Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#11033 Jan 12, 2013
Atheism is unscientific.

51% of scientists believe in a higher power when the Pew Research Center polled members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. Article was November, 2012.

(The other 49% are probably the ones engaging in scientific fraud, lol.)

http://www.science20.com/cool-links/atheism_u...

No copyrighted material was reproduced in this post.

Location hidden

#11034 Jan 12, 2013
Information in the included link on The Sunday Assembly, new atheist church in London.

(Look for an atheist church in your area. If there isn't one yet, it may be coming soon.)

http://simonjenkins.com/blog/entry/church_for...

Location hidden

#11035 Jan 12, 2013
From January, 2013:

Read about The First Atheist Church of London

(Atheism is a religion.)

http://www.realclearreligion.org/2013/01/08/t...

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#11036 Jan 12, 2013
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember you told us once you weren't much interested in Darwin. And, of course, you're absolutely right, he no longer exists.
Did you just figure it out, that the man was dead and gone?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#11037 Jan 12, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>But none in your rigid dogma, laughing boy, which is why it is being so easily shattered by the more intellectually supple science.
http://images.hollywood.com/site/COTT_Hamlin....
Nice dress.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#11038 Jan 12, 2013
<quoted text>Your religion has the sickest definition of love going. You call the most vicious monster in all of fiction omnibenevolent - the one said to have subjected humanity to multiple genocides, a flood, an apocalypse, and then plans to keep his soul alive to experience agonizing pain for eternity in a torture pit he built run by a demon god that he made. This is what Christians call perfect love.

[1] Mother Teresa learned to "think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." It's easy to see how looking at an image of Christ on a crucifix. As a result, she sent millions of dollars donated to her hospices to comfort the dying poor to the Vatican treasury, and just let them suffer.

[2] Here's a little more Christian love: "I want you to just let a wave of intolerance wash over you. I want you to let a wave of hatred wash over you. Yes, hate is good...Our goal is a Christian nation. We have a Biblical duty, we are called by God, to conquer this country. We don't want equal time. We don't want pluralism." - Randall Terry, Founder of Operation Rescue. 1993

[3] From the loving Martin Luther:“What shall we Christians do with this rejected and condemned people, the Jews? First, to set fire to their synagogues or schools and to bury and cover with dirt whatever will not burn. Second, I advise that their houses also be razed and destroyed. Third, I advise that all their prayer books and Talmudic writings, in which such idolatry, lies, cursing, and blasphemy are taught, be taken from them."

[4] From Hitler: "In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison."

[5] From Bush Sr.: "No, I don’t know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God.”

And some more from less well known Christians :

[6]“I figured a way out — a way to get rid of all the lesbians and queers. But I couldn’t get it passed through Congress. Build a great big large fence, 150 or 100 mile (sic) long. Put all the lesbians in there. Fly over and drop some food. Do the same thing with the queers and the homosexuals. Have that fence electrified so they can’t get out. Feed ‘em, and– And you know what? In a few years they’ll die out. You know why? They can’t reproduce.”- North Carolina Pastor Charles Worley

[7] And from this thread, we have Langoliers at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... : " God needs no help he just lets us have some fun, he waiting to wipe you off the face of the earth because he said we need to have some fun. So he left 2.3% of all atheist on earth for us to torment."

[8] And also from this thread is KJV at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... : "You see we just want to make sure that while you're not in heaven but in the other place we want you to relive all of these moments that put you there. To haunt you for all eternity while flames burn the flesh off of your bones."

[9] From our good friend Just Results at http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TB4V0KF... : "I am so thrilled that smelly greasy shit like you will endure thermal and mechanical tortures for eternity in Hell. Hopefully you are involved in a tragic metal crushing car accident, resulting in your beheadedness, you awful demented dehumanizing sack of trash." His Christian buddy agreed with him.

Sorry, but you people haven't got a clue what love is.
Makes me want to go out and convert.

Heer ah come, jeeeesus!!!

