Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments (Page 519)

Showing posts 10,361 - 10,380 of11,195
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

DJ Hewlet wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you have if not figments of human imagination, or myths? It takes as much faith to believe that something comes from nothing (big bang) and nonliving matter produces life (evolution) as it does to believe in God.
The big bang theory does not include the concept of "something comes from nothing" and it might well be that life permeates the universe and grows where ever conditions permit. No creator required.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that's just poorly articulated. You can believe without showing it, or perform the ritual without believing.
There is a distinction that can be made between religious culture and religious belief.
I certainly view religious belief as being a thing apart from religious culture.

Here in the UK we're getting less religious by the year but there's no denying the influence of Christianity on our culture.

Mind you, we've also been influenced by forces opposed to Christianity which really got started with the 18th-century Enlightenment and French Revolution and going all the way to Marxism-Leninism and the liberalism of the European Court of Human Rights.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

EmpAtheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Im responding to you but hope the one you responded to reads this...
I left Christianity with the help of conversation like this too. I had many questions after the death of one of my good friends who was an atheist. I asked family and friends and the answers were very dodgy. I asked a couple preachers and they just repeated the same things I've heard for years that were completely irrelevant. Then I went to YouTube and found tons of Christians giving answers for what i wanted... they were always response videos to atheists... so to better understand what they were talking about i watched their videos as well..... long story short.... after several months i found myself on the other side of that fence.
So don't think that what you say doesn't make a difference... sometimes you plant a seed or just add a little water to make it grow. Nobody is going to change their mind from one sentence in a post.
Another honest post from the heart.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
There actually is a whole Topix Forum on science (" http://www.topix.com/science" ;) but he knows he'd be totally out of his league there.
His post aren't really about science per se, he's just showing off how much he hates things he so clearly doesn't understand.
I guess it's fortunate for Dim that his god just so happens to hate all the same things that he hates.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. He seems to think we are attacking his religion by showing the flaws that need fixing. Must kind of stick in his craw.
Atheism is not a religion, it doesn't matter how many times you try to lie, it's a lack of belief, nothing more and nothing less.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

May god strike me the f*ck down right is second.

Still alive,, theists are full of sh*t.
KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>One is based on independently verified evidence and predictive modeling capability.

The other is based on fireside stories of some ancient goat herders trying to explain where lightning comes from.
No, there is no verified evidence of spontaneous life. It's a myth.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Still alive, god isn't real proven once again.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
No, there is no verified evidence of spontaneous life. It's a myth.
At least you're finally learning something. but still not enough to make it. Considering that your bible is proving less than adequate at explaining things, much less, incapable of providing anything beneficial to us, we'll keep looking for some real answer.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheist is a Religion.
Religion
Synonyms: credo, creed, cult, FAITH, persuasion
faith\ˈfāth\
noun
b (1): firm belief in something for which there is no proof
Atheism
Belief that there is no Deity or Deities.
Hence - Atheism = Religion
Posted earlier by derek4
The Atheist's Bible: An Illustrious Collection of Irreverent Thoughts [Hardcover]
Joan Konner (Author)
3.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (29 customer reviews)
List Price:$16.99
Price:$11.55 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
Deal Price:
You Save:$5.44 (32%)
Only 4 left in stock (more on the way).
http://www.amazon.com/The-Atheists-Bible-Illu...
[Wow – only 4 left – MAN – those atheists love their bibles!!!- get your copy now before they run out!!!!]
Posted else where by derek4
February 4, 2011
Church, without God
“Stan Bradley likes Bible stories, admires Martin Luther and uses expressions such as 'heavens, no.'
The Lithopolis man is president of a local congregation and rarely misses a Sunday service. Occasionally, he goes to his wife's church instead.
For these and other reasons, Bradley considers himself religious.”
He is also an atheist.
continued:
“Like Bradley, some atheists participate in organized religion for its social and psychological benefits.”
continued:
“Churches are great places to find friends, support and youth education, so nonbelievers and believers alike join congregations to fill those needs, he said.
He has spoken to elderly and sick people who can no longer go to church and they say they most miss the feeling of community.
Recent research from Harvard University and the University of Wisconsin backs him up. It found that religious people tend to be happier than nonreligious people, not because of belief but because of the friendships found at church.”
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/faith...
“religious people tend to be happier than nonreligious people”[I have said this all along, and my posts are still on the board to confirm it. Now you hear it straight from the atheist, lol.]
Belief in No Deities or that there are no Deities is clearly belief in nothing.

Your definition of Religion/Faith required belief in something.

Therefore, Atheism can not be a religion by your own definition.
sarafina

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the best case made for theism is the appearance of design. However all this *proves* is that things looked designed.
It does not explain whether it is God/s who did the creating or multiple gods, or an infallible god, or an imperfect god, a good god or a bad one.
I think a common error by theists if they say nature looks designed, so this means that Christianity, and all that entails must be true. Which of course is faulty logic. And in addition of course evolution explains the development of complex creatures from simple ones by natural causes. Your thoughts?
The fact that it looks designed implies intelligence.
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Another empty threat.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish he had but you'll just have to wait.
For the proof.
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

But coincidences are only coincidences because they are.
sarafina wrote:
<quoted text>

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

sarafina wrote:
<quoted text>
Crystal formations look "designed" I've seen them form, no designer was evident.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not ever say it was "established "
I was only questioning why it was not considered "established " after over 40 years at the forefront of science.
Because it makes few testable predictions. The main thing in its favor is that it manages to combine quantum mechanics and general relativity.
String theory has failed a few test and as the article title says "String Theory is on life support"
When I posted that article about String theory it was in reference to the failed micro black hole experiments.
The micro black holes were not a central aspect of string theory. Our ability to produce them in accelerators depends strongly on the size of any extra dimensions. And the size of any extra dimensions is not well-constrained in string theory.

Now, if we don't find some super-symmetric partners soon, string theory may have some deep problems.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

sarafina wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it does not.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you considered starting a thread about science ...
No.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

sarafina wrote:
Your post doesn't look designed at all.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it's common courtesy to acknowledge the originator of a post.
Particularly when it's one that makes you look really stupid.
You're a fine one to advise on common courtesy, lol.

I have no obligation to answer any post, nor am I inclined to be courteous to the discourteous.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

DJ Hewlet wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you have if not figments of human imagination, or myths? It takes as much faith to believe that something comes from nothing (big bang) and nonliving matter produces life (evolution) as it does to believe in God.
Atheism is a scientific religion requiring great faith.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 10,361 - 10,380 of11,195
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••