Don't dictate beliefs

Don't dictate beliefs

There are 11177 comments on the The Star Press story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Don't dictate beliefs. In it, The Star Press reports that:

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Star Press.

KJV

United States

#9980 Jan 2, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Who said I'm going to Hell?

Not me.

I'm not going to Hell - I refuse to go.
LOL. To funny. Like that will work. LOL
KJV

United States

#9981 Jan 2, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>You pal (KJV) knows the answer to this.

Seeing as he's not around just now, I'll answer it for him.

It's because the founding fathers of the USA were atheists.
"The United States of America was founded by Christians as a Christian nation.

No, it was not and is not a theocracy. We do not have an official state church or an official state religion. In fact, the same Constitutional amendment which guarantees our freedom of religious expression also forbids an official state religion or church:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

But our country was undoubtedly founded by Christians. A few of the founders such as Benjamin Franklin and possibly Thomas Jefferson were not Christians, but even they were well grounded in the Bible and generally adhered to the moral and philosophical wisdom of Christianity.

From the colonial charters which almost universally cited the glory of God and the advancement of Christianity as their motivation, to the Declaration of Independence which cites “the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God” and our Creator as the source of our rights and appeals “to the Supreme Judge of the world” and declares “a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence,” to the U.S. Constitution which acknowledges the Christian worldview and even the Christian day of worship, our nation was founded on Christian principles so clearly that it cannot be rationally denied."

http://www.dakotavoice.com/2009/07/20583/
KJV

United States

#9982 Jan 2, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>Citations and links please, Mr Liar.
Here ya go Septic.

"< Revelation 20 >
King James Version
1And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. 2And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years, 3And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
4And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. 6Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

7And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, 8And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea. 9And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them. 10And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

11And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. 12And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

<< Revelation 20 >>
HOLY BIBLE, King James Version, Cambridge Edition.
Text Courtesy of www.BibleProtector.com .
KJV

United States

#9983 Jan 2, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>Read it, Dumbazz!!
"Coffman Commentaries on the Old and New Testament

LEVITICUS 14

This remarkable chapter deals not with the cure of leprosy, but with the ceremonies affecting the reception of the healed person back into the communion with the covenant people and his re-admission to the status that he formerly held in the community and within his family. These complicated rituals are admittedly very ancient and their appearance here is altogether consistent with their having been included here, at God's command, by Moses himself. Lofthouse commented that, "Lev. 14 shows into what a distant period the whole law must be pushed back."F1 In our opinion, the "pushing back" will never be accurate until it rests in the time of Moses!

It is astounding that some scholars profess to find a connection here with the magical rites of ancient paganism. Lofthouse, for example, said, "There is possibly an original connection with what would now be called magic, getting rid of the spirit or demon of disease."F2 The error in such a view is manifest in the fact that the leper in this chapter had to be healed FIRST, before any of the ceremonies here mentioned could begin. No efficacy whatever to heal the victim is implied or attributed to the ceremonies. As Wenham declared:

"Israel differed from her neighbors, who went in for exorcism and magical attempts to cure disease. In Israel, a man had to seek help directly from God in prayer, and not rely on the dubious remedies of folk medicine."F3
Since it is obvious that this chapter has nothing to do with the healing of disease, what is the significance of it? Allis discerned this as follows:

"The fact that leprosy is dealt with so elaborately indicates that this particularly loathsome and intractable disease is to be regarded as a type of that indwelling sin in which all the ills and afflictions of mankind have their cause and origin."F4

We accept this observation as accurate, for it appears that David considered his forgiveness regarding the transgression with Bathsheba as recalling, at least in some particulars, the rites of this chapter. "Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean. Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow" (Psalms 51:7).

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#9984 Jan 2, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Here ya go Septic.
"< Revelation 20 >
King James Version
1And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. 2And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years, 3And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
4And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. 6Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
7And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, 8And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea. 9And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them. 10And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
11And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. 12And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
<< Revelation 20 >>
HOLY BIBLE, King James Version, Cambridge Edition.
Text Courtesy of www.BibleProtector.com .
Religibable disproving no Scientific theories at all.

Again, you've got nothing.

Why am I not surprised?
KJV

United States

#9985 Jan 2, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Good point.

The OT god is a murdering maniac, rampaging through its pages killing as a first resort.

