah. Is this a grevious offense :) maybe I should say Zeus, Mithras, Buddha or Allah, so not to hurt anyone's feelings. I think as long as we are consistent in the way we talk about all imaginary beings, religions, superstitions, then no one should be offended.
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

They'll get offended anyway!

No one should have the right not to be offended.
Adam wrote:
KJV "Indeed, it would be rather juvenile to misspell God simply in order to insult theists."
What about zeus, mithras, buddha or allah. Is this a grevious offense :) maybe I should say Zeus, Mithras, Buddha or Allah, so not to hurt anyone's feelings. I think as long as we are consistent in the way we talk about all imaginary beings, religions, superstitions, then no one should be offended.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

derek4 wrote:
Science points more toward God than toward atheism.
Atheism doesn't depend on science at all. Nevertheless, science implies atheism several ways.

[1] First, science, like secular humanism, lends support to the principle of rational skepticism, which is the mother of atheism, science and humanism. Those three are each the result of the application of rational skepticism to matters of the supernatural, the natural, and human life respectively. Since they are all fruit of the same tree, the stunning successes of science, such as the polio vaccine and space travel, and of secular humanism, such as the US Constitution and individual political freedoms, suggest that atheism is just as valid.

[2] Second, science shows us that every creation myth is a fabrication, meaning that extraordinary religious proclamations that can be checked have uniformly been found to be wrong. Once we understand where religious thought comes from, and what its standards of scholarship are - making things up and saying that a god told you - we understand where the concept of a god comes from: man's imagination.

[3] Third, science has shown that we don't need a god. There was never was a reason to even consider the possibility of a god except to explain the otherwise inexplicable. And science does that better. With each of its pronouncement, every god shrinks into a smaller gap. Religion is dying wherever science is thriving.

[4] Fourth, scientists have been studying our reality at every scale from the Higgs boson (CERN) to the cosmological scale (WMAP) since the invention of the microscope and telescope, and have never found a scintilla of evidence for a designer. Nothing. Scientists have shown repeatedly that prayer fails.

That is four different ways that science affirms atheism. That's plenty.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

derek4 wrote:
Arguments by atheists using science as evidence against the existence of God is erroneous and without support.
Atheists need to learn how to understand science.
Christianity's antiscientism is ignored everywhere except by other Christians. Your church has no standing in the great scientific debate. Its agenda driven indifference to truth and its determination to defend itself from impending irrelevance in the West whatever the cost are well known.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Thinking wrote:
No one should have the right not to be offended.
<quoted text>
agreed
Lincoln

Rutherfordton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Secularism declining in America
but must be stronger in the UK?
Lincoln

Rutherfordton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

When Obama took office in 2009, he repeated after Justice John Roberts: "I, Barack Hussein Obama do solemnly swear that I will execute the Office of President of the United States faithfully and will to the best of my ability preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, so help me God."

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely! We have many old laws that we no longer use.
All English males over the age of 14 are to carry out 2 or so hours longbow practice a week supervised by the local clergy.
In some states it is legal to have intercourse with livestock. For those that are interested..(wink wink)
AL, FL, KY, MA, NH, NJ, NM, NV, OH, TX, VT, WV, and WY have no direct prohibitions on the sexual assault of an animal.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Make sense or shut up
Talking to yourself again?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
You flatter me.
While I fully understand your inferiority complex, there's really no need to place me on such a pedestal.
It's lonely for you atop the pedestal of ignorance you made for yourself.
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

No, Khatru was asking you to make sense or shut up.
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Talking to yourself again?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Thinking wrote:
English evolves. I chose not to capitalise god. One day, that will be the norm.
<quoted text>
When you choose to remain in ignorance, like Khatru, you diminish yourself. Ask Khatru if there is room on her pedestal for you to sit with her (him).

The Christian God is traditionally capitalized.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, of course, it tells me the same as it tells you: that science has been unable to prove evolution and when they try, we see their failure, which shows us that creationism is truth.
Ever since 1982, only 15% of Americans are non-creationists.
Dr. David Menton responds to “science guy” Bill Nye's confusion about evolution and explains Nye's inconsistencies in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
No copyrighted material was reproduced in this post.
Seems to me if Science is corrupt and it points to God, then Atheism must be the correct answer.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Thinking wrote:
No, Khatru was asking you to make sense or shut up.
<quoted text>
Thereby showing her (his) ignorance since she has no authority to dictate beliefs here nor tell other posters to "shut up". Thanks for confirming my point.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

The included link is a helpful guide to common atheist myths.

Atheists, find your favorite myth on the list and do your research on it so you can stop being an embarrassment to yourself.

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/athe...

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>In some states it is legal to have intercourse with livestock. For those that are interested..(wink wink)
AL, FL, KY, MA, NH, NJ, NM, NV, OH, TX, VT, WV, and WY have no direct prohibitions on the sexual assault of an animal.
I suspect that Dim is well aware of the states where this is legal.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems to me if Science is corrupt and it points to God, then Atheism must be the correct answer.
You tried and failed to make that point previously, and I addressed it already. You need to read the comments in the forum, move along, or join Khatru atop her pedestal of ignorance, lol.
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Legs irons, smallpox and witch burning were also traditional.

I therefore choose to write "god" in lower case.
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
When you choose to remain in ignorance, like Khatru, you diminish yourself. Ask Khatru if there is room on her pedestal for you to sit with her (him).
The Christian God is traditionally capitalized.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Does atheism weaken the security of the United States?

Yes.

http://georgeshollenberger.blogspot.com/2009/...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 10,681 - 10,700 of11,219
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••