Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments
10,601 - 10,620 of 11,175 Comments Last updated Jan 18, 2014

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Nice try twisting words
Your tactics are getting old try something else.
What's being twisted?

Your list of wars based on Atheism included the American War of Independence.

The war was initially between Britain and the colonies but when the founding fathers signed their declaration, it became a war against the USA as well as against France, Spain and Holland.

You say it was based on Atheism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Revolut...

It wasn't - it was political.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>So since you are saying God didn't make hell who did?
Key Facts About Eternity

(1) Everyone will exist eternally either in heaven or hell (Daniel 12:2,3; Matthew 25:46; John 5:28; Revelation 20:14,15).

(2) Everyone has only one life in which to determine their destiny (Hebrews 9:27).

(3) Heaven or hell is determined by whether a person believes (puts their trust) in Christ alone to save them (John 3:16, 36, etc.).

Key Passages About Hell
(1) Hell was designed originally for Satan and his demons (Matthew 25:41; Revelation 20:10).

(2) Hell will also punish the sin of those who reject Christ (Matthew 13:41,50; Revelation 20:11-15; 21:8).

(3) Hell is conscious torment.

Matthew 13:50 “furnace of fire…weeping and gnashing of teeth”

Mark 9:48 “where their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched”

Revelation 14:10 “he will be tormented with fire and brimstone”

(4) Hell is eternal and irreversible.

Revelation 14:11 “the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever and they have no rest day and night”

Revelation 20:14 “This is the second death, the lake of fire”

Revelation 20:15 “If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire”

Erroneous Views of Hell

(1) The second chance view – After death there is still a way to escape hell.

Answer:“It is appointed unto men once to die and after that the judgment”(Hebrews 9:27).

(2) Universalism – All are eternally saved.

Answer: It denies the truth of salvation through Christ which means that a person decides to either trust in Christ or else he/she rejects Christ and goes to hell (John 3:16;3:36).

(3) Annihilationism – Hell means a person dies like an animal – ceases to exist.

Answer: It denies the resurrection of the unsaved (John 5:28, etc.– see above). It denies conscious torment (see above).

Objections to the Biblical View of Hell
(1) A loving God would not send people to a horrible hell.

Response: God is just (Romans 2:11).

God has provided the way of salvation to all (John 3:16,17; 2 Corinthians 5:14,15; 1 Timothy 2:6; 4:10; Titus 2:11; 2 Peter 3:9).

Even those who haven’t heard of Christ are accountable for God’s revelation in nature (Romans 1:20). God will seek those who seek Him (Matthew 7:7; Luke 19:10).

Therefore God doesn’t send people to hell, they choose it (Romans 1:18,21,25).

(2) Hell is too severe a punishment for man’s sin.

Response: God is holy-perfect (1 Peter 1:14,15).

Sin is willful opposition to God our creator (Romans 1:18-32).
Our sin does merit hell (Romans 1:32; 2:2,5,6)

What is unfair and amazing is that Christ died for our sin and freely offers salvation to all (Romans 2:4; 3:22-24; 4:7,8; 5:8,9).

Biblical Terms Describing Where the Dead Are

Sheol - a Hebrew term simply describing “the grave” or “death”– Does not refer to “hell” specifically

Hades - A Greek term that usually refers to hell – a place of torment (Luke 10:15; 16:23, etc.)

Gehenna - A Greek term (borrowed from a literal burning dump near Jerusalem) that always refers to hell –
a place of torment (Matthew 5:30; 23:33)

“Lake of fire”- the final abode of unbelievers after they are resurrected (Revelation 20:14,15)

Conclusion
Our curiosity about the abode of the dead is not completely satisfied by biblical terms or verses. What we do know is that either eternal torment in hell or eternal joy in heaven awaits all people after death, based on whether they trust in Christ’s payment for sin or reject Christ.

http://bible.org/article/what-bible-says-abou...
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>According to the Bible, Moses went up Mount Sinai a few times.