Come the NT, we have the same god but he only kills (as far as I'm aware) three people.

However, eternal torture of the vast majority of humanity is the act of a lunatic sadist.
What god are you talking about here?
Just trying to stay abreast with you on the conversation. You see if it was the God of the bible it would be capitalized
You used a small g so therefore it must be a pagan god by definition.
KJV

United States

#9986 Jan 2, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Absolutely

Except in this post....

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

KJV listed wars which he credited to atheists.

In this little list is the American War of Independence.
Wars that were listed were non- religion wars. In response to a post that pretty much blamed all wars and crimes on religion.

Kind of blew his idea out of the water by a 20 to 1 margin.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9987 Jan 2, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
What god are you talking about here?
Just trying to stay abreast with you on the conversation. You see if it was the God of the bible it would be capitalized
You used a small g so therefore it must be a pagan god by definition.
"Pagan god" for you means any god that is not your god. Yet other christians have different gods .... therefore your god is also a pagan one by your own definition.
KJV

United States

#9988 Jan 2, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>You're right.

Not only that but it also says that ALL liars will be thrown into teh lake of fire to burn.

This includes KJV and Dim, both of whom have been caught out by their lies.
No I don't thinks so puppet boy!
Because we post articles that point out how absurd you are does not make us liars.
KJV

United States

#9989 Jan 2, 2013
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>Like Kitten, you have a lot of catching up to do on your Bible studies.

What an embarrassment you are to yourself.

LMAO
He's never read the bible he just repeats post he's read else where.
No new thoughts.
KJV

United States

#9990 Jan 2, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>Evolution can be proven 29 different ways;
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/scipr...

And there is a letter signed by tens of thousands of christian clergy admitting that evolution is correct;
http://www.theclergyletterproject.org/Christi...

So not only is Evolution an established fact, the leaders of your religion admit it is true.

So, suck it up Bucky and STFU!!
"Evolution is not a proven fact; it’s a myth

Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 6:00 am

In regard to a letter to the editor Dec. 22 saying evolution is based on fact, what fact?

I have never heard of a fact that proves evolution is anything more than people’s opinion to explain away God. There is nothing scientific about evolution."

"Evolutionists say evolution is a fact, every bit as much as gravity is a fact. That is remarkable. We see and even feel gravity everyday. Evolution, on the other hand, entails rather dramatic, one-time, events that were supposed to have occurred long ago, when no one was around to witness them. How could we be sure of such a theory? There must be some extremely powerful and compelling scientific evidence for evolution to make it a fact as gravity is a fact. That is what one would think. But, surprisingly, there is no such evidence. When evolutionists try to explain why evolution is a fact, it is a tremendous anticlimax."

Evolution has been a very costly lie.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9991 Jan 2, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
He's never read the bible he just repeats post he's read else where.
No new thoughts.
Interesting assertion, rather convenient that it cannot be proven or disproven making you blameless if you're wrong. Well played there, you are actually learning how to be dishonest without lying.
KJV

United States

#9992 Jan 2, 2013
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>Wait.

Hold your breath while you're doing it.
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Care to point out where I said that it was ok that she removed data?
I'll wait.

Quietly I hope.
KJV

United States

#9993 Jan 2, 2013
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>Put it in context, dingbat, and see what it changes.

Changes nothing.

You're another one of the “nones”

“None”- that's a perfect description of an atheist.

Have nothing, do nothing, are nothing.
Hmmm I didn't realize that the atheist church had Nones! Do they have the flying None? How about none convents?

LOL

#9994 Jan 2, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"Evolution is not a proven fact; it’s a myth
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 6:00 am
In regard to a letter to the editor Dec. 22 saying evolution is based on fact, what fact?
I have never heard of a fact that proves evolution is anything more than people’s opinion to explain away God. There is nothing scientific about evolution."
"Evolutionists say evolution is a fact, every bit as much as gravity is a fact. That is remarkable. We see and even feel gravity everyday. Evolution, on the other hand, entails rather dramatic, one-time, events that were supposed to have occurred long ago, when no one was around to witness them. How could we be sure of such a theory? There must be some extremely powerful and compelling scientific evidence for evolution to make it a fact as gravity is a fact. That is what one would think. But, surprisingly, there is no such evidence. When evolutionists try to explain why evolution is a fact, it is a tremendous anticlimax."
Evolution has been a very costly lie.
You've obviously read none of the material I provided via link.

