Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#9808 Dec 31, 2012
derek4 wrote:
“Belief in evolution makes atheists of people. One can have a religious view that is compatible with evolution only if that religious view is indistinguishable from atheism."
That's got to be pretty threatening to you, Dim. What chance does your sadistic, bronze age god have in this modern world?

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#9809 Dec 31, 2012
Do atheists realize that when they falsely attribute quotes to Thomas Jefferson that they seriously damage their own cause?

It makes the public realize they are just “jokes”.

Thank God the atheists know how to show themselves in the worst possible light to the whole world, lol.

Keep up the good work, atheists - we love it.

http://www.chicagonow.com/publius-forum/2011/...

No copyrighted material was reproduced in this post.

Fennario

#9810 Dec 31, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Darwinism is headed for the waste bin, like other outmoded theories.
Between Darwin and Jesus, it's Jesus that will end up on the trash heap of history along with all of the other forgotten gods.

Here's a funny cartoon for you, Dim:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1040/546252526...

Location hidden

#9811 Dec 31, 2012
The Washington Post reports that 5% if scientists admitted they trashed data that contradicted their research, and 15% changed their results to please one of their sponsors (it's a money thing) or ignored observations which didn't match their findings.

Such actions are corrosive to science – and these problems are becoming more common.

Here's a link about the Washington Post report:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/...

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9812 Dec 31, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
The atheist remembered the kids.
Does that please you?
Well yes, we did.

Oh, you mean the killer, well then that makes him better than you. Which sucks because it's nicer to think of him as the scumbag.

Location hidden

#9813 Dec 31, 2012
Diederik Alexander Stapel manufactured and manpulated data to match the results he wanted in his publications.

He was found out, and consequently suspended by the University of Groningen in the Netherlands.

Mr. Stapel's fraudulent work impacted a minimum of 30 scientific publications.

Why weren't our peer review groups working to prevent all that fraud from being published? Why did the scientists who self correct everything do something long before 30 publications were completed and published? I mean, it must take quite a long time to finish and publish 30 papers!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diederik_Stapel

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9814 Dec 31, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know it was scientists, or the government watchdogs, or scientists who were under pressure by the investigations and had no choice?
There are no frauds and hoaxes in the Bible to find - that's the beauty of it. Thanks for realizing that when you point out they can't find any.
World wide flood. Bats being birds. Hearsay presented as fact.

That's just my personal favorite fraudulent claims in the bible.

Fennario

#9815 Dec 31, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
That seems to sum things up nicely. Why are we not all Materialists?
Some of us need magic to cope.

Fennario

#9816 Dec 31, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
That's one of my favorite quotes. I usually sub politician for "king" to keep it current. Is that fair?
I like it! Happy New Year, my friend, to you, to those that you love, and to those that love you.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9817 Dec 31, 2012
derek4 wrote:
The Washington Post reports that 5% if scientists admitted they trashed data that contradicted their research, and 15% changed their results to please one of their sponsors (it's a money thing) or ignored observations which didn't match their findings.
Such actions are corrosive to science – and these problems are becoming more common.
Here's a link about the Washington Post report:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/...
Hmm ... looks like ... maybe .... um ....

Yeah, you do realize that's why the scientific method works, such frauds do not make it as long standing theories. You are merely offering more evidence that science works, because if any of this fraud made it through for long, you'd be dead from Aspirin.

Location hidden

#9818 Dec 31, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well yes, we did.
Oh, you mean the killer, well then that makes him better than you. Which sucks because it's nicer to think of him as the scumbag.
You like atheist killers, then?

That's why no one would want your help on a country road, lol.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9819 Dec 31, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Do atheists realize that when they falsely attribute quotes to Thomas Jefferson that they seriously damage their own cause?
It makes the public realize they are just “jokes”.
Thank God the atheists know how to show themselves in the worst possible light to the whole world, lol.
Keep up the good work, atheists - we love it.
http://www.chicagonow.com/publius-forum/2011/...
First a bunch of assertions, I mean "lie?" Until you present evidence your claims are supported by reality, then it's you who is lying, not us. Of course that's all moot, your foot stomping is actually hurting your case more, rather ironic considering your post, no?

Fennario

#9820 Dec 31, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
From Secularhumanism.org
"Far from living in a moral vacuum, secular humanists “wish to encourage wherever possible the growth of moral awareness.”(The quote comes from “A Secular Humanist Declaration,” the Council for Secular Humanism’s founding document, authored by Paul Kurtz.)
Secular humanists believe human values should express a commitment to improve human welfare in this world.(Of course, human welfare is understood in the context of our interdependence upon the environment and other living things.) Ethical principles should be evaluated by their consequences for people, not by how well they conform to preconceived ideas of right and wrong.
Secular humanism denies that meaning, values, and ethics are imposed from above. In that it echoes simple atheism. But secular humanism goes further, challenging humans to develop their own values. Secular humanism maintains that through a process of value inquiry, reflective men and women can reach rough agreement concerning values, and craft ethical systems that deliver desirable results under most circumstances.
Indeed, say secular humanists, the basic components of effective morality are universally recognized.

Paul Kurtz has written of the “common moral decencies”—qualities including integrity, trustworthiness, benevolence, and fairness. These qualities are celebrated by almost every human religion, not because God ordained them, but because human beings cannot thrive in communities where these values are ignored.
Secular humanism offers a nonreligious template that may one day guide much of humanity in pursuing fulfilling and humane lives—lives that are rich intellectually, ethically, and emotionally, without reliance on religious faith."
Thanks for that.

Incase you hadn't heard, Paul Kurtz just passed away this year.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/28/p...

Location hidden

#9821 Dec 31, 2012
We need to be sure we've adequately covred Mr. Stapel, in case there are any doubts.

The included link from Scientific American contains more details on the corruptness of Diederik Stapel and the far reaching impact his fraudulent work had on science.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...

Fennario

#9822 Dec 31, 2012
Khatru wrote:
Thanks again! It certainly shows that despite the bluster of the believers - they're running scared.
I'm listening to Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap and laughing out loud at it. It followed Strange Brew and Over The Hills And Far Away on our classic rock TV station, so I was in a particularly great mood when it came on. I knew that you would want to know.

Happy happy joy joy to the Khatru's!

Now, it's Lennon's Woman.

Location hidden

#9823 Dec 31, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
First a bunch of assertions, I mean "lie?" Until you present evidence your claims are supported by reality, then it's you who is lying, not us. Of course that's all moot, your foot stomping is actually hurting your case more, rather ironic considering your post, no?
Be sure to relay your false defenses to the web page publishers. They've probably already heard them, though - lol.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9824 Dec 31, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Be sure to relay your false defenses to the web page publishers. They've probably already heard them, though - lol.
Yes, even stupid people have websites, even people as stupid as you are.
KJV

United States

#9825 Dec 31, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>It's just funny that you obsess on the motes in science's eye while ignoring the BEAMS hanging out of religion's eye (with banners, flags and flashing lights). LOL
Such wit. I certainly can't expect to keep up with that.

Does it pain you so much that science is far from perfect?
And the Bible is perfect?

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#9826 Dec 31, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Such wit. I certainly can't expect to keep up with that.
Does it pain you so much that science is far from perfect?
And the Bible is perfect?
A god beaten by iron chariots, birds with mammary glands, rats and 'roids dipt in molten gold, parents forced to eat their own children, such is the perfection of the Christains "Holy Bible", from which they claim comes a perfect god.

Hmm, well even they know better, it is filth and it is insane, this buybull, and the buybull god

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#9827 Dec 31, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't want the publishers to benefit from your vast wisdom?
Maybe that's because you realize that you don't have anything credible to present to them.
It's more that I know that they won't listen. I know that there are lurkers here that will listen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 20 min _Bad Company 22,920
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 52 min ChristineM 228,516
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 55 min Richardfs 5,584
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Richardfs 674
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 2 hr Andre 463
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 2 hr Thinking 2
Is Religion Childish? 2 hr Thinking 2

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE