Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments (Page 502)

Showing posts 10,021 - 10,040 of11,195
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, this is an *approximation*. Even *if* you can just/7.
"Since cubits and handbreadths are measured against a person's body, and since bodies vary, actual measurements (as opposed to "standardized" measurements) will vary from person to person. Your desk might be thirty inches tall, just like mine, but you might have bigger hands, so you might get a body-measure of only ten handbreadths. This variation is normal. Since we have no idea what Hiram's body measurements were, we'll have to approximate by using the standardized values for cubits and handbreadths."

And yet it does come to 3.14 as Pi when using the outside and inside measurements. Leaving the thickness of the bowl as a real would item strong enough to support the water inside the bowl. If your going to claim the Bible is a myth you should not use an example that does show that the Bible does indeed call Pi 3.14

Remember when working this issues it is not a math quiz it instructions on building a 3D item that is to be used. So there should be a thickness to the walls to hold water. Math quizzes are in 2D.
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

No.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"Now that you have some background information, let's look at the actual numbers:
The Calculations
Here again is the quote being referred to:
"And he [Hiram] made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one rim to the other it was round all about, and...a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about....And it was an hand breadth thick...." — First Kings, chapter 7, verses 23 and 26
The bowl is said to have had a circumference of thirty cubits and a diameter of ten cubits. The diameter is said to be "from one rim to the other", so this would be the outer diameter; that is, the diameter of the outer mold used to make the bowl.
The circumference is not specified as being the inner or outer circumference, but since using the outer circumference would give us the "ideal" bowl (with no width or thickness), let's instead use the inner circumference, which also, reasonably, would have been the circumference of the mold used to form the inside of the bowl. That is, we will use the two measurements which were necessary for the casting of the piece.
Using eighteen inches for one cubit, we have the following:
outer diameter: 10 cubits, or 180 inches
outer radius: 5 cubits, or 90 inches
inner circumference: 30 cubits, or 540 inches
To find the "Jewish" or "Bible" value for pi, we need to have the inner radius. Once we have that value, we can plug it into the formula for the circumference and compare with the given circumference value of 540 inches.
Since the thickness of the bowl is given as one handsbreadth, then the inner radius must be:
90 – 4 = 86 inches
Let's do the calculations:
inner radius: 86 inches
inner circumference: 540 inches
The circumference formula is C = 2(pi)r, which gives us:
540 = 2(pi)(86)
540 = 172(pi)
Solving, we get pi = 540/172 = 135/43 = 3.1395348837..., or about 3.14.
Um... Isn't "3.14" the approximation we all use for pi? Perhaps those Phoenicians were fairly accurate after all."
http://www.purplemath.com/modules/bibleval.ht...
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Sorry Tinkles. It is correct.
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Apology accepted. But you're wrong.
KJV wrote:
Sorry Tinkles. It is correct.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

derek4 wrote:
How humiliating it must be for atheists to admit in a public forum they are against the Bible
Really? You think it's humiliating to reject your bible,your god and your church? I am quite proud to say that I do.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Apology. But you're wrong.
Where is the math wrong?
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

It's not the approximation I use for pi. You said it was the approximation "we all use". Wrong. So FU.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is the math wrong?
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>Wow, you really are quick to make judgments about people with little to no information. How very Christian of you!

I changed majors from theology to business management, had a whole career in IT management, retired in my mid-40s. Lived out in the country on a little horse ranch for about 12 year breeding and training Paso Finos. Retired from ranching last year and now live in a highrise in Atlanta.

As you should have noticed, I'n not on these threads too much during the week. Yes, I'm retired (for the 2nd time) and about 60, but I stay pretty busy volunteering with various civic efforts in the city.
Well thats good for you then. So you didn't drop out or was thrown off, you chanced majors and became filthy rich
Retired in your 40's and moved to a pony ranch. Well I glad you had a nice full life.
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Prove it isn't what jesus wanted for him.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Well thats good for you then. So you didn't drop out or was thrown off, you chanced majors and became filthy rich
Retired in your 40's and moved to a pony ranch. Well I glad you had a nice full life.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>It's not the approximation I use for pi. You said it was the approximation "we all use". Wrong. So FU.
"It's not the approximation I use for pi. "

No one uses Pi it's always an approximation. How many digits
Do you use? 12, 30, 50,000?

How many digits do you think were required to build this bowl?
I know 3.14 is all they needed.
3.14 is what is in the Bible.
3.14 is the most common used number for Pi.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is the math wrong?
Pi is not equal to 3.14. The latter is a fair approximation, but they are not equal.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"It's not the approximation I use for pi. "
No one uses Pi it's always an approximation. How many digits
Do you use? 12, 30, 50,000?
How many digits do you think were required to build this bowl?
I know 3.14 is all they needed.
3.14 is what is in the Bible.
3.14 is the most common used number for Pi.
So *say* that the values are approximate.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Pi is not equal to 3.14. The latter is a fair approximation, but they are not equal.
Really?
Do you think that just might be why I posted that the MOST COMMON number used for Pi is 3.14 then asked if he took it the 12 digit or the 30 digit or the 50,000 digit?

It's all in how far you want to take the number. If you were dealing in nothing but whole numbers then Pi would be 3.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>So *say* that the values are approximate.
Like you can't figure that out?
They were measuring with their
Forearms and hands for God sake!

And you guy want Pi carried out to 1000 digits!

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
So? How does that change the calculated value of pi?
<quoted text>
No, 3 times this is 3.141509434 and pi=3.1415926535... More importantly, 3*(111/106) is rational (the ratio of two integers) and pi is irrational.
<quoted text>
Meaningless drivel. The name for the ratio of the circumference and the diameter was not given by the Greeks, but by Leonard Euler in the 1700's. So you are looking at a name given by a European, the name being greek, and your claim is that a text can be interpreted to give that name. Can we say delusional?
The name is a *convention* and not something determined by the mathematics itself. If anything, 2*pi is more fundamental than pi.
I think that the point is that nomadic goat herders didn't know what a decimil was at the time.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>I think that the point is that nomadic goat herders didn't know what a decimil was at the time.
The only pi they knew about was one containing animal sacrifes to appease their demented deity.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Taking a break from the forum. Have fun y'all.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
Again, you support the evidence for the Big Bang theory. Thanks again.

Black holes have been found. Most galaxies have a supermassive black hole at their core. There are also smaller ones produced from supernova explosions. The speculation that black holes provide a substantial part of the Dark matter has been shown wrong, however. There are limits to the amount of baryonic matter as a fraction of the total amount of matter (ordinary plus dark) and a large number of black holes would violate these observations.
Very interesting. Thanks for the cosmology lessons.

How about micro black holes? Aren't there also black holes much less massive than supernova remnants?

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
The only pi they knew about was one containing animal sacrifes to appease their demented deity.
I think that shepard's pie would be a more accurate comment.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
An analogy I like is to imagine alternatively putting a penny and a nickel in a pile of coins. At the beginning, you don't have a lot of money in the pile, but eventually, there will be billions of dollars. Which coin made the total go from not a lot of money to a lot of money?

The point is that it is a gradual transition with no firm boundaries because the definition of 'a lot' is vague. Similarly, the transition from non-chicken to chicken was a long, gradual process with no clear boundary between the two. At each stage, there is an alternation between egg and animal, but there is no sharp line to being a chicken.
This is a nice teaching aid to make that point:
http://i.imgur.com/xWpvw.jpg

But I also admired (Topix poster) thinking's point that the idea of there being a boundary immediately solves the chicken-egg problem. If we stipulate to the premise that one day, a pre-chicken suffered a mutation and was the parent of the first chicken, then of course the egg it laid - a chicken egg - came first.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 10,021 - 10,040 of11,195
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••