Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#11263 Jan 14, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
..So will President Obama do this again?
I guess so. That doesnt make him a Christian though according to fundies.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#11264 Jan 14, 2013
derek4 wrote:
Did you atheists attend the worship services Sunday at the first temple of science worship?
Grovelling for forgiveness before an angry god is the perogative of theists. Personally I prefer a lie in on a Sunday morning.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#11265 Jan 14, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Key Facts About Eternity
(1) Everyone will exist eternally either in heaven or hell (Daniel 12:2,3; Matthew 25:46; John 5:28; Revelation 20:14,15).
(2) Everyone has only one life in which to determine their destiny (Hebrews 9:27).
(3) Heaven or hell is determined by whether a person believes (puts their trust) in Christ alone to save them (John 3:16, 36, etc.).
Key Passages About Hell
(1) Hell was designed originally for Satan and his demons (Matthew 25:41; Revelation 20:10).
(2) Hell will also punish the sin of those who reject Christ (Matthew 13:41,50; Revelation 20:11-15; 21:8).
(3) Hell is conscious torment.
Matthew 13:50 “furnace of fire…weeping and gnashing of teeth”
Mark 9:48 “where their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched”
Revelation 14:10 “he will be tormented with fire and brimstone”
(4) Hell is eternal and irreversible.
Revelation 14:11 “the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever and they have no rest day and night”
Revelation 20:14 “This is the second death, the lake of fire”
Revelation 20:15 “If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire”
Erroneous Views of Hell
(1) The second chance view – After death there is still a way to escape hell.
Answer:“It is appointed unto men once to die and after that the judgment”(Hebrews 9:27).
(2) Universalism – All are eternally saved.
Answer: It denies the truth of salvation through Christ which means that a person decides to either trust in Christ or else he/she rejects Christ and goes to hell (John 3:16;3:36).
(3) Annihilationism – Hell means a person dies like an animal – ceases to exist.
Answer: It denies the resurrection of the unsaved (John 5:28, etc.– see above). It denies conscious torment (see above).
Objections to the Biblical View of Hell
(1) A loving God would not send people to a horrible hell.
Response: God is just (Romans 2:11).
God has provided the way of salvation to all (John 3:16,17; 2 Corinthians 5:14,15; 1 Timothy 2:6; 4:10; Titus 2:11; 2 Peter 3:9).
Even those who haven’t heard of Christ are accountable for God’s revelation in nature (Romans 1:20). God will seek those who seek Him (Matthew 7:7; Luke 19:10).
Therefore God doesn’t send people to hell, they choose it (Romans 1:18,21,25).
(2) Hell is too severe a punishment for man’s sin.
Response: God is holy-perfect (1 Peter 1:14,15).
Sin is willful opposition to God our creator (Romans 1:18-32).
Our sin does merit hell (Romans 1:32; 2:2,5,6)
What is unfair and amazing is that Christ died for our sin and freely offers salvation to all (Romans 2:4; 3:22-24; 4:7,8; 5:8,9).
Biblical Terms Describing Where the Dead Are
Sheol - a Hebrew term simply describing “the grave” or “death”– Does not refer to “hell” specifically
Hades - A Greek term that usually refers to hell – a place of torment (Luke 10:15; 16:23, etc.)
Gehenna - A Greek term (borrowed from a literal burning dump near Jerusalem) that always refers to hell –
a place of torment (Matthew 5:30; 23:33)
“Lake of fire”- the final abode of unbelievers after they are resurrected (Revelation 20:14,15)
Conclusion
Our curiosity about the abode of the dead is not completely satisfied by biblical terms or verses. What we do know is that either eternal torment in hell or eternal joy in heaven awaits all people after death, based on whether they trust in Christ’s payment for sin or reject Christ.
http://bible.org/article/what-bible-says-abou...
What an evil system. For simple lack of belief because of lack of evidence, a person gets tortured forever. The designer of such a system must be condemned as truly evil.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#11266 Jan 14, 2013
Lincoln, Derek, just a reminder to you guys why Christinsanity is an invalid belief system. If you open your bibles at matthew, you will see a geneology of jesus. Then skip to luke and see another geneology of jesus. The trouble is these two do not match up, and connot be reconciled without some serious mental gymnastics. The point being the gospels are anonymous documents which contradict each other all over the shop. And this is apparently the heart of the christian religion. Not very good evidence for anything, except the fact that religion is a man made construct.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#11267 Jan 14, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
What an evil system. For simple lack of belief because of lack of evidence, a person gets tortured forever. The designer of such a system must be condemned as truly evil.
or truly imaginary :D
Lincoln

United States

#11268 Jan 14, 2013
Adam wrote:
Lincoln, Derek, just a reminder to you guys why Christinsanity is an invalid belief system. If you open your bibles at matthew, you will see a geneology of jesus. Then skip to luke and see another geneology of jesus. The trouble is these two do not match up, and connot be reconciled without some serious mental gymnastics. The point being the gospels are anonymous documents which contradict each other all over the shop. And this is apparently the heart of the christian religion. Not very good evidence for anything, except the fact that religion is a man made construct.
Do you pay taxes in the UK to the Christian Church?

Christianity more popular in the US than in England.

Peace

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#11269 Jan 14, 2013
Can I be on the pedestal? Because it seems that the population up there is growing with intelligent people with better morals. Down here its just a bunch of websites being thrown around by a man who thinks he has an "S" on his chest screaming what can be translated to " no, YOU'RE stupid" while in his head it was a brilliant argument.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#11270 Jan 14, 2013
Verbose.
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
God
Learn to spell, and don't get so angry and frustrated that you fail to check for your typos before clicking the "post comment" button first. It's bad for your blood pressure. We would hate to lose you.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#11271 Jan 14, 2013
It's not an uncomfortable pedestal, there's a whole world of wonder here, with plenty of room for all freethinkers.
EmpAtheist wrote:
Can I be on the pedestal? Because it seems that the population up there is growing with intelligent people with better morals. Down here its just a bunch of websites being thrown around by a man who thinks he has an "S" on his chest screaming what can be translated to " no, YOU'RE stupid" while in his head it was a brilliant argument.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#11272 Jan 14, 2013
I suspect you are correct.
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect that Dim is well aware of the states where this is legal.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#11273 Jan 14, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you pay taxes in the UK to the Christian Church?
Christianity more popular in the US than in England.
Peace
Churches here are funded by worshippers. I was one of the flock, or is that fleeced? for four years.

Christianity is on the decline everywhere incl the US its just not officially acknowledged.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#11274 Jan 14, 2013
A 2008 interest story about something some random artist wanted to build but never did. Idiot you really need to have someone smart read you these mindless spam posts you clog the thread with.

So anyways why should we accept your god as anything more than the product of someone's imagination?

Stump a theist! Ask them why we should believe!
derek4 wrote:
Did you atheists attend the worship services Sunday at the first temple of science worship?
No? Why didn't you go? Too lazy?
Don't let it happen again. Get on your knees to the science god (whose name is never capitalized).
The included link provides you the details.
http://io9.com/5049671/call-to-worship-at-the...
No copyrighted material was reproduced in this post.
Lincoln

United States

#11275 Jan 14, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Churches here are funded by worshippers. I was one of the flock, or is that fleeced? for four years.
Christianity is on the decline everywhere incl the US its just not officially acknowledged.
How will we determine "an official acknowledgment" ?

President of the US is a Christian as is the VP.

President Obama most likely add

"So Help Me God" and the end of the oath.

Atheist Michael Newdow tried to take the issue ("so help me God") to court but was refused a hearing by the U.S. Supreme Court last year.

Cheers
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#11276 Jan 14, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
So anyways why should we accept your god as anything more than the product of someone's imagination?
Stump a theist! Ask them why we should believe!
<quoted text>
Cause we believe whatever crap we are brought up to believe however crazy. Wait... thats not a very good reason!!
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#11277 Jan 14, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
President of the US is a Christian as is the VP.
This all depends on how your define Christian.

To me a Christian has to believe the tenants of the religion, such as believing the trinity and jesus being God. Does Obama believe a man walked on water, rose from the dead and ascend to heaven on a cloud. Believers will sing eternal praises to yahweh and disbelievers burn in hell. I seriously doubt it.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#11278 Jan 14, 2013
You see Linc, most people who call themselves Christians today are not Christians. They are cultural christians, or christians in name only. They dont understand or take seriously basic church teachings.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#11279 Jan 14, 2013
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
When you choose to remain in ignorance, like Khatru, you diminish yourself. Ask Khatru if there is room on her pedestal for you to sit with her (him).
The Christian God is traditionally capitalized.
Until he proves himself to exist, uncapitalized is more appropriate.
Lincoln

United States

#11280 Jan 14, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
This all depends on how your define Christian.
To me a Christian has to believe the tenants of the religion, such as believing the trinity and jesus being God. Does Obama believe a man walked on water, rose from the dead and ascend to heaven on a cloud. Believers will sing eternal praises to yahweh and disbelievers burn in hell. I seriously doubt it.
You might write as ask the President his beliefs.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#11281 Jan 14, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
There's that cheap Christian forgiveness on demand. And no, Mr. Haggard's hypocritical homophobia is not forgiven. I don't forgive it, and I doubt too many other skeptics do, either. I hold the good reverend accountable whether he mutters demands at his ceiling fan or not. And not for snorting illicit powders off of the nut-sack of his man-whore in a motel, but for being a hateful and hypocritical homophobe like his god, and teaching others to be as well.
Lincoln wrote:
Are there too many uses of " I" in this post?
No.

Good question, though. http://blog.newsok.com/television/files/2009/... [image]

==========

Are you Lincoln? Here's my favorite quote said to be from you:

"Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica."

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#11282 Jan 14, 2013
derek4 wrote:
Christianity wins, evolution fails.
Dead church walking.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr Eagle 12 2,282
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 1 hr Geezerjock 1
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Geezerjock 232,902
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 5 hr _Bad Company 143
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 17 hr polymath257 23,199
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 23 hr Yiago 148
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) Sat thetruth 34
More from around the web