While he was up there, down below at the foot of the mountain were approximately 3 million Jews, 600,000 goats and sheep, 300,000 cattle and about 10,000 wagons.

I guess you know that not a single campsite, midden or sign of occupation has been found in Sinai.

Why do you think that is?

Perhaps it's because this is just a myth?
"Why do you think that is?"

Because no one has found one yet.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Not too much for me - I know it's all BS

Not so you believers, who can't agree among yourselves which version of your death cult is the correct one.
You don't know what I believe. Funny your little word game. Adding words twisting words anything but the truth that would be against your religion.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Going by your name, I thought you'd use the King James Version:

Ye are my witnesses, saith the Lord, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Here we can clearly see your god referring to a time before and after him.
Another translation:

New Living Translation (©2007)
Isaiah 43:10
"But you are my witnesses, O Israel!" says the LORD. "You are my servant. You have been chosen to know me, believe in me, and understand that I alone am God. There is no other God--there never has been, and there never will be.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>I was simply taking one of the many spectacular successes of science
So you will now accept anything with the science stamp on it.

Rather pitiful!
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Smartest man in American believes in God.

"Christopher Michael Langan (born c. 1952) is an American autodidact whose IQ was reported by 20/20 and other media sources to have been measured at between 195 and 210. Billed by some media sources as "the smartest man in America", he rose to prominence in 1999 while working as a bouncer on Long Island. Langan has developed his own "theory of the relationship between mind and reality" which he calls the "Cognitive-Theoretic Model of the Universe (CTMU)"

Heard this guy on coast to coast am recently, and found him pretty fascinating. Anyways, here are quotes from him on wikipedia;

I believe in the theory of evolution, but I believe as well in the allegorical truth of creation theory. In other words, I believe that evolution, including the principle of natural selection, is one of the tools used by God to create mankind. Mankind is then a participant in the creation of the universe itself, so that we have a closed loop. I believe that there is a level on which science and religious metaphor are mutually compatible.

Langan explains on his website that he believes "since Biblical accounts of the genesis of our world and species are true but metaphorical, our task is to correctly decipher the metaphor in light of scientific evidence also given to us by God". He explains

In explaining this relationship, the CTMU shows that reality possesses a complex property akin to self-awareness. That is, just as the mind is real, reality is in some respects like a mind. But when we attempt to answer the obvious question "whose mind?", the answer turns out to be a mathematical and scientific definition of God. This implies that we all exist in what can be called "the Mind of God", and that our individual minds are parts of God's Mind. They are not as powerful as God's Mind, for they are only parts thereof; yet, they are directly connected to the greatest source of knowledge and power that exists. This connection of our minds to the Mind of God, which is like the connection of parts to a whole, is what we sometimes call the soul or spirit, and it is the most crucial and essential part of being human."

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread913...
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Professor S.W.Hawking
Adds 1.3 billion years to the age of the universes!

Science and it's dating things. LOL

http://www.hawking.org.uk/life-in-the-univers...
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

The New Yorker

"Last week, Gallup announced the results of their latest survey on Americans and evolution. The numbers were a stark blow to high-school science teachers everywhere: forty-six per cent of adults said they believed that “God created humans in their present form within the last 10,000 years.” Only fifteen per cent agreed with the statement that humans had evolved without the guidance of a divine power.
What’s most remarkable about these numbers is their stability: these percentages have remained virtually unchanged since Gallup began asking the question, thirty years ago. In 1982, forty-four per cent of Americans held strictly creationist views, a statistically insignificant difference from 2012. Furthermore, the percentage of Americans that believe in biological evolution has only increased by four percentage points over the last twenty years."

http://m.newyorker.com/online/blogs/frontal-c...

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
What's being twisted?
The war was initially between Britain and the colonies but when the founding fathers signed their declaration, it became a war against the USA as well as against France, Spain and Holland.
An understanding of history requires a certain amount of intelligence.

And let's be honest...that's not really KJV's strong suit...
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Make sense or shut up
Look who's talking. LOL
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>You flatter me.

While I fully understand your inferiority complex, there's really no need to place me on such a pedestal.
Ignorance is bliss.
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Founding Fathers were not as a group Atheists.

We have Secular State
with
In God We Trust.

A balance
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignorance is bliss.
K*atru seems to have toned down the the usual nonsense and may learn to spell God
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>The majority of the world's Christians have no problem with Evolution.

Get used to it.
"If evolution is true, then the entire narrative of the Bible has to be revised and reinterpreted. The evolutionary account is not only incompatible with any historical affirmation of Genesis, but it is also incompatible with the claim that all humanity is descended from Adam and the claim that in Adam all humanity fell into sin and guilt. The Bible’s account of the Fall and its consequences is utterly incompatible with evolutionary theory. The third chapter of Genesis is as problematic for evolutionary theory as the first two.
The naturalistic evolutionists are now pressing their case in moral as well as intellectual terms. Increasingly, they are arguing that a refusal to accept evolution represents a thought crime of sorts. They are using all the tools and arguments at their disposal to discredit any denial of evolution and to marginalize voices who question the dogma of Darwinism. They are working hard to establish unquestioned belief in evolution as the only right-minded and publicly acceptable position. They have already succeeded among the intellectual elites. Their main project now is the projection of this victory throughout popular culture.
Among the theistic evolutionists, the issues are becoming clearer almost every day that passes. Proponents of theistic evolution are now engaged in the public rejection of biblical inerrancy – with some calling the affirmation of the Bible’s inerrancy as an intellectual disaster and “intellectual cul-de-sac.” Others now openly assert that we must forfeit belief in an historical Adam, an historical Fall, and a universal Flood.
Thus, the vise of evolutionary theory is now revealing the fault lines of the current debate. There can be no question but that the authority of the Bible and the truthfulness of the Gospel are now clearly at stake. The New Testament clearly establishes the Gospel of Jesus Christ upon the foundation of the Bible’s account of creation. If there was no historical Adam and no historical Fall, the Gospel is no longer understood in biblical terms.
This is the new shape of the debate over evolution. We now face the undeniable truth that the most basic and fundamental questions of biblical authority and gospel integrity are at stake. Are you ready for this debate?"

http://m.christianpost.com/news/creation-vs-e...
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>What's being twisted?

Nice the way you left off the "or non religious based wars"

More little word games. That's all you have never anything but twisting word games. Either adding words or removing them or rearranging them. Never a thing of real data to enter.

You are a puppet and do nothing more then entertainment.

Rather sad you can't see how pathetic you come across.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>K*atru seems to have toned down the the usual nonsense and may learn to spell God
Don't hold your breath. He's a block head made from wood just like his avatar.
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't hold your breath. He's a block head made from wood just like his avatar.
atheists in UK pays taxes to the established churches?
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Which god? There are so many.

www.godchecker.com
Lincoln wrote:
Founding Fathers were not as a group Atheists.
We have Secular State
with
In God We Trust.
A balance
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Which god? There are so many.

www.godchecker.com
Well given the fact that God was capitalized that would affirm that it was the God of the Bible he was talking about.

"Do You Capitalize the Word "God"?
One of the most common questions people ask about religious words is whether to capitalize the word “god.” The name of any specific deity is capitalized just like any other name, so when “God” is used to refer to “the one God,”(in other words, in any monotheistic religion) it is capitalized. "

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/do-you-c...

"Indeed, it would be rather juvenile to misspell God simply in order to insult theists. If such an atheist had so little respect for another person, why even waste the time writing to them in the first place, much less deliberately trying to hurt them at the same time? While that may actually be the case with some atheists who write the word 'god' with a lowercase 'g,' "

http://atheism.about.com/od/doesgodexist/a/ca...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••