Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments (Page 489)

Showing posts 9,761 - 9,780 of11,219
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
A statement after the fact is not a prophecy, and nothing in the bible was written prior to those, except the one that was forcibly fulfilled by humans who believe in that nonsense. Face it, you are lying now.
How about you come up with something original to say...its like you are copying the words of others, like this guy bellow.

Alma 30
14 Behold, these things which ye call prophecies, which ye say are handed down by holy prophets, behold, they are foolish traditions of your fathers.

15 How do ye know of their surety? Behold, ye cannot know of things which ye do not see; therefore ye cannot know that there shall be a Christ.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Where have I once stated I knew what a scientist does in their personal life? It's your article that does that, not me, I just pointed out the assumptions made in the article. I do know a bunch of scientists who do a ton of research "off the clock," they're on YouTube, often posting videos of their personal research.
So you are saying youtube contains the valuable scientific findings of credible scientists while Foreign Policy Magazine's list top global thinkers are brainwashed? Brilliant.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
How about you come up with something original to say...its like you are copying the words of others, like this guy bellow.
Alma 30
14 Behold, these things which ye call prophecies, which ye say are handed down by holy prophets, behold, they are foolish traditions of your fathers.
15 How do ye know of their surety? Behold, ye cannot know of things which ye do not see; therefore ye cannot know that there shall be a Christ.
Yes, we know your doctrine is written to contradict itself thus providing you with justification and excuses for all of your stupid.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are saying youtube contains the valuable scientific findings of credible scientists while Foreign Policy Magazine's list top global thinkers are brainwashed? Brilliant.
Yes, I am, let's compare:

Foreign Policy is about foreign affairs ... it's a rag about gossip and policies.

YouTube contains lectures from the greates universities, Berkeley is my personal favorite, and vlogs from many scientists, yes, actual scientists, they have some interesting user names too. Documentaries from some of the best sources, not just cable TV crab either. As well as sponsored scientific events, music by geeks about science, footage of actual experiments, and some wonderful, well studied, people.

I think YouTube wins hands down, if you don't agree then you are insane. Pretty simple, no?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, we know your doctrine is written to contradict itself thus providing you with justification and excuses for all of your stupid.
Why do ye go about perverting the ways of the Lord? Why do ye teach this people that there shall be no Christ, to interrupt their rejoicings? Why do ye speak against all the prophecies of the holy prophets?

(Alma 30:22)

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do ye go about perverting the ways of the Lord? Why do ye teach this people that there shall be no Christ, to interrupt their rejoicings? Why do ye speak against all the prophecies of the holy prophets?
(Alma 30:22)
Funny, even your doctrine says you shouldn't do what you do. Yet, you keep doing it. That's called hypocrisy.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
The majority of people used to think the earth was flat. The best rise to the top and usually they are few and sadly there are many naive people fearing a delusion called god.
<quoted text>
According to the "no science" of the Bible, the earth is flat.

Notice how similar the word "nonsense" is to "no science"

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>\\\
again. You never actually addressed my post the last time I answered you --
" http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... ;
When you do respond, KJV ignores you, when you don't, KJV accuses you of not responding to a sufficient level.

No wonder he's confused.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Khatru, I am concerned about Islam in connection with it's possible link to terrorism.
But since I don't believe in mythology, neither Islam nor atheism can negatively impact my belief whatsoever.
Does atheism “worry” me – no – why would it – or how could atheism be a threat to me or what I believe? If someone believes in fraudulent science, or no God (or god) or believes that there are 100 various gods, that doesn't jeopardize or diminish MY belief, lol.
I don't even know any atheists personally, or if I do, they “hid” it out of shame, as I have found from my research that many atheists do.
I feel sorry for atheists, even though it's human nature to get mad at them, because most of them are rude and obnoxious. When anyone is confronted with people who are rude and obnoxious, the human reaction is to respond the same way back to them, lol. I realize I've been rude to you, when I shouldn't be, since I'm not sure you can overcome your ignorance.
But there is a part of me that still admires you for commending Noah and his family so many times for their knowledge. I know, I've said that before, but I don't want you to ever forget it.
Anyway.........participation in this forum has convinced me that atheists have absolutely nothing going for themselves, nor does the mythological fraudulent science on which their faith is based.
Also, participation in this forum has been encouraging and uplifting, since it has caused me to research so many topics, including the explosive the growth of Christianity in China and many other countries around the globe. Actually, I was very surprised at the encouraging statistics on it, weren't you?
Consequently, I'm happy to reassure you that I have grown in my faith and belief of the Christian God since participating for the past 3 months in this forum. In fact, I would like to thank you for helping me in that growth.
You're fooling yourself.

As you grow in faith you shrink in logic and reason and the less said about your knowledge of science the better.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Even though I know you are eager to see Jesus, you're going to have to constrain your impatience.
From the Bible:
2 Peter, chapter 3, verse 8
Added by later writers to try and explain away the failed prophecies of Jesus.

Anyway, nice to know that you don't believe it took your god six days to create the world.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I don't need to run from these threads I simply corrected your atheist buddy where he went wrong in his figuring.
Of course you're still trying to figure out what a coulomb is and what the ^ symbol means in a math equation. LOL
Come back when you know what Pi is and that a circle is not a sphere.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
I will say that "new" documents aren't found. However, we know that new findings have produced original old documents heretofore undiscovered which I can only speculate contributes to the changes KJV referred to.
Be accurate and honest when in your heart you know the intent of the post, even if it wasn't stated to your satisfaction, just as you have sometimes stated things about Noah that came out differently than you may have intended. We don't want to nit pick - it's not prodctive, is it? LOL
However, when you are commenting on another poster, I again need to remind you that you should address your concerns with that poster, not me.
Just like I've told you before, if you have concerns about the content of posted links, you need to address them with the publishers, not me.
If you and I are going to remain the great friends we always have been, I will ask you to cooperate with me on this, and I will thank you for your usual fine cooperation.
Given KJV's failure to address his own contradictions, I thought I'd see if you were prepared to help him out.