Here is an excerpt for you;

Endogenous retroviruses provide yet another example of molecular sequence evidence for universal common descent. Endogenous retroviruses are molecular remnants of a past parasitic viral infection. Occasionally, copies of a retrovirus genome are found in its host's genome, and these retroviral gene copies are called endogenous retroviral sequences. Retroviruses (like the AIDS virus or HTLV1, which causes a form of leukemia) make a DNA copy of their own viral genome and insert it into their host's genome. If this happens to a germ line cell (i.e. the sperm or egg cells) the retroviral DNA will be inherited by descendants of the host. Again, this process is rare and fairly random, so finding retrogenes in identical chromosomal positions of two different species indicates common ancestry.
KJV

United States

#9995 Jan 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Ironically, gang bangers are also better at finding fraud than christians. Pretty sad, considering they have no regard for human life either yet can operate even better than christians.
Of course you and everyone here knows this is just another lie by an atheist. Christians are in many line of defense against crime. Like police officers, detectives, Christians have caught much fraudulent science as they (science) keeps trying to attack Christianity.

You're an award winning None for atheist.

#9996 Jan 2, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
You've obviously read none of the material I provided via link.
Here is an excerpt for you;
Endogenous retroviruses provide yet another example of molecular sequence evidence for universal common descent. Endogenous retroviruses are molecular remnants of a past parasitic viral infection. Occasionally, copies of a retrovirus genome are found in its host's genome, and these retroviral gene copies are called endogenous retroviral sequences. Retroviruses (like the AIDS virus or HTLV1, which causes a form of leukemia) make a DNA copy of their own viral genome and insert it into their host's genome. If this happens to a germ line cell (i.e. the sperm or egg cells) the retroviral DNA will be inherited by descendants of the host. Again, this process is rare and fairly random, so finding retrogenes in identical chromosomal positions of two different species indicates common ancestry.
In humans, endogenous retroviruses occupy about 1% of the genome, in total constituting ~30,000 different retroviruses embedded in each person's genomic DNA (Sverdlov 2000). There are at least seven different known instances of common retrogene insertions between chimps and humans, and this number is sure to grow as both these organism's genomes are sequenced
KJV

United States

#9997 Jan 2, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>Thousands of Christian leaders including the pope all say you are a moron. http://www.theclergyletterproject.org/Christi ...
Oh no well like a good little atheist I should just fold up and give in to the lies. WRONG! I do not believe what a large group of people believe just because of numbers (apparently like you) I read and look at the FACTS sense there is no facts on evolution or the Big Bang or the age of the earth or the age of the universe.

Nice try Septic.
KJV

United States

#9998 Jan 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Yet ... it's always scientists who find the frauds and fallacies, not you. Why haven't you found any before the scientists themselves?

Go on, answer the question, why is it that only scientists are finding the fraudulent and fallacious scientific data?
"Yet ... it's always scientists who find the frauds and fallacies, not you. Why haven't you found any before the scientists themselves?"

This is another lie LOL. You believe science finds all the fraud and crime going on in science?

"Why haven't you found any before the scientists themselves?"

I have! I have posted it many times "none" that evolution and the Big Bang and spontaneous life are all frauds.

#9999 Jan 2, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh no well like a good little atheist I should just fold up and give in to the lies. WRONG! I do not believe what a large group of people believe just because of numbers (apparently like you) I read and look at the FACTS sense there is no facts on evolution or the Big Bang or the age of the earth or the age of the universe.
Nice try Septic.
Then there is no reason to buy into Christianity just because a large number of nimrods like yourself do.

The basis of the scientific method is to first gather the facts, then look at the available conjectures and hypothesis to determine which one fits the data the best. On that basis, I can say you are lying and this is verified by the very nature of the scientific method.

The basis of religion is to first gather the conclusions then discard all facts that do not support the conclusions. This is what you are doing and it never leads to the truth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 6 min ATHEOI 397
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 24 min Joe Fortuna 257,156
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 36 min Eagle 12 10,374
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr FedUp 21,422
What is of greater value for humanity: Chrisita... 2 hr par five 451
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr River Tam 20,327
News A Strong Muslim Identity Is the Best Defense Ag... 4 hr Romantic Romeo 17
More from around the web