Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11177 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#10867 Jan 10, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for that.
I would have liked to have read more from those articles on the meaning of "reality," but it was a subscription service, and only provided a few paragraphs.
Another poster and I addressed that issue only a few months ago:
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...
It's a hard question. My own definition runs something like this: "reality consists of whatever is common to all maximally predictive observational theories".

The goal of science is to find such maximally predictive theories (we don't have one yet ;))by doing sub-theories that cover some subset of observations and building up.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#10868 Jan 10, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, I know that is not entirely true. When I first came to Topix I was a full on believer working on becoming a pastor but, my encounters on here with certain posters swayed me considerably. They would post links, hit certain talking points and ask me questions. I listened to what they had to say, read their posted articles, and learned. During that time I also noticed that there are those that do nothing but abuse, from either side. I admit I was a noob to the interwebs blah blah blah.. long story short.. I learned two things. Yes, I am a skeptic but, I still find the history/ anthropology behind religious beliefs interesting, though not as much as I used to, and I dislike narrow minded douche bags.
Im responding to you but hope the one you responded to reads this...
I left Christianity with the help of conversation like this too. I had many questions after the death of one of my good friends who was an atheist. I asked family and friends and the answers were very dodgy. I asked a couple preachers and they just repeated the same things I've heard for years that were completely irrelevant. Then I went to YouTube and found tons of Christians giving answers for what i wanted... they were always response videos to atheists... so to better understand what they were talking about i watched their videos as well..... long story short.... after several months i found myself on the other side of that fence.

So don't think that what you say doesn't make a difference... sometimes you plant a seed or just add a little water to make it grow. Nobody is going to change their mind from one sentence in a post.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#10869 Jan 10, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, I know that is not entirely true. When I first came to Topix I was a full on believer working on becoming a pastor but, my encounters on here with certain posters swayed me considerably. They would post links, hit certain talking points and ask me questions. I listened to what they had to say, read their posted articles, and learned. During that time I also noticed that there are those that do nothing but abuse, from either side. I admit I was a noob to the interwebs blah blah blah.. long story short.. I learned two things. Yes, I am a skeptic but, I still find the history/ anthropology behind religious beliefs interesting, though not as much as I used to, and I dislike narrow minded douche bags.
Back in the early '70s I was studying to become a minister too! It was all the theology classes that got me questioning.

When I look back now I am amazed that I ever was a believer. It seems more and more absurd all the time.

Seneca (the younger) I think put it most succinctly 2000 years ago -- "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful."

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#10870 Jan 10, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope
LOL
Poor old Septic, he thinks he dictates rule here. Meds must be failing him again
Well, he's certainly not dictating anything to me, lol. He said “prove your god first before you criticise science”. That's how septic shows his bizarre reasoning is not credible. The fraud in science is the same with or without God.

Location hidden

#10871 Jan 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's how it always is at the boundary of knowledge. False starts, misunderstandings, bad assumptions, etc. But, eventually, the truth wins out because we keep *testing*. New people get ahead by showing old ideas are wrong *by observations everyone can verify*. So, yes, the path is quite crooked. But that is to be expected since we are actually trying to learn more rather than simply sitting on old assumptions (like religion does).
Lot of false in there.

You take the crooked path with science and all their blunderings.

I prefer the straight path with God.

Location hidden

#10872 Jan 10, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>You silly twit, if your skull gets any emptier, it just may implode ... not that you would care, but we probably won't "not take" notice.
http://www.shadowmillproductions.com/photogal...
You aren't capbale of taking notice of much, are you, lol?

Maybe Kitten will forgive you for the way you treated her. You better apologize to her.

Beautiful flowers in your avatar. They're fake, like you, but at least they is right purty, lol.

Location hidden

#10873 Jan 10, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
For someone who doesn't care about atheism you sure spend a lot of time writing about it.
<quoted text>
Who says I don't care about atheism? You're the one who said you didn't care about the Bible, but you spend a lot of time fretting over it; writing about it. Sure I care about atheism. The incredible stupidity of it fascinates me.

Location hidden

#10874 Jan 10, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Again why should anyone accept this creator is anything more than a figment of someone's imagination a delusion handed down generation to generation?
The bible is a hodge podge of legends collected from the Middle East. Why would it be so difficult for a writer to read or hear a story from a century ago and then pen his own similar story incorporating some of the same characters. Hell Joseph Smith did that, nothing special I could write some bible myth inspired fan fiction like he did, that doesn't prove that God is real.
All you have done is argue band wagon fallacy, injected your biased opinion and then went off on some random temper tantrum about an off topic subject like Darwin. Sorry but evolution has nothing to do with atheism.
I am not even asking for proof of God here, I am merely asking why I or anyone should accept him as anything more than a figment of someone's imagination.
It seems you don't have an answer as expected.
<quoted text>
Well that was boring, but I hope unloading your garbage made you feel better, lol.