You're not.

Some buddy you are.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
endogenous retroviruses do not rely on the fossil record and they also prove evolution is a fact. There are 29 different ways to prove evolution is a fact.
Your God ... not so much.
Here's one of those ways...

"Traces of ancient viruses which infected our ancestors millions of years ago are more widespread in us than previously thought."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment...

"One of the viruses was found to have invaded the genome of a common ancestor around 100 million years ago with its remnants discovered in almost every mammal in the study.

Another infected an early primate with the result that it was found in apes, humans and other primates as well."

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
I had never thought of it quite that way. Is China powered by Christians?
I guess atheism isn't going to grow much in the United States since no atheist will be in power here - not for many years, at least.
Atheism is growing in the USA, you're a bit behind us in Europe but you will catch up.

If you know anything about China you'll know how superstitious they are and that nothing (not even religious structures) will be built without checking that the spirits are happy.

No church, mosque or temple is built without consulting the local feng shui man who checks the geomancy is right.

Any Christian movement in China will be inscrutably monitored by the government. We've already seen them come down hard on Christians who believed the world was ending. Christians in China will need to toe the party line.

In other words, Christianity in China will be on Chinese terms - you do know that bishops are appointed by the CCP and not by the Vatican.

Moreover, unlike us western countries which are nation states, China is a civilisation state with unbroken links and traditions going back thousands of years.

One of those traditions which Christianity can never hope to replace is the Chinese practice of ancestor worship. If Christianity hopes to survive in China then it will have to prostitute itself by making compromises that appeal to the Chinese and thus becoming a different Christianity to the one you're familiar with.

In any event, Christianity will always be viewed as a western movement and will never reach the level of acceptance that it achieved in Europe and America.

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Anything in there about Joseph Smith's several wives maybe the 14 year old he threatened her parents with eternal damnation if they didn't give her to him?

Regardless the book of moron is laughed at even by most theists. Horses didn't exist in America at that time and no artifacts of these so called tribes of Israel have ever been found. Some funny hoaxes though :))
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Read Alma Chapter 30 posted here: http://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/alma/30.44...
Let me know what you think. When I read this thread, I get the impression that its all summed up in this chapter.(Alma Chapter 30 records the conversation between an atheist and a theist in the Americas some time before the birth of Christ.)

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Flat square and rests on top of pillars lol :)

I am still waiting for one of them to answer my question but up till now they are stumped.

Why should anyone believe that god is anything more than the product of someone's vivid imagination?

Watch them scatter or snarl and insult! But what they can't do is answer that question.
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the "no science" of the Bible, the earth is flat.
Notice how similar the word "nonsense" is to "no science"

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>Quantum Mechanics fails as a theory.

From Nova:

"For decades, every attempt to describe the force of gravity in the same language as the other forces—the language of quantum mechanics—has met with disaster

S. JAMES GATES, JR.: You try to put those two pieces of mathematics together, they do not coexist peacefully.

S. JAMES GATES, JR.: The laws of nature are supposed to apply everywhere. So if Einstein's laws are supposed to apply everywhere, and the laws of quantum mechanics are supposed to apply everywhere, well you can't have two separate everywheres.

RIGHT SIDE BRIAN GREENE: In the years since, physics split into two separate camps: one that uses general relativity to study big and heavy objects, things like stars, galaxies and the universe as a whole...

LEFT SIDE BRIAN GREENE:...and another that uses quantum mechanics to study the tiniest of objects, like atoms and particles. This has been kind of like having two families that just cannot get along and never talk to each other...

LEFT SIDE BRIAN GREENE: There just seemed to be no way to combine quantum mechanics...

RIGHT SIDE BRIAN GREENE:...and general relativity in a single theory that could describe the universe on all scales.

So here's the question: if you're trying to figure out what happens in the depths of a black hole, where an entire star is crushed to a tiny speck, do you use general relativity because the star is incredibly heavy or quantum mechanics because it's incredibly tiny?

Well, that's the problem. Since the center of a black hole is both tiny and heavy, you can't avoid using both theories at the same time. And when we try to put the two theories together in the realm of black holes, they conflict. It breaks down. They give nonsensical predictions. And the universe is not nonsensical; it's got to make sense.
Well, maybe YOU will be the one to finally unite quantum mechanics and gravity.

It must be somewhere in that perfect bible of yours, since the book is perfect.

Maybe the GUT is really GOD, right?

That would be such a useful explanation. And it's so simple.

Right?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>Right.

Post something good about science, and they'll love it without question. Post something negative, no matter what the source, and they do one of 2 things: no answer, or they dig and scratch to find fault. If they can't find fault, they manufacture something irrelevant to post. I think there's an atheist school they all go to that teaches them phony tactics like that

LOL
Still using that computer, I see.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>You've been told about the "Grand Unification Problem" about a half dozen different ways that I know of, probably a lot more.

What you are doing is known as the "God of the Gaps". If Science can not currently explain it, then "God dunnit!!"

This was stupid in the Dark Ages when we didn't understand what caused the Black Plague. Now we do, and it was not "God's wrath".

The "God of the Gaps" gets smaller with every scientific discovery.

You are worshiping a shrinking god that you cannot even prove exists.
God now fits into a singularity.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
You have yet to point out anything in my proof that was not correct.
Try to improve your self confidence. You shouldn't beg for constant confirmation from other posters. When you do that, you demean yourself.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 9,761 - 9,780 of11,219
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••