Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11177 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#10452 Jan 6, 2013
Here's a post Khatru might like:

BBC provides us with some more interesting facts on our famed “Piltdown Man” at this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/archaeol...

No copyrighted material was reproduced in this post.

Location hidden

#10453 Jan 6, 2013
The New York times reported on Juliet Jacobs' lung cancer and tells how she entered a research study at Duke University. The Duke program was considered a marvelous “breakthrough” in the treatment of Ms Jaobs' kind of cancer. She had found a cure – or had she? No, unfortunately. The Duke program was wrong and worthless. Ms Jacobs died a few months later. Her case is a sterling example of flawed science in the medical community.

The included link contains more detail on the sad but interesting Jacobs case.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/08/health/rese...

Location hidden

#10454 Jan 6, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me these updates.
What are the scrolls and what are the corresponding updates?
I have found Google very hepful in researching many of the basic questions you have.

I know how tedious it can be to plough through material, but there is a wealth of information on Google.

Try it sometime, lol.

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#10455 Jan 6, 2013
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you lack intestinal fortitude, and you lack knowledge of the Bible. You admit you don't have the background to speak on it. In other words, you're not a worthy contributor to the forum.
Lol

Don't be dim, Dim.

You talk about worthy contributions while all the time your own cut + paste jobs are a cesspit of nugacity.

Location hidden

#10456 Jan 6, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you like to repeat that in a more intelligible format?
Man you are sloooowww, aren't you?

I mean, you keep mentioning "new" documents, but you don't know why?

You fight against the Bible you haven't read, and you don't want to "plough" through information?

Well, Khatru, we can't hold your hand and spoon feed you with all the information you keep overlooking and refusing to read. You have to help us a wee bit by appling yourself more.

Watford, UK

#10457 Jan 6, 2013
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't think Stalin was a threat to humanity? You admired him, right?
Stalin had a moustache.

No doubt you see all mustachioed men as evil.

Location hidden

#10458 Jan 6, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol
Don't be dim, Dim.
You talk about worthy contributions while all the time your own cut + paste jobs are a cesspit of nugacity.
So you're also not observant enough to notice I haven't copied and pasted anything for about 10 days except for that Mark Twain quote I posted awhile ago about how much better off YOU would be to keep your mouth closed instead of opening it?

This one:

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”- Mark Twain

Watford, UK

#10459 Jan 6, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
"Darwin's Theory of Evolution - A Theory In Crisis"
"Darwin's Theory of Evolution is a theory in crisis in light of the tremendous advances we've made in molecular biology, biochemistry and genetics over the past fifty years. We now know that there are in fact tens of thousands of irreducibly complex systems on the cellular level. Specified complexity pervades the microscopic biological world. Molecular biologist Michael Denton wrote, "Although the tiniest bacterial cells are incredibly small, weighing less than 10^-12 grams, each is in effect a veritable micro-miniaturized factory containing thousands of exquisitely designed pieces of intricate molecular machinery, made up altogether of one hundred thousand million atoms, far more complicated than any machinery built by man and absolutely without parallel in the non-living world."
And we don't need a microscope to observe irreducible complexity. The eye, the ear and the heart are all examples of irreducible complexity, though they were not recognized as such in Darwin's day. Nevertheless, Darwin confessed, "To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree."
http://www.darwins-theory-of-evolution.com/
From your website:

"Many people refer to us as “Christians,” but we consider ourselves followers of Jesus. Like Jesus, we reject many of the issues found in “organized religion”(man-made attempts to reach God through rules and rituals). Actually, we believe religion has kept more people from the truth than anything in history. Although we reject man-made religion, we consider the personal pursuit of God as paramount in each of our personal life journeys."

When it comes to science, I'll listen to the scientists.

You should too: you know that ju-ju and superstitious mumbo jumbo are not scientific.

Watford, UK

#10460 Jan 6, 2013
derek4 wrote:
Here's a post Khatru might like:
BBC provides us with some more interesting facts on our famed “Piltdown Man” at this link:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/archaeol...
Thanks for that.

Another testament to how fraudsters are always caught out by the scientific community.

Nice to see you supporting that fact.

Location hidden

#10461 Jan 6, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Stalin had a moustache.
No doubt you see all mustachioed men as evil.
He was probably very dear to you, even though virtually all of civilized society loathed him.

I will admit, though - like atheists, he was quite a dictator of beliefs, so I'm sure that made him your hero.

Langoliers

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#10462 Jan 6, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>How undignified for you to compare your superstition to Stalin.

This only serves to indicate just how threatened you feel.
Incredible! LOL
Khatru has picked a puppet for his avatar because he must be a ventriloquist all he does try and put words in other people's mouth.

Howdy Doody!

