Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11176 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#10598 Jan 8, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
Religious fraud:

There is more money stolen in the name of God than any other way–Deborah Bortner, former president of the North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA). We want to encourage a general open discussion here about religious fraud and excess.

More at:

http://religiousfraud.org/
I liked this paragraph:

"Prosperity Gospel–Sometimes referred to as the “Health and Wealth Gospel”, it is a theology which proclaims that one’s faith or speech, combined with generous donations to Christian ministries will increase one’s material wealth. Other less complimentary slang names for it include the “name-it-and-claim-it” or “blab-it-and-grab-it” gospel."

Blab-it-and-grab-it".

ROFL!

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#10599 Jan 8, 2013
34 Billion dollars in Christian fraud:

"The January 2011 issue of the International Bulletin of Missionary Research reported that Christian religious leaders will commit an estimated $34 billion in financial fraud in 2011 while $31 billion will be spent on global missions. Researchers "

More at:

http://christianheadlines.com/blog/2011/01/08...

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#10600 Jan 8, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>I remember Prof Brian Cox saying micro black holes are regularly created by cosmic rays in the upper atmosphere with no adverse consequences. This was in response to some mentalist claiming the LHC could create a planet eater.
That only happens I Ratchet and Clank.

Micro black holes would only last for some billionths of a second.

Hardly enough time to swallow a planet.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#10601 Jan 8, 2013
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now we know why you didn't want to read the Bible. You didn't want to plough through to understand it.“The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” was more on your level of comprehension.
Actually, Huckleberry Finn does require a highschool level to comprehend the basics, beyond the basics you need a college degree to actually understand the social nuances and very valid points against prejudice and racism in that book.

The bible is more akin to Dr Seuss, if Dr Seuss wrote smut. The bible was intended to be for illiterate idiots.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10602 Jan 8, 2013
That long? ;)
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
That only happens I Ratchet and Clank.
Micro black holes would only last for some billionths of a second.
Hardly enough time to swallow a planet.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#10603 Jan 8, 2013
KJV wrote:
3.14 is what is in the Bible.
No it's not. What's in the bible is ten cubits across, thirty cubits around, and a hand thick. You have to make an unjustified ad hoc assumption - modify one of the two specs given - to come up with 3.13953488. Does anybody doubt that if it suited you better to call the 540 inches the outer circumference and/or 180 inches the inner diameter that you wouldn't have insisted that that os what the bible meant?

The passage was obviously written by crude, primitive men, not a god, who would have better knowledge and higher standards, which is really what the discussion is about - did a god write it or not? Obviously not.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#10604 Jan 8, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't they hoping to produce some with the LHC?
There was some speculation that they might be produced at the LHC *if* there are extra spatial dimensions of the right size. We have not seen any.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#10605 Jan 8, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I remember Prof Brian Cox saying micro black holes are regularly created by cosmic rays in the upper atmosphere with no adverse consequences. This was in response to some mentalist claiming the LHC could create a planet eater.
<quoted text>
More accurately, if the theory is correct that would allow black holes to be produced at the LHC, then they would also be produced in the upper atmosphere. As yet, we have seen no black holes from either. Since the theory was a bit 'out there' to begin with, that isn't surprising.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#10606 Jan 8, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
No it's not. What's in the bible is ten cubits across, thirty cubits around, and a hand thick. You have to make an unjustified ad hoc assumption - modify one of the two specs given - to come up with 3.13953488. Does anybody doubt that if it suited you better to call the 540 inches the outer circumference and/or 180 inches the inner diameter that you wouldn't have insisted that that os what the bible meant?
The passage was obviously written by crude, primitive men, not a god, who would have better knowledge and higher standards, which is really what the discussion is about - did a god write it or not? Obviously not.
Exactly. The people involved were using the approximation of the day (even in the best case interpretation). Why any directing deity couldn't have given better tools and processes is yet another matter.

Fennario

#10607 Jan 8, 2013
KJV wrote:
Like you can't figure that out?
They were measuring with their
Forearms and hands for God sake!
And you guy want Pi carried out to 1000 digits!
If you said that the bowl was ten cubits across and 31 cubits, 2 hands around, you would get a ratio of 3.1444444..., whether you were discussing the inner or outer dimensions, however thick the bowl was, and without any ad hoc shenanigans.

Your god - or whoever speaks for him - screwed up.

Fennario

#10608 Jan 8, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>I think that the point is that nomadic goat herders didn't know what a decimil was at the time.
Irrelevant.

Ten cubits across, and 31 cubits, two hands around. No fractions are needed to specify those dimensions.

