Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11178 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#11166 Jan 13, 2013
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Haggard wasn't a serial killer. However, atheist Stalin, whom Khatru admires, was one of the biggest mass murderers of all time. Atheists often defend Stalin. I'm sure you're one of those who admired him, since he closed churches and murdered Christians. You and Stalin won't be “sitting at the right hand of God”.
Yawn...yet another non sequitur....so sad that you can't defend your own religion.

Maybe if you search the internet really hard, you'll find some answer that you can cut and paste...
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#11167 Jan 13, 2013
You're wrong.
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't resist calling names can you? It shows your childishness, but go ahead and prove you have no class - we all know it anyway, lol.
Thinking? When will you START thinking? No evidence shows you ever think.
And you don't have much of a memory, since I've already said many times I don't need to defend links on the internet, lol. Each person can decide for themselves, for example, if a link about fraudulent science has merit, or if they want to be like you and defend corrupt science.
It's interesting that you feel such a burning desire to defend science – like it's going to crumble unless you hold it up.
You also enjoy defending fraud, which tells us a lot about your character.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#11168 Jan 13, 2013
?

The majority of christians accept Evolution.
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity wins, evolution fails.
Lincoln

United States

#11169 Jan 13, 2013
Thinking wrote:
?
The majority of Christians accept Evolution.
<quoted text>
Depending on Christian denomination, Yes !
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#11170 Jan 13, 2013
The majority do.
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Depending on Christian denomination, Yes !
KJV

United States

#11171 Jan 13, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Considering you actually think you'd enjoy an eternity of just worshiping some god .... you obviously have no clue.
I will enjoy an eternity in heaven.

I don't need any clues. I have the complete answer.
KJV

United States

#11172 Jan 13, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, we know. Men lactate.
World English Bible
His pails are full of milk. The marrow of his bones is moistened.

Ya right.
KJV

United States

#11173 Jan 13, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>atheist or non religion based wars!

Ok take these five.

4)How were the Napoleonic War, atheist?

5.)The Revolutions in the Americas
North Ameria?
South America?
Peru and Argentine experiences was different.
How were they atheist.

3.)The French Revolution certainly, you could defend this, atheism played a part.!!!!

2.)The American Revolution had God fearing people on both sides. Are you confusing secularism with atheism.

1.) The Seven Years War (Britain & France) Protestant Britain/(England at the time) against Catholic France.

OK - You are correct with the French Revolution.

List is too long and often in error.

Peace
No errors atheist or non religion based wars far out way religious based wars.
KJV

United States

#11174 Jan 13, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>You're that creepy guy who admitted he's just here for attention and to get a rise out of people, right?

You should feel free to never, ever respond to my posts.

You should feel free to start now.
And your here in full believe of converting people?

What is your goal here other then entertainment?

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#11175 Jan 13, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
No errors atheist or non religion based wars far out way religious based wars.
Ah, so the US Founding Fathers were Atheists?

You should have just said that at the start rather than saying that the American War of Independence was based on Atheism.
KJV

United States

#11176 Jan 13, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Ah, so the US Founding Fathers were Atheists?

You should have just said that at the start rather than saying that the American War of Independence was based on Atheism.
Nope. Nice try twisting words
Your tactics are getting old try something else.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#11177 Jan 13, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Nice try twisting words
Your tactics are getting old try something else.
What's being twisted?

Your list of wars based on Atheism included the American War of Independence.

The war was initially between Britain and the colonies but when the founding fathers signed their declaration, it became a war against the USA as well as against France, Spain and Holland.

You say it was based on Atheism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Revolut...

It wasn't - it was political.
KJV

United States

#11178 Jan 13, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>So since you are saying God didn't make hell who did?
Key Facts About Eternity

(1) Everyone will exist eternally either in heaven or hell (Daniel 12:2,3; Matthew 25:46; John 5:28; Revelation 20:14,15).

(2) Everyone has only one life in which to determine their destiny (Hebrews 9:27).

(3) Heaven or hell is determined by whether a person believes (puts their trust) in Christ alone to save them (John 3:16, 36, etc.).

Key Passages About Hell
(1) Hell was designed originally for Satan and his demons (Matthew 25:41; Revelation 20:10).

(2) Hell will also punish the sin of those who reject Christ (Matthew 13:41,50; Revelation 20:11-15; 21:8).

(3) Hell is conscious torment.

Matthew 13:50 “furnace of fire…weeping and gnashing of teeth”

Mark 9:48 “where their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched”

Revelation 14:10 “he will be tormented with fire and brimstone”

(4) Hell is eternal and irreversible.

Revelation 14:11 “the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever and they have no rest day and night”

Revelation 20:14 “This is the second death, the lake of fire”

Revelation 20:15 “If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire”

Erroneous Views of Hell

(1) The second chance view – After death there is still a way to escape hell.

Answer:“It is appointed unto men once to die and after that the judgment”(Hebrews 9:27).

(2) Universalism – All are eternally saved.

Answer: It denies the truth of salvation through Christ which means that a person decides to either trust in Christ or else he/she rejects Christ and goes to hell (John 3:16;3:36).

(3) Annihilationism – Hell means a person dies like an animal – ceases to exist.

Answer: It denies the resurrection of the unsaved (John 5:28, etc.– see above). It denies conscious torment (see above).

Objections to the Biblical View of Hell
(1) A loving God would not send people to a horrible hell.

Response: God is just (Romans 2:11).

God has provided the way of salvation to all (John 3:16,17; 2 Corinthians 5:14,15; 1 Timothy 2:6; 4:10; Titus 2:11; 2 Peter 3:9).

Even those who haven’t heard of Christ are accountable for God’s revelation in nature (Romans 1:20). God will seek those who seek Him (Matthew 7:7; Luke 19:10).

