Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments
10,441 - 10,460 of 11,175 Comments Last updated Jan 18, 2014

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#11012 Jan 12, 2013
KJV wrote:
Please go ahead an list the passages you wish to discuss.
"His breasts are full of milk." - Job 21:24

WTF?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#11013 Jan 12, 2013
derek4 wrote:
The concern is increasing that most scientific research findings that get published are false.

With all the fraud and retractions we see, that concern is justified.

http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info:doi/...

No copyrighted material was reproduced in this post.
Serious question for you.

Why is science so threatening to you?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#11014 Jan 12, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>Please explain spontaneous life.

REALITY LOL.
If he could at this time, he would assuredly win a Nobel prize.

Fennario

#11015 Jan 12, 2013
KJV wrote:
Atheist is a Religion.
Religion
Synonyms: credo, creed, cult, FAITH, persuasion
faith\ˈfāth\
noun
b (1): firm belief in something for which there is no proof
Atheism
Belief that there is no Deity or Deities.
Hence - Atheism = Religion
One of your premises is flawed. Atheism is not the firm belief that no god exists. It's the rejection of unfounded claims about gods, often accompanied by the tentative belief -not firm - that there are probably no gods.

It's the word firm that distinguishes between religious faith and secular belief. Religious faith is 100% certain without evidence and despite contradictory evidence. Show me a god, and I'm a believer that day. Bill Maher said it well:

"Im open to anything for which there is evidence. Show me a god and I will believe in him. If Jesus Christ comes down from the sky during the halftime show of this Sundays Super Bowl and turns all the nachos into loaves and fishes, Ill think ...Oh look at that, I was wrong. There he is. My bad. Praise the lord!"

That is not firm belief based on nothing, which is what religion is. That is tentative belief commensurate with present evidence.

Fennario

#11016 Jan 12, 2013
sarafina wrote:
The fact that it looks designed implies intelligence.
Not much.

Understanding that complexity can arise spontaneously implies more intelligence.

http://onlytheblogknowsbrooklyn.com/wp-conten... [undesigned snowflake]

Fennario

#11017 Jan 12, 2013
derek4 wrote:
Atheism is a scientific religion requiring great faith.
Science will be the death of faith, which of course is why you attack it so viciously and single-mindedly, like some kind of pus cell defending a wound.

Fennario

#11018 Jan 12, 2013
derek4 wrote:
Might well be? Lots of mights in science, lol.
But none in your rigid dogma, laughing boy, which is why it is being so easily shattered by the more intellectually supple science.
http://images.hollywood.com/site/COTT_Hamlin....

Fennario

#11019 Jan 12, 2013
derek4 wrote:
Love is very important in the Bible.God is love.
Your religion has the sickest definition of love going. You call the most vicious monster in all of fiction omnibenevolent - the one said to have subjected humanity to multiple genocides, a flood, an apocalypse, and then plans to keep his soul alive to experience agonizing pain for eternity in a torture pit he built run by a demon god that he made. This is what Christians call perfect love.

Now let's let it leaders - the people you Christians elevate to leadership positions- speak for the love of your god:

[1] Mother Teresa learned to "think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." It's easy to see how looking at an image of Christ on a crucifix. As a result, she sent millions of dollars donated to her hospices to comfort the dying poor to the Vatican treasury, and just let them suffer.

[2] Here's a little more Christian love: "I want you to just let a wave of intolerance wash over you. I want you to let a wave of hatred wash over you. Yes, hate is good...Our goal is a Christian nation. We have a Biblical duty, we are called by God, to conquer this country. We don't want equal time. We don't want pluralism." - Randall Terry, Founder of Operation Rescue. 1993

[3] From the loving Martin Luther:What shall we Christians do with this rejected and condemned people, the Jews? First, to set fire to their synagogues or schools and to bury and cover with dirt whatever will not burn. Second, I advise that their houses also be razed and destroyed. Third, I advise that all their prayer books and Talmudic writings, in which such idolatry, lies, cursing, and blasphemy are taught, be taken from them."

[4] From Hitler: "In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison."

[5] From Bush Sr.: "No, I dont know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God.

And some more from less well known Christians :

[6]I figured a way out a way to get rid of all the lesbians and queers. But I couldnt get it passed through Congress. Build a great big large fence, 150 or 100 mile (sic) long. Put all the lesbians in there. Fly over and drop some food. Do the same thing with the queers and the homosexuals. Have that fence electrified so they cant get out. Feed em, and And you know what? In a few years theyll die out. You know why? They cant reproduce.- North Carolina Pastor Charles Worley

[7] And from this thread, we have Langoliers at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... : " God needs no help he just lets us have some fun, he waiting to wipe you off the face of the earth because he said we need to have some fun. So he left 2.3% of all atheist on earth for us to torment."

[8] And also from this thread is KJV at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... : "You see we just want to make sure that while you're not in heaven but in the other place we want you to relive all of these moments that put you there. To haunt you for all eternity while flames burn the flesh off of your bones."

[9] From our good friend Just Results at http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TB4V0KF... : "I am so thrilled that smelly greasy shit like you will endure thermal and mechanical tortures for eternity in Hell. Hopefully you are involved in a tragic metal crushing car accident, resulting in your beheadedness, you awful demented dehumanizing sack of trash." His Christian buddy agreed with him.

Sorry, but you people haven't got a clue what love is.

Fennario

#11020 Jan 12, 2013
sarafina wrote:
I can't help wondering why atheists would find such a belief system attractive? Before Darwin, man at least felt that God put him on earth for certain purposes no matter how distorted those purposes.
Rationalists don't choose our beliefs based on how comfortable or important they make us feel.

It is no defense of superstition and pseudoscience to say that it brings solace and comfort to peopleIf solace and comfort are how we judge the worth of something, then consider that tobacco brings solace and comfort to smokers; alcohol brings it to drinkers; drugs of all kinds bring it to addicts; the fall of cards and the run of horses bring it to gamblers; cruelty and violence bring it to sociopaths. Judge by solace and comfort only and there is no behavior we ought to interfere with.- Isaac Asimov

Beliefs should be based on evidence. Reality is a little intimidating, but with perseverance, you can learn to stand upright and face it on its own terms. Try standing up like the bipedal ape you were born to be, and look out into the universe, which may be almost empty, and which may contain no gods at all. Then face and accept the very real possibility that we may be all there is for light years.

Accept that you may be vulnerable and not watched over.

Accept the likelihood of your own mortality and finititude.

Accept the reality of your insignificance everywhere but earth, and that you might be unloved except by those who know you - people, and maybe a few animals.

Because as far as we know, that's how it is.

It's more difficult at first than the comforting swaddling of religion, but be brave! Religion's comfort comes at a great price. It's infantilizing, and costs you your only shot at a mature, authentic,self-actualized existence.

For example, with an imagined baby sitter watching, judging,and potentially rewarding or punishing him 24/7, a theist can never know the ineffable joy of doing good for goodness sake, with no expectation that anyone will ever praise or reward him for it.

Fennario

#11021 Jan 12, 2013
derek4 wrote:
In the spirit of their concern about honesty, atheists should want to rid the planet of bad science.
There's something else that needs expunging even more urgently.

Fennario

#11022 Jan 12, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
String theory has been given a lot of rope, but has produced very little except a few frayed results.
String? Rope? Frayed?

You knotty punster, you.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#11023 Jan 12, 2013
One can use volunteer work as a tax wrote off but since you are unaware of that it's obvious you don't do any volunteer work to help your fellow man.

We have offered you a wealth of educational knowledge in an effort to remove the blinders of religion from your eyes.

Again why should we accept your god as anything more than your imagination? Because you said so?

Lol!
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Tax advantages are reserved for churches where values are taught.
You have nothing to offer.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#11024 Jan 12, 2013
Milky man-boobs in the bible!
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
"His breasts are full of milk." - Job 21:24
WTF?

Fennario

#11026 Jan 12, 2013
derek4 wrote:
Scientists express bewilderment about how many living molecular machines in our cells work, let alone how they supposedly evolved. They look designed. That's because they were.
http://www.actionbioscience.org/evolution/nhm...
No copyrighted material was reproduced in this post.
Do you even look at your links? This one contains comments from Ken Miller, Robert Pennock, and Barbara Forrest, all principle figures for the prosecution in the Kitzmiller v Dover trial.

Miller drilled Behe a new one when he came into court wearing an "irreducibly complex" mousetrap as a tie clip after removing two of its five original parts. He did it again in your link.

Your boy Behe was forced to admit under oath that according to the definition of a scientific theory that he gave in court to argue that ID was scientific, astrology was also a scientific theory.

And Forest was the person that discovered the now infamous and side-splittingly hilarious "cdesign proponentists." Here, she repeats her argument that ID is a religious and a political movement - repackaged creationism - and not science. She also reminds us that the Discovery Institute is think tank with an explicit religious agenda to unseat naturalism and science.

Fennario

#11027 Jan 12, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Dim is shaking his Scary Chicken on the stick with jingly bells at us. We're supposed to swoon in fear. "Arise, Chicken! Arise"
madscot wrote:
Here's some voodoo chicken I could get into :
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...
Looks good!

How have you been? And welcome back.

Just to get you up to speed, the thread has mostly been playing hackey sack with derek4's grapes for a few months.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#11028 Jan 12, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that irreducible complexity was already debunked, and has been many times over, right?
Unfortunately for you, it remains a matter of debate, lol.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14756332

Location hidden

#11029 Jan 12, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
If Hwang Woo-suk discredits all of science, then Ted Haggard discredits all of Christianity.
Check and mate.
So you're okay with the corrupt Woo-suk, then?

Location hidden

#11030 Jan 12, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>True, I take no notice of that which does not exist.
I remember you told us once you weren't much interested in Darwin. And, of course, you're absolutely right, he no longer exists.

Location hidden

#11031 Jan 12, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Serious question for you.
Why is science so threatening to you?
Serious answer: fraudulent science is a threat to you and your godless belief. It's no threat to me, since I reject it.

Location hidden

#11032 Jan 12, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
One can use volunteer work as a tax wrote off but since you are unaware of that it's obvious you don't do any volunteer work to help your fellow man.
Why don't you volunteer to do something worthwhile, like picking up litter on the roadways in your county? That would be far more worthwhhile than attempting to explain things you don't grasp.

Oh yes, and tell us again about the atheist charities and hospitals that help fellow man. We didn't find much on that. And tell us about the atheist day care centers, lol.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 14 min CunningLinguist 400
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr well 226,244
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr CunningLinguist 21,498
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 5 hr Patrick 10
100% Faith Free 5 hr Patrick 8
Richard Dawkins in a nutshell 5 hr Patrick 26
Atheists that tout free thinking use bully tact... 7 hr Patrick 10
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••