Fennario

#10609 Jan 8, 2013
derek4 wrote:
Are there any solutions to all the deception and fraud in publishing scientific reasearch?
Yes, the scientific method. Not the one used in the lab - hypothesize, experiment, collect and analyze data, etc. That's microscience, and it's product is not science yet, not until it's vetted by the macroscientific method.

This is the application of the test of time, where result are first subjected to peer referees looking for methodological, statistical, or other formal flaws.

If they pass this test - and several famous claims never got past this, such as superluminal neutrinos - then the next phase begins: reproducing the data. And over the long run, the test is the development or not of conflicting data.

So, a report that comes out tomorrow doesn't have the same status as an old idea like evolution. Untold numbers of people have had a chance to find a problem with the core theory, and for a century and a half. They never have, except from Christian think tanks, which are ignored.

Also, in that time not only has no disconfirming finding been discovered, but evidence from multiple arenas confirms the theory. The evidence is so robust that it's redundant. Genetic and paleontological evidence would have been enough. The biochemical and anatomical nested hierarchies are gravy, as are the biogeographical discoveries like ring species - a smoking gun for "macroevolution." We don't need Darwin's finches.

That's the scientific method I'm talking about - the method of validating the output of the laboratories. What comes out of that larger process is the gold. You can trust your life on it, and you do.

Your transparently tendentious preoccupation with the amount of dross separated from the gold is pointless. It reveals that you have no better argument against science and the scientific method than criticizing its input - its raw material.

Science is amazing.
KJV

United States

#10610 Jan 8, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Prove it isn't what jesus wanted for him.
No

LOL. Prove this prove that LMAO
KJV

United States

#10611 Jan 8, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>So *say* that the values are approximate.
Pi is alway approximate (math fact)

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#10612 Jan 8, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope Atheist is Atheist. Non-religious is non-religious. That's why they are listed separately because they are not the same thing.
The nice thing about the non-religious is that, in general, they don't have a problem with established science or gays, and they don't try to push their beliefs.

You won't find too many "non religious evangelists".

They're the kind of people that an atheist can actually have an intelligent conversation with.
KJV

United States

#10613 Jan 8, 2013
Adam wrote:
Taking a break from the forum. Have fun y'all.
Bye ya do come back now ya hear.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#10614 Jan 8, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
I say God made you zip your back to zero.
Zip my back to zero?

WTF?

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#10615 Jan 8, 2013
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Computers, just like other things made by man, are imperfect like man. They constantly have to be updated and maintained. Many, like the theory of evolution, are obsolete and useless today.
You might want to tell that to the people working on antibiotics and vaccines.

I don't think they got the memo.
KJV

United States

#10616 Jan 8, 2013
<quoted text>Very interesting. Thanks for the cosmology lessons.

How about micro black holes? Aren't there also black holes much less massive than supernova remnants?
All attempts to prove micro black holes has failed. While they do exist on paper we can't find or make any so far. If fact the micro black hole is giving string theory a bit of a hard time.

""Back in 2006 there was a lot of talk of testing String Theory. Well, today CERN has released a statement for the Compact Muon Solenoid Experiment. The short of it is simply that as far as they could tell,'No experimental evidence for microscopic black holes has been found.' The long statement indicates that since the highly precise CMS detector found no spray of sub-atomic particles of normal matter while LHC smashed particles together, the hypothesis by String Theory that micro black holes would be formed and quickly evaporated in this experiment was incorrect. These tests have given the team confidence to say that they can exclude a 'variety of theoretical models' for the cases of black holes with a mass of 3.5-4.5 TeV (1012 electron volts). Not Even Wrong points us to the arxiv prepublication for those of you well versed in Greek. While you may not be able to run around claiming that String Theory is dead and disproved, evidently there are some adjustments that need to be made."

http://science.slashdot.org/story/10/12/16/14...
KJV

United States

#10617 Jan 8, 2013
<quoted text>This is a nice teaching aid to make that point:
http://i.imgur.com/xWpvw.jpg

But I also admired (Topix poster) thinking's point that the idea of there being a boundary immediately solves the chicken-egg problem. If we stipulate to the premise that one day, a pre-chicken suffered a mutation and was the parent of the first chicken, then of course the egg it laid - a chicken egg - came first.
While of course if that's how it happened. The Bible teaches us that God made all animals in a mature state
So if this is correct then the chicken came first. Back to the old argument I'm afraid. Lol.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min blacklagoon 3 93,386
News Scientific, Philosophical Case for God's Existe... 1 hr Eagle 12 - 80
News American Atheists terminates its president over... Apr 20 Eagle 12 - 19
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Apr 14 blacklagoon 3 4,141
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Apr 14 Into The Night 258,515
News The Anti-Christian Movement Apr 10 blacklagoon 3 11
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) Apr 9 Wisdom of Ages 6,048