Watford, UK

#10463 Jan 6, 2013
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have found Google very hepful in researching many of the basic questions you have.
I know how tedious it can be to plough through material, but there is a wealth of information on Google.
Try it sometime, lol.
In other words, you have no answer to my question.

Don't worry, there's no shame in your failure - I won't gloat.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#10464 Jan 6, 2013
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>How humiliating it must be for atheists to admit in a public forum they are against the Bible they haven't read and know nothing about.

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”- Mark Twain
Dave advice.

You should heed it.

Watford, UK

#10465 Jan 6, 2013
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're also not observant enough to notice I haven't copied and pasted anything for about 10 days except for that Mark Twain quote I posted awhile ago about how much better off YOU would be to keep your mouth closed instead of opening it?
This one:
Here's one you'll approve of:

"The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it."

-Mark Twain-

Location hidden

#10466 Jan 6, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for that.
Another testament to how fraudsters are always caught out by the scientific community.
Nice to see you supporting that fact.
You have a comprehension problem, but we will forgive you. We've grown accustomed to how you get things backward.

It's amazing that you ever managed to understand how Noah and his family were right. But you did. Like I once said, you will always have a special place in my heart for that which no one else could ever fill.

Location hidden

#10467 Jan 6, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's one you'll approve of:
"The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it."
-Mark Twain-
Mark Twain should have followed his own advice in the quote I posted, where he said,“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”

However the first part is correct - "the gods" (lol) offer no rewards. "The gods" offer nothing, lol.

I hope there is some chance Mark Twain met the one and only GOD before he passed on.

I hope you do too, but my guess is you won't.

Langoliers

Location hidden

#10468 Jan 6, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>It not s "proof". It's basic application of probability.

From a population of 1 known (observed & measured) planet where life could possibly exist we have an observed and measured occurrence of 1 planet where life actually does exist.

In "1:1", the first 1 is the observed occurrences of a stated outcome and the second 1 is the sample size. Therefore probability theory dictates that on any planet where life could possibly exist as we know it, there is a 100% chance that life actually does exist.

As I have repeatedly told you, probability theory is meaningless with such a limited sample size. Your entire "odds are" argument is laughable.

I am truly sorry that this is apparently beyond your ability to understand.
So what you're saying is because we looked at one planet and it has life the Theory's of what happened to get that life is 1:1 regardless of your theory of how life got here.

Oh and we have looked at least 5 other planets and some moons and found no life so your 1:1 is incorrect.

"the second 1 is the sample size"

Location hidden

#10469 Jan 6, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, you have no answer to my question.
Don't worry, there's no shame in your failure - I won't gloat.
To KJV:
(and) To Langoliers:

Please spoon feed poor Khatru, please change his (her?) diaper and please do all his (her?) research. Poor Khatru was never good at ploughing.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#10470 Jan 6, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>Dave advice.

You should heed it.
Sage.

Not Dave.

Stupid smartphone.

Langoliers

Location hidden

#10471 Jan 6, 2013
"According to the big bang theory, all the matter in the universe erupted from a singularity. Why didn't all this matter--cheek by jowl as it was--immediately collapse into a black hole?

Scientific American astronomy editor George Musser explains.

This question really has two parts. First, how was matter able to get out of the big-bang singularity? After all, physicists describe a black hole singularity as a pit into which material flows but from which it cannot escape. Let us leave aside the fact that singularities are an idealization. The basic point is that the universe was born with a tendency to expand, which overcame the tendency of matter to collapse. According to relativity theory, space does not like to remain static; for all but the most special cases, it either expands or contracts. But why it initially chose the former is still a mystery.

In some ways, you can think of the universe as a black hole turned inside out. A black hole is a singularity into which material flows. The universe is a singularity out of which material has flowed. A black hole is surrounded by an event horizon, a surface inside which we cannot see. The universe is surrounded by a cosmological horizon, a surface outside of which we cannot see.(A crucial difference, though, is that the event horizon is fixed whereas the cosmological horizon varies from observer to observer.)

The second part of the question is: Why didn¿t matter in the early universe collapse into black holes? After all, physicists say that if you squeeze matter to a high enough density, it will collapse into a black hole, and the density of matter in the early universe was extremely high. The answer is that black-hole formation actually depends on the variation in density from one place to another--and there was very little variation back then. Matter was spread out almost perfectly smoothly.

In fact, cosmologists usually turn the question around. The fact that the universe did not recollapse into a swarm of black holes is evidence that sharp density variations did not exist (or were extremely rare). This lack of sharp variations, in turn, is evidence for the inflationary model that most cosmologists today accept."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 5 min JustASkeptic 8
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 17 min Aura Mytha 48,498
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr scientia potentia... 23,492
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr Rosa_Winkel 21,866
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Sat Eagle 12 258,039
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Sat Eagle 12 4,907
Why you need to make sure you are saved before ... Fri Scaritual 14
More from around the web