Hallebarry.
tagit

UK

#11039 Jan 12, 2013
<quoted text>
Rationalists don't choose our beliefs based on how comfortable or important they make us feel.
It is no defense of superstition and pseudoscience to say that it brings solace and comfort to peopleIf solace and comfort are how we judge the worth of something, then consider that tobacco brings solace and comfort to smokers; alcohol brings it to drinkers; drugs of all kinds bring it to addicts; the fall of cards and the run of horses bring it to gamblers; cruelty and violence bring it to sociopaths. Judge by solace and comfort only and there is no behavior we ought to interfere with.- Isaac Asimov
Beliefs should be based on evidence. Reality is a little intimidating, but with perseverance, you can learn to stand upright and face it on its own terms. Try standing up like the bipedal ape you were born to be, and look out into the universe, which may be almost empty, and which may contain no gods at all. Then face and accept the very real possibility that we may be all there is for light years.
Accept that you may be vulnerable and not watched over.
Accept the likelihood of your own mortality and finititude.
Accept the reality of your insignificance everywhere but earth, and that you might be unloved except by those who know you - people, and maybe a few animals.
Because as far as we know, that's how it is.
It's more difficult at first than the comforting swaddling of religion, but be brave! Religion's comfort comes at a great price. It's infantilizing, and costs you your only shot at a mature, authentic,self-actualized existence.
For example, with an imagined baby sitter watching, judging,and potentially rewarding or punishing him 24/7, a theist can never know the ineffable joy of doing good for goodness sake, with no expectation that anyone will ever praise or reward him for it.
Definitely a lengthy rambling post ignoring the obvious. What do you think hedonism is, a disinterest in personal comfort and feeling significant? We are surrounded with examples of unbridled human narcissism and gluttony. In the secular society, social acceptability replaces the cross as an object of longing!

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#11040 Jan 12, 2013
As has already been demonstrated to you at least a half dozen times the majority of hospitals day cares and charities are secular ( non religious )
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you volunteer to do something worthwhile, like picking up litter on the roadways in your county? That would be far more worthwhhile than attempting to explain things you don't grasp.
Oh yes, and tell us again about the atheist charities and hospitals that help fellow man. We didn't find much on that. And tell us about the atheist day care centers, lol.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#11041 Jan 12, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
You do realize that irreducible complexity was already debunked
derek4 wrote:
Unfortunately for you, it remains a matter of debate, lol. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14756332
Yet again, your link fails to support your claim, laughing boy.

Fennario

#11042 Jan 12, 2013
derek4 wrote:
fraudulent science is a threat to you and your godless belief. It's no threat to me, since I reject it.
You have it backwards: Authentic science, which debunks the claims of Genesis and Exodus, is a threat to your church.

Fennario

#11043 Jan 12, 2013
derek4 wrote:
51% of scientists believe in a higher power
Me, too. Lightning, for one.

Christians believe in a lower bower. Most of the skeptics here have higher moral standards than your god. I,for example, would never torture anybody for even an hour, let alone for eternity.

Fennario

#11045 Jan 12, 2013
tagit wrote:
What do you think hedonism is, a disinterest in personal comfort and feeling significant?
Why ask me?
tagit wrote:
We are surrounded with examples of unbridled human narcissism and gluttony.
There's that deep Christian misanthropic pessimism chiseled by decades of hearing you how useless and depraved man is, and how horrible the world is.

Humanism offers a much cheerier perspective. No sin, no perdition, no judgment, no demons, and no damnation - just a love of mankind, a respect for the planet and life in general, a love of justice and of truth, and an optimism for the future and man's incredible potential based on his historical arc.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#11046 Jan 12, 2013
BS.

Dick4cm repeatedly posted that he doesn't care about the content of his links.

So neither do I.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Posted earlier by derek4
Study: Atheists Have Lowest 'Retention Rate' Compared to Religious Groups
Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.
There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist.
Continued:
Gray also noted that, "of those raised as atheists, 30% are now affiliated with a Protestant denomination, 10% are Catholic, 2% are Jewish, 1% are Mormon, and 1% are Pagan."
Jehovah's Witness, congregationalist and holiness churches had the next lowest retention rates at 37 percent, 37 percent and 32 percent, respectively. Thirty-eight percent of those who grew up with no particular religious faith or belief system remained that way.
Hindus had the highest retention rate at 84 percent, followed by Jews (76 percent), Muslims (76 percent), Greek Orthodox (73 percent), Mormons (70 percent) and Catholics (68 percent).
Baptists had the highest retention rate of the Protestant Christian categories at 60 percent, followed by Lutheran (59 percent) and Pentecostal (50 percent).
http://www.christianpost.com/news/study-athei...
[Right; NO thinking people don't want to be atheists.]
July, 2012
“Atheists abandon their beliefs more often than people in other religious groups, study finds”
A new study has found that people raised in an atheist home abandon those beliefs as adults more often than people raised with other religious belief systems, putting atheism at a 30 percent retention rate. Conclusions and interpretations of the study are that atheists are more often "made" as adults rather than "raised." The highest retention rates are in the Hindu faith, which holds onto about 84 percent of adherents.
Those who grow up in an atheist household are least likely to maintain their beliefs about religion as adults, according to a study by Georgetown University's Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA).
Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.
There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765589392/...
[Who would want to be an atheist? LOL]
KJV

United States

#11048 Jan 12, 2013
<quoted text>"His breasts are full of milk." - Job 21:24

WTF?
New International Version (©1984)
his body well nourished, his bones rich with marrow.

New Living Translation (©2007)
the picture of good health, vigorous and fit.

English Standard Version (©2001)
his pails full of milk and the marrow of his bones moist.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
His sides are filled out with fat, And the marrow of his bones is moist,

Holman Christian Standard Bible (©2009)
His body is well fed, and his bones are full of marrow.

International Standard Version (©2012)
His buckets are filled with milk, his bone marrow is healthy.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
His breasts are full of milk, and his bones are moistened with marrow.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
His stomach is full of milk, and his bones are strong and healthy.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)

American King James Version

American Standard Version
His pails are full of milk, And the marrow of his bones is moistened.

Douay-Rheims Bible
His bowels are full of fat, and his bones are moistened with marrow.

Darby Bible Translation
His sides are full of fat, and the marrow of his bones is moistened;

English Revised Version
His breasts are full of milk, and the marrow of his bones is moistened.

Webster's Bible Translation

World English Bible
His pails are full of milk. The marrow of his bones is moistened.

Young's Literal Translation
His breasts have been full of milk, And marrow his bones doth moisten.
KJV

United States

#11049 Jan 12, 2013
<quoted text>KJV wrote, "We do not know what is outside of our universe other then there is a heaven and a hell. That there is a God and Angels. I will not go down any road that would be pure speculation. No need for that."

I'm afraid that that ship long since has sailed.

It also dodges the question. How could an infinite god exist undesigned if you claim that simpler things like life allegedly cannot?

You don't need to answer. Your refusal is your answer.
God has alway been and will always be.
Humans can not grasp this. It would be like a 2 dimensional object trying to understand the 3rd dimension.

Or yet trying to understand the 5th dimension.

"Whether you believe an artist launches a songwriter’s career or vice versa, it’s undeniable that the talented 5th Dimension had a creative formula that benefitted writers, the public, and themselves.

The group formed because of a beauty contest winner and a photographer. Lamonte McLemore was a photographer and his subject was Miss Bronze America of 1963, Marilyn McCoo. They decided to merge their gospel singing interests and form a group with fellow Los Angeles residents Harry Elston and Floyed Butler. The foursome hooked up with Ray Charles for a six-month tour but Elston and Butler left to form a separate group, the Friends of Distinction (RCA). Lamonte went back to picture-taking and Marilyn became an executive trainee at a department store."

But I regress.
KJV

United States

#11050 Jan 12, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>If he could at this time, he would assuredly win a Nobel prize.
No doubt!

Explaining how the rock had produced life would well be worth a Nobel prize.
KJV

United States

#11051 Jan 12, 2013
<quoted text>One of your premises is flawed. Atheism is not the firm belief that no god exists. It's the rejection of unfounded claims about gods, often accompanied by the tentative belief -not firm - that there are probably no gods.

It's the word firm that distinguishes between religious faith and secular belief. Religious faith is 100% certain without evidence and despite contradictory evidence. Show me a god, and I'm a believer that day. Bill Maher said it well:

"I’m open to anything for which there is evidence. Show me a god and I will believe in him. If Jesus Christ comes down from the sky during the halftime show of this Sunday’s Super Bowl and turns all the nachos into loaves and fishes, I’ll think ...“Oh look at that, I was wrong. There he is. My bad. Praise the lord!"

That is not firm belief based on nothing, which is what religion is. That is tentative belief commensurate with present evidence.
"Atheism is not the firm belief that no god exists. It's the rejection of unfounded claims about gods, "

Accept the dictionary does not say that, it states:

Merriam-Webster

athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
: one who believes that there is no deity

Totally contradicts your claim of the definition doesn't it? Remember I didn't write the dictionary I just read it.
KJV

United States

#11052 Jan 12, 2013
<quoted text>Science will be the death of faith, which of course is why you attack it so viciously and single-mindedly, like some kind of pus cell defending a wound.
Are we to accept anything that has a science stamp on it with out question. Has science earned this right?
I think not.
KJV

United States

#11053 Jan 12, 2013
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>I remember you told us once you weren't much interested in Darwin. And, of course, you're absolutely right, he no longer exists.
"Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>True, I take no notice of that which does not exist."

LOL yup Darwin no longer exist.
KJV

United States

#11054 Jan 12, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Did you just figure it out, that the man was dead and gone?
Why no we knew it. Thing is you are the one that claimed not to believe in anything that doesn't exist and that of course would include Darwin for he no longer exist.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Heaven 53 min Reason Personified 44
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Reason Personified 1,107
Man center of the universe. 1 hr Reason Personified 159
Evidence for God! 2 hr Uncle Sam 51
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Dave Nelson 231,016
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 14 hr fadu singh 23,043
Former Atheist Academic Who Rejected God and Be... 21 hr Hooogle It 77

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE