Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11177 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#11043 Jan 12, 2013
derek4 wrote:
51% of scientists believe in a “higher power”
Me, too. Lightning, for one.

Christians believe in a lower bower. Most of the skeptics here have higher moral standards than your god. I,for example, would never torture anybody for even an hour, let alone for eternity.

Fennario

#11045 Jan 12, 2013
tagit wrote:
What do you think hedonism is, a disinterest in personal comfort and feeling significant?
Why ask me?
tagit wrote:
We are surrounded with examples of unbridled human narcissism and gluttony.
There's that deep Christian misanthropic pessimism chiseled by decades of hearing you how useless and depraved man is, and how horrible the world is.

Humanism offers a much cheerier perspective. No sin, no perdition, no judgment, no demons, and no damnation - just a love of mankind, a respect for the planet and life in general, a love of justice and of truth, and an optimism for the future and man's incredible potential based on his historical arc.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#11046 Jan 12, 2013
BS.

Dick4cm repeatedly posted that he doesn't care about the content of his links.

So neither do I.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Posted earlier by derek4
Study: Atheists Have Lowest 'Retention Rate' Compared to Religious Groups
Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.
There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist.
Continued:
Gray also noted that, "of those raised as atheists, 30% are now affiliated with a Protestant denomination, 10% are Catholic, 2% are Jewish, 1% are Mormon, and 1% are Pagan."
Jehovah's Witness, congregationalist and holiness churches had the next lowest retention rates at 37 percent, 37 percent and 32 percent, respectively. Thirty-eight percent of those who grew up with no particular religious faith or belief system remained that way.
Hindus had the highest retention rate at 84 percent, followed by Jews (76 percent), Muslims (76 percent), Greek Orthodox (73 percent), Mormons (70 percent) and Catholics (68 percent).
Baptists had the highest retention rate of the Protestant Christian categories at 60 percent, followed by Lutheran (59 percent) and Pentecostal (50 percent).
http://www.christianpost.com/news/study-athei...
[Right; NO thinking people don't want to be atheists.]
July, 2012
“Atheists abandon their beliefs more often than people in other religious groups, study finds”
A new study has found that people raised in an atheist home abandon those beliefs as adults more often than people raised with other religious belief systems, putting atheism at a 30 percent retention rate. Conclusions and interpretations of the study are that atheists are more often "made" as adults rather than "raised." The highest retention rates are in the Hindu faith, which holds onto about 84 percent of adherents.
Those who grow up in an atheist household are least likely to maintain their beliefs about religion as adults, according to a study by Georgetown University's Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA).
Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.
There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765589392/...
[Who would want to be an atheist? LOL]
KJV

United States

#11048 Jan 12, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>"His breasts are full of milk." - Job 21:24

WTF?
New International Version (©1984)
his body well nourished, his bones rich with marrow.

New Living Translation (©2007)
the picture of good health, vigorous and fit.

English Standard Version (©2001)
his pails full of milk and the marrow of his bones moist.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
His sides are filled out with fat, And the marrow of his bones is moist,

Holman Christian Standard Bible (©2009)
His body is well fed, and his bones are full of marrow.

International Standard Version (©2012)
His buckets are filled with milk, his bone marrow is healthy.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
His breasts are full of milk, and his bones are moistened with marrow.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
His stomach is full of milk, and his bones are strong and healthy.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)

American King James Version

American Standard Version
His pails are full of milk, And the marrow of his bones is moistened.

Douay-Rheims Bible
His bowels are full of fat, and his bones are moistened with marrow.

Darby Bible Translation
His sides are full of fat, and the marrow of his bones is moistened;

English Revised Version
His breasts are full of milk, and the marrow of his bones is moistened.

Webster's Bible Translation

World English Bible
His pails are full of milk. The marrow of his bones is moistened.

Young's Literal Translation
His breasts have been full of milk, And marrow his bones doth moisten.
KJV

United States

#11049 Jan 12, 2013
<quoted text>KJV wrote, "We do not know what is outside of our universe other then there is a heaven and a hell. That there is a God and Angels. I will not go down any road that would be pure speculation. No need for that."

I'm afraid that that ship long since has sailed.

It also dodges the question. How could an infinite god exist undesigned if you claim that simpler things like life allegedly cannot?

You don't need to answer. Your refusal is your answer.
God has alway been and will always be.
Humans can not grasp this. It would be like a 2 dimensional object trying to understand the 3rd dimension.

Or yet trying to understand the 5th dimension.

"Whether you believe an artist launches a songwriter’s career or vice versa, it’s undeniable that the talented 5th Dimension had a creative formula that benefitted writers, the public, and themselves.

The group formed because of a beauty contest winner and a photographer. Lamonte McLemore was a photographer and his subject was Miss Bronze America of 1963, Marilyn McCoo. They decided to merge their gospel singing interests and form a group with fellow Los Angeles residents Harry Elston and Floyed Butler. The foursome hooked up with Ray Charles for a six-month tour but Elston and Butler left to form a separate group, the Friends of Distinction (RCA). Lamonte went back to picture-taking and Marilyn became an executive trainee at a department store."

But I regress.
KJV

United States

#11050 Jan 12, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>If he could at this time, he would assuredly win a Nobel prize.
No doubt!

Explaining how the rock had produced life would well be worth a Nobel prize.
KJV

United States

#11051 Jan 12, 2013
<quoted text>One of your premises is flawed. Atheism is not the firm belief that no god exists. It's the rejection of unfounded claims about gods, often accompanied by the tentative belief -not firm - that there are probably no gods.

It's the word firm that distinguishes between religious faith and secular belief. Religious faith is 100% certain without evidence and despite contradictory evidence. Show me a god, and I'm a believer that day. Bill Maher said it well:

"I’m open to anything for which there is evidence. Show me a god and I will believe in him. If Jesus Christ comes down from the sky during the halftime show of this Sunday’s Super Bowl and turns all the nachos into loaves and fishes, I’ll think ...“Oh look at that, I was wrong. There he is. My bad. Praise the lord!"

That is not firm belief based on nothing, which is what religion is. That is tentative belief commensurate with present evidence.
"Atheism is not the firm belief that no god exists. It's the rejection of unfounded claims about gods, "

Accept the dictionary does not say that, it states:

Merriam-Webster

athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
: one who believes that there is no deity

Totally contradicts your claim of the definition doesn't it? Remember I didn't write the dictionary I just read it.
KJV

United States

#11052 Jan 12, 2013
<quoted text>Science will be the death of faith, which of course is why you attack it so viciously and single-mindedly, like some kind of pus cell defending a wound.
Are we to accept anything that has a science stamp on it with out question. Has science earned this right?
I think not.
KJV

United States

#11053 Jan 12, 2013
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>I remember you told us once you weren't much interested in Darwin. And, of course, you're absolutely right, he no longer exists.
"Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>True, I take no notice of that which does not exist."

LOL yup Darwin no longer exist.
KJV

United States

#11054 Jan 12, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Did you just figure it out, that the man was dead and gone?
Why no we knew it. Thing is you are the one that claimed not to believe in anything that doesn't exist and that of course would include Darwin for he no longer exist.
KJV

United States

#11055 Jan 12, 2013
<quoted text>You have it backwards: Authentic science, which debunks the claims of Genesis and Exodus, is a threat to your church.
Hmmm you believe that the lack of proof is proof..... Interesting.
I guess we now know how desperate you are to try and disprove the Bible.
KJV

United States

#11056 Jan 12, 2013
<quoted text>Me, too. Lightning, for one.

Christians believe in a lower bower. Most of the skeptics here have higher moral standards than your god. I,for example, would never torture anybody for even an hour, let alone for eternity.
Well little red one. The Bible never claims God made Hell. The Bible only explains how to avoid Hell. Nice the way you heathens try and make the Bible sound just the opposite of what it is.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#11057 Jan 12, 2013
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're okay with the corrupt Woo-suk, then?
You are okay with the corrupt Ted Haggard?
KJV

United States

#11058 Jan 12, 2013
<quoted text>Why ask me?

tagit wrote, "We are surrounded with examples of unbridled human narcissism and gluttony. "

There's that deep Christian misanthropic pessimism chiseled by decades of hearing you how useless and depraved man is, and how horrible the world is.

Humanism offers a much cheerier perspective. No sin, no perdition, no judgment, no demons, and no damnation - just a love of mankind, a respect for the planet and life in general, a love of justice and of truth, and an optimism for the future and man's incredible potential based on his historical arc.
"Humanism has failed. It has failed because it does not give people a vital place in the universe. It has failed because people care more about where we are going than whence we came, more about morality than reality, more about meaning than facts, more about “why?” than “how?”, more about warm emotion than cold reason. Until we who are without gods and demons and heavens and hells can provide those things, our worldview will remain marginal. The losses of the old faiths will not be our gains. Furthermore, in painting this picture we must not cheat by softening the findings of science or including meaning and purpose by sleight of hand. Our worldview must not just feel authentic, but must be authentic."

http://www.theculture.org/rich/sharpblue/arch...

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#11059 Jan 12, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Well little red one. The Bible never claims God made Hell.
I thought you claimed your god made everything? Now you're saying it's really everything except hell?

Okay, but he allows hell to exist then, right? Or he can't really get ride of hell? Omnipotent or not?

And even given all of these problems with the existence of hell itself, does not your god still send people there to suffer for all eternity? That would argue against omnibenevolence.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible only explains how to avoid Hell.
Tell me, are we saved by grace or actions?
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice the way you heathens try and make the Bible sound just the opposite of what it is.
"It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand." ~ Samuel Clemens

Fennario

#11060 Jan 12, 2013
KJV wrote:
Remember I didn't write the dictionary I just read it.
No, you cherry pick the definition that serves your purpose and pretend that there are no other dictionaries or definitions, and that the matter is settled definitively.

"His breasts are full of milk." - Job 21:24

Fennario

#11061 Jan 12, 2013
You have it backwards: Authentic science, which debunks the claims of Genesis and Exodus, is a threat to your church.
KJV wrote:
Hmmm you believe that the lack of proof is proof.
That's very, very close. Incredibly close. Let me reword it slightly anyway: You have it backwards. Authentic science, which debunks the claims of Genesis and Exodus, is a threat to your church.

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#11062 Jan 12, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
New International Version (©1984)
his body well nourished, his bones rich with marrow.
New Living Translation (©2007)
the picture of good health, vigorous and fit.
English Standard Version (©2001)
his pails full of milk and the marrow of his bones moist.
New American Standard Bible (©1995)
His sides are filled out with fat, And the marrow of his bones is moist,
Holman Christian Standard Bible (©2009)
His body is well fed, and his bones are full of marrow.
International Standard Version (©2012)
His buckets are filled with milk, his bone marrow is healthy.
King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
His stomach is full of milk, and his bones are strong and healthy.
King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
American King James Version
American Standard Version
His pails are full of milk, And the marrow of his bones is moistened.
Douay-Rheims Bible
His bowels are full of fat, and his bones are moistened with marrow.
Darby Bible Translation
His sides are full of fat, and the marrow of his bones is moistened;
English Revised Version
His breasts are full of milk, and the marrow of his bones is moistened.
Webster's Bible Translation
World English Bible
His pails are full of milk. The marrow of his bones is moistened.
Young's Literal Translation
His breasts have been full of milk, And marrow his bones doth moisten.
So many different bibles- so many different meanings.

No wonder christians are confused.

You'd have thought that the supreme being of the universe would have done more to ensure his message gets through loud and clear.

Fennario

#11063 Jan 12, 2013
KJV wrote:
Well little red one. The Bible never claims God made Hell. The Bible only explains how to avoid Hell.
“Then He will also say to those on His left,‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels" - Matthew 25:41

Who prepared hell?
KJV wrote:
Nice the way you heathens try and make the Bible sound just the opposite of what it is.
That's just what I was thinking about you Christians.

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#11064 Jan 12, 2013
KJV wrote:
God has alway been and will always be.
No he's not.

Isaiah 43:10

Your god admits to a time before and after him when there was/will be no god.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 23 min ChristineM 21,874
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 35 min ChristineM 258,041
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 37 min Cujo 36
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr One way or another 48,588
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Aura Mytha 23,506
News Louisiana Christians reclaim safe space by runn... 2 hr Mikko 1
What are the best arguments against religion? 2 hr bluehill 1
More from around the web