Therefore God doesn’t send people to hell, they choose it (Romans 1:18,21,25).

(2) Hell is too severe a punishment for man’s sin.

Response: God is holy-perfect (1 Peter 1:14,15).

Sin is willful opposition to God our creator (Romans 1:18-32).
Our sin does merit hell (Romans 1:32; 2:2,5,6)

What is unfair and amazing is that Christ died for our sin and freely offers salvation to all (Romans 2:4; 3:22-24; 4:7,8; 5:8,9).

Biblical Terms Describing Where the Dead Are

Sheol - a Hebrew term simply describing “the grave” or “death”– Does not refer to “hell” specifically

Hades - A Greek term that usually refers to hell – a place of torment (Luke 10:15; 16:23, etc.)

Gehenna - A Greek term (borrowed from a literal burning dump near Jerusalem) that always refers to hell –
a place of torment (Matthew 5:30; 23:33)

“Lake of fire”- the final abode of unbelievers after they are resurrected (Revelation 20:14,15)

Conclusion
Our curiosity about the abode of the dead is not completely satisfied by biblical terms or verses. What we do know is that either eternal torment in hell or eternal joy in heaven awaits all people after death, based on whether they trust in Christ’s payment for sin or reject Christ.

http://bible.org/article/what-bible-says-abou...
KJV

United States

#11179 Jan 13, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>According to the Bible, Moses went up Mount Sinai a few times.

While he was up there, down below at the foot of the mountain were approximately 3 million Jews, 600,000 goats and sheep, 300,000 cattle and about 10,000 wagons.

I guess you know that not a single campsite, midden or sign of occupation has been found in Sinai.

Why do you think that is?

Perhaps it's because this is just a myth?
"Why do you think that is?"

Because no one has found one yet.
KJV

United States

#11180 Jan 13, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Not too much for me - I know it's all BS

Not so you believers, who can't agree among yourselves which version of your death cult is the correct one.
You don't know what I believe. Funny your little word game. Adding words twisting words anything but the truth that would be against your religion.
KJV

United States

#11181 Jan 13, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Going by your name, I thought you'd use the King James Version:

Ye are my witnesses, saith the Lord, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Here we can clearly see your god referring to a time before and after him.
Another translation:

New Living Translation (©2007)
Isaiah 43:10
"But you are my witnesses, O Israel!" says the LORD. "You are my servant. You have been chosen to know me, believe in me, and understand that I alone am God. There is no other God--there never has been, and there never will be.
KJV

United States

#11182 Jan 13, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>I was simply taking one of the many spectacular successes of science
So you will now accept anything with the science stamp on it.

Rather pitiful!
KJV

United States

#11183 Jan 13, 2013
Smartest man in American believes in God.

"Christopher Michael Langan (born c. 1952) is an American autodidact whose IQ was reported by 20/20 and other media sources to have been measured at between 195 and 210. Billed by some media sources as "the smartest man in America", he rose to prominence in 1999 while working as a bouncer on Long Island. Langan has developed his own "theory of the relationship between mind and reality" which he calls the "Cognitive-Theoretic Model of the Universe (CTMU)"

Heard this guy on coast to coast am recently, and found him pretty fascinating. Anyways, here are quotes from him on wikipedia;

I believe in the theory of evolution, but I believe as well in the allegorical truth of creation theory. In other words, I believe that evolution, including the principle of natural selection, is one of the tools used by God to create mankind. Mankind is then a participant in the creation of the universe itself, so that we have a closed loop. I believe that there is a level on which science and religious metaphor are mutually compatible.

Langan explains on his website that he believes "since Biblical accounts of the genesis of our world and species are true but metaphorical, our task is to correctly decipher the metaphor in light of scientific evidence also given to us by God". He explains

In explaining this relationship, the CTMU shows that reality possesses a complex property akin to self-awareness. That is, just as the mind is real, reality is in some respects like a mind. But when we attempt to answer the obvious question "whose mind?", the answer turns out to be a mathematical and scientific definition of God. This implies that we all exist in what can be called "the Mind of God", and that our individual minds are parts of God's Mind. They are not as powerful as God's Mind, for they are only parts thereof; yet, they are directly connected to the greatest source of knowledge and power that exists. This connection of our minds to the Mind of God, which is like the connection of parts to a whole, is what we sometimes call the soul or spirit, and it is the most crucial and essential part of being human."

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread913...
KJV

United States

#11184 Jan 13, 2013
Professor S.W.Hawking
Adds 1.3 billion years to the age of the universes!

Science and it's dating things. LOL

http://www.hawking.org.uk/life-in-the-univers...
KJV

United States

#11185 Jan 13, 2013
The New Yorker

"Last week, Gallup announced the results of their latest survey on Americans and evolution. The numbers were a stark blow to high-school science teachers everywhere: forty-six per cent of adults said they believed that “God created humans in their present form within the last 10,000 years.” Only fifteen per cent agreed with the statement that humans had evolved without the guidance of a divine power.
What’s most remarkable about these numbers is their stability: these percentages have remained virtually unchanged since Gallup began asking the question, thirty years ago. In 1982, forty-four per cent of Americans held strictly creationist views, a statistically insignificant difference from 2012. Furthermore, the percentage of Americans that believe in biological evolution has only increased by four percentage points over the last twenty years."

http://m.newyorker.com/online/blogs/frontal-c...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 18 min Christyna 29,408
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 31 min Christyna 11,272
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 2 hr Richardfs 50,921
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 2 hr Richardfs 9,577
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 8 hr Rosa_Winkel 254,885
What is of greater value for humanity: Chrisita... 10 hr Richardfs 343
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 10 hr Christyna 3,508
More from around the web