Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11178 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#10636 Jan 8, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
LMFAO!!
"The chicken egg came before the chicken. Deal with it."
WOW..... KJV, Derek how long have you guys have been putting up with oooooogabooooga nonsense?
Hey oga who sat on the egg so it would hatch?
( a little comic relief )
The ancestor to the chicken, just one or two mutations short of being a chicken, now extinct.

Try to pay attention.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#10637 Jan 8, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
The discussion was on the probability of human existence through evolution.
The claim was sense we are here the odds are 1:1 this would be true if there was no other explanation on the floor and if science had only looked at one planet for life. So if evolution was the only argument on the floor we have looked at many other planets and moons for life. So the 1:1 would still be incorrect. The other issue is you cannot use evolution as the only possible way we are here to day for there is another possibility out there and that being God created us so yes his math is wrong so zip he has to start back at zero.
Wrong.

But anyway, how do I zip my back to zero?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#10638 Jan 8, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no proof that God exist or doesn't exist. There is only evidence.
Do you believe in string theory?
How did life spring forth in you world of proof?
There is no evidence that your god exists.

We don't know how life itself started. You don't either.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#10639 Jan 8, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong.
He keeps trying to use probability as an argument but doesn't actually understand probability enough to state his case.

So, like a broken record, he keeps making these stupid pronouncements that everybody else is wrong. He can't actually take it further to explain his math, he has none.

(Can I still say broken record with some assurance that readers even know what this implies? The reference seems so dated.)
KJV

United States

#10640 Jan 8, 2013
KTMAN wrote:
lets make one thing absolutely clear hear, there is nothing in the bible that suggest shoving what you believing in in someone else's throat.
Mark 16:15-16 ESV

And he said to them,“Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Matthew 28:19 ESV

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Revelation 14:6 ESV / 8 helpful votes

Then I saw another angel flying directly overhead, with an eternal gospel to proclaim to those who dwell on earth, to every nation and tribe and language and people.
KJV

United States

#10641 Jan 8, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>String theory has never been established anyway.

And I think that shoud be 10^12 electron volts.
Yes 10^12

String theory is well over 40 years old. It's that established?
String theory being what it is makes it almost in possible to test.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#10642 Jan 8, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes 10^12
String theory is well over 40 years old. It's that established?
String theory being what it is makes it almost in possible to test.
Age doesn't matter. It's not fully established yet, end of story.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10643 Jan 8, 2013
You're right of course. Brian was saying that there are greater energies in our upper atmosphere than the LHC can yield- so nothing new to worry about.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
More accurately, if the theory is correct that would allow black holes to be produced at the LHC, then they would also be produced in the upper atmosphere. As yet, we have seen no black holes from either. Since the theory was a bit 'out there' to begin with, that isn't surprising.
KJV

United States

#10644 Jan 8, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong.

I don't know.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10645 Jan 8, 2013
No argument, the chicken egg came first.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
While of course if that's how it happened. The Bible teaches us that God made all animals in a mature state
So if this is correct then the chicken came first. Back to the old argument I'm afraid. Lol.
KJV

United States

#10646 Jan 8, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>There is no evidence that your god exists.

We don't know how life itself started. You don't either.
Yes there is. One item of evidence is the Bible.

I do know how life started its right there in the first few pages of the Bible.

Just because you can't get it to work your way doesn't mean we don't know how it really happened.

#10647 Jan 8, 2013
Thinking wrote:
You're right of course. Brian was saying that there are greater energies in our upper atmosphere than the LHC can yield- so nothing new to worry about.
<quoted text>
Compressing matter in to a black hole does not increase it's gravitational pull overall. If the sun were to suddenly compress into a black hole, Earth's orbit would continue undisturbed.

Likewise, if you were to compress a coffee cup into a black hole, your orbit around it would continue unabated.

If we compress some subatomic particles into black holes, other atoms would continue to orbit around them as normal. Only if something were to come in contact with the black hole "horizon" directly would anything change. Given the size of the black holes generated by the LHC and in the upper atmosphere, the likelihood is they could pass between a hydrogen electron and nucleus without disturbing anything.

So, I don't see much to worry about.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#10648 Jan 8, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes there is. One item of evidence is the Bible.
I do know how life started its right there in the first few pages of the Bible.
Just because you can't get it to work your way doesn't mean we don't know how it really happened.
How many times must you have this explained to you, the bible is the assertion, and it contains a lot of assertions. Assertions are not evidence.
KJV

United States

#10649 Jan 8, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>You'll need to speak to KJV about that.

It's HIS claim. Not Khatru's.
They are called the Dead Sea scrolls.
KJV

United States

#10650 Jan 8, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>He keeps trying to use probability as an argument but doesn't actually understand probability enough to state his case.

So, like a broken record, he keeps making these stupid pronouncements that everybody else is wrong. He can't actually take it further to explain his math, he has none.

(Can I still say broken record with some assurance that readers even know what this implies? The reference seems so dated.)
Assume that the ribozyme is 300 nucleotides long, and that at each position there could be any of four nucleotides present. The chances of that ribozyme assembling are then 4^300, a number so large that it could not possibly happen by chance even once in 13 billion years, the age of the universe.

#10651 Jan 8, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Assume that the ribozyme is 300 nucleotides long, and that at each position there could be any of four nucleotides present. The chances of that ribozyme assembling are then 4^300, a number so large that it could not possibly happen by chance even once in 13 billion years, the age of the universe.
If things happened in nature "by chance" they don't.

For example, if you jumped as high as you possibly could, which planet would you "randomly" come down on?
KJV

United States

#10652 Jan 8, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>He keeps trying to use probability as an argument but doesn't actually understand probability enough to state his case.

"Watson suggests the number of evolutionary steps needed to create intelligent life, in the case of humans, is four. These include the emergence of single-celled bacteria, complex cells, specialized cells allowing complex life forms, and intelligent life with an established language.
“Complex life is separated from the simplest life forms by several very unlikely steps and therefore will be much less common. Intelligence is one step further, so it is much less common still,” said Prof Watson.
Watson’s model suggests an upper limit for the probability of each step occurring is 10 per cent or less, so the chances of intelligent life emerging is low — less than 0.01 per cent over four billion years."

Read more: http://www.universetoday.com/13741/the-odds-o...

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#10653 Jan 8, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
Religious fraud:
There is more money stolen in the name of God than any other way
Deborah Bortner, former president of the North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA). We want to encourage a general open discussion here about religious fraud and excess.
More at:
http://religiousfraud.org/
Good topic! Religious fraud is the oldest fraud.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#10654 Jan 8, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Micro black holes have been postulated and are predicted by some theories of cosmology, but they have not been actually observed as yet. The main difficulty is how they would be produced. Under some cosmological theories, they are made in the very early universe when there are large density fluctuations. The problem is that smaller black holes evaporate by Hawking radiation and there doesn't appear to be any way to produce new ones after that initial phase.
OK, thanks. Does that mean that they may never have existed, or that if they did, they may have all evaporated away by now?
KJV

United States

#10655 Jan 8, 2013
Hedonist wrote:

"What if we ARE all alone? Scientists say Earth may be a 'one-off fluke' and the Milky Way's billions of other planets may all be lifeless"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/articl...
Follow us:@MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 13 min Richardfs 14,940
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 27 min Chimney1 35,078
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 4 hr emperorjohn 139
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 4 hr Reason Personified 156
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 4 hr woodtick57 20,092
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 6 hr superwilly 3,710
There are no such things as gods or fairies 14 hr Amused 102
More from around the web