Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#10877 Jan 10, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Back in the early '70s I was studying to become a minister too! It was all the theology classes that got me questioning.
When I look back now I am amazed that I ever was a believer. It seems more and more absurd all the time.
Seneca (the younger) I think put it most succinctly 2000 years ago -- "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful."
Maybe God caused circumstances to “weed you out” from the ministry since you had nothing to offer. Who knows?

Location hidden

#10878 Jan 10, 2013
What is the truth about scientific research?

There is certain marvelous research that is amazing.

And there is research that does not deserve that distinction.

Dishonesty, fraud, money – these motivate much of our scientific research.

http://naturalbias.com/the-truth-about-scient...

No copyrighted material was reproduced in this post.

Location hidden

#10879 Jan 10, 2013
Few honest scientists remain today.

The progression of dishonety is growing.

Most of the lies and fraud are committed by scientists who use it to promote their colleagues and institutions to gain notice and advance themselves.

http://www.naturalnews.com/028465_scentific_f...

Location hidden

#10880 Jan 10, 2013
The National Institutes of Health reports on James H. Freisheim of the Medical College of Ohio, and how he submitted a research grant application which contained plagiarized research from another scientist"s grant application.

The included government link also reports on how Judy Guffee from the University of Miami fabricated data.

Other crooked scientists who engaged in misconduct are included in the report.
http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-fil...

Location hidden

#10881 Jan 10, 2013
The Wall Street Journal advises us that “mistakes” in scientific studies are “surging”, and the number of retracted scientific papers has increased by “15 fold” since 2001.

The link includes names of some of the corrupt doctors and scientists.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405270...

[More scientists on the "crooked path" that polymath writes about.]

Since: Dec 12

Karachi, Pakistan

#10882 Jan 10, 2013
I support your false statement, and I don't care what you are doing with your life.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#10883 Jan 10, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the difference between being pi$$ed off and being pi$$ed on?
Depends.
Have you ever been pi$$ed on without being pi$$ed off?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#10884 Jan 10, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Back up the truck a bit there willy!
I am very familiar with string theory and the split in the science community.
The comment from KK was that string theory was not established. My question was what you just jumped all over me and called me desperate for asking a question about a 40+ year old well published scientific theory not being established. I would call string theory established maybe not fully excepted by the whole scientific community but I believe it is well established.
And yes there are many that don't think string theory is a slam dunk!
Such anger!
No, string theory is still *speculation*. It is not an 'established' theory, simply a well-researched piece of speculation. The point is that to become 'established' requires the ability to predict observations and to be testable. String theory does not reach those standards, although many think it will (and is therefore worth pursuing).

Perhaps the problem is that the use of the word 'established' is not what you seem to think it is in this context.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#10885 Jan 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever been pi$$ed on without being pi$$ed off?
Now we're talking about the difference between kinky and perverted.

Of course if you're kinky you use a feather, but if you're perverted you use the whole chicken.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10886 Jan 10, 2013
7+ posts in a row wins you another "Cuntard of the Day" award.

Way to go, cuntard!
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe God caused circumstances to “weed you out” from the ministry since you had nothing to offer. Who knows?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#10887 Jan 10, 2013
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lot of false in there.
You take the crooked path with science and all their blunderings.
I prefer the straight path with God.
LOL...wow

Location hidden

#10888 Jan 10, 2013
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well that was boring, but I hope unloading your garbage made you feel better, lol.
Pot, meet kettle.

Location hidden

#10889 Jan 10, 2013
derek4 wrote:
What is the truth about scientific research?
There is certain marvelous research that is amazing.
And there is research that does not deserve that distinction.
Dishonesty, fraud, money – these motivate much of our scientific research.
http://naturalbias.com/the-truth-about-scient...
Have you considered starting a thread about science as opposed to spamming hundreds of off-topic posts?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#10890 Jan 10, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you considered starting a thread about science as opposed to spamming hundreds of off-topic posts?
There actually is a whole Topix Forum on science (" http://www.topix.com/science" ;) but he knows he'd be totally out of his league there.

His post aren't really about science per se, he's just showing off how much he hates things he so clearly doesn't understand.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#10892 Jan 10, 2013
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Or maybe the idea of any form of absolute truth is ridulous
KJV

United States

#10895 Jan 10, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, I know that is not entirely true. When I first came to Topix I was a full on believer working on becoming a pastor but, my encounters on here with certain posters swayed me considerably. They would post links, hit certain talking points and ask me questions. I listened to what they had to say, read their posted articles, and learned. During that time I also noticed that there are those that do nothing but abuse, from either side. I admit I was a noob to the interwebs blah blah blah.. long story short.. I learned two things. Yes, I am a skeptic but, I still find the history/ anthropology behind religious beliefs interesting, though not as much as I used to, and I dislike narrow minded douche bags.
"Yes, I am a skeptic"

A skeptic needs to dig deep and find his truth. I hope some day you find yours.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#10896 Jan 10, 2013
derek4 wrote:
By the way, it sounds like you need “IAN”(s) permission to post what is on your mind. You pore thang - how strange, lol.
You can't think for yourself? Why not? You write hymns, don't you?
Actually, it's common courtesy to acknowledge the originator of a post.

Particularly when it's one that makes you look really stupid.
DJ Hewlet

UK

#10897 Jan 10, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Again why should anyone accept this creator is anything more than a figment of someone's imagination a delusion handed down generation to generation?
The bible is a hodge podge of legends collected from the Middle East. Why would it be so difficult for a writer to read or hear a story from a century ago and then pen his own similar story incorporating some of the same characters. Hell Joseph Smith did that, nothing special I could write some bible myth inspired fan fiction like he did, that doesn't prove that God is real.
All you have done is argue band wagon fallacy, injected your biased opinion and then went off on some random temper tantrum about an off topic subject like Darwin. Sorry but evolution has nothing to do with atheism.
I am not even asking for proof of God here, I am merely asking why I or anyone should accept him as anything more than a figment of someone's imagination.
It seems you don't have an answer as expected.
<quoted text>
What do you have if not figments of human imagination, or myths? It takes as much faith to believe that something comes from nothing (big bang) and nonliving matter produces life (evolution) as it does to believe in God.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#10898 Jan 10, 2013
DJ Hewlet wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you have if not figments of human imagination, or myths? It takes as much faith to believe that something comes from nothing (big bang) and nonliving matter produces life (evolution) as it does to believe in God.
One is based on independently verified evidence and predictive modeling capability.

The other is based on fireside stories of some ancient goat herders trying to explain where lightning comes from.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#10899 Jan 10, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, I know that is not entirely true. When I first came to Topix I was a full on believer working on becoming a pastor but, my encounters on here with certain posters swayed me considerably. They would post links, hit certain talking points and ask me questions. I listened to what they had to say, read their posted articles, and learned. During that time I also noticed that there are those that do nothing but abuse, from either side. I admit I was a noob to the interwebs blah blah blah.. long story short.. I learned two things. Yes, I am a skeptic but, I still find the history/ anthropology behind religious beliefs interesting, though not as much as I used to, and I dislike narrow minded douche bags.
Am honest and refreshing post - thanks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 9 min Thinking 181
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 10 min Eman 22,025
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Patrick 227,377
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 2 hr Patrick 41
Stump a theist with 2 questions 7 hr Thinking 15
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 7 hr Thinking 69
The Ultimate Evidence of God 14 hr sriKim 120
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••