Location hidden

#10875 Jan 10, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, I really got to you huh?
Again, the only people who could ever be happy in heaven knowing others are in eternal torture in hell would be psychopaths and sociopaths.
What a horrible myth you've got.
And, yes, if these places did exist, the company in hell would be much preferred --- Douglas Adams, Woody Allen, Isaac Asimov, Dan Barker, Ingmar Bergman, Niels Bohr, Richard Branson, James Cameron, George Carlin, John Carpenter, Asia Carrera, Noam Chomsky, Francis Crick, Rodney Dangerfield, Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Ani DiFranco, Micky Dolenz, Albert Einstein, Harlan Ellison, Jodie Foster, Janeane Garofalo, Bill Gates, Ricky Gervais, Robert Heinlein, Ernest Hemingway, Katharine Hepburn, Christopher Hitchens, Penn Jillette, Billy Joel, Diane Keaton, Hugh Laurie, Bruce Lee, Tom Lehrer, John Lennon, H.P. Lovecraft, Seth MacFarlane, Bill Maher, John Malkovich, Barry Manilow, Sir Ian McKellen, Arthur Miller, Claude Monet, Julianne Moore, Randy Newman, Jack Nicholson, Steven Pinker, Paula Poundstone, Terry Pratchett, Rob Reiner, Keanu Reeves, Gene Roddenberry, Andy Rooney, Salman Rushdie, Adam Savage, Erwin Schrödinger, Steven Soderbergh, Alan Turing, Gore Vidal, Vincent van Gogh, Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Steven Weinberg, Joss Whedon, Ted Williams, Steve Wozniak, and HUNDREDS MORE...
I would definitely want to be far away from people like YOU.
Yes, many notable people will be suffering along with you. Enjoy!

Location hidden

#10876 Jan 10, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Your book has already called all atheists fools and wicked people and I've never met a single Christian who has asked for that disgusting insult to be removed from your books.
That shows how hateful you people are when it comes down to the ink and paper in your cult's manual.
You preach love, while in your book is hatred for all to see.
You have enough love for all of us. Thank you for sharing it, lol.

Location hidden

#10877 Jan 10, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Back in the early '70s I was studying to become a minister too! It was all the theology classes that got me questioning.
When I look back now I am amazed that I ever was a believer. It seems more and more absurd all the time.
Seneca (the younger) I think put it most succinctly 2000 years ago -- "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful."
Maybe God caused circumstances to “weed you out” from the ministry since you had nothing to offer. Who knows?

Location hidden

#10878 Jan 10, 2013
What is the truth about scientific research?

There is certain marvelous research that is amazing.

And there is research that does not deserve that distinction.

Dishonesty, fraud, money – these motivate much of our scientific research.

http://naturalbias.com/the-truth-about-scient...

No copyrighted material was reproduced in this post.

Location hidden

#10879 Jan 10, 2013
Few honest scientists remain today.

The progression of dishonety is growing.

Most of the lies and fraud are committed by scientists who use it to promote their colleagues and institutions to gain notice and advance themselves.

http://www.naturalnews.com/028465_scentific_f...

Location hidden

#10880 Jan 10, 2013
The National Institutes of Health reports on James H. Freisheim of the Medical College of Ohio, and how he submitted a research grant application which contained plagiarized research from another scientist"s grant application.

The included government link also reports on how Judy Guffee from the University of Miami fabricated data.

Other crooked scientists who engaged in misconduct are included in the report.
http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-fil...

Location hidden

#10881 Jan 10, 2013
The Wall Street Journal advises us that “mistakes” in scientific studies are “surging”, and the number of retracted scientific papers has increased by “15 fold” since 2001.

The link includes names of some of the corrupt doctors and scientists.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405270...

[More scientists on the "crooked path" that polymath writes about.]

Since: Dec 12

Karachi, Pakistan

#10882 Jan 10, 2013
I support your false statement, and I don't care what you are doing with your life.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#10883 Jan 10, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the difference between being pi$$ed off and being pi$$ed on?
Depends.
Have you ever been pi$$ed on without being pi$$ed off?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#10884 Jan 10, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Back up the truck a bit there willy!
I am very familiar with string theory and the split in the science community.
The comment from KK was that string theory was not established. My question was what you just jumped all over me and called me desperate for asking a question about a 40+ year old well published scientific theory not being established. I would call string theory established maybe not fully excepted by the whole scientific community but I believe it is well established.
And yes there are many that don't think string theory is a slam dunk!
Such anger!
No, string theory is still *speculation*. It is not an 'established' theory, simply a well-researched piece of speculation. The point is that to become 'established' requires the ability to predict observations and to be testable. String theory does not reach those standards, although many think it will (and is therefore worth pursuing).

Perhaps the problem is that the use of the word 'established' is not what you seem to think it is in this context.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#10885 Jan 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever been pi$$ed on without being pi$$ed off?
Now we're talking about the difference between kinky and perverted.

Of course if you're kinky you use a feather, but if you're perverted you use the whole chicken.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10886 Jan 10, 2013
7+ posts in a row wins you another "Cuntard of the Day" award.

Way to go, cuntard!
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe God caused circumstances to “weed you out” from the ministry since you had nothing to offer. Who knows?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 17 min replaytime 45,529
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 43 min ChristineM 546
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr New Age Spiritual... 257,127
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr Eagle 12 20,246
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 5 hr Paul WV-Uncle Sam 306
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 5 hr Eagle 12 21,393
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 8 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 10,334